Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Welcome back VTr. Sounds like you've had some adventures, glad you're better.

Berlin went well for me, scored a PB of 3.09. Would have been quicker if they had water bottles but cups were given out so had to walk the water stations to stay hydrated on what was a hot day. Every 5k split was 22.xx and my positive split was only 3 seconds, Very happy to run consistently although did run the final half mile at 6.07 pace to ensure I ducked under 3.10 image

Come on, your report, please!

GD

• Options

PMJ - "A reasonable MP target is double a raced half plus 10 minutes". That makes 3:03 i.e. 6:58 m/m for me. Ha! Ha! I wish. As you say, learn to do it by feel and put in some quality too.
    Poacher - good sneaking.
    OO - enjoy running round Versailles and parkrun tourism.
    GM - we'll keep plugging away and hope it comes right one day soon! You're not having much luck, are you?! Hope the track works out okay.
    GD - that's some warm-up mile. And a decent pace to follow. All looking very good.
    Lorenzo - enjoy the mud - you obviously missed it at the XC!
    VTr - good to hear from you - I was wondering how you were. Sounds like you've had a rough time. Amazed that you've managed to run 3 races, including a marathon! After a parkrun and HM PB in the last few weeks, I now have a trail marathon lined up a week on Saturday and am just planning to enjoy it.
    Leslie - good dodging!
    6 recovery miles d&d.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

GD, bloody dogs & their owners, don't get me started.

I can still run 1:23ish for the 1/2M but sub 3 seems to be at my limit. I think in my case I'm just better at the shorter speedier stuff.

Had a lovely run around the Chateau in Versailles again this morning- with very little light about (coming mainly from the moon). 7 miles in 8:19 average but the fastest couple around 7:50. I could have happily gone on for another 5 if I had the time. After the disappointment of my Sunday LSR this was a relief.

Thanks for the parkrun tip Lorenzo, I'll have to check the logistics as I'll be relying on public transport from Greenwich.  

• Options

OO53, Fulham Palace parkrun is a good fast one, as is Dulwich. There is one in Greenwich itself but I understand it is not the fastest.

10 miles before lunch (12:00 noon meeting) so I was under a tight deadline to get it done, first 5 at 7:21 pace then the next 5 at 7:09 pace for 7:15 average.

Gul, people are built differently so, as OO53 says, some will be better at the shorter stuff and some at the longer stuff. You have a lot of what it needs to deliver a 3.0x marathon but if your body just isn't tuned that way then treat marathons as something to enjoy and concentrate on racing shorter stuff for the glory.

• Options

GD, well done! I was hoping you'd get back what you put in and sounds like you did that. Even pacing really indicates how well you ran. And 3:09 in the heat w/enforced walk breaks is impressive. You did it all right and got what you deserved! Congrats. Here's to another PB on the next attempt!

Gul, you were really getting fit last time I looked in. How fast did you get around on the 1/2 (I'm guessing it was quite speedy!)? And was it a tough course/weather day? How about the parkrun? I've hadd my scientist hat on when following you so want to see how the experiment has proceeded!

Leslie, you must be very fit again now. Has the comeback gone forward w/out bumps in the road? I hope so!

PMJ, interesting comment on your pacing for training. Most of my nonquality running is usually about 1:45 to 2 min slower than MP. Each year it seems these sessions get a bit slower. HADD would say that is good and you can't run too slow. I'm not sure though. But my cadence stays very high despite slow pace and my times haven't suffered so who knows. Main thing is doing what keeps you on the road and not benched!

• Options
    Welcome back CC and VTr and welcome to the thread for SEdan.

Not much going on here, 6th place in a 79mile bike race at the weekend and only 90s off 3rd spot - bit galling as 4th and 5th place riders sucked ny back wheel between miles 60 and 78.5 without taking a turn which isn't particularly good etiquette but hey ho

Still swim running early in the morning - the first swim leg is becoming rather refreshing!

Out on the fells this evening for a jog round with my (impeccably behaved) pooch. As for the pacing debate, it will be slow....
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Welcome back, VTr (your summer does indeed sound tough)! 
     & Speedy (good to have you back - onwards and upwards from here-on in we hope ) .... 
     also welcome to SEdan . . .

mojo defintely needs attention, VTr - after 4 weeks of messing about (just 110 miles), and not even enjoying my running, I decided to take a week off to coincide with a few days away with my friend. First run back was last Friday (easy 7), but legs creaky. Was gonna rest Sat, but my daughter asked me to accompany her on a 12.5 miler (7 to park, parkrun, 2.5 warmdown).  Only problem (for me) was that she thought the loop to the park was 6 miles, not 7, so we ended up upping the pace to get there (this meant going from "easy" to "steady" for her, but "steady" to "tempo" for me ) !!  Just scraped a 70% WAVA at parkrun, but it wasn't pretty  . . .
    1st XC fixture Sunday, but I didn't run. Legs just bashed after Sat - found it tough jogging round supporting my son - although I'm a bit ashamed - I maybe should have bitten the bullet and JFDI  . . .

anyway, 6 yesterday still felt ungainly, but lo and behold - 6 this morn suddenly felt flowing and sprightly, and I DID enjoy the outing  . .

I don't reckon it's helped having no focus this year - to begin with it seemed sensible to have a less intense year, after 2014 (the "comeback" year) 2 marathons, then 2015 great half mara, decent VLM & pleasing XC season,  but I've ended up just "drifting" . I do feel age is partly to blame - -  no matter how I try to ignore it , my legs insist on reminding me . . . .

So, thinking of maybe getting back on the mara trail next year - Boston (UK) could be an idea - it's on same day as the BOSTON , and 5 years since my ill-fated excursion to the US

in the meantime, I'll maybe do a couple of the XC as training . . . 

good running, all  . . . .

• Options

VTR- I'm getting back at it with 3 x 50 mile weeks completed so far, my comeback is slowing taking shape ,not back to where  I was before but with 2 working knees now my easy run pace has improved a bit image

Slokey - don't you let them slipstream  ,make em work for it image

Birch -that's a long warmup for parkrun !

• Options

9 miles completed this morn before shift  (average 7:23m/mile) ,had to work hard for that !image

• Options

OO - glad to hear Sunday was just a blip.
    PMJ - nice 10 miles under time pressure! You may be right about me not being suited for marathons, but I'll keep plugging away.
    VTr - HM was a 10 sec PB in 1:26:24 on a flat course in excellent conditions. Was on pace for sub 86, but just faded a tad in the last 3 miles. And parkrun PB is now down to 18:42.
    SJ - nice bike work there.
    Birch - I would certainly be looking at running Boston (UK), if it weren't for the date it falls!
    Leslie - that's weird - 9 miles @ 7:22 for me this morning!
    I did 1 mile w/u @ 8:23, 5M @ 7:13, 2M with 8x200m avg. 6:52, and 1M w/d @ 8:01.

• Options
    Nice target Birch and speedy early morning stuff from Gul and Leslie

Hmm, bad run last night. Decided to do a tempo effort to the top of the fell and felt quite good but just as I hit the turnaround point the hip seized up and was really quite sore - reduced me to a walk on the way back down. I think I pushed it a bit too much too soon.

Back in the pool for the first time in months this morning for the tri club coached beasting session. I was promptly spat out the back of the group I was swimming with and was nearly lapped on one of the sets. Hard, hard effort and shows how much work I need to do to get back to "indoor form"
  • Options
    AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Ah, VTr! Welcome back - glad to hear you're over your ops & illness.

PMJ - interesting thoughts on pace zones vs overall training miles. I'm not, nor am I intending to be, a 60+ mpw runner, but still need to get enough miles in my legs to make a raced marathon a possibility. LSR pace at something around 8mm wouldn't be significantly slower than MP given a target of around 3:20.

SJ - I'm always mighty impressed by the variety, quantity and quality of both your training and racing! No idea where you get the energy from.

Birch - glad to hear the mojo made a reappearance! Can be difficult getting motivated without firm goals, especially as temps start to drop and there are more dark runs in mornings & evenings.

Nice early morning efforts from Leslie & Gul.

Recovery week last week post-Salisbury, and just building back up with easy miles this week before hopefully getting a block of 40 miles weeks in the bank before the mara schedule kicks in.

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

VTr - Great to hear from you again, sounds like you have been very busy! I am doing ok thanks. Had a few MRI's and there was nothing serious to report which is good but still not 100%. I'm getting weekly physio now and working on some issues. 

SJ - Nice to see you too. You'll be up to pace indoors soon I'm sure. Well done on your bike race, unlucky not to podium but still a great effort. 

Disappointing 5k outing for me tonight. Haven't raced a road 5k for over a year and was hoping to hold a decent pace and give it some in the last k or so but could only manage a poor 19:42. Average pace was slower than my parkrun two weeks ago and it's a flat as a pancake course. Went out at 6:05mm pace and was aiming for sub 19 or at least 19:0x but the legs seized up at 2k and I just about managed to keep it together in the last 1.5k or I would have ended up with a pw for a road 5k. I don't think my legs have fully recovered from Sunday's cliff path run. Was strange to be night racing again but I seriously need get round to doing some speed work soon. 

• Options

Birch, trials of miles and miles of trials, eh?image Glad to hear you captured some magic on the last run. Hopefully that continues and some new firm goals can't hurt.

Gul, you're getting downright speedy! I'd say you've had a great year. From that sub40 10K to that really fast parkrun, you are in a great place. And that half is pretty impressive too!

Abbers, nice to hear from you! What was the event in Salisbury and how did it go? How was your cricket season?

Leslie, glad both knees are good again!

SJ, you are still up to old tricks I see. Wish we could talk some sense into that hip for you.

Played soccer against my 9 year old and her teammates last night (parents vs kids). Not bad 3 days post marathon. This is the least sore I've been following a marathon (which of course has me thinking what if I tried to do one more this fall...).

Debating a short run now but it's raining and dark and I think I may just stay inside...

• Options

SJ - you do an amazing job to manage that hip problem.
    Abbers - enjoy the base building.
    GM - good effort - you seem to have a good number of local races, so I'm sure it won't be long before you starting hitting your targets.
    VTr - we're still waiting for that report! You sound in good shape. Certainly my best year for running - I sneaked a marathon PB too, so that's one for each distance I race  - not that parkrun is a race, of courseimage
    5 mile recovery run d&d.

• Options

Slokey- can't believe you were at the back of the swim group,thought you would be leading ! image

Gul -Nice speedy 9, similar paces for similar goals image

Abbers enjoy the recovery week.

Gerard- another sub 20 after a tough week image

VTR we all wonder what if we did a bit more ,time to find out image.As for 2 working knees the good one that never gives any trouble ever was a bit sore to touch after climbing a ladder a few days ago image 

8 mile easy this morn (7:54m/m)

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

We all have off days VTR, at least a 5k shouldn't take much out of you.

Gul sure is the man on form these days.

Think I'll do Hilly Fields parkrun in Lewisham. It's the closest to the flat, although the clue is in the title- it's not fast.

Off for a 6 miler round Greenwich Park now.  

• Options
    SEdanSEdan ✭✭✭

OO53 - we must be very local, I might see you there. I'll be the one huffing and puffing trying to break 23 mins.

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

OO - Will be fun trying out a new parkrun whilst your down south. 

SEdan - Have a good one tomorrow. 

Nice dry sunny lunch time 7k run today. Steady out in 7:45mm to test the legs, felt good, so pushed on and 6:42mm for the 2nd half and my legs seemed to have recovered now. That's it for me for the week as I am busy with my boy and his sporting exploits all weekend. Hopefully I'll be back to some decent mileage again next week. Was great to see my pal who is 55 last night after 2 years of struggling with his running and life issues to run 19:45 for 5k. That's his first sub 20 in 3 years. Great to see that. 

• Options

Leslie - nice easy miles.
    OO - enjoy the Hilly Fields!
    SEdan - and you too!
    GM - good week's training. Enjoy the weekend with your son.
    Freedom parkrun for me this morning in 19:22 and 7 miles in total. Taking a rest tomorrow and then it's the final week of the taper. How are the Beachy Head boys doing?

• Options
    AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭
    VTr - Salisbury was a half mara, run off a relaxed build up to feel with no watch and came out at 1:32:52 for 60/600 and a time very similar to usual but without a lot of the stress! So counts as a success. Cricket season not so good; relegation I'm afraid, but the club's annual dinner/dance tonight which is always fun.

Good running from Leslie, OO and GM, and a speedy parkrun from Gul. Excellent work.

10 easy miles done early this morning.
  • Options

Gul, 19:22 as a solo 5k is impressive.

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Nice 5k Gul. Once I get Beacht Head out of the way next week I'm going to bag my first sub-20 5k.

Good HM tome, Abbers. Enjoy the club dance tonight. My mate has a nice cricket gig coming up, he's been asked to manage the MCC touring side to Namibia in November, lucky sod!

I accidentally ran 16 miles this morning. Got the start wrong and ended up adding an extra mile to my 15 miler. Picked a route that had more inclines in the final miles to prepare for the definitely not a thread smackdown with Lorenzo at Beachy Head next week. image

First couple of miles were a bit huffy and puffy due to the huge Chinese meal I had last night, felt really fat but soon settled down and ran on feel. Average pace was 7.30 and even managed a 1 minute negative split despite the lumpy bits in the second half. Took a bottle of water and only had half of it and no need for a gel, didn't take one with me anyway.

Feels good to be maintaining fitness post-Berlin. I just need to get my head around being out for 4 hours next Saturday. Still, I'll have the incentive of Lorenzo waiting for me at the finish with a cup of tea! image

GD

• Options

Sneaky 16 miler there G-Dawg. Sounds like you're getting some last minute specific training in. Given your recent form, I suspect you'll be the one waiting for me at the end with a cuppa and a cake.

Was over in your neck of the woods this morning as I decided to do the Woking parkrun - I like the course as it's got a mix of hard surface and trails through the wood (which were a rather muddy especially on the third lap) and plenty of twists and turns so you're not looking at the same view for very long. 3rd time I've done it and a course PB (19:35) and second fastest parkrun this year so quite pleased with that. Only downer was being beaten on the final sprint by a bloke in a Spiderman costume.

GM - there was a guy from Jersey over for the parkrun, but I restrained myself from asking whether he knew you.

Impressive Freedom parkrunning from you there Gul - no way I could go that fast on my own.

OO - hope you enjoyed Lewisham parkrun. Always nice to do a different one. I've done 15 different ones so far.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Yes Lorenzo loved it and quite pleased with 18:54. Your parkrun sounds challenging so great run to get that time
  • Options

XC relays for me today. I'm so far from fit it's embarrassing! I can only dream of a sub 19 5k at this point in time. 

Anyone doing Abo tomorrow? (Not me!)

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    You'll get there Speedy. There is no hiding place at XC
  • Options

Gul -great 5k time especially on your own.image

Gdawg nice fast pre smackdown 16 miler there ..

0053 nice sub 19 

15.1 miles for me this morn ,8 steady at around 7:30 then the rest were mostly sub 7 ,though half in about 1:35:30 after that I was trying to chase down 2 slow cyclists at about 6:30 milling who I passed then they passed me back along the quay where its a bit twisty and lots of walkers and pulled out a good gap but then turned into the hill I could see they had slowed over the bridge so I dropped the hammer again to sub 6 briefly and passed them up the hill.I was puffing a bit   image 

15m at 7:13 m/mile  average and 59 mile for the week.

• Options
    SEdanSEdan ✭✭✭

Nice parkrun OO53. That's a good time at HF as the course is worth at least 15 sec per mile I reckon.

Couldn't make it to parkrun myself in the end so did some low key fartleking with a handful of short hill reps in Greenwich Park. Another 11m for me today up to Limehouse Basin and back, makes it 36m for the week. 

My long run today at conservative pacing was more in the 9:30s compared to 9:50s last week so making some progress. 

• Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Nice park running and virtual park running going on. 19.43 for me y'day and 77.26% WAVA. Bit disappointing as the effort felt closer to 19.20. Still well short of 80%

Birch - just enter some races and you will remember how much you enjoy it

Excellent week Leslie

Top racing Slokey allied with gutsy pain management.

41m on the bike today brings up 100 for the week. Feeling good and back to fighting weight.