Options

ASICS Super Six: Alison (Sub-3:30)

Comments

• Options

Alison - thanks for your vote of confidence. I saw your video from Paris. Blimey, it looked hot!

I hope to be at mile 19 around 2:23,.. I'll be wearing an orange I CAN top - number 40707.

Dan - I'm also in the red zone, pen 3. Come and say hi. Descriptor above. Photo of me at  http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/robcope or Twitter @robantonycope. I can't seem to upload a pic on to this forum.

Good luck everyone. Nearly there...

• Options

Rob - Don't you mean 12.23?  I will look out or you at the start.

Dan

• Options
    Dan - ah yes, I meant 2 hrs 23 into the race. Mind. Very. Distracted..
  • Options

Rob - Sorry, I get what you mean now.

Best of luck to everyone for Sunday.

• Options

Shall we start a list of all of us running VLM e.g. name, race number, start colour, pen number, anything else you want to add. Please everyone on this thread (posters and lurkers) join in...

Blue start:

Green start:

Red start:
    danchapman - 41007, pen 3, target time 3:45
    Rob Cope -  40707, pen 3

• Options

Good luck to everyone doing Larnden.

Its cooler northern climes for me next - Chester in October.

• Options
    roadrunna ... I am a member of the Reading Road Runners too, dont get down to Palmer Park much as wednesday is my rest day, will be doing a different rest day soon so I can get my sorry arse fitter !!

I am RED 53309, I will get to mile 19 as quick as I can !!

Alison, what will you be dressed as ?? Fancy dress ??

Name on front NICK (thats my real name !!)

FH
  • Options

I haven't got my Sunday outfit planned yet! I do have a tutu kicking around the flat though, and a gorilla mask!

I'll be at the Purple Patch stand though, with Alex S (sub-4). 

I am so so excited for you all! I will be jumping around cheering you all on. Wonder if I can burn as many calories as I did last Sunday... around 3,400!

I just went for a run, and it was so lovely! Cool, clear night along the embankment and followed the river all the way home. 

• Options
    Oh Ally how were your quads? I was down on my knees in the baking ingredient this evening, then to save the ache of pulling myself up and then crouching down in front of the baking tin cupboard, I ended up crawling across the kitchen floor. What has the marathon done to me?!

Confirmed I will be with Alison on Sunday screaming our lungs out and jumping up and down - wearing bright RED.
  • Options
    How were the legs Alison? They should feel better slightly every day now and virtually normal by Sunday though not enough to run 26 miles again!
  • Options

My legs were pretty much fine as of yesterday! Stairs no trouble today. My run last night was definitely  more of a jog, and I was only going at about 9:10 min miles. My calves were really tight to start off with and all legs tired by the time I got home (7 miles) but I really enjoyed it!

As Sarah physio knows, I was doing lots of core strength stuff as in previous races my quads had been agony, so I am disappointed that again they were sore during the race and afterwards. Means am still not using quite the right muscles. Also feet felt totally unflexible during the race, and towards the end of yesterday. I wonder why that is... Any ideas?

@Alex - crawling is not a good sign! Why were you cooking on the floor? See you tomorrow! xox

• Options

sore quads are almost inevitable post marathon - short of ice baths and generally i find the warmer it is the worst the legs are - probably a result of less fluid in the legs/muscles.

Alex must have had too much cooking sherry.

• Options

To be honest the rum for the flourless chocolate chestnut cake had run out so I had to resort to Tesco's finest brandy. For cooking though!  Which didn't take place on the floor! I was just down there trying to get ingredients and baking tins out of the backs of cupboards. I think we should focus on me baking three chocolate-based cakes but not licking the spoon or my chocolate-covered fingers once.

Excited about Sunday.... but BRING ON THE END OF LENT!

See you tomorrow Al x

• Options

That is impressive. Several friends have had to make do with banana cake variants owing to two things:

1. Lots of old bananas kicking around the flat - I buy them because I think I ought to and then only eat, like, one; and

2. I am refusing to make my speciality brownies as I don't think I can trust myself around a kilo of choc!

Does Lend end on Good Friday? Please say yes - only a week to go! Although thinking about the Easter story, I can't see why it wouldn't end until Easter Monday... Oh no!

• Options
    Easter Sunday Easter Sunday!
  • Options
    What did you give up?
  • Options

I don't mean just chocolate - what am I saying?! CHOCOLATE.

Have replaced choc with silly amounts of dried fruit and nuts - almost same calories per 100g!

Interesting...

Creme Egg, Cadbury's

Calories in 100g of creme egg

Calories 445.0 cals

Carbohydrate 71.0g

Protein 3.0g

Fat 16.0g

Fibre 0.0g

Calories in a Creme Egg (39g): 173.6 cals

• Options

Waitrose Wholesome nut and dried fruit selection:

per 100g

479kcal

Protein: 9.8g

Carbs: 38g

of which sugars: 33.7g (eek!)

Fat: 32g (double eek!)

Fibre: 4.4g

• Options
    Kryptonite wrote (see)
    Just chocolate.

Are you insane?????

I struggle to give up chocolate for 40 minutes let alone 40 days image

I even ate a large bar of lindt from the local tabac on Saturday afternoon - not exactly text book carb loading - and took a chocolate bar from a little boy just after we left Bois de Vincennes on Sunday.*

*In my defence I didn't steal it, he and his mother were handing them out, which I thought was really sweet.  Everyone seemed to be ignoring him so I felt I ought to take one.  That's my excuse anyway...

• Options

The definition of altruism am sure!

How did your race go? Wasn't the choc already a bid liquidy, even at the Bois de V?!

• Options

It made for sticky fingers at least until the next 'hose down', that's true.

Race wise was great until Trocadero - averaging 7:58 until then - but the heat got to me after that, with stomach cramps causing me to stop a couple of times until they passed.  Got back to MP for a very painful last 1.5 miles but by then the damage was done.  On another day I'm sure we'd have all coped better but I'm fair skinned and used to training on frozen Leeds canal towpaths so heat is always a challenge.

• Options

I'm good with heat. Still can't actually see why the guy soaked me with the hose?  I was already wet!

As you can guess it didn't go down too well.

Some choice words were exchanged between myself  & I.

• Options

I quite liked the hoses - found them quite welcome in terms of cooling me down though it might explain why I lost the tape off my right nipple - and got very sore as a result!

Talking of which did you see the English translation on Page 15 of the guide~?

• Options

Made me and the wife chuckle.

Lost mine too.

• Options

What's more ridiculous is that they haven't changed the hilarious translation since last year. Maybe they keep it there to give us a laugh!

Well done Leeds Rob! It really was scorchio, so we'll all do better next time... n'est-ce pas?

• Options

Yep, I'm sure the weather is always 'better' i.e. cooler in the even years.  That's a cast iron scientific fact.  Possibly. 

Anyway, I genuinely believe the weather on Sunday was like a 15 minute 'penalty'.  Pats on the back all round!

Are you guys doing an autumn one?

• Options

Alison

You did so well considering the heat, a HUGE well done. Do you think the nutrition went to plan apart from water?

• Options
    Leeds Rob wrote (see)

I quite liked the hoses - found them quite welcome in terms of cooling me down though it might explain why I lost the tape off my right nipple - and got very sore as a result!

Talking of which did you see the English translation on Page 15 of the guide~?

I ran through one hose and it literally took my breath away so the next time I just aimed for the misty bit
  • Options
    Good Luck to everyone running VLM
    Alison you seem much more relaxed now, are you feeling happier?