Options

2011 Fitness Goals

Here we go then, as 2011 is almost upon us, I've been thinking about my fitness goals for 2011. Apparently people who write them down have a far greater chance of achieving what they are aiming for if the goals are actually written down.

With that in mind I've created 10 fitness goals covering running, swimming, cycling, and general fitness - all the activities that I love! I'll be monitoring my progress against these throughout the year and I hoped that others on the RW forums and/or Twitter might like to do the same.

Enough preamble, here are my goals for 2011:

1. Run the Liverpool Marathon on 09.10.11 (target time: sub-3:27)

2. Improve on my 5K Parkrun PB of 18:56

3. Race an event in the Lake District either on Road or Trail

4. Run 4 Half Marathons in the year

5. Complete a 5K swim (either Swimathon or independently)

6. Complete all rounds of Winterswim (winterswim.co.uk)

7. Do at least one bike ride of 60+ Miles

8. Cycle a total of 1,300 miles in the year (ave 25 miles/week)

9. Complete the 6-week 200 Situps programme (iphone app)

10. Complete the 6-week 100 Pressups programme (iphone app)

For the Twitterati out there, you can follow my progress at twitter.com/john_robson and hopefully,if others join in, on this thread too.

Please join in with your own goals and let's make 2011 the year when we all achieve something special!

JR

Comments

• Options
    Bloody hell. All you need to round that off is to run a marathon on the moon. Good luck to you.
  • Options

I feel tired just reading that JR!!!!!

Your defo up for a challenge!!

I probably only have half of the amount of goals that you have, so here goes:

1. Complete first Marathon in March (Barcleona) in less than 5 hrs

2. Do at least 4 halves (aim for sub 2hrs)

3. Sign up for another marathon around Oct/ Sep in UK 

4.Complete a 10k in 50 mins

5. Aim to be injury free all year :0)

Well that feels quite liberating making these goals..... thank you for sharing your ideas and for sthe motivation!!

• Options

I only have a few so here goes!

1. Run a sub 50 10 K

2. Run  park run sub 23

3. Run my second half Marathon (23 Jan) in under 1 hr 55 ( 1hour 50 would be great but a bit optimistic for January).

Next 10K is boxing day I think but dont think I can realistically do it then! 

• Options
    mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    id agree that writing your goals down makes you more likely to achieve them! after a bit of a poor month or so on the training front il happily document my goals for 2011.
    1. one off road trail ultra
    2. a sub 1.35 half marathon
    3. a sub 3.40 marathon
    4. one off road duathlon
    5. 1000 running miles
    6. marshall in at least one event
  • Options

1. Figure out and get rid of a recurring hamstring injury which has slowed me a bit this year

2. Sub 36 10k.(28 seconds to go)

3. Sub 17:15 5k. (21 seconds to go)

4. Sub 29 5 miler. (27 seconds to go)

5. More miles than 2010. (~1300 will be achieved by end of the year but sorting out 1 will help this as I had 2 months of non running)

6. more stretching

7. more core work

8. a semi decent half marathon to put behind me the disaster of a half marathon i did this year

Easyimageimage

• Options
    Sub 3 hour marathon(pb 3.03) All other PB's beyond me now as I enter my prime.
  • Options

I'm just getting back to running again after a good year off due to a back op (discectomy) and thinking I'd probably not run again, then rediscovering music!

John - your targets are great, but what happens when you have achieved the 100 pressups programme, etc? Good on you for the others though, you're right, targets are best met when you write them down (like at work).

I only have a few due to time constraints and not wanting running to take over my (already busy) life (again):

1. get back to running 3-4 times a week, regularly.

2. run a sub50min 10k (never going to beat my 37.20 pb though)

3. run an HM, preferably in sub2hrs.

4. stay injury-free for the year.

After a long lay off and falling out of love with running due to the pain before the op last year, I'm looking forward to achieving these targets. It doesn't really that I used to be one of those front to mid pack runners, I am looking forward to enjoying it again!

• Options

Hey Fell Liker, that's amazing that your going to get back into the swing of things, especially after the op!

I had nearly 6 months off due to fractured pelvis (snowboarding) and it was the most frustrating time of my life, so cannot image how you must have felt when you first put your running shoes back on.

Godd luck with your goals and also for the first race ;0)

• Options

Impressive list of goals John, mine as follows:

1.  Sub 3:15 mara in Jan current PB 3:16, training going well so far.

2.  1:26 HM hopefully in April

3. Sub 39 10K

4. Sub 19 5k

5. Sub 3:10 mara probably Abo in October, but have to get no.1 first.

When we achieve any of our goals make sure to pop back on to the thread and update it.

• Options
    My goals are to get back to where I was before VLM last year then take it from there.
  • Options

image Some very motivated individuals!!!! I am impressed. I am entering my first full year as a new runner, injuries permitting. I am 40 in March, but feel I have a lot more to come!

My Goals include:

Sub 22min 5k

Sub 46min 10k

Sub 1hr 15min 10mile

Compete in my first half marathon and train more!!!!!

image Rob

• Options
    I have gone goal.. Get into 32 inch trousers again via a mixture of upping running and reducing food....
  • Options

Wow, thanks for joining in everyone!

Sarah - yes, I'm always up for a challenge! If they were easy there wouldn't be any point.

Those of you coming back from injury, good luck with your rehabilitation, take it easy.

A great mix of objectives and it just proves that everybody is different and has different goals but we will all get the same sense of satisfaction when we've achieved what we set out to do.

I feel more motivated than ever, writing goals down certainly helps but we have a bit of teamwork going here now too which is fantastic.

Keep up the good work and please make sure you all come back to this thread and update us all with progress.

Bring on the New Year and let the challenges commence! Wooh-Hoo!

• Options

JR - swimming 5k is easy - I am now doing 1 5k swim a week (plus 2 or 3 other swim sessions). If you can swim then you can more or less swim any distance - it's swimming fast that is hard and I am oh so very slow. If you want to swim further you just need to glide more. Not quite so easy in open water, now that would be a challenge. The easiest way to train yourself to glide more is to use a pullbouy (imho). I learnt this while swimming with a stress fracture so was not able to kick. Bit like marathon training, build up the distance over a few weeks and keep it nice and slow.

Would be great to see this thread going throughout the year and see how everyone gets on. image

• Options

My goals for 2011 are:

1: Sub 50 min 10km - current PB is 51:24 set in July, did a 5 miler in 40:10 in October which is more representative of my current level

2: Sub 1:50 half marathon - current PB is 1:57 set in October, slower than expected due to problems with trainers in torrential rain. 1:52 is probably more representative

3: Sub 5 hour Manchester - Blackpool Bike Ride (approx 61 miles) - did it in 5:27 in 2008, had poor weather last 2 years. Also planning on getting a road bike to replace my MTB, which should help.

4: Get down to 78kg - currently around 85-87kg

5:  Get back into swimming, perhaps try an open water swim at some point.

Looking back on the goals I had for 2010, I think I've done pretty well:

1: Complete a half marathon - did Wilmslow Half in March

2: Go sub 60 mins for a 10km - did Great Manchester Run in May in 56:10, then Leigh Sports Village 10km in July in 51:24

3: Sub 5 hour Manchester - Blackpool Bike Ride - hampered by awful weather on day, confident I would have done this otherwise.

4: Get down to 85kg (was 93kg at start of year) - done (-ish)

• Options

Good work sprouty.

Sugarplum - thanks for the advice. I'm not the greatest swimmer but do enough to get through it in triathlon. My longest swim ever is 2.5k for swimathon a couple of years ago, so 5K is a big jump.

I'm using winterswim as the base and then plan to build up gradually in terms of endurance and hope to do 5k in under 2 hours.

• Options

Ok, let's have some of this - quite like setting targets, whether i hit them or not is another matter image

1. Keep my dodgy right ankle injury free

2. Sub 1.37 HM in March

3. Sub 41min 10k in May

4. Sub 19.30 5k in June

5. Sub 19min 5k in Aug

6. Sub 40min 10k in Nov

This could go up in smoke if I don't do 1. or if get back into cycling in a big way. Feel like I've got unfinished business with the Marmotte bike race (108 miler up and down four of the toughest mountains in the alps) after I narrowly missed out on a gold standard this year.

Bring...it...on. 

• Options

My running targets for 2011:

1. Avoid injury

2. Do a marathon

3.  Do at least 2 other events (10 miles or half marathon)

4. Do a Parkrun on a fairly regular basis (at least 12 of them)

5. Keep a running journal / log

I don't have any time goals as such, which is perhaps unusual. Maybe I'll be feeling more competitive in 2012...

• Options
    DomFDomF ✭✭✭
    Complete VLM training without injury.

Improve on previous time of 3:57:xx (had to run/walk 2nd half due to illness/injury)

38:xx 10km utilising marathon fitness (current PB 39:27)

Race a 5km as have no official PB at that distance

Ditto 3km.

Autumn half marathon. Current PB is 1:27:44 so hope for faster.

Get weight UP to 12 stones from 11st 8lb (or prob less after mara campaign!) = more weight training.

Marathon is the main one though, if I get a decent time in line with my other races I can then happily retire from the distance as I find the necessary mileage tough mentally and to fit into my life.

• Options
    Not as impressive as some but mine are
    1,Stave off overuse injuries and particular my Achilles.
    2,Run 20 miles a week consistently for a month before adding speedwork.
    3, Run a couple of 5k's and maybe a 10k
    4, Improve my pace,
    5, Run the Stroud half marathon sub 1hr 50 in October,
    6, Build millage after Stroud and aim towered a marathon in 2012 my 40th year.
  • Options

1) Do the Barcelona marathon (my first and possibly only) - in 3.30

2) Get extremely hammered afterwards

3) Avoid alcohol from 1 Jan to race day 6th March 

4) Improve on this years mileage -  1,250

5) Stop buying so much running gear - or buy another wardrobe to keep it in !

6) Break 45 mins for 10k

7) Break 1.40 for a 1/2

• Options

1) Complete my fist marathon in April (Madrid)

2) Complete another marathon in Autumn (possibly Amsterdam or Berlin)

3) Get my 10k time down to 45min

4) Improve on my half mara time of 1h 52min (hopefully to below 1h45min)

4) Reduce alcohol intake image

5) Continue enjoying running like I have this year and get progressively fitter and fasterimage

• Options

It makes it all very real by writing it down doesnt it! 

Reading (my hometown) Half in under 2 hours

Do the London 10K in under 55 mins

Beat my GNR time of 2.12

Spend the rest of the year training for the Goofy Race and a Half Challenge in Orlando, Jan 2012.  

• Options

I like the idea of this thread.

My running goals for 2011 are:

1. Really establish myself at an average of 30-35 mpw
    2. Reduce my 5k PB to under 22 mins (current is 23.12)
    3. Get my 10K time under 45 mins (this years best is 49.02)
    4. Run 10 miles in 80mins (target is Cabbage Patch 2011)
    5. Run a 1/2 marathon in under 1hr45 (first try is Brighton in Feb 2011)
    6. Complete the MidSummer Munro in under 2hrs 30
    7. Run the Kilomathon in March 2011 in under 2hrs 30
    8. Be injury free for the whole year......
    9. Through all of the above, get myself to back under 12 stone (current weight is 12st 9ish)

GO

• Options
    I like this, my goals:

Increase and maintain my weekly milage to 40 mpw, I'm hovering just below 30 at the minute

Complete the Hypothermic Half in Calgary in February without freezing to death

Do at least one other HM in the year and get a sub 1:50 (PB 1:53)

Start doing these Park Runs I keep reading about when I get back to the UK

Improve my swimming to the extent that I can do 50 lengths front crawl without stopping (I can easily do this and a lot more in breast stroke by my crawl is truly rubbish)

Do some real core work three times a week

Bring on 2011, I'm ready now!
  • Options
    just get to something resembling fit will do -lol
  • Options

Good work everyone, great to see so many other people geting involved in this shinanigans.

I've been laying some decent foundations in the last few weeks. I'm consistent running over 20 miles per week now - mixing up longer runs, threshold runs, and intervals.

Swimming is looking good too, winterswim is acting as great motivation and my longest session is 1750m - 1/3 of my 5K target for 2011.

Cycling has gone totally to pot but will pick that up again in the new year.

You can follow my training progress here on Twitter for regular updates and progress towards dominating 2011!

• Options

Fun!

-Sub 2:25 for second marathon.
    -Get used to running 95/100mpw
    -Break 15 for 5k
    -Enjoy rest of life!

• Options
    Need to update mine - did the Bedford half in 1.37 yesterday so the 1.40 is no longer a target !!!!!!!
  • Options
    Congrats Mr C. That's a decent amout to take off.