Options

Barcelona Marathon 2011

Comments

• Options
    Are we going to be receiving a race pack in the post with maps on and stuff or are we just going to rely on the detail on the web site? Anyone who has done this before know the answer?
  • Options
    TheClaw wrote (see)

Carrot - I can't see that there's any chance that Barcelona will play on the Sunday with the Second Leg of the Champions League v Arsenal on the Tuesday 8th. I won't be going to the footy if it's Saturday - wil need my rest before the big day !!

I was thinking that for both points! I'm a 'bed before 10pm' girl on a regular night, never mind the night before a marathon. Damn you Champions league!

I hope we do get something in the post pre-race, I like a bit of reading and maps etc before a marathon.

Hope you get sorted Simone, it would be such a shame to miss out after training for this.

I've never had any email updates mind, I quite like the slightly confused translation! Moisturised? After every shower or bath, so I should be OK. Phew.

• Options
    Dean NDean N ✭✭✭

Hello All , 

first week of tapering nearly over, just got a 16 mile run to do on sun , ran 8 mile tonight with 4 at race pace,

felt good , it makes a change to feel ok after a run after weeks of being knackered all the time , also been eating loads .!

Looking at the long range forecast , if Europe dosn,t get a cold snap in the next couple of weeks  it could be reasonably warm towards the end of the marathon for us northern European dwellers  , so I have started to over dress a bit when training as an acclimatization process.

Also thinking of doing the breakfast run on sat morn to loosen up the legs!

Elizabeth 

Thats some serious mileage or ks you have been running , what sort of time you hoping for?

Carrot 

As the Claw said , can't see the Barca game going ahead on the sun with the Arsenal  game on the Tue

I wont go to the game on the Sat as I like a nice relaxing early night before a marathon.

Simone 

I arrive in Barcelona fri lunch time and will be going to the expo fri afternoon to pick up my race number etc , if there is an way I can help and pick up yours just let me know , I am  staying at hotel expo very close to start ,

• Options

Been doing lots of Garden clearance this week (my work) and have only done one significant run on wednesday a fast 6 miler . Tuesdays speed session was a wash out so only did 2 miles . Will run 6 miles today and 18 miles tomorrow.          I am eating all the time but as I am doing so much physical work as well I just have to.    I'm making sure I take Gingko and zinc and Ovaltine as a recovery drink.

Chilled out about rest of training , hey this is supposed to be fun ! image 

SImone   hope you get sorted

Key Board _Worrior        Just realised I thought you were keyboard warrior !   What a diffrence a letter makes.   I hope they give us a better map.   I'm still chewing my way through the Google Earth tour of the route which is pretty impressive, but takes ages to 'run' through.

The breakfast run looks good fun the day before

Off to drag the dog in the rain ...   well that's another mile !  .. have fun all

• Options

I arrive in Barcelona fri lunch time and will be going to the expo fri afternoon to pick up my race number etc , if there is an way I can help and pick up yours just let me know , I am  staying at hotel expo very close to start ,

Dean,

THANK YOU! That is a reeeally kind offer that I may ust take you up on!image

I think what I'll do is see if I get a response from the organisers on Monday (just emailed them Friday afternoon so will give them a chance) 

But if they cant help me, you and I can arrange something? Are you coming in from London?

I'm staying very near to the start line too so, sounds like that could work!

I always knew runners were a good bunch :...)

• Options
    Dean N - I am a tortoise compared to most. I would be happy with a PB of sub 4.15 but would LOVE 4.05. Hoping for a sub 4hr at Berlin in September.

What are everyone else's expectations/predictions?
  • Options

Am hoping to get under  3:45     (3:47 PB at London ~4 years ago ) but  closer to 3 :30 I'd be v happy image

• Options

ooooh no idea what run to do tomoz??? image

don't want to go mad, but dont want to be too lazy with 2 weeks still to go?!

Easyjet fly out of a few london airports Simone if you were still thinking about flying out earlier, look like they are about £100 -ish, better than 250 from BA, if that's your last option. Hopefully someone can pick up your number for you, not sure how strict they are on picking up numbers in person? I can't remember them being OTT in Amsterdam, just the confirmation email I think.

I don't think we will be getting a race pack KW turn up at the magic fountains on sunday morning (can't remember it being such an early start when I booked it, lol... 8:30am means breakfast at about 6am!!) and then follow the masses (unless you were thinking of setting the pace at the front image)

14,600 entered now, bit of a surge in numbers.

• Options
    I am hoping to improve on Amsterdam's 3.21 by 6 mins to 3.15. No idea if it is realistic or not.
  • Options

Possibly more realistic than me KW!

I'm targetting the same, and I did 3:30 in Amsterdam. 

• Options

On the Irish thread there are a number including myself arriving in at 17.20 on the Saturday and people were offering to colect race numbers. They were saying that in orevious years the E-mail Confirmation  ID was enough.  I have 2hours to get accross to the Expo to get mine so should be fine. At 16 Stone and Fifty Years Old and 5'10" I will be happy to beat 4:30image

• Options
    Dean NDean N ✭✭✭

Simone

I fly out from London , if your hotel is close to mine I should be able to drop off your goodie bag/number  at the hotel so its there when you arrive, as Jim said I am sure email confermation is ok  . Just let me know if you needhelp.

Elizabeth 

I expect to finish somewhere around the 3 hour mark , if I can get sub 3 will be well pleased to say the least  .

Right ankle has been a bit sore today , due to run 16 mile in the morning so will see how I feel when i wake up , may need an extra day rest.

• Options
    Wake Up! Where is everyone today? Last long run done and now time to taper. If someone finds where I have left my speed could you let me know? I was supposed to do some Marathon Paced stuff today but it just did not happen. I hope my body is saving itself for two weeks time.
  • Options
    Dean NDean N ✭✭✭
    Very worried , woke up this morning felt fine so headed off for a 16 mile run , after a mile or so ankle started to hurt , had many niggles before so carried on thinking I could run it off ,the pain got worse and dropped my pace considerably .
    When I got home i had a feel around and realised pain was lower shin not ankle ,now very concerned that I have a stress fracture which will def rule me out of the marathon , so its rest now, take a couple of days off and see what happens might ,hope I am completely wrong.
    Keyboard worrier I was doing marathon paced work on friday eve which brought this on so take it very easy!

• Options
    Thanks for the advice I hope that you are just suffering from taper aches and pains and it's not as bad as a stress fracture.

I underestimated the conditions today. 3 degrees C with no hat or gloves and a cold coastal breeze soon put a dampner on my early morning enthusiasm.
  • Options

Dean-  fingers and toes crossed that it's nothing serious and after a couple of days off you'll be fine and dandy image

I only did 11 miles today  at marathon pace, felt good, but conscious that we;ve two weeks left and don't want to over do things (increase speed and miles). Gonna have 3 rest days this week and start to taper and take it easy.

• Options
    Dean NDean N ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the positive thoughts , going to take at least 3 days off and see how it feels.
    Sarah
    11 miles at this stage is more than enough , as they say less is better than more !
  • Options
    Dean - sending you recovery vibes!!
  • Options

Take it easy peeps, if you feel a niggle back right off, it's taper time, too late to gain anymore fitness before the marathon, but not too late to get injuries.

Hope it's just tired muscles Dean and nothing more serious.

Having said that, I did an odd run out today, set off at LSR pace, then after a mile increased speed a little. Then again each mile after that and at 5, 10, and 15km too. Ended up doing 11 miles and final mile was at somewhere between 5 and 10km pace. ooops, so much for taking it easy!!

14 days to go.

• Options
    Hi folks just found this thread .  This will be my 6th marathon but first one abroad . PB is 3.48 so would love to be sub 3.45 but feel a bit undertrained and have mild R shin splintsfrom running in the snow in Dec in my trail shoes rather than using my orthotics in my usual shoes .  Just back from a week skiing ( does that count as cross training !? ) glad to have escaped injury .  Managed 20 miles b4 I left and 11 today as taper run . 14 days gulp
  • Options

Last long run - supposed to be 18 miles slow , but did 15 miles at near marathon pace in 2 h2 mins , at that pace would finish marathon in about 3 37 . 

Just bought thin hat with sun visor. If its hot on teh day its make it doubly worse with sun right in your eyes. One thing I thought is that we can probably run in thre shade of Barcas building which are mostly 4- 6 storeys high.      Night all.   zzzz. 

• Options
    Hi all ....

Its getting near !!!!

I saw the Physio AGAIN today and had all sorts of needles pushed repeatedly into the knee bone `something pricking ` he called it ???

Anyway my knee feels 100% better than it has for the last week..
    So all is not lost ..I still may make the start line !!!

I think any chance of a PB has gone ...but hey I`ll take a start and finish !!

• Options

Ran some of the course yesterday during my 15 miler. The part up to half way is a gentle incline and worth looking out for, but then downhill effectively until 15 miles when you have the 2 miles each way up and down Diagonal to Torre Agbar. It was about 15 degrees yesterday and planned to be like that all this week. Also cycled the last 5km as well to show TJQueen and she said it was likely to cost her 20 seconds on the last 5km.

I´m now committed to running this as a training run for London and hoping for 3:10-3:15ish in BCN with something a little quicker in London, but we´ll see on the day how it goes. I´m treating it as 

For those flying out on the Saturday and only having a couple of hours to get to the expo, if you take a taxi from the airport to plaça Espana, it will take 20 mins and there are usually loads at the airport. If you are taking the train, you need to take the free bus to T2 (low cost airlines usually fly into here) and then get yourself on the train (T10 ticket is now €8.25 but singles are 1.60ish) Get off at Sants, come out of the station main entrance... look right and up and you shoudl see a glowing sign which says Torre Cataluyna. Walk round this hotel and turn right..... and keep going for 10 mins to get to the expo. For those in the expo hotel, it´s directly behind the Torre.

Yes there will be some shade as you run, but a lot of the roads are quite wide that you run through, so the shade can be lacking. There will also be a number of places where there are not crowds, but others where it´s like London. The first 3 miles are uphill as far as I can work out and don´t forget to look at Camp Nou as you run past.... last year I forgot totally to look at Sagrada Familla but there are so many sights on the run, that you can easily miss a few

• Options

Can anyone confirm if the Powerade comes in bottles or cups?

Ran in Amsterdam last year and got a tiny half-filled cup at each station, most of which I ended up spilling.  Really need more than that or I will have to carry my own.

• Options

Good point, I was gonna take my camel as I find the more I stop the harder it is to get started again image

I can only drink lout of bottles or the camel as I end up choking/coughing up the drink, yuck.

Does anyone else run with a camel? The sloshing around is annoying for the first few miles then you kinda get used to it

• Options
    Thanks JK for all of the info on getting around Barce, very useful!! image
  • Options

I managed a brisk 12 miles in 1:31 yesterday, roughly the pace I want to start the marathon.  Going by Amsterdam the last 5/10k will be a struggle, but I'm hoping for under 3:30.

• Options
    Sarah - I carry a fist-bot as I don't want to stop at the water stations. Half way round I hope to see my family to be given a replenished bottle.

Getting nervous now! I am always like this prior to a race, full of doubt and anxiety.

The Jiffle King - Thanks for sharing the info' about the course.
  • Options

Thanks for the info Jiffle King , 15C sounds a bit warm, but I guess that will be afternoon when hopefully most people have got around and finished. Far from that here in Lanc's, in fact it's snowing quite heavily at the moment, not staying on the ground yet, just thinking about sticking to the cars brrrr!!

Not sure I like the idea of running with a Camelback, too much sloshing about, and I know if I filled it up I would still have loads left when I finished (carrying the extra weight for nothing) and if I part filled it I would drink it all and need to use cups anyway, lol.

• Options

Sorry I cannot remember if the powerade is in bottles, I think so, but not honestly sure.

I think the race starts at 9am, so it´s 13-14 by 1200. Again we don´t know the forecast yet, but I´ll keep an eye out over the next few days. I´m actually going to be in the UK tomorrow til Thursday so will load up on cold runs.

For spectators.... If you have spectators, there are plenty of places to see people. I would recommend using the Metro to get around or hire bikes as it´s very easy. You won´t be able to use the red& white Bicing bikes which locals use to go around the city. There are plenty of places where you can see people. Last year TJQ saw me at 10k (approx) on Carrer Tarragona, then over towards halfway where there is an out and back opprtunity.... then on the bridge which crosses some patch of water and then twice up diagonal and back.... They did miss me at the finish... but oh well. The last mile, the crowds start getting thicker and at the finish, they are 4-5 deep.

Sarah -  TJQ also suffered from this, but was taught a trick by a running friend.. She now tilts her head and holds the water in her mouth before swallowing... makes things much better