Options

People who walk the Marathon

Comments

• Options
    Just read through the thread, Stress Man it must be very annoying having to go past slower runners in races but please no barging past them, I have had experience of being nearly knocked over by so called faster runners.

Planning to walk some of my next marathon.

Bye.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    I know many who would agree with you Stress Man about the number of walkers in London.

Race walking at elite level is far different to race walking at non elite level as is running at elite level different to running at non elite level!

As far as I'm concerned a marathon is a running race unless it's stated as a Long Distance Walking event! Not that it's not ok to walk parts, but surely not 'huge' parts unless injured and have no option as desperate to finish!

London should be a runners marathon first and then a charity event not the other way round! Give London back to the runners!!
  • Options
    Have you gone to your bunker yet, hilly?!
  • Options
    Hilly, please explaing "Race walking at elite level is far different to race walking at non elite level as is running at elite level different to running at non elite level".

• Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    TSTG-what I mean by that is that during a marathon it is unlikely for someone who walks to be able to walk at a pace quicker than they can run, if they are runners.

Race Walkers train specifically for Race Walking and their event is not a running marathon event, although I agree they do have Race Walking marathons!

Running at 'our' level is far different to running at elite level was just a way of trying to explain. We would not be able to run in an elite race because we are too slow. Therefore those who plan on walking the majority of a marathon would be better to enter one of the Long Distance Walking events not London Marathon!

This is not meant to offend anyone and if we are all runners then surely that is our aim-to run the whole distance at whatever pace we can!
  • Options
    It's also a blinking sight faster! A good race walker can do 10k well inside 40 minutes, which is a lot faster than me!

I had a bad experience at the Carlton 10k a couple of years back -an otherwise fantastic race - a load of people were walking after I caught up with them (about 400 yards) so must have positioned themselves in a position regardless of the fact that they would get in the way of faster runners. I can't really see what they gained from this either.

As long as people make a decent attempt to start at a position in line with their pace then it avoids the problem altogether. I know this can be difficult to judge exactly, but some people don't seem to even try.
  • Options
    don't dis run walkers
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    "don't dis run walkers"? I'm not, I'm just giving my opinion as to what running a marathon means to me and that doesn't include walking large chunks of a marathon if it can be helped.

• Options
    I guess that rules me out for a marathon then. I'm bound to walk, haven't gone past 5k yet.
  • Options
    No tall
    Just pick the right marathon
    One which supports slow people

FLM does
    Actually, so does the potteries
  • Options
    as ever i couldn't be a**** to read the entire thread

but my two penneth is that i don't mind at all if people want to go slower, or faster, than me - provided they do it courteously

eg a few times (at FLMs) i have been caught behind people walking three or four abreast in the middle of the road and chatting... then people stream past on either side and because I'm not a completely rude git i dont want to run out and cause them to fall over, so you get stuck for a while.... i've said excuse me and actually been moaned at and not excused, so had to resort to barging without (in those circumstances) any regrets

a simple rule like 'slow on the left, fast on the right' or whatever would do it

anyway my next marathon is san diego in january, which my friend who lives there tells me is much freer flowing
  • Options
    Two separate thing shere surely - run/walkers who do a bit of each and can keep going for ages, and those who have to walk for the vast majority.

If people want to do big long walks then there's nothign wrong with that, although it is tough in itself. If you want to give a fair attempt at running a decent chunk of a marathon Nicky, then I wouldn't expect you to be ready yet. It will come with time though. Each new distance will feel tough, but then a few months later is easy.

My first 10k I couldn't conceive of how anyone could run a step further. Then a few months later I'd done a half, but couldn't see how it was possible to run another step. And so on!

I do agree with Andy though - a bit of basic thinking of it from other people's perpspective and getting to the side if you're slowing down makes life a lot easier!
  • Options
    Andys point is very valid
  • Options
    i do not mind i have big, big respect to anyone who finishes a half/ full marathon whether they walk, run, whatever, the aim is to enjoy as much as possible, do not knock down the slower runner/walkers we need as many people as possible to keep events going. if anything its the faster, continuous winning runners that get on my nerves by complaining about the prize money, at the end of the day i pay my fee for part of it to go to top so called elite. i have mentioned this before but by far the best idea i have seen is in south africa where they have trophies for the winners but the rest of the big prizes are drawn out at the end of the race and everyone gets a chance at the main prize, brilliant!!
  • Options
    Cool it guys and gals. There's a place for everyone who wants to run, run/walk, or just walk a marathon. Finishing it and being content with your performance is what counts, and sod the whingers!

From my perspective as probably the most senior (i.e. the oldest) female marathoner on the forum, I've run 30 marathons in all sorts of times between my worst of 5hrs 43 and best of 3 hrs 48, but I don't think that makes me 'better' than anyone else, all it proves is I've got a lot of determination. I would never put down another human being who has put their fitness and mental toughness to the marathon test - it's a hell of a long way however you complete it.
  • Options
    Any room in ze bunker ?!!!!!!!

But first an apology - I had to walk the last 7 miles of FLM due to injury and was concious I was getting in the way of others - as said on other threads, in hindsight I should have stopped and headed for the nearest physio

One obvious answer is a protocol for where those walking should walk (as ever, I stuck to the far left !)

Back to the issue though. Interesting article in current RRC mag about 'down under' where, it seems, there is an increasing demand for 'run-walk' events (followed by a medal, BBQ etc) but a diminishing interest in road running. The author eventually found a race to enter and was surprised to win his category having done 12.5 k in 75 mins

A chum who lives in Seattle was recently moaning about a similar situation in the US. Overtaking also seen as being politically incorrect and something you have to apologise for when doing (I'd be OK then !)

Best of all was attempts by some organisers to make only US runners eligible for cash prizes (Kenyans etc cleaning-up). Needless to say, I don't believe a word (US Lawyers please note)

Incoming !!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    its a hard one because if you are trying to get a PB then you are naturally going to get peeved if people are walking and you can't get past. (even though I do think that running should be for everyone).

I think the two things should be:

1. Don't stand at the front of the pack at the start if you are planning on going round slowly.

2. Just try and stick to the left-hand side or whatever if you are walking.

I ran a 10k race yesterday in Australia and wanted to see how fast I could get round. I had problems at the start with slower runners and whilst trying to be careful and apologising for weaving in and out a bit, I think I definitely managed to annoy a few people. Oops!
  • Options
    good manners all round is the form. last year i did rfl in Bath plannd to walk all tw wayand did as i was asked an kept near the back. it was chaos especially in the single file bits
  • Options
    SeelaSeela ✭✭✭
    Walking is fine if you stay inside the cut-off time publicised by the race organisers, or you expect to make reasonable progress.

We put on a 7.5m race. Last finisher is usually 1hr30. in 2001 we had somebody walk, and they took 2hr30. We had marshals who had given up their time just waiting for this one individual. Not only that, our sweep vehicle followed them around, so if any other runner had got injured it may have been some time before they were rescued.
    This damn person wouldn't accept that she was being inconsiderate and when asked to use the sweep vehicle refused. So last year we introduced a 1.5 hour cut off time, and stated that if you were outside the cutoff time you could either get into the sweep vehicle or find your own way since the marshals would be withdrawn.

• Options
    that woman clearly showed a total lack of consideration for everyone else. its vry sensible to have a cut off
  • Options
    Fruity, I'm far from ready for a marathon, yet to do my first R4L.
  • Options
    Stress is back.The Marathon is for runners if you want to walk do a sponsered walk!!!!!
  • Options
    I see

How kind of you
  • Options
    Well said JJ! Stress Man, you simply cannot assume that everyone who walks either has done so the whole way or hasn't succumbed to injury, isn't feeling deathly sick, or any one of a number of other things. Some of those you're moaning about were probably suffering a great deal but still absolutely determined to finish. FLM is a fund-raising event not a pure runners' race, and many of those horrible walkers raised millions of pounds for worthy causes. If you want to do a fast time, with a clear field to run in and unhampered by any other runners - go and run one of the other big marathon events in the world and leave FLM to those who enjoy it. For 'real' racing I've run 24 other marathons, but I've done FLM 6 times for the sheer enjoyment.
    Get a life, mate.
  • Options
    well said ironwolf. ran and walked this year with painful hamstring injury.i wou;dn't have done that if i wasn't running for Great Ormond St hospital. it was all the motivation i needed to walk across that line,forget fast times.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Oh well I obviously need to get a life too as I run the marathon for a 'time'.

While I agree there is lots of dosh raised for very good causes, I do believe that not everyone wants to run London to raise money for charity.

It's a fantastic marathon, but I think a staggered start might ease some of the crowd difficulty. This shouldn't be a problem with runners now wearing chips.
  • Options
    As far as I can see the main problem is the start zone SM was in - I can't remember the boundaries but I'm pretty sure zone 6 is way too far back for sub 4. I suspect the people around him were in the right zone!

I do think those who want to go for times should be able to at London - it isn't JUST about fund raising.

And I do think some basic courtesy to try to help out others if you do want to walk helps. When I wanted to take a bit of a long slow drink towards the end I just made sure I was past the drinks station, pulled in to the side of the road and walked. It doesn't take much.
  • Options
    hilly, I don't mean to offend, but how can you say you run London for a good race time when they only just started using the chip to show your real elapsed running time? Or was 2003 your first FLM? All other major marathons have been using the chip for years to show your actual time.
    I am serious when I say if you really want a good time run some other race. There are just too many people on the FLM course simply out to have a good enjoyable day to be sure of you getting conditions absolutely right for a great race time. Too much time and effort goes into training to risk losing a PB because of crowds hampering you. My PB came in Munich.
  • Options
    And everyone - I truly do not mean to offend anyone. I simply think London has evolved so far from where it began that to run a PB or near it, runners should think about doing a different race for the PB,and just do FLM for fun.