Options

Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• Options
    You'll be missed would be nice to have met
  • Options
    Mikasa - which on demand service was slateman on? Was it 4oD?
  • Options
    Gas - big maybe for TDF though. 50/50 will be at outlaw throwing water bottles or abuse or something!

I watched slate man on channel 4+1 v recently so it's gotta be on 4od!!!
  • Options

Whos at Outlaw Weekend List

Rafi - 1500m swim on Sat, Feed station Sunday. Camping Fri - Mon/Tues
    Cake - 1500m swim sat, the whole beast sunday
    Cake lovely better half Sarah or sarah the bookworm - 1500m swim sat, the bike feed station sunday.
    MovingAlong - Arriving Friday, Outlaw on Sunday.
    Razor-3k swim sat, feed station sun, camping sat night.
    Horse- arriving sat, Outlaw sun, camping sat night.
    The Rock Steady Crew - SteadyCJ and SteadySteve arriving Saturday and  camping Sat and Sun night.
    Gastank - Run as part of a team
    The Jesters - Tom: Swim, Frodo: Bike, Chilibean:Run

Do I have to book in for the a swim for the Saturday? Or can I just turn up? I quite fancy having a go. Is it lots of money?

My whole family are coming (Hubby and 4 very bouncy girls) and we are camping Fri - Mon.

Can't wait to meet you all image

(MC, is there any chance of your sneaking over? what age are your kids?)

• Options

Will be thinking about all you outlawers while I'm in my seal suit waiting to paddle at tri windermere.

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

gastank - yes 4oD

Think I made the right decision yesterday by doing nothing, feel so much better today!! image

road bike purchase needs to wait now for obvious reasons but as I don't have a bike at all now, BF is kind of re-building a Charge for me. His dad had a bike accident but he only needed bits to make it work so he bought small frame Charge which now doesn't have wheels and some other bits. He's sending it to us this weekend so soon I can cycle again, and have my own Charge, always loved BFs but it's too big for me. image

• Options

mikasa - i am really glad you made the right choice and are feeling better today image

gastank - slateman looked brutal!!!

• Options

Garmin HRM/Connect Question

Help Please!!! image

I did the bonkers local hill on Freddie this morning (first time ever). Its my running (ahem, jogging) hill reps hill, but i have never done it on a bike before. Was supposed to go up it twice but i needed to get back and get ready for work (and my legs were going to fall off). Its 825 feet elevation in a mile, and at some points its 25% gradient. I can honestly say i have never gone up something so steep that i felt i had to lean right forwards over the handle bars, so i pull the bike over backwards.

anyway, my garmin says i burnt 648 cals during the session (i did other stuff, not just the hill). Is this worked out from the HRM? I have never entered height/weight into my garmin connect account?

Apologies if this is a really obvious question!!!

• Options

I think its worked out from calculated energy used based on a default factory setting of weight - I know mine (Garmkin 405) was set at 70kg I think, which I had to change.

• Options

raf - just changed my weight on it, lets see what happens! image

• Options

A possible geek point image do you not need to change the weight for running and cycling/type of cycling? i.e because you did a hill ride you should enter your weight plus the weight of freddie because you were dragging both uphill against gravity.  On a flat ride you should actually put in less than your weight because you are not actually 'self supporting' and running should be your actually weight?

• Options

EcoSeal - that is a very geeky point image but I like it!!

On my Garmin, you can change the overall setting from Run to Cycle, but i've never had to input the weight of the bike image or even what gear ratios I'm using (I can beat you on the geek frontimage).

But somehow I doubt the Garmin is that accurate on calorific burn rate - I'n not sure its that accurate on speed!!!

• Options

ecoseal image i love it!!! geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek imageimageimage It was truly dragging myself and Freddie up the hill... Never felt so close to blacking out on the two uber steep bits image Buzzing my bits off in the office now though image

• Options

*off to change all my activities in GC to exactly what i did. ATM they are all set as running. Lazy.

• Options

image Is your Garmin compatible with a cadence thingy? I believe wattage to calorific load is more accurate than the weight/time conversion.

imagegeek out!

Edit: X-post with Oii -> whats GC? I don't have any techie bits of kit, after my decathlon HRM told me I was dead it went in the bin.

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

I would guess Garmin Connect??

I'd love to have a garmin but might go for Polar instead...

• Options

I'm guessing Garmin Connect too.

I'm tempted by a 310 or 910, but just too much to spend. I've got a 405 for running, but the battery life isn't good enough for cycling. My mrs has a 305 which I now pinch for cycling - its excellent for the route mapping as well. As soon as either of them die, I'm out for a 310 or 910!

Bike bits turned up yesterday. Noticeable difference in length of bike just riding up and down the road. Cycling home from work tonight which will be a good test...

Pool swim this morning. Mainly a technique based session, but don't feel like I made much progress. Definitely need to slow my stroke down and ensure I make the most of the catch...

• Options

50 points for the correct guesses!!!

i am V V V V tempted by a 910xt!!! (still waiting to win euromills!!!) My 405 is awesome and am totally in love with it, but, as MA said, the battery life is pretty pants for long bike rides!!!

ecoseal - the 405 is compatible with a cadence sensor, am selling stuff on ebay to fund the cadence sensor purchase!!!

• Options

image Learn something new everyday! 

I'm hoping to unwrap a poolmate and a polar FT1 the weekend after next, when I told mum I wanted a HRM for my birthday she thought she'd be having to raid the local hospital!  

I hope you sell your stuff on ebay, reduced price on amazon atm. . . . . .

• Options

wow its £15 off! worth the splurge!!!

i hope you get to unwrap your poolmate and FT1!!!

• Options

"as MA said, the battery life is pretty pants for long bike rides!!!"

cycle quicker - job done!! image

• Options

*apologises to the bank balance of Oii*

Raf - Thats a good points image

• Options

image Garmin geek talk. image

Chilibean wrote (see)

Whos at Outlaw Weekend List

Rafi - 1500m swim on Sat, Feed station Sunday. Camping Fri - Mon/Tues
    Cake - 1500m swim sat, the whole beast sunday
    Cake lovely better half Sarah or sarah the bookworm - 1500m swim sat, the bike feed station sunday.
    MovingAlong - Arriving Friday, Outlaw on Sunday.
    Razor-3k swim sat, feed station sun, camping sat night.
    Horse- arriving sat, Outlaw sun, camping sat night.
    The Rock Steady Crew - SteadyCJ and SteadySteve arriving Saturday and  camping Sat and Sun night.
    Gastank - Run as part of a team
    The Jesters - Tom: Swim, Frodo: Bike, Chilibean:Run

Do I have to book in for the a swim for the Saturday? Or can I just turn up? I quite fancy having a go. Is it lots of money?

My whole family are coming (Hubby and 4 very bouncy girls) and we are camping Fri - Mon.

Can't wait to meet you all image

(MC, is there any chance of your sneaking over? what age are your kids?)

Chilli I believe you need to sort out the entry before hand on the interwet but not sure. Oh and don't know if you remember but I said ages ago that would bring some kids stuff if I was able to in case your young'un's got bored. I'll pack face paint's and whatever else I have handy. Happy to say I'll be to busy on the day to use them as I'm rubbish at painting faces but if Tom and Frodo can't help with that then they lose there cool status in my eye's. image

If you want I can bring clown cricket to. If you didn't experience that in Nottingham last year it's just normal cricket but with water bomb's and top fun if you can get the right people to muck about.

• Options

Ah Cake, you are a treasure. Thanks very much. I know there will be other pirate families there and my girls are exceptionally good at making friends with everyone so I'm hoping they will find a 'den' somewhere and be happy. But I'm sure face paints, clown cricket and whatever will go down very well image

Wonder if we could organise a bit of sun too image

• Options

Will go and find out about the swim....

• Options

Cake - I hope you're going to bring enough face paints for everyone image

• Options
    RafikiD wrote (see)

Cake - I hope you're going to bring enough face paints for everyone image

image mmmuuuuaaaaarrrrr I don't think you know who you are dealing with. Afraid I don't have much yellow through. might buy some this week.

• Options

Clown cricket is brilliant!!!

• Options

image That's Tom in. image