Options

ASICS Super Six: Peter (Sub-3:00)

Comments

• Options
    You've made my week Pete outstanding result although got to say had an inkling. And thanks to Steve, your pacing strategy of always start very slow and move through the paces gradually obviously really pays off.  
  • Options

Really well done Pete - knew you could beat sub 3 hours, and it looks like you really smashed it. Party on dude !! image And hope you pop into the threads from time to time to let us know how you are getting on.

Congrats to Steve as well for being a great Mentor and really helping out with this thread and all the others too.

• Options

I did it wahooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  image

I’m back from my travels and what has been a truly amazing weekend all round! Thank you so much for all your messages of congratulations they really do mean a lot and all your support, guidance, baking tips etc over the last 16 weeks have been a big part of the whole experience for me.

Thanks Steve for keeping people in the know whilst ive been unable to get on the internet/intoxicated! I guess you all know the time now but in case you don’t and because it gives me another chance to write it down it was just under 2 hours 49mins!!!! To say im pleased would be a massive understatement. I have real confidence in my own ability but I honestly thought 2:50 would be completely out of reach this time around. Ive had a huge smile on my face ever since and despite having to cut myself out of a pair of skinny jeans this morning after my feet swelled up after the race im all in one piece!

Ive literally just got in and absolutely shattered and heading for a lie down, Really want to do the race report justice and answer all your questions properly so will do it tomorrow when in a more coherent and awake state. I hope that doesn’t sound like the success has gone to my head or ive turned into a diva its just that bed is calling.

Thanks again (did i mention I ran 2 hours 49mins!!!! image )

• Options

Thanks - it's probable that Pete came in with the late party returnees around 6am but he looked fine in the morning - certainly better than the RW/Asics revellers!

I do think it is important to run a pace that enables you to run strongly in the last 5 miles but 87/82 isn't the ideal way to run sub-2:49 and he probably could have gone faster but I still think the pace strategy was right based on Pete's PB, training runs and race results. Next time Pete can go faster but there is of course the possibility that had Pete gone through halfway in 84/85, he may have found it harder when the race hotted hotted up and ended up with a slower time. 

For a sub-3, i still think for most people the ideal time is around 88:30- a acceleration can get you a 2:55 while a slight slowing still gives you sub-3

• Options
    Steve Marathon Coach wrote (see)

For a sub-3, i still think for most people the ideal time is around 88:30- a acceleration can get you a 2:55 while a slight slowing still gives you sub-3

This will be my mantra for the next 4 weeks. 1:28:30 at half way!
  • Options

Steve - I think sub 3 hrs is at the very top of my range for London, with 3:05 being more probable. How do you think I should pace it to give myself an out side chance of 3hrs, without the chance of blowing up.?

My PB is 3:10 from last year (half way in 1:34) and training has gone very  well and I have all but hit all of the 3hr training paces + mileage is 20% more than last year (average 55 per week). My half PB is 1:24.

• Options

Hope you can treat yourself to a new pair of skinny jeans as one of your rewards for Paris...... how sore must you have been to have feet so swollen you had to cut yourself out - or is that more of a status of how tight your jeans really are !  ha ha .

• Options
    An absolutely fantastic result.  In the run up I thought that 2:55 might be slightly easy but when I saw the weather I though it would be a big but achievable challenge.  2:48 with a big -ve split is just incredible.  Hope you'll stick around - maybe join in the sub-3 thread.  Any thoughts yet on your next challenge?  sub-75  half and sub 34 10k shouldn't be totally out of reach by next autumn....
  • Options
    outstanding effort. well done!
  • Options

Well done Peter! All your hard work has been sooooooooooooo worthwhile! Congrats, well deserved.

• Options
    Metro G - I would aim for 91 at halfway. Possible then you may be able to pick up but it's not too fast for an eventual 3:05 based on your HM PB if you slow slightly. Conditions look OK for London.
  • Options
    Neil MacNeil Mac ✭✭✭

Hi everybody, I've only had a quick squint at this thread but this is my 1st post. Pete WELL DONE on a superb race, an amazing split time really!! As someone who'se PB is 3.01.40 you've given me the confidence to break through the barrier at London on Sunday! Cheers for the inspiration!

Wonder if I could ask Steve a question? Steve, my PB was set at Amsterdam in October, where I dived in the last 3 or 4 miles due to lack of energy. I took 4 gels that race, but am doubling up to 8 for London. Was planning on 1 every 3miles but do you think I should wait till a little later in the race, i.e say 5 or 6 miles to start taking them then do 1 every 2 or so miles? I'm guessing it doesnt really matter, but wondered if theres a better time to start taking on board your extra energy sources?

Cheers, and apols for being so self indulgent.

Neil.

• Options

Neil

To me eight is two many and you do risk a reaction. Personally I think 6 is enough but if you can take 8, I would go for one at start, 10K, 10 miles (or 15K), half marathon (or 20K), 25K, 30K, 35K, 40K - such landmarks make it easy in terms of routine but adapat as per your needs on the day and combine with water but not too much.

• Options

Cheers, Steve that sounds sensible to me and kinda what I was thinking.  It think you need to be confident in your game plan and not stretch to far, to have a good day.

Pete I hope your feeling well and still smiling!

• Options

Wow, stunning run Pete - really pleased you got the time you deserved.

I was in France on holiday last week and boy was it hot (and that was skiing in the alps) so thought you were in for a tough time with the weather, delighted my concerns weren't vaild... guess you weren't out there long enough for sun to take effectimage.  Really looking forward to reading you report

Good luck for sunday Neil M - my sub 3 attempt will be at the Dam again.

Cheers

Murph

• Options
    Neil MacNeil Mac ✭✭✭

Steve, THANK YOU very much for that advice, really appreciate you taking the time to answer my query. As someone who lacks a bit of confidence, has to run on his own all the time, and really doesn't have anyone to chat about distance running with, it's great to get tips/ideas etc on here.

As for the gels, get your point on 8 maybe being a bit too many, but I'm sure I can handle them, but I may end up not taking them all. I'm intending on taking as little lucozade sport drink on board as possible, sorry, but I find that stuff the most unpalatable drink going, it's gross, just way too sweet and hard to get down. I find gels, knocked back with a little water, far easier.

Cheers Murph, I'll be floating above London if I manage to squeek into the sub 3 category! A time of 2.59.59 and I'll be the happiest bloke in town haha! Good luck in the Dam - great race, and PB potential written all over it. I may do it again. though am thinking of doing Majorca the same week instead for a change.

• Options
    Come on Pete, full story!
  • Options

If Asics/ runners world did weekends...............

From the moment we arrived at St Pancreas on Friday morning it felt like I’d become a celebrity equipped with all the perks that go with it.

We got to Paris and soon realised just how hot race day was going to be. I love the sun and will always find an excuse to dust of the flip flops and get the bucket and spade out, but for what was ahead it may have been the first time I’d contemplated wanting it to hide behind a cloud.

The hotel was beautiful and although I did insist on white linen curtains in my room but you can’t have everything! On the Friday we all headed out for a meal and stocked up on pasta or anything that looked like it had carbohydrates lurking inside. The Saturday we went to the expo to collect our numbers and even got to choose something from the Asics store for a memento. Thanks Asics Love you.

We then had our pictures and video taken on the roof terrace which had a stunning view over Paris. Although there was no media training (which maybe something for next year lol) the video interview was pretty harmless and to be honest I quite enjoyed it. Next went more carbs for dinner and a early night mixed with watching the masters golf as I struggled to get to sleep. Think it was about 1:30 before I finally nodded off but as was pointed out a good nights sleep the night before isn’t as crucial as it sound, its more the nights before that.

On Race morning we woke up at 6:30 to stock up on breakfast and had to ignore confused looks from the hotel staff as we used the microwave in the hotel kitchen to create a huge bowl of porridge to pass round. I felt a bit like Ramsey and gave it the ‘check on 2 porridge’ when the waitress walked back in but I don’t think ‘the f words’ that big in France and I soon realised that microwaving oats mixed with water is quite a long way off a Michelin star.

Asics had a V.I.P bus that was looking out bang on the finish line so we headed there to do some last min preparations and have a few final words from Steve. As we headed to the start line it really hit home about what was in store and that the last 16 weeks had finally come down to the next few hours and the nerves were defiantly there. I managed to get into the front section at the start due to my Asics vip band so there was a bit of a gap between the main section which put to bed all my fears of getting held up at the start.

• Options

I had it all planned to run 2:55 at set and off at 4:10 km pace from the start. I was about 10 seconds down after the first few km and that was probably the only point at the race that I wasn’t sure that sub 3 hours was going to happen. The legs felt good but it always takes me a while to get into a race and sometimes the first few miles don’t provide an accurate measure of how the race is going to pan out.

Around 5km going along at 4:10 when I first spotted my family, who moved around to 3 points along the way and gave me that extra boost I needed when things got tough. At 10km I was still bang on track and saw Steve who ran alongside me for a bit giving me some really positive encouragement telling me that I was looking strong and bang on course to hit the target. As I got to around half way I’d picked up the speed a bit without purposely meaning to push things on and was around 30 seconds up at half way. At this point I felt really strong and wanted to push on and see if 2:50 was possible.

Working out that it would require just under sub 4kms I put the first few in at that pace and felt as though carrying on knocking them out was feasible given how I felt. At around 17 miles a few of the legendary team from Asics and runners world were there to cheers me on which again made a big difference and really made me believe that yeah I can do this!

When we got to 10k to go I knew I needed to do a sub 40 last 10k to make sub 2.50. It may seem strange but its these moments in races that I live for. That exact moment when you hurting and you start to doubt yourself and have to call upon your mental strength to work through it, is my favourite part of any race. The last few 10k gradually ticked by and as I turned the last corner for home I knew I was there. Crossing the finish line was a moment I will really never forgot. To achieve my goal on such a public stage and repay all the trust, support and bar bill that runners world, Asics and the forum had put into me still puts that smile back on my face.

• Options

I then slowly waddled back to the Asics bus to lots of hugs and well dones and to cheer on the others as they crossed the line. The bus was literally looking out over the finish line which was an amazing place to watch the end of such a huge marathon. There was food, drinks etc and my family came to join us to make the most of the free wine and cake.

I was really proud of the other super sixes who all did really well it what were really hot conditions. We have really felt like a team the whole way through and couldn’t have wished to share the whole experience with anyone else. The team at asics and runners world were so nice to and really made the weekend what it was. As amazing as the prize was, as with most things in life the people make it what it is and I really feel that as well as achieving a pb this weekend and learning not to wear skinny jeans after a marathon ive also met some really cool people and made a few friends along the way. Fredaricco!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Probably the less said about the antics and lets say exotic location of  the night out the better but dancing  away to the wee small hours of the morning in flip flops was a fitting end to a special day. I’m still on a massive high, despite needing to have afternoon naps like my Nan, but I think it will take a while to get come down to earth. Thanks again for everyone’s support and of course Steve who should take a lot of credit for my success. There is no way that just by simply following the schedule that I would have achieved the time I did. The added extra advice, reassurance and knowledge that I constantly received made it possible and I really have appreciated you going the extra mile. He has kindly offered to help in the next adventure which is to run 2:45 in the autumn. I have booked my place at Abingdon and despite thoughts about moving to 10ks and half’s the opportunity to make the champs section at London next year is a challenge I cant resist.

The plan will roughly be to work on speed for the first few months and then progress into the longer runs etc in the build up.

I know  a lot of you have said about the effects of the heat but I think the early start was really my saving grace. There were points where I was hanging on for the next water station but finishing before the real heat set in was a big difference to what the others has to experience. As ive said before I quite like the heat and often train when the suns turned up so the conditions weren’t as alien or uncomfortable as they might have seemed

Thanks Marigold for your offer of join up to BAC and be really good to join you guys and join in a few more sessions and races over the summer. Ive always liked the yellow and blue vests anyway but I might draw the line at bleaching my hair.

How did you get on in Brighton KR?

• Options
    Nice one Pete, quality report to go with a quality run, enjoy a bit of down time before you get back on it!

Sensible move on the hair bleaching decision, did it this morning and I seem to be a bit more "ginger" this time image
  • Options

No worries Marigold and dont worry the feet are well and truely up and ive got the number for dominos on speed dial! Gingers the new blond anyway i heard!

PMJ - I dont think it was really downhill or windy on the way back i think i just had one of those days!

Gymbunnie - The skinny jeans werent probalbly the best option after the race but i have plans to save the situation and turn them into a fetching pair of shorts!

• Options
    Great report Pete.  You do know that a 75min half will give you a champs spot too?  That said, IMO your stride is ideally suited to the marathon.  There's very little wasted effort with a high knee lift or anything like that.  I'm afraid that there's no way on earth I believe in a 2:45 target though.  2:10 or bust I think!  Seriously though you were probably in shape to run 2:45 last Sunday and I'd expect you to progress a little between now and Abingdon.  Maybe not another 18min PB but you've plenty of scope for increasing your training load still.
  • Options
    Hi Peter,

Just been reading your blog and inspired by it. Excellent result from you and you must be well chuffed.

I've been running for just over a year now with a club and looking for a sub 3 hour marathon for my first one in London on Sunday - probably a bit a tall order I know but like yourself have played football for a number of years and always been competitive.

My initial target was to get round, then sub 4 hours, then after doing a 20 mile race in early March this year in 2:17 lowered the target to sub 3!.

I have followed a very similar training plan to you but probably not as rigid with as many long runs and probably averaging at around 35-39 miles per week but peaking at low 50's in the last month of training.

My longest training run is 22 miles in 2:41, which means 7:20 minute miles and felt like I couldn't really go any faster over that distance and concerned I'll struggle to maintain 26.2 miles in 6:52's!.

Any tips for the day would be most welcome!.

Well done again on your achievement.

Darren.

• Options

Hi Darren, great you've been inspired by the super sixes, really humbling. It sounds like you must generally be in pretty good shape to be attempting a sub 3 hour marathon at your first attempt. I don't know many people who would attempt that and you sound like your out of the same mould as me in terms of the competitive streak.

I admire anyone who is willing to take a risk to complete challenge and wouldn't want to dampen your spirits but  would share your concerns in that you may find sub 3 a step to far initially. Your 20 mile race shows that you can keep sub 3 hour pace for that length and you obviously have natural talent if you have achieved this on less than 40 miles a week.

I would be honest and say that there is a big difference from 20 - 26 miles and you may find this is where you come undone. This said you sound dead set on going for sub 3 and whilst i'm all for the 'go hard or go home' attitude maybe reining it in a bit and going off at a slightly slower pace that still gives you the option of getting sub 3 with a negative split if your feeling good would be a better option. Maybe splitting the race into sections e.g doing the first 10 in 7min miles and re assessing from there? I know how it feels to get to half way and realising your struggling, it really isn't a place you want to be but you yourself know whether your willing to hold back or go all out.

I did my first marathon nearly 2 years ago having a 1:25 half and 2:25 20 miler in the bag and blew up after 20 coming in at 3:47. To do your first marathon in anything around 3 hours or 3:15 is pretty special in itself and whereas i know sub 3 is tempting 3:10 marathon gets you a guaranteed good for your age place at london for the next 2 years so maybe aiming for that and getting that sub 3 in 2012 should be your aim. Hope that help and be sure to let me know how your get on.

Clearly - Don't worry 2:45 is just the next target and then im sure i'll be onto the next, think 2:10 may be a bit to unrealistic but i really plan to progress and in only averaging around about 55 miles a week in this schedule there is defiantly room for lots of progression. Where are the olympics in 2016 lol?!

• Options

Really great report Pete - you have done yourself proud mate in keeping a level head all the way through and delivering on the day. The great thing is there is more talent to come out and with joining BAC and others of a similar abailty it should all fall into place for you. Good luck with Abingdon in October and hopefully you'll be a regular on the Forums as I'm sure a lot of poeple on here will be very interested to see how you progress now you are a 2.49 supastar!

BTW had a bad run at Brighton - 3.28.23. It was certainly a game of two halves. Went through halfway in 1.34.xx and felt fine, but suffered from really bad cramp in both calves from 19 miles onwards and just about managed to finish. There's always next time…

• Options
    Thanks for the sound advice Peter, will definitely take it on board. I know quite a few people who have been in good shape and have blew up as well.

Will plan to do the first 10 or 13 miles in 7's as you say or even just over and see how I feel from there.

As you say 26.2 miles is a lot further than 20 and could easily get found out.

Will be made up with 3:15 for the first one and that's probably a more realistic and sensible target.....who knows and may hit the wall and not even get under 4!.

Thanks again for the advice and will let you know how I get on.

Best Regards,

Darren
  • Options
    peter thompson 14 wrote (see)

PMJ - I dont think it was really downhill or windy on the way back i think i just had one of those days!

Pete, great run again! One thing to take away is that those days happen for two reasons.

The first is that they are just those days and they come round from time to time. You will suddenly find that a few minutes before the start of a summer evening race the wind dies, the air cools a bit and you have a cracker, or in the winter mud you seem to be finding the grip when others are sliding, or you set out for a run and your legs feel good and you add miles and it carries on. These things happen, just as the opposite as well, so you do get hot marathons and die, you do get days when you are runing backwards. This is luck and are are all victims to it.

The second is that those days come because you make them happen: if you want to look at it then you make your own good luck. If you train well and hard and sensibly then the races will come to you, and sure luck is a factor but you trained and tapered and felt good on the day. Maybe lady luck did smile on you on Sunday, but you sure helped to make her smile.

• Options
    Darren Russell wrote (see)
    Thanks for the sound advice Peter, will definitely take it on board. I know quite a few people who have been in good shape and have blew up as well. Will plan to do the first 10 or 13 miles in 7's as you say or even just over and see how I feel from there.

Darren,

If you plan to go sub 3 then 7s are too slow. Pete had a blinder and his negative split is very unusual and more the exception ratehr than the rule.

Lat year at VLM, 20 people went through half in 1:32:00, 01 or 02. The fastest finisher was 3:03, the slowest 3:41, most were round 3:10. (If you go to the website, you can sort on split as well as finish so you can see what peopel did at half way and where they ended up.)

If you feel you have a sub 3 in you, the bst chance you have of digging it out is to do a small postive split so 88:30 and 91:30.

Of course, this is all theory, but is also my plan for a sub 3.