Options

RW Forum Six - Sub 5.30

Comments

• Options

Soupy

Perhaps you could try keeping a really detailed food diary for a while and see if you can identify a trigger food or even ingredient

At the end of the day continuing with the Loperimide (or whatever it is?) is a bit like taking painkillers to train through an injury:
    - short term  you can continue
    - long term you risk much more damage
    - nothing gets identified or resolved
    - you risk further unbalancing your system

The digestive system is affected by running partly because blood supply is diverted away from it in order to better support muscles and the cv system and partly (although not all subscribe to this theory) due to the physical jiggling around interfering with peristalsis so any food which is not normally be a problem could be the cause during the heightened sensitivity caused by exercise.......

..........but then thinking about it given  your background you've probably worked this all out already image

Other than the proverbial cork which would be darn uncomfy for 26.2 miles I can't think of what else to suggest !!

• Options

Hi Podds - yes a food diary might be an idea.  Its happening on every run now  and I'm deffo not taking Loperimide again (not until race day anyway).  I've never struggled like this before and don't know why its suddenly started up.  I'll keep a note of what time I eat and what time I run as well to see if there is any pattern there.  For my long run I'm going to make sure I plan a route with plenty of facilities because I can't rely on just an initial 3 mile pit stop anymore.  It was 3 miles and 8 miles at the weekend. Todays cramps felt like trapped wind.  And on that note.........I'm off to bed.

Night all.

• Options

Caffeine was one of the triggers for me in my IBS days.  I now restrict myself to two small cups of coffee and one diet coke a day.  The other trigger I found was red meat which I love but which I cut down on although that's creeping up again.

Tonights training light note was I got to the gym and found I'd forgotten my sports bra.  Reckoning it was only a short intervals session I did it in my normal bra.  I am not exactly shortchanged in the chesticles dept.  I think the bloke in the next tready was worried I'd give myself a black eye or two ... I could tell he was trying not to look but couldn't stop himself image

Last year I'd have used that as an excuse to wimp out.

• Options

eeek - I can't do without caffeine! image

Well done on not wimping out TP.  And for giving the bloke on the next treddy some entertainment. image 

Its raining here but I don't care, I'm going to do an enjoyable 5 miler after work, no watch just a relaxed run.

• Options

I was about to type what Podds said, so clearly won't repeat. Caffiene can have a very negative effect tho, and it may worth looking at how much you do drink - bearing in mind that tea has as much, if not more than coffee. There is also the mental aspect - you think you will, so therefore you do?

Good to see that you are drawing a positive from it all and an excellent idea to run for fun today.

TP - doesn't matter if the route is lumpy, so long as you do them on the same degree of lumpiness, if you see what I mean.

DL - wouldn't do the R/W unless you are planning on doing that on the day - if you are planning on running, best to run Ashby slower but continual than stop start, if stop start is not what you are training for. Not much to choose between Melds' and my suggestions - do whatever fits with life.

• Options
    SpenceSpence ✭✭✭

6 x 400m done & dusted image

8:25, 8:44, 8:15,, 9:11, 8:20, 8:32 image

The 9:11 was when I had to stop for someone pulling off their drive image

TP, that bloke prolly had great dreams last night!!image

• Options
    Excellent work, Windy!
  • Options
    SpenceSpence ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Min .. just to spice things up, lets have a differing of opinion on the R/W

I think if you are low on mileage or have missed a week or two due to injury then a R/W session for a long run can be good as it limits any damage that may have otherwise been done on over stretching mileage wise
    I dont think it can do much harm as a one off to this type of session as a means to an end and then revert to normal thereafter?

That said, it is indeed personal choice

Cept for Windy who needs to do what she is damn well told   image
  • Options
    SpenceSpence ✭✭✭

hahahahaha !!!!

Don't I always !! image

• Options

Sorry to lower the tone of the conversation again. image  Just one more post on the topic then I'll move on..........I've been googling runners trots and found some useful info here  and here and one of loads of threads on the subject. Interstingly, there is mention of hot water not being good and I've been having a lot of that in place of tea after 11am at work.  So just cold water today.  Hydration seems to be key too.

Right, off for my gentle fun 5 miler so see you later.  Its still raining but I really don't care, just can't wait to get out there for an enjoyable, no pressure run. image

• Options

edit - tried to do a thumbs up thingie but it didn't work.   Calling Little Ninja - how do I do that cos this guide didn't work.

So I'll have to do this: image

• Options

Well done that Dragon image

• Options
    How did you do that TP???? Don't just tease me! image image
  • Options
    Ah! Thing is Melds, I agree - what you say is very valid and worth DL thinking abt!

I have a friend who suffered poorly tum when running - I'll ask her what she did about.

4 mile gentle plod with my wonderful sister who let's me offload to her the whole time. I wish she knew how much I value her.

Posting from my phone - get me! Haha!
  • Options
    DLDL ✭✭✭

Morning

As always sounds like some very good intervalling

On the toilet talk - Is there any way to mentally  train yourself to go before you run - in anticipation?. If you conjure up the feelings you have when you're running you might be able to trick your brain into triggering the urge before you get out the door - it works for me.

Thanks for all the advice about doing/not doing Ashby running/run-walking it !!! image. I think my long run this weekend will be the thing that gives me a little more insight into what I need to do (lie down in a darkened room with a damp flannel on my forehead probably!)

Got in late-ish last night so thought I'd do a little bit of cross training on the rower that I borrowed from my brother. All was going well until about 15 minutes in when I pulled and it didn't retract. I now have a nice long bit of nylon strapping that isn't attached to the rower - maybe I could use it as a skipping rope. Shall take the screwdriver to it at the weekend before I phone the bro and see how much I owe him. Ooops

• Options
    SpenceSpence ✭✭✭
    It's funny you should say that about training yourself to go before hand, as that's kinda what I've done ! I had an 'incident' once when I had to head home very quickly, but I'd had double portions of veg curry the night before, I shan't be doing that again!! Interesting that caffeine can be a factor, I started having caffeine free tea a year or so back as I drink so much of it, had a head ache for a week but then was fine.
  • Options

Where did my post go? It was really long and information and witty and everyfink!

D'oh!

• Options

oh dear Soupy, I'm afraid I've heard a lot of peeps say that caffeine can be a trigger for the dodgy tummy - and high fibre foods.

err, don't know why I'm discussing this, but - I always have hot drink, go to the loo, run round the block as a warm up (1 mile) go to the loo again, then continue my run! but I have had the occasional err, incident - yikes!

question about intervals - are you guys all doing 400m intervals? - I've only started doing intervals recently (still not keen) but I've been doing 5 mins with 2 min recoveries - so more like 1/2 mile. Any thoughts on what's best, or any other ideas?

• Options

Caffeine is a definite trigger to the point where many runners specifically have a something like a double expresso a couple of hours before racing in order to...............be prepared for the run shall we say......

Or you could go like me who drinks sooooooooo much caffeine that it now has no effect whatsoever image

FWIW I rarely eat fruit or veg as am not keen on either and have never (touch wood) suffered digestive issues..........which just goes to show you can correlate anything to prove a point if you wish too !!

• Options

Afternoon.  5 miles today, 1 mile warm up (11.40m/m) 3 miles tempo (mile 1 10:30m/m; mile 2 11:30m/m; mile 3 11:10m/m)  mile 5 cool down 11:50m/m.  And no funny tummy so managed to get past Sainsburys at mile 3 for the first time in ages. image  I cut my tea intake down to just 2 cups (one on waking and one at work) and had a couple of glasses of plain cold water throughout the day. 

<looks for Mins missing post>

Jenni - I'm doing all sorts of different intervals from 200m right up to 1.5 miles. My interval sessions are different every week.  I don't know why and I just do what it says but I quite like the variety. 

• Options

Evening.  8 for me today which turned out to be 8.45 due to a street in the village being closed.  Struggled badly for the first 2 - felt like somebody had poured cement into my legs - but picked it up and avg was 11.53 I think.  Felt odd running on a weekday afternoon but it was nice and warm.  I even managed to <whisper> take my gloves off image

Hair cut and digitally remastered this evening and I now have my feet up with a glass of SB.  Long run on Sat this week to allow for my awayday to letch at the gawjuss rugby boys so will have to forego my usual Friday slurp.

Good running their Soupy.  No tummy troubles for me either today. image

• Options

ooo nice hair TP. image Good luck on Saturday (and Sunday).  And long may the tummy be free.

I felt a bit heavy legged too today TP and I think it was because that big heater in the sky had been switched on (can't remember the propper name cos its been so long) and perhaps because the schedule has upped to 5 days so ran yesterday too.  But I decided not to dwell on it and just get on to try and fight the negative thoughts that are creeping in.  image 

• Options

I was the same Soupy, mentally whinging for the first couple but there was no way I was going to quit so I guess my inner whinge gave up and just let the lead legs get on with it.  It's 90% in your head this running thing ....

Glad I booked a half day for this Thurs and next one as there is no way I'd have coped with this distance starting at 6.30 when I got in from work.

• Options
    DLDL ✭✭✭

Evening all

Nice barnet TP

and good plodding -TP and Soupy -  I nearly always find the first two miles or so quite hard - quite depressing on a short run!

JFF - the intervals I was doing had about 9 weeks of 400m increasing from about 6 reps to 14 reps now I'm now supposed to be doing tempo runs which for some reason always makes me think of bontempi runs. It's called the 'endurance' phase, I have apparently done the 'stamina' phase - or maybe it was the other way round - I'm not really sure if there's much difference between endurance and stamina !!??

I managed a 5 mile plod this morning - sadly before the sun came out. Found another new secret path - moving to a new place and running certainly helps you discover all the nooks and crannies. Whilst I like the sunshine I definetly prefer running in the cold.

• Options
    SpenceSpence ✭✭✭
    Tickled Pink wrote (see)

I even managed to <whisper> take my gloves off image

I'm still wearing 2 pairs !!

I didn't realise the plan has 8 mile mid week runs image and ups to 5 days !? imageimage

perhaps I should have read it all through!!

but prolly better that I didn't image

• Options

Next week's midweek run is 10 miles image but that's the longest.

I don't read much more than 1 week ahead.

image I'm shattered.

• Options
    Eveni g peeps!! I think what both TP and Soupy have shown there is that mental strength has a heck of a lot to do with it! It's hard to run thru cement legs, but a great achievement when you do. If all the runs were easy, we wouldn't love what we do!!

I think the tummy thing has no 'right' answer - it seems we all have differing strategies! That said, some foods are triggers.

Regarding intervals, I believe that the key is that the intervals within the session have to be the same length, but any length will do. (oo er missus!). It is useful to repeat a session every 6 weeks or so, to check your progress.

As an aside - I'm so proud of you all - you've all faced real challenges and yet have carried on. You probably don't see how determined and channelled you are.