Options

RW Forum Six - Sub 5.30

Comments

• Options
    Tickled Pink wrote (see)

No, you'd just put the hypochondriac items into an alphabeticised list Schmunks image

Achillies
    Cold
    Hamstring

<splutter>  LOL

• Options
    Soup Dragon wrote (see)
    You'll have a lovely time with spreadsheets when your heart rate training gets underway Schmunks. image
    Guilty as charged already, M'lud image
  • Options
    SpenceSpence ✭✭✭
    Tickled Pink wrote (see)
    There was somebody in the office with a cold today.  I nearly sacked her image

hahahaha!! Brilliant!

A couple of years ago, before my first half marathon (which I received a lot of sponsorship* for) a child at school had a strop myself and the head were trying to restrain him and he was kicking out and I suddenly heard myself say "The legs! Not the legs"

Really makes me laugh now!! image

*5K ! image

• Options
    I think a large net on a long pole should be issued for such occasions Windy.
  • Options

It's called Taper Madness and totally normal.

Have re-written the plan. I am usually far more anal about them, but between me you and the world at large, I am, as they say "in therapy" at the moment and he pointed out, quite rightly, that my running has ceased to be a release and a joy, but has become an obsession. He's right, sadly. When I am running is the only time I feel alive and free. So when I deleted it by accident, I took it as an internal sign - but after two days got too anxious and have tonight re-written. I will try to do as he said tho - run for the sheer hell of it and not cos I have too! image

• Options
    But surely it's too early for the mad tapirs to be let loose from their zoo.  I wasn't expecting them until late March at least .... I haven't got any tapir food in nor sorted out a pen for them image
  • Options

Morning all.  Keep those tapirs locked up for us TP cos I agree its far too early to let them out yet.  They make me think I can't run more than 2 miles.

8 miles today.  Just working myself up to braving the bus because its run home day.  But I'm feeling a bit sluggish, probably cos the Loperimide still hasn't worn off!  Thank dog I only took 1 tablet. image 

• Options
    Johnny Morris (I would suggest google for our younger listeners who are looking puzzled) has been along and collected the tapirs.  They are back in the zoo and I am feeling fine image
  • Options
    Johnny Morris!! What a guy!
  • Options

Brilliant TP!!  I'm at work and just had to log on hum along......all together now.......dum dum dumdum tee dum, dum dum tum dee tee dum.....................................imageimage

Thanks Johnny

• Options

Aaahh Johnney Morris.............

<drifts off into childhood memories - even black and white ones image>

It's odd actually now i think about it - all my childhood memories are in colour bar one of JM in his zoo keepers outfit earnestly peering out of my tv screen at me imageimage

• Options

I've been eager to do this all day..........the magic of Johnny Morris (ahhhhhhh)

Edit - did he say bloody hell??  He did didn't he?? imageimage  Things were different back then.
  • Options
    SpenceSpence ✭✭✭

ahhhh Johnny Morris image

3 easy miles for me image

• Options

Oh yes, thanks Windy I forgot myself there.........running, that's whats I'm meant to be talking about. 8.4 miles for me and it was very mixed. Left my HR strap behind so had to run to PE.  Schedule said a steady rather than a slow 8 miles so I thought I'd pick up the pace a bit but got it too fast and stopped gasping after 2 miles.  My glasses were slipping down so I took them off and thought my pod was saying 11:30 min miles but when I stopped I realised it was saying 10:30 min miles.  No wonder I was puffing.  But I couldn't find a pace after that, my glasses were annoying me and I was too warm in my thermal top cos the sun had come out.  Then the Loperimide started to wear off 2 miles later when I was passed my scheduled "pit stop opportunity".  I thought about cutting the run short but carried on when I remembered there is a new cafe in the park I was heading for (phew).  Did run/walk to get there at a fastish run pace then decided to jog up one of some small hills that have been built as a viewing points (the old Wembly stadium is buried under them) then ran the 2 miles back home at 11:30 pace which was hardish but not too bad.  Taking some positives out of it I've learned not to start too fast because it really messes me up, and that I can carry on even when my brain tells me it doesn't want to. Oh and to get my glasses tightened up. 

I'm a bit tired now.  Total time for 8.5 miles was 1:42 but that included a couple of stops and walking breaks.

• Options
    SpenceSpence ✭✭✭

well done Soupy image

I could almost, if I really thought about it, have a sore throat image So I'm not going to think about it !! image

• Options
    DLDL ✭✭✭

What a load of speedy and dedicated runners you're all becoming. Slightly barmy runners, but runners nonetheless.

I always felt Johnny Morris was a bit cruel in forcing all the animals to speak, but I see equity put a stop to it when they realised they'd have to pay more for a speaking part.

I have returned from a 2 day residential where I discovered my idea of being slightly lurgified may be an underestimation. People recoiled in horror and kept asking if I had seen a doctor. Though I was getting better but voice disappearing and snot levels increasing again - aaaarrrrgggggghhhhh. How long before I really need to start panicking about lack of training please

• Options

hurray DL is back. image  But not hurray that you are still lurgified. image So have you seen a doctor then?? You might need antibiotics you know (yes I know they don't help colds and flu but throat/chest infections are different), are you coughing up anything and what does it look like? 

• Options
    DLDL ✭✭✭

Are you qualified to give advice on the contents of my sputum Soupy?? image

Now there's a word you don't get to use too often - qualified

Anyway back to the question - <look away now if you're about to have dinner> Not coughing much of anything up during the day, irritating cough, tickly etc. At night thogh it's the green snot nose and cough

<I'm really sorry everyone - that's Soupy's fault - she asked!!!!!'

• Options

Coughing up green bits can be a sign of a chest infection. Get yourself off to the docs sharpish.  Clear stuff is okay, green isn't.  (I used to be a nurse).  Have you tried inhaling Vic in warm water with a towel over your head at night?  It will help to loosen the stuff.  And you need plenty of fluids. 

<takes nurses hat off>

• Options

Look!  We can keep an eye on the tapirs here!!!  Tapir cam  image

(yes, I'm bored)

• Options

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/223573/Gallery/Pete_Webster_set02.jpg

this is the hill I ran up today - by choice, extra to what I'd planned. It was great because the path winds round and round and goes up very gentle but it was enough to make me puff just a bit harder. I'm going to do it again.  image   (still bored)
  • Options

The tapirs seem to have gone to the pub image

Oh I like the look of that hill Soupy.  I also struggle with trying to see my garmin without specs and struggle to run with them - although I am fine with my prescription sunspecs.  I have to stop and peer sometimes to see how far I have gone.

Just over 7 tonight.  Felt horrible at the start as it seemed my legs were made of lead and I kept thinking the niggly achillies was niggling when I don't think it was really.  It is a little bit now but not as sore as on Tuesday and it's going to see the magic fingers of Brid tomorrow.  Couldn't see my garmin for pace so just took it how it felt and I think I took 1.24 which makes it just a fraction under 12 mm which is slower than my usual mid week trot but I will live with it.

Didn't help that I had stated my intention to leave work at 5 but ended up not getting away until 6.25 which meant I didn't get out the door to start my plod until about 7 which is far too late for my liking.  For the avoidance of this in the next couple of weeks (when it's 8 and 10 midweek) I have taken a couple of half days on the next Thursdays.

I may have had to pop out post shower but pre dinner for a bottle of SB and a creme egg. image

DL, if it's the cough I had then it took nearly 3 weeks to shift. I tried everything to stop the night time tickles as they wore me down.  I am not good without my sleep.  What Sister Soupy says is true, coughing up green or yellow is doctor territory.  Snotting very yellow or blood streaked stuff can mean a sinus infection ... and am I an expert in those ... yuk!

• Options

DL - I would agree with the others - you may need antibiotics to shift the infection.

Soupy and TP - well done on perseverng with your runs, even though mentally you didn't want to. My feeling is that when we want to stop, we probably have two more "goes" in us before we need to stop, if that makes sense. Mind you, when a girl I am mentoring here fell over the other night, I had to conceded she was tired - LOL!

Just off to attempt a 17 - one of the girls from my club is coming so that should keep me from bailing out.....

• Options
    Help! I've got a mentor who works people untill they drop!!!!

Have a good 17 miler Min.
  • Options

LOL Soupy image

DL - don't need to panic quite yet I would suggest......but equally so I would look twice or thrice at Ashby given that it's close and you've missed a couple of long runs (in addition to the speedy stuff) which might make 20 miles an unnecessary over reach given the great plan.........................

• Options

ah that would be sad though Podds - we're looking forward to seeing DL at Ashby

Podds is right though DL - no need to panic, you seem well ahead of schedule so missing a couple of weeks will be fine - but please go to the docs if it doesn't improve soon, cos otherwise it could drag on longer and then you really will be missing out on training!

if you're worried about the schedule - perhaps have a word with XB - he's pretty good at the whole plan thing, he could recommend how to re-jig your long runs

Soupy - well done on your midweeker - that's really fab - and that hill looks lovely!

• Options
    Jenni-far-far wrote (see)

ah that would be sad though Podds - we're looking forward to seeing DL at Ashby

I'm sure, but t'would prolly be best not to kill her off !!!!!!!!!!!  Her OH might object to being left with the cats image

You've had the honour previously at Stratford haven't you?

• Options
    And we have our own mentor over here in the form of the edjermercated and helpful M.in - no need for one from "the other target speed" thread image
  • Options

What Plods said, DL - and more than happy to take a look at your plan and advise if I can.

I don't always make them drop, Soupy...

well, we did 16 not 17 and managed to get lost more than once - was good fun though!!!

• Options
    SpenceSpence ✭✭✭
    DL get yourself well, you're coming to Ashby !!