Options

ASICS Super Six: Alison (Sub-3:30)

1464748495052»

Comments

• Options
    I am probably not going to be able to run the marathon after all that.

My twin sister was diagnosed with a rare heart defect today. As we are identical it is very likely that I have a hole between the two ventricles too.

Unfortunately the breathlessness on exertion, the fainting, the blue fingernails when running, exhaustion, declining performance and arrhythmia all add to the likelihood of me having the disorder.

The consultant cardiologist has told me I cannot run at all (let alone the marathon) until I've had an echo. Unfortunately they probably won't be able to schedule one until next week although he is doing his best.

If I do have a hole in my heart and I run the marathon I am risking sudden death (and will have been doing for every long run I've already completed, each one probably making the hole slightly bigger)

I have my fingers crossed that the consultant is able to squeeze me in and that my heart turns out to be normal after all.
  • Options
    OlympicNickOlympicNick ✭✭✭

Thats a nightmare, so sorry for you.

Defo not worth the risk, will you be supporting instead ?

Hope Doc fits you in and all turns out to be OK, keep us all posted.

FH 

• Options

Oh no SOLB. That's terrible news for you. Agree with FH - do not run on Sunday please!

Will email soon but please keep us all posted.

FH - best of luck to you. Weather looks fab - not too hot - jealous! Also keep us posted. Fingers crossed for you.

xox

• Options
    Hi FH and Krypto

Sorry FH I forgot to say good luck to you

I managed to get an echo. I can run if I run slowly and keep my heart rate down. The registrar is not happy with me running but he hasn't completely banned it either.

I know he would rather I didn't but it means more to me than a normal run. The marathon was supposed to mark a change - a break from the psychosis, it was about building a version of myself I could be proud of, not being a victim any more and desperately wanting other people to know that exercise really does help with mental health issues. Maybe if I can just get across how powerful it is I can convince someone to try it and save them from some of the pain, I passionately want to help. I feel like I need to tell people, I wish I could really show them - if people could see how strong the hallucinations are and even glimpse the relief of knowing they are not all powerful because they are silenced by running they'd try it and it could help.

Sorry I'm rambling, too difficult to explain and I've not slept or eaten for 3 days (not the best preparation for the mara but I'm getting to bed now and carb loading from tomorrow)

I have a cardiology appointment next week (it usually takes months to come through) so that should tell me a bit more about what's happening with my heart.

I am going to try to run the marathon but to go into it fully prepared to both run slowly and drop out if I am feeling ill.

I'll have to be good because I'm looking after my sisters little girl while she is in hospital. My niece is gorgeous and naughty and 3 - I'll have a great time hanging out with her, we are very good friends but I am really struggling with worrying about my sister.

Please keep your fingers crossed for Sunday (and for SOLBsis)
    x
  • Options
    Solb, go steady and all the very best I really hope you have a great run and enjoy the day.

Thanks krypton Will post time on Sunday at somepoint .

FH
  • Options

((solb and sister and family))  Will be thinking of you on Sunday.  Slow and steady please.

• Options

SOLB - if you feel at all dizzy, please walk, stop, anything.

If your mind is set on doing it, then please just be, as USB says, slow and steady.

And look after yourself. 

Can you post your sponsorship page again please? I want to publicise you and your fight. 

xox

• Options

Hey,

Thank you so much everyone for your support and concern. The registrar has me suitably petrified; slow and steady all the way.

I don't get a medal if I die before the finish line and I want one!!

http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/AshleighPatten Always happy to post the link! (thanks for the offer to publicise the fight)

xxx 

• Options

Good luck SOLB and FH for tomorrow, just have a great time!

Sorry not been on for a while, we've sold our house and had an offer accepted on a house all in the space of two weeks...not bad in a slow market!

Anyways, it appears I have got some of my speed back. I PB'd at local 10km race by some 50 seconds. My time was 41.46...felt really strong and passing people all the way to the end. All that marathon training was good for something.

• Options

Hi Dan! Great news on all the hose stuff. Everyone well? Hope so. I've just put in an offer of my first property - so exciting and scary at the same time! Fingers crossed.

Thinking about Dublin marathon at end of October - unlikely to be a hot one! 

Went for about 8 miles today though, and got so much crp in my eyes and pollen hitting the back of my throat. This is exactly why, unlike most, I am skinnier in the winter than the summer - really don't like running in London in the summer. Hmph. 

Also, I have fallen for a new sport - rollerskiing. I am addicted. It's cross country skiing but on kind of long roller blades with two only two wheels, one at either end of each. Check it out and come along to Hyde Park! http://www.rollerski.co.uk/index.html

The instructor for beginners is great and so enthusiastic, and it's a perfect alternative if you're getting at all worried about running impact, like me (although clearly not that worried - see above!).

Hope everyone's having a good weekend. I am somewhat sunburnt - ouch!

• Options
    Also, thinking of SOLB and FH in Edinburgh tomorrow. GOOD LUCK!!!
  • Options
    In bed in the Tiger Lily Hotel , sleep now FH !

Thanks for comments , will update later on Sunday.
  • Options

Ooh, posh! But noisy, no?

Go go go!

• Options
    Well Done SOLB & FH. Very close finishing times. Did you meet each other?
  • Options

Great news both! Have stalked your results - hope you don't mind. So pleased for you! Hope you're feeling ok and super proud of yourselves - you should be!

Sleep well tonight and wear the medal for the next week at least!

How were conditions? Tell all!

• Options
    Ha ha no I'm delighted you stalked the results;

10k: 01:00:33
    Half: 02:12:29
    30k: 03:14:37
    Marathon: 04:44:43

I wanted to update you yesterday and let you know I was OK after the race but I can only view the forum and not post from my phone.

I got into cardiac difficulty between miles 6-10 and 23-25 but other than that felt pretty good - even managed a sprint finish (well felt like a sprint was probably a wobbly jog!)

I had so much fun, I was even known as 'smiley girl' by a fab group of strangers who cheered me on through the race.

Weather was very odd - blazing sunshine, howling winds (against us for the last 8 miles) and freezing rain ... made for some interesting running.

I'm already thinking about where to run next (after the heart op of course)

Ahh no missed FH (though we might have seen each other,I like to think so)

Thank you all so much for your help image feeling all warm and fuzzy towards my virtual friends! xxx
  • Options

SOLB and FH - Excellent results...well done on superb achievements both of you.

• Options

Fantastic SOLB!!!

How did it go FH?

Dan - Congrats on the 10k PB and a new world record on house selling time. My neighbour has had their property on the market for 4 months now with no real interest yet.

Nothing to report really from my running. Just keeping things ticking over at the moment until I have identified and entered a new event in a couple of months. Brought a pair of vibram five fingers at the weekend but not planning to do any running in them as will use them for the beach, river paddling with the kids etc. Always had a weird thing about not liking dry sand between my toes so this should fix that!

• Options
    Update,

Felt really good, half way at 1.53, still feeling ok at 15,16 and 17 then the wheels came off ! just felt so drained, legs didn't want to run and to be fair I was of the same mind.

The freezing rain and the wind for the last 8 miles were hell. I was trying to get going but I was tired, cold and fed-up, just wanted to stop and go home. Managed to run slowly for mile 18 and then splits were bad !!

19 - 15 mins
    20 - 13.40
    21 - 14.55
    22 - 16.49
    23 - 16.35
    24 - 14.49
    25 - 13.04
    26 - 13.37

I think I pushed to fast for first 13 miles, so that was a big FH error !! Having run London 5 weeks ago and the lack of decent training since March didn't help. But it was a great course, nice crowd of runners and supporters, so that helped.

Gutted I didn't see SOLB pass me !! I was wearing a Tartan Hat with ginger hair, will post a pic later.

Thanks for all your support. I know yesterday was not how I normally like to race, there will be other days and better times image

FH
  • Options
    WOW I saw you a few times FH, wish I'd known it was you image
  • Options

Both, I am super impressed. Edinburgh was my first marathon and only managed 4:16 and had none of the problems you guys faced both before and during the race.

Well done. So proud!

How are you feeling now? Diaries out?! DUBLIN 31 OCTOBER is the place to be...

xox

• Options

Thanks Krypton.  

I am planning on two marathons in 2012, London and New York or Chicago.   My plan is to race once a month throughout the year, I am fundraising for 4 charities with the aim of raising £2012 for each of them !!

I own the website www.olympicnick.com   I will use this site to help with my fundraising.

For the rest of this year ...  Ipswich Half in September and Bedford Half in December

FH 

• Options
    Great idea for a site FH. Let me know when it is up and running and I'll sponsor you for £20.12

What is the Bedford half like? I don't normally do any events around that time of year but am thnking a half would be good to get an idea of where I am before I start a trainng plan for Brighton.

Dublin marathon this year is very very tempting!! Had to stop myself from immediately signing up and will instead sleep on it for abit.
  • Options
    Coups. Cheers for you kind offer, will remind you nearer the time. !

The money will go to Barnardo's , Teenage Cancer Trust , Thames Valley Air Ambulance and Naiomi House (a childrens hospice)

Bedford is the last half of the year, its in mid december. Nice route, great marshals and organisation. So It gets the vote from me. I think it gets about 2000 entries.

FH

P.s. My 2010 fundraising site was www.Fredandwilma.co.uk

Have a look !
  • Options
    I did Bedford half last December and I agree it was lovely - very comfy black rugby jumpers instead of medals at the end, plenty of hot tea and Christmas pudding to finish, and kind and enthusiastic marshals. It was very atmospheric running through early morning frost too!

Very happy Ally's flying the Dublin flag... it's meant to be the 'friendly' marathon!
  • Options
    FH WOW looks good

Dublin looks like fun too image

Surprisingly I feel fine after the run, I didn't even get sore legs (though that's probably because I ran so conservatively so I shouldn't be too smug)

I'm going a bit crazy now, I want a new challenge to chase away the post marathon blues but am wary of committing to anything til I know what's happening with the cardiology team ... wonder if B&Q sell anything I could use to fill in heart holes

How are the fast miles coming on? Anyone still running them??