Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options

PMJ- I've been on the way back for about 6 months now, time flies ! image, its been slow going till about 3 months ago but things are starting to go in the right direction now and with 2 working knees instead  of the one I had for several years I hope to make some pb's again ,..

Your right I would say sub 7 is hard for me so a bit more than steady and certainly in the last 2 miles I was definitely well into the hard zone.image Slightly faster than planned today as well but its not often its too easy so best roll with it image

Poacher best starting a bit of cycling then image

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Poacher - You certainly jump in at the deep end! Had to google it to see what it looks like. Nice new wheels.

Leslie - Time sure does fly when you look back and you certainly have made good progress.

Abbers - I did my 2nd ever raced half (only ever raced 3) without a garmin although that wasn't intentional it was out of juice and I ended up running 1:30:30. The Garmin wouldn't have made a difference but it is nice to see the splits and figure out how to improve if pacing is an issue. 

KR - 6 weeks into recovery and the plan was to try run a bit more and gradually increase the mileage and intensity. I had no intention of entering any proper races this side of Christmas but I just realised that 2016 is the 1st year since I started running in late 2010 that I don't have a pb to my name in the calendar year. A friend of mine has managed to persuade me to race the local half which is 20 November. Like the local marathon it's a tough course, with a steep climb from 2k to about 8k. I ran it back in 2013 which was my last half and did 1:29:05. I've got no idea what sort of shape I am in at the mo over that distance but I reckon I have just about enough time to get in 90 min shape or thereabouts and we'll see how that pans out. All things being equal I reckon you'll be good for a fast time come your race. 

Gul - sub 85 is a great target and if the conditions are good and you pace it well I don't see why you won't run that sort of time or at least beat your current pb. Go easy on that bit! image

1.5 mile recovery run for me today to the police HQ to collect my wallet which I somehow managed to lose yesterday.image Everything in tact, the police said they get lots of them handed in. The nice person who found mine and took the trouble to hand it in to the police station didn't leave their contact details. I would have loved to have thanked and reward them for their honesty but karma and all that, I would do exactly the same. 

• Options

PMJ - that's a very pleasing 11 miler.
    Abbers - hope you can stay lurgy free. The colleague I get a lift into the office with most days was sneezing all day Wednesday.
    Leslie - I will have to try running in daylight too! Excellent 10 miler with a speedy finish.
    Poacher - you'll soon be talking goobledegook!
    GM - I would definitely settle for a PB be it 1 second or 1 minute, but I think sub 85 is pushing it a bit! Pleased to hear you were reunited with your wallet - good to know there are decent folk around.
    5 easy miles with a few strides d&d. Will try and get a good sleep and lie-in tomorrow morning so that's me done until Sunday.

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Good luck weekend racers!  Smash that PB in Chicago, Jools.  Make it your town not the ex's image.  And hope you half marathoners have good races too and meet your goals. Gul, with proper pacing sub-85 should be very manageable. Hope you avoid all those viruses to toe the start line feeling strong, Abbers.  

Superb MLRs from PMJ and Leslie. Very nice to have your wallet returned, Gerard!  That person saved  you a lot of hassle.  

I am looking forward to fitness and speed returning having just spent a two week post-Berlin period plodding gently and focusing on stretching and conditioning.  As well as a short campaign before Berlin, I didn't do enough (any) of that stuff and it really made all the difference to how I felt.  Without a strong body it doesn't matter how good the engine is, because it won't do it justice over 26.2 miles.

A weekend of more easy running and a hockey match awaits me.  Next week I start training properly for these HMs.  Have a good weekend all.  Looking forward to seeing some race results!

• Options

Bit of parkrun tourism today to the Canons Park inaugural. Nice 3 lapper in a park, split between tarmac paths and nice crushed stone with a very small grass segment each lap. 19:31 for 4th place and first MV50 so the age category record as well, though missed out on the WAVA league to a VW60 running 25:16.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Great comeback Leslie, looking forward to those PB's.

I also did some parkrun tourism at Newcastle. It's just up the road from me but somehow never did it before. Fast flat course and very happy with 18:12. Except junior was 18:11 image and just ahead.

Good luck to the Sunday racers and anyone doing XC.

• Options

Good parkrunning from OO and PMJ.

Leslie - sounds as though you're in great shape at the moment.

Enjoy the bike Poacher - will you be out on it during the winter? I'm a self-confessed warm weather cyclist - I get far more pleasure out of running than cycling in the cold and wet. 

Shame you won't be at Beachy Head Gul - any targets for Norfolk mara? Good luck for Sunday. Close to 85 would be a fantastic performance.

Enjoy the hockey MsE - will be in touch about getting together for a run some time soon.

Managed to get my first (and last) 20 miler of my Beachy Head campaign in - 21.3 miles including a good stretch along the canal. Most miles were in the 8:00 - 8:15 range although I pushed the pace in the last few and finished with a couple around the 7:00 mark.

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Really looking forward to seeing how our brave racers do this week. 

OO - You let her take the win didn't you!image Great running by you both. What I want to know is who scored the highest WAVA?

PMJ - Nice parkrun time. What WAVA % did that yield?

MsE - Great recovery after the marathon. I've stopped doing yoga which means I never stretch now. Need to get back on it. I bet you will enjoy the faster stuff and can't wait to see you smash your half pb.

Parkrun for me also today. Got there early and did a mile warm up. I always feel terrible at the time of the morning but had a decent warm up and was ready to give it some. Lots of fast juniors 11-14's there today most of whom run around 19 mins. Let them shoot off at what looked like about 17 min pace and managed to keep a fairly even pace for the 1st two laps of the cycle path. The 3-4k section has got the better of me the past 3 weeks and I was determined not to let it today and managed to run 19:49. Looking at my splits and they were 3:45, 3:51, 3:53, 3:57, 3:58 and then 23 seconds for the extra bit. Hope to take at least another 10 seconds off that next week. Will do my first proper speed session this week and see if that helps get things moving a bit quicker. My slow time bagged me 4th also and managed to catch all but one of the juniors. image

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

X-post - Lorenzo - Good long run and very strong finish. When is your race? 

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Well done Gerard, you are on the up. Yes I beat her on WAVA by a whisker with 82.91% which was the best among c700 runners today. Junior got the 3rd best WAVA, with the first finisher bloke sandwiched between us. Thank heavens for WAVA to save face image

Cracking long run Lorenzo!

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    OO - That's a helluva High WAVA! Congrats!
  • Options

Wow - impressive WAVA from both OO and OO junior.

GM - Saturday 29th. According to the website there are about 300 steps and a dozen or so gates, so I won't be putting myself under any pressure for a PB!!

Forgot to say a huge GOOD LUCK to Jools - go, go, go!! And DBS! image

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Lorenzo - Good grief, that sounds tough! 

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Greetings from the windy city! Feet up reading race instructions now and will only venture out for food later on having done a spot of light tourism earlier. Conditions good. Start at 1.30pm BST. #410
  • Options
    Excellent cycling target race Poacher - jealous!

Good luck to Abbers and Gul tomorrow and extra special heapings of luck to Jools - smash it! image
  • Options

Good parkrunning PMJ, OO  and GM.
    Lorenzo - excellent long run, looking very strong. My target for the Norfolk Coastal is to enjoy it!
    Good luck to Jools and Abbers tomorrow.
    Apologies in advance if I don't get to post till late tomorrow - a busy afternoon and early evening planned, but I'll make sure to at least post the result if nothing else!

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    All the best for tomorrow Jools, hope you get what your hard work deserves
  • Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Good luck Joolska, real potential for a very quick one, no need to say DBS

Cracking WAVAs for the OO family

Good luck Gul!

Nice running Lorenzo & GM

Park run tourism here too - Lyme Park (where Colin Firth bathed in the lake in Pride & Prejudice) and boy was it hilly. 22.02 for 16th place but the effort had to be worth 19.XX on a less lumpy course. In other news, 22m bike on Thursday and 30m y'day, so sportive here we come image

• Options

Poacher - good cycling and parkrunning - watch look out SJ!
    #perfectday? image

• Options

0053- I know she is family but stop letting her win image Cracking times though !image

Lorenzo- only 1x 20 miler ,must be a short campaign, nice fast finish though image a dozen gates sounds like cracking fun though,good hurdle practice image

Gerard a nice sub 20 and taking most of the young scalps as well ,sounds promising.

Poacher you are taking to this cycling very well ,should be a piece of cake by poacher standards image

15.1 miles consisting of a half in about 1:36:30 ,then 1 at max (6:28) and 1 steady to finish uphill 7:37 which averaged out at 7:20's overall which was a bit quicker than planned and definitely picked up the pace after 10 miles .

52 miles for another solid  week .

Looking forward to all the race reports image

• Options

Leslie - I'd probably describe the campaign as unstructured!! Nice session there with some great variety at the end.

I couldn't resist the temptation to meet up with a couple of mates for a Sunday morning run so added another 12 trail miles onto the tally to bring me up to 53 for the week.

Hope Abbers is running well this morning and Jools has a stormer later on. 

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Leslie - Cracking run that!

Lorenzo - I also did a 12 miler with a mix of road and trail. My longest run since Manchester and very easy 8:15mm pace. Nice weekly total!

Hopefully Gul and Abbers had good runs and Jools will be off soon. Going to see if I can stream the race.
  • Options
    AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭
    Quick check in on my phone. It seems running to feel without a watch and having a relaxed, relatively unstructured approach to training gets me exactly the same results as following a schedule to the letter and obsessing about mile splits on race day! A shade under 1:33 I think, awaiting official times. Happy with that given build up and I had no idea regarding times until I got in range of the public address system at the finish.
  • Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭

That's a great time especially for running to feel, Abbers!  Congrats.

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Abbers - Well done! 

• Options
    Leslie H wrote (see)
    15.1 miles consisting of a half in about 1:36:30 ,then 1 at max (6:28) and 1 steady to finish uphill 7:37 which averaged out at 7:20's overall which was a bit quicker than planned and definitely picked up the pace after 10 miles .

I squeezed out my half in 1:35:37 but didn't add two on afterwards. Week was 46 miles and a step up from a series of 40 mile weeks. Adding the second MLR midweek means the two long runs top 25 miles and then 4x5 miles scattered over the rest of the week makes 45 a doddle. Need to start to stretch the long run up towards 20: I like to do it a mile a week so 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 and 20 means an 8 week build up. The 19 is the hardest to do, seems so easy to add one and do the full 20 but not the idea of the plan.

• Options

Abbers cracking run that with no training plan or even a garmin image sub 90 is within reach image

PMJ- Nice half image I did 13 last week and my only plan so far is a minimum of 15m "long" run each week from now on with a mlr too of 10 mile or so ,then everything else is just mostly easy short runs as needed too to get a regular 50m which is tougher some week with nightshift etc . Don't really want to be doing 20m before the end of the year though just building a base for now image

Gul /Jools any news ? image

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Slightly tough day out: 2.53.30 with a fairly big (ie 5 min) positive split. Guess the missed training over the summer caught up with me a bit. Not the worst result, but no pb today. 4th fv35, apparently.
  • Options

Jools - with a time like that you mustn't and shouldn't be harsh on yourself. Feet up time now and enjoy the rest of your time out there. A huge WELL DONE to you.

• Options

Abbers - nice one! Great effort there.
    Jools - sorry you didn't get the time you were looking for, but still a great time. Hoping the next time everything comes together so you can give it your best.
    Absolutely bonkers day here, but just to say I got a 10 second PB of 1:26:24 (lost a second compared to my watch!) Really pleased with that. Will report later or tomorrow.