Options

People who walk the Marathon

Comments

• Options
    TmapTmap ✭✭✭
    You are right, of course. Plus there's a fairly strong case to say that the right answer is the one which raises most money for charity, by whatever means.

Not quite comfortable with that myself, as only a small portion of money that people are raising for charity is actually going to the charity, and the rest is ploughed into the FLM. But the FLM has always been portrayed in the media as a small elite race followed by a giant Blue Peter parade, so they are at least being consistent.

• Options
    Well if that was the case TMAP then why not sell off all the places? That would presumably raise even more money?
  • Options
    SeelaSeela ✭✭✭
    FT- They do. Thats why charities buy golden bond places and then require their runners to raise £1k+

I think a golden bond place costs a charity somewhare between £200 and £500 each.

Mayebee they should set the entry fee at £200? There's a thought!
  • Options
    No - I said ALL the places - meaning as Gold Bonds for several hundred quid each.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to run away after I've posted this message:-

I think you are all too obsessed with FLM.

If you want to run a real marathon, try the Cornish or Snowdonia or Isle of Wight.

If you want a fast time run Dublin or Abingdon.

I also think it's important to support races within the area that you live, so run your local marathon and show everybody that you are a real marathon runner not a once a year FLM entrant (providing you get in of course!!)

I'll just sneak off now.......
  • Options
    FLM *is* my local marathon!

Well - okay, Kingston as well, but I was planning on doing that too :)
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Sneaked back - KIngston is good for a PB, haven't done it myself but paskha knocked a huge chunk of her PB there last year.

If FLM is you local, I think you should have a priority entry.
  • Options
    Suits me!! :)

Kingston is just too late for a GFA attempt so I'm going down to Cardiff - which is a shame as I like the route, I do it regularly in training.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I did ask earlier in this thread what the GFA's are now.

Please tell me.......

What about Wolverhampton, isn't that a faster course?
  • Options
    See the FLM website, then entries, then GFA times.

I did look at Wolverhampton - two weeks earlier as I recall which isn't good for me considering I've sat on me bum for two months since London!
  • Options
    just been and looked fruity and they seem really strange - men 18-40 but women 18-49 - seems weird that someone of 18 can run the same time as someone of 48 and get the same timescale - thought there might have been some benefits to being 40!! still if you wait till next year 2005 you will be gfa if you are under 3-15 !
  • Options
    The average finishing time in London (and every other big city marathon) is getting slower every year so I guess the GFA thing is a waste of time anyway.
  • Options
    bazza

Do you think thats because the faster people are generally getting slower or because there a more people who are slower (and didn't used to enter) entering hence bringing the average down.

If its the second then surely thats good because you don't have to be good to give it a go and get more active but if it that the faster people no longer go so fast or don't take part than thats bad.

Wonder which it is? I'd go for the former but for no good reason.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Shades-I personally don't care whether I run London marathon or not. But seeing as it's supposed to be 'the event' of the UK racing calender then it's only fair that those club runners who support smaller races throughout the year should get first chance to run it!

After all it's clubs that keep running alive!!

BTW-I do many races each year and very few are mass participation. I don't really like the huge events, but like most have done them to experience the atmosphere.

I agree there are lots of marathons that could and should have support.
  • Options
    Possibly true hilly but on the otherside of the arguement I can't make it to a club, I don't get home from work in time does that make me less eligible for the marathon?
  • Options
    Tulips - I think the boring answer is that it's a bit of both. I certainly believe that people shouldn't be ruled out of London simply because they are not 'fast'. However, it is interesting that the overall standard is falling year on year (as it is in distance running generally).

When it began, the LM helped improve distance running in the UK, but this effect has now worn off even though the number of participants has increased. One reason is that people's lifestyle have changed even in the short span of 20 years and the goal of running 'fast' has been replaced by more wider concerns about health and fitness. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but I remember when I started running you just went out and ran as far and as fast you could. I know lots of guys who come down to my club having completed the London in the 3:10-30 range on that sort of 'simple' training. A few years later they were all running 2:30-40. That doesn't seem to happen anymore.

Times change.
  • Options
    Buney - I get that anyhow as i'll be 41 by the day of the race - rang up and checked it :)

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Tulips - I'm in 3 running clubs, 4 if you include RRC. Never, ever, go to training but still enjoy the benefits of being a club member, and still feel part of my clubs despite not turning up to club nights.

& proud to represent those clubs in races too.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    bazza-your comments are interesting and I agree that the standard of distance running is declining.

I was a time keeper at an athletics meeting last week for Area Championships (schools)and it was so disappointing to see the poor number of entrants in the longer distance events. Two of the events didn't take place because there were no competitors, yet they was on the programme-the steeple chase and 3000 metres.

Even more of a shame when you think these youngsters are the future of athletics and possibly road/country racing!

Tulips-I wouldn't say you are any less eligible to have a place in the marathon. I just personally feel clubs should get more of a shout!

Like Shades says you can belong to a club without having to go to their training nights. Last summer I never got chance to go to mine, but I wore my club vest with pride at races.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Sorry about the grammar!
  • Options
    I too belong to a club but only go down occasionally due to other pressures.

Everyone's cool with that though - I turn up to help out with race marshalling etc when possible still and get a lot of benefit from it. I try to make the Sunday long runs even though I can't make the sessions in the week.
  • Options
    I think the point is not so much being a club member, although this has many benefits whether you make club nights or not, but whether you support smaller races throughout the year.

The race calendar would be pretty poor if it just consisted of FLM, GNR, Silverstone half marathon and the British 10k.

The people who keep `bog standard' distance running going throughout the year by entering races of 200-400 competitors deserve a better chance of running the No.1 running event of the year than other people.

Sorry if that offends but that is my honest opinion.
  • Options
    It's the same priniciple if my football team got to the FA Cup final, I'd expect season ticket holders and regular fans to get priority over me who maybe goes a dozen times a year.
  • Options
    And me to get priority over Joe Public who just wants to turn up for the one big match.

I've finished now.

Cheers.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Maybe then to enter the marathon you should show evidence of supporting smaller races (at least 5) throughout the year.

• Options
    I agree with you BR! here here!
  • Options
    Back to the original thread ...

Last year I took part in a local 10k - about 800 entrants - and guess what !

Looking to do the race in 50 - 55 mins I took up a place about 2/3rds from the front
    of the pack. It took about 30 secs to cross the start line but for the first 1/2 mile I couldn't run at training pace let alone race pace. Being a smallish race no road closures were in force so runners were limited to 1/2 a road, a path and a strip of grass - a hill thrown in as well also slowed people down. There was no way to get past the slower runners without cutting up or barging past others.

Then after about 7k, I started to come across those that had gone off to fast and were slowing down. By 8k people were walking...2 or 3 abreast chating away.. forcing anyone who wanted to get past into the middle of the road. At this time we were being told to keep left by the marshals where theres no path, just road.

The moral of the story.. even in a small race if you want a PB..be a selfish a***hole and start from the front and force others to go round you.

P.S. finished in 55'42"
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    We need to ask race organisers to put up time boards for races that have a large field and a lot of 1st timers, as they do at FLM.
  • Options
    It doesn't seem to make a lot of difference, Shades. Even at FLM, where there is some attempt to enforce the time zones, a 7-hour marathoner can easily get placed in one of the forward pens by putting a predicted finishing time of 3:45 or whatever on their form.

At the GNR and Reading (and, no doubt at lots of other large-entry races, but those are the only ones I've done) there is some attempt to zone racers according to predicted finishing time. Nobody seems to take a blind bit of notice. I'm doing GNR again this year, expect at best to barely crack 2 hours, and I will BE one of the selfish @aseholes standing as near the front as I can. Last year I played by the rules, started at the 2:20 board, and spent the entire race overtaking people who were just mucking around. I'd willingly defend anyone's right to enter a high-profile event like the GNR and spend the entire time slowly congo-ing back and forth across the road - their entrance fee is as good as mine - but not if they start in front of me and spoil my prospects of getting a PB, because that's why I'm there (actually, it's not, but let's not get bogged down with accuracy) and my entrance fee is as good as theirs.

I'll do the same at Reading now that I know they rank finishing times according to clock rather than chip times.

I was going to say I'd had no bother at small local races, but that's only because last year I did the muddy MTs for fun rather than for a time, so being bottlenecked crossing fields and going over stiles didn't matter. This autumn, with existing PBs for the off-road races over eccentric distances hanging over my head, I might feel differently.

I got far more enjoyment from FLM this year when I was able to run it all than I did last year when I walked all of the last 8 miles and big chunks of the previous 4 miles because I hadn't trained properly for the distance. That was despite starting in Pen 9 and having to pass people all the way to the finish.