Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Well done for seeing it through, Freemers. A tough day at the office but it's great to see you're thinking about (albeit tentatively) going back and kicking it's ar$e one more time. Stick with it!

GD

• Options
    SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Ouch Freemers. Sounds a bit grim and you showed good resolve in finishing

Very well done to those who notched up PBs (I'm looking forward to seeing you at the finish line at Outlaw Moof!) and to those who had a better than expected day (Speedy, did you beat your FD?).

The marathon is a cruel mistress so to those who fared less well, bad luck, your day will come ......

I have to say, I'm seriously tempted to cash in my GFA for next year and pop down to the smoke for a jog round next April - I'll even buy a round in Chandos - who's with me?
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Sounds like a tough day, Freemers.  You'll be back stronger with a more consistent campaign next time - just let the body recover properly first!

Physio's verdict: left glute is being lazy, and as a consequence left knee is swinging in pretty badly, leading to the tendon getting a bit inflamed at the insertion point.  Nothing serious, and I should be able to do short runs from Wednesday.

• Options

Well done to all at LM yesterday, lots of solid performances and some excellent ones also.  Moof outstanding.

Freemers, tough one but you learn best from those.  I bet if you return next year, your preparation will benefit from this season and you will smash it.

Jools, really tough to DNS but sounds like something that the physio can help you manage, presumably including a leg and bum strength routine will help, squats and bridges etc. 

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

tough day, Freemers - big kudos for seeing it through  . . .

Jools - bad luck for issues to appear on Friday , but admirable stoicism;  I'm sure you'll smash Chicago  . . . .

• Options

Jools - that sounds more encouraging and just a bug*er that it flared up when it did. Have you got plenty of exercises from the physio to avoid a repeat?

Top notch reports from Freemers, Poacher and PMJ. Plenty of digging deep all round.

PMJ - looking at your splits, we must have been running pretty close to each other (and overtaking each other at times) for most of the race. I was looking out for a Datchet runner but didn't spot you. Can't believe you won't be back next year - how can you resist the temptation?

Glad to hear you'll be there SJ.

On the good for age, it will be interesting to see if they change the time. Fingers crossed they don't. I don't remember seeing any women at the GFA start this year - surely there must have been some?

Planning on another rest day tomorrow as I've got an early start, but suspect I'll pack my kit for a couple of gentle runs later in the week as I'm over in Suffolk.

• Options

Well since I started road running with proper focus in 2013 I have raced plenty over distances 3k upwards including 2 marathons in York and Edinburgh.  I love competing and its nice to do well but LM yesterday was the absolute Dogs Boll***s.  Totally, totally loved it.  The crowd put hairs on end with their enthusiasm and noise.  The last 6 miles felt like being in the TV as I have watched it so many times it already felt so familiar.

I came down on the train from Yorkshire to the expo on Friday which was fab, spent some money and enjoyed the shows, had a massage and nabbed a lot of Cliff bar.  We stayed in a hotel near Victoria and had fun in central London with my wife and two of my kids on Saturday and went to bed well fed, watered and rested on Saturday night having found a nice Lebanese restaurant called Noura near the hotel.  Didn't sleep much due to anticipation and actually arose at 4pm and ate some oat bar and drank some Camomile tea.  Got up properly at 6.45pm to breakfast of hotel porridge and two coffees then departed for Victoria station at 8am.  Arrived at FGFA start around 9am but didn't work out who OO53, Lorenzo, Moof were and to be honest was lost in my own head a bit as I warmed up.  

Once we started I really focused on enjoying everything while trying to keep to no faster than 6.40s pace.  Mile 5ish I stopped for my first pee, lets just say the mechanics may not have got the wheels on properly before the car accelerated out of the pit lane.  At least this gave me the confidence to take a few sips of water with gels and shot blocks before second pee and then third around Tower Bridge.  Hit the HM mark in 1h29m53s pulling at the bit but thought hold fire to 20m before throwing caution to the wind as above all I wanted to secure sub3.  I found the Isle of Dogs a little twisty but once we emerged on to the home straight around Tower Hill I felt fantastic, like being on a stage.  I had managed pit stops 4 and 5 by this point still with dodgy wheel mechanics.  High fived Colin Jackson around mile 20 as I emerged from an underpass and then felt as though I just accelerated from there all the way to Big Ben where the running crowds seemed to get very heavy along Bird Cage Walk.  Waved to my family with 600m to go and pegged it over the line in 2:57:55 so a good negative split.  5k splits 21:00, 21:04, 21:39, 21:30, 21:24, 21:11, 21:33, 20:20, 8:14 

Totally loved it and felt very proud and satisfied to have achieved a goal I set nearly three years ago.  It was right to be cautious over the first 20 miles to make sure of sub3 but I had plenty in the tank at the finish so I feel there is unfinished business to find my limits.  My GPS recorded 26.83 miles so I must have weaved a lot plus the 5 pees and general ease throughout makes me feel sure I can find improvements yet.

For now, I am very happy enjoying the moment and wallowing in satisfaction.  Raised about £1k for Yorkshire Cancer Research as well which is a great bonus.  Somehow, I think I will be returning to the marathon soon...wear your DOMS with pride everyone.

• Options
    SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    5? What were you drinking?

Excellent time with potential for even better Neil. Magic.
  • Options

NM3 - awesome stuff; super pacing in the first half to leave you with plenty left in the tank for the last stretch. Impressive negative split. 

PMJ - just seen from the results on the VMLM website that I crossed the line 11s behind you - I must have had you in my sights most of the way round.

The website has now got the clever "in the last 7.2K x people passed you and you passed y people" up on it. Given my plod along the embankment I was surprised to see that I passed more people than passed me. image

I've also worked out another schoolboy error - I really should have run with my eyes open!

/members/images/226395/Gallery/0017.jpg

• Options

/members/images/245447/Gallery/Hare_and_Tortoise.JPG

Well, that's not at all embarrassing is it? 

• Options

Lorenzo, you were definitely ahead of me as we came off the Isle of Dogs: I am surprised I passed anyone but it says I passed 135 and was passed by 111 so a net improvement in paces but not time.

Sexist comment of the week: For the record, you were ahead of about 99% of women runners. Why is that relevant?

• Options

I was apparently ahead of 84% of the men, which may be a more relevant statistic.

• Options

Just got through reading all the reports, great to read. Congratulations to everyone who ran:

Poacher - 3:17 sounds like a damn good time to me
    LB70 - also, still a great time, especially if you were feeling below par
    ssc - sounds like you had a great day
    Lorenzo - great report, great time and a new PB, sub 3 beckons
    cc2 - great time with no training
    G-Dawg - great job, 2 mins off a PB is huge at those times and got on TV!
    Moof - amazing time and PB
    OO53 - so close to the sub 3, still an amzing time tho
    PMJ - great write up, fantatsic time
    Freemers - sounds like a tough day
    NM3 - awesome sub 3 and top report

Maybe I will try my look at the ballot this year...

• Options
    Freemers wrote (see)

PMJ - solid result for you.  Why your last?

Just lost a reply, arghhh!

• Options

Ok, that worked, reply:

I am 50 and have been running since 16. Most days a normal run, so 5 to 7 miles, a couple of track or tempo runs a week, maybe a longer run on Sunday. That keeps me fit and healthy and off it I am competitive from 3000m upwards to half marathon and a little tweak can get me up to a decent 20 mile race.

Marathons are so different. They just don't fit my schedule, so why do them at all? I used to dabble, and run one off too little training, and burn and die. Swear never to do another and come back a year or so later. As I got older, I got wiser, and managed a 19 year dry spell without a single marathon but then got pulled back into it all. Guess the reasons for the comeback were:

1. London 2012 was on the horizon and sport was looming big.
    2. I got fed up with being told I was not a runner as I had not run London.
    3. A few voodoos to put to bed: I used to do 20 in 2 hours and then DNF when I could not do a marathon in under 2:37. Really needed a peg in the wall.

So

• 2011 Shakespeare marathon 2:57 to get a GFA
    • 2012 London 2:50
    • 2013 year off
    • 2014 silly plan to get a 2:45 for a champs start ended in a DNF after my gout got me and I pulled out at halfway
    • 2015 didn't like the 2014 exit, so back up to Warwickshire for a 3:07 GFA
    • 2016 back to London, 3:06 done and dusted, bye bye raced marathons.

• Options

PMJ - just looking at the time we crossed the various mats:

Starting line: you crossed it 17s ahead of me
    5K: you crossed 22s ahead (sh!t - he's got off to a flyer!)
    10K: you by 12s (I'm sneaking up on you)
    15K: you by 18s (you obviously heard me behind you)
    20K: you by 8s (OK - you're in my sights)
    25K: crossed at exactly the same time (how did we not spot each other?!)
    30K: I crossed 9s ahead of you (a brave bid for home with a mere 12K to go!)
    35K: you by 13s (the subconscious gauntlet has been picked up with gusto)
    40K: you by 27s (damn - you're pulling away)
    42.2K: you by 11s 

My last 7.2K was 134 passed and 112 passed me - I suspect that there was a high crossover of people passing/passed by you!

Surely you're up for a rematch next year? image

• Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Loving those socks Lorenzo! 

CC that tortoise and hare were just behind me for mile after mile after mile, the hare costume appeared to be some ears and nothing else, what a swizz.

NM - quality peeing, cracking running and more to come from you

SJ - c'mon down. Mine's a pint. Tell Lorenzo to open his eyes or he will spill his.

Happy to see that y'day over the last 7.2k I passed 391 and was passed by 27.
    2015: passed 184, passed by 798 en route to a rubbish 3.54.  The only way is up.

/members/images/76130/Gallery/Screen_Shot_2016-04-25_at_22.05.44.png

Lost a few seconds when some idiot smacked me on the head with a camera.

Gul - WP is fairly flat although with a minuscule uphill gradient much of the way; 3.20 is a possibility, are you really going to go for it? image

• Options

Poacher - they're my lucky compression socks - a birthday present from younger Lorenzito. You had a good last 7.2K by the looks of it.

• Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Got to say it was great to see Lorenzito & OO jnr taking in the London atmosphere - next generation of marathoners perhaps? Probably much faster than our generation too.

• Options

Lorenzo, time to switch that slow pie profile picture for a faster plate of starters, though I must say I think the pie the better of the two, from a culinary perspective.

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Showboating at Cutty Sark.

"Yeah, Baby! Only 20 miles to go!!"

Folly...image

http://offsiteimages-02.marathonfoto.com/MFT2016-02/75/797375/1033/0025.jpg?preset=p

• Options
    G-Dawg wrote (see)

Showboating at Cutty Sark.

Hopefully that was an unintentional pun!!!

• Options
    VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

Wow. Everyone fought the good fight on Sunday. I recorded the marathon and got to watch it late last night. Looked like perfect conditions and what a great course. The cheering at the finish looked deafening. And the elite races were really good, particular the near WR miss!

Great reports everyone. I was hanging on every word. As SJ says, the marathon can be a heartless you know what but she can also be loving. We are all gamblers because no matter how much prep you put in, you never know what you're going to get on the day!

Poacher, what else is there to say. You are now primed for the season. Nice second mara on short rest (and well fought). And thanks for posting the pic!

Lorenzo, great courage throwing yourself into the fire. A PB is a PB and you learned a lot from this (plus sounds like you left  nothing in the tank!). I think it will serve you well down the road. Well toughed out!

PMJ, loved your timeline and narration of your marathon exploits. Too bad you and Lorenzo hadn't paired up to ease the pain and draw on each other's strengthimage Nice farewell if this is the final one. Sometimes the ones that hurt the most are the most memorable.

GDawg, respect for pushing through the injury and nabbing a PB! Sub3:10 definitely in the cards.

LB70, great result and congrats on getting round! Only up from here.

SSC, great perspective and reminds me not to get too hung up on time. Well done.

Speedy, awesome steal on low training! You too Lit!

Moof, you get the prize for killing it! And can share it with Neil!

OO, well run under the conditions leading up to this one. You're the human metronome! 3 hrs is 3 hrs. I wouldn't sweat 10 seconds...

Freemers, heroic effort. Next time around, when healthy, we'll see what you can do!

DG, congrats on a huge PB!

Jools, heal up quickly. And think of all the fitness you've banked. You didn't spend a penny so could be a special season before the next marathon.

And nice pics everyone!

BI, your mileage is hard to comprehend these days. Fingers and toes crossed everything keeps working as is should! In particular, I hope the ankle sorts itself soon.

I tested the legs with 6M yesterday and everything still works. But man that race takes a toll. And now slowly (or quickly rather) find my waistline growing. Always the case after the long taper, carbo loading, and the time with huge hunger but no burning going on directly after.

• Options
    Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭

I noticed your 5k positions Lorenzo and PMJ and assumed that you were running together - it's amazing that you were both running separately and didn't see each other.

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Bike It - curry sounds better, yes!
    PMJ - sounds like GFA times are under review then...
    Freemers - well done finishing under those conditions. Good to hear you're contemplating giving it another go.
    Jools - you must be gutted, but at leat you have a diagnosis and it's nothing serious.
    NM - great report and fantastic time after just 3 years of serious road running. More to come!
    Poacher - How much time would you allow for the course compared to a flat one? I will probably aim for around 3:20 with a B target of a PB (sub 3:30). Maybe this Sunday's 10k will give me an indicator.
    GD - great pic!
    VTr - recover well.
    Last hard session before Sunday this morning. 3M warm-up, then 13 x 200m easy / 400m @ 10k pace plus a bit to make up 5 miles. 1M warm-down.

• Options
    Hey, good luck Gul Dar this weekend. Don't over cook the pace on the 200s today and keep away from sneezers. Hit the Echinacea, zinc tablets and bagels. At least if you need a pee, the audience will be sheep instead of 10,000 screaming Londoners...

Can't recall who else is planning white peak but good luck to you all
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Neil Maloney you done good. Many congrats on a great effort.

Freemers- sorry I must have misread your previous post, sorry you had a bit of a stinker.

I noticed my pacing was very similar to last year (very even) but with 1 minute down in each half. And what a difference that makes. The course seems much more congested when you are amongst/ behind the 3 hours pacers- I'm sure it cost me at least 11 secs image

• Options

A lot is said about negative splits but in my opinion the way many run is more realistic: go out at, give it some, and hold on. Just checked the top 1000 runners in the mass start, 152 have negative splits, 64 of those are more than a minute. The vast majority, 848, have positive splits.

One odd guy ran 1:27 followed by 1:17, next best is 5 minute -ve split.

The reverse is ugly, biggest +ve split 1:13, 1:33. 212 runners in the top 1000 has +ve splits bigger than 5 minutes.

Got to hand it to Nigel Rackham: first V50 home in 2:32:41 and 1:16:20 and 1:16:21.

• Options

Lorenzo, good new pic. I did see your back when we did the out and back section near Billingsgate at 19.5 miles. Tracker says we were identical at 25k but I can't recall that: the 15 mile marker was the one underground in the tunnel.