Options

Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• Options

Heyy all, Can I join in on here? 

Rafiki wrote (see)
    five and half hours on the TT for me - thats far too much vit D!!

Ouch... Good job! That sort of time on the bike seems a long way off for me! 

Went for a 3mile run on sat, I was planning on a bit onger but my shins were a bit sore so thought I'd back off that a bit.

I've just been told by my physio that I can swim, so did 500 m on fri and another 500m early yesterday morning after a 20mile bike ride. I felt quite smug at getting home at 9am after a bike ride and a swim - I think I could get used to this early morning exercise!

I think I'll be joining my local master sessions as my swim needs a bit of work - mainly my breathing :S

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Hey Ginger, welcome on board! Good day's work there!

2.8miles run at lunch. Legs felt bit tired after yesterday's run, not sure I'm ready to do consecutive days yet.

I'm not going swimming at all atm, can't be asked to do bs anymore and haven't sorted out lessons for fc.

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Welcome Ginger, what tri are you training for?

It appears I may have been spotted wearing my pirate jacket whilst cycling.

• Options

Sounds good Steady!

And all that biking from Cat and Rafiki image

Welcome Ginger. Great to have you join us.

No training today cos I've been doing holiday funday stuff with the girlies. But my hubby has been out on his bike doing hills so his mojo is obviously back and perhaps we will make it to Cambridge after all.

• Options
    Hi Steady and Chilibean!

I'm planning on doing the Tunbridge Wells sprint in August as its a pool based one..... I need to get over my thing about open water before I'm brave enlighten for one of those sort!

Sounds like you had a good day Chilibean image

I was planning on having a rest day today but I've been a bit piggy today and eaten too much.... Guilt has set in so I'm off for a run to make myself feel better!
  • Options

Rock on Rafiki!  I am afraid the couch won yesterday - I however didn't put up too much of a fight though.  I took the long way home 9 miles instead of four - was a good plan except most of it was uphill into a headwind image good for the legs!  Does anyone else get up at silly o'clock and go running?  How do you find it? I'm wondering if running in the morning wouldnt be better than afterwork, in terms of amount of energy I have.  

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

I need to get up 6am to get to work and there's no chance in hell me getting up any earlier for exercise beforehand!

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Suckitupbuttercup, I have occaisonally done an early run, its OK but makes it feel like ages before lunch. I am better at getting up early for a swim, the other year I was quite happy to get up at 5am to get out for an OW swim before work. I agree with Mikasa though its bad enough getting up at 5.45am anyway.

GingerG there is nothing wrong with starting with a pool based tri, in fact my first race this year is a pool one. Once you get used to OW swim, a pool seems horrible in the summer.

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Maybe I need to learn fc in ow first. I have no hang-ups of ow so could be doable, what do peeps think?

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Go for it Mikasa, learn fc first, it is so much easier to do fc in a wetsuit than breast stroke.
    I was unsure and a bit terrified of OW but some mornings it can be quite a magical experience. Imagine the sun rising, very slight mist coming up off the tranquil water, quiet and peaceful, just the sounds of nature and a few other swimmers. Other scenarios do occur but thats the best one.

• Options

suckitup - I have to be in the shower for 6am and get up at 4:30 ish to run/turbo/whatever. In terms of running it is great - just up and out and enjoying the peace of the early morning. Took me a few weeks to get into it, but I am so grumpy if I don't do it now. There are a few of us over on the 'who gets up at stupid o'clock' thread so pop in and say hi

mikasa - breast stroke in a wetsuit is really awkward, you can't really move your arms the right way and it made my back hurt, front crawl much easier, and the wetsuit helps you keep your feet and legs in the right position

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

I'm not going to do breast stroke in a wetsuit. I don't know where this misconception has come from. I was just wondering if I could learn crawl in open water rather than going to the pool. Probably not easy to coach in ow though so maybe I just need to go and learn it in the pool. I was just saying I haven't been swimming for ages cos I haven't sorted lessons out in fc and I can't be asked to do breast stroke anymore. But I have no problem re: ow as so many British people seem to have. Anyway, just been putting it off as don't know where to get a good coach.

Maths - no way could you get me up at 4:30am to do exercise before work regularly. If it was one of holiday thing were you had to get up that early to get most out of the day, I'd be ok, but not enough of a morning person to make that a regular part of my life.

• Options

mikasa - I would learn the basics in the pool now, then go and practise in ow when things have warmed up a bit

3k swim for me today while the kids were playng in the leisure pool - wet days on holiday are a good opportunity for a swimimage

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Yes, I think you're right Maths. I need to get my arse in gear!

• Options

Run tonight was so much better than last week!  I am going to give the getting up early to run a go on Thursday.  

Mathschick: 3km - good stuff! I think I have to do another long session on Saturday.

I may have persuaded husband that the speedy beaver is a really good idea for me to do image I mean he could do much worse than enjoying Belvoir Castle on a Sunny day, beer in hand!  Anyone else done any of the Beaver triathlons? 

• Options

I have heard they are good and well organised. I wanted to do them this year but they clash with other things I have on. 

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Another lunch time run. Have taken Friday off and hoping to run bit further, about 4miles I think. Slowly building it up.

• Options

Off to the pool to scare the old ladies with my shiney white legs! I am reading 'The Iron War' at the moment - anyone else read it?  I liked the bit about the research that had been done into the harden up area of the brain - kinda cool image  Will try for 2km tonight.

• Options
    Yep I've read it, the details at the end for the race are awesome.... It does get quite sciencey in parts but very good none the less!
  • Options

Hey peeps, need a bit of help/advice. I'm really struggling at the moment. So tired all the time. I'm a nurse which means I do rotational shifts. earlies, lates and nights. Recently with no real breaks and no time really to eat or drink anything. I'm taking my pirate bottles to work to encourage me to drink. The problem is I'm so tired all the time that I'm blowing off training. This makes me grumpy and irritated with myself. I always feel better once I've been out but its often getting myself there. Anyone got some ideas on how to motivate, eat and train.

• Options

MrsD - I guess the main problem is tiredness, which is exacerbated by the lack of food and drink? So try to make sure you eat something and drink during your shifts. Even if you just have 5 minutes at work you can wolf down something healthy - and I think the key here is having healthy food on you that can be eaten quickly, that way you won't just feel podged and crappy from eating rubbish. 

Fitting training in can be hard round shift work - maybe a quick 20 min run before starting a shift? With longer sessions planned around days off/shifts that aren't the horrible tiring night shifts?

• Options

Maths, I think thats probably a big part of the problem... whacking down biscuits as a sugar fix to keep going. It does in the long run make me feel worse! I'm trying to do longer bikes and runs on days off. I'm wondering whether trying to get a more consistent sleep pattern would help aswell. Have requested not to have nights now until after the tri in May. Wish I could be like certain hardcore parties getting up at 4.30 to train!

• Options
    MrsD - I can directly relate too your situation, my previous job which I did for 3 years was as a breakdown recovery driver, I would often do 12-15 hour days I found it best too just ram in as much training as possible in the morning (pre shift so whenever that is) and always have a day off on my current rotation usually first day back on, I worked 6 on 3 off, and on your days off get a crap load of training in.... On food front I would always have a nature valley bar in my pocket, a apple as well.. Sometimes nuts, and in my bag it looked like I had robbed a tescos lol.... It's bloody hard but I managed to do a lot of races last year including a ironman while doing this training.... Best of luck
  • Options

maybe dried fruit like dates would be better than biscuits? I like the nakd bars, but they are expensive and dates and a few nuts would be better. A consistent sleep pattern would help a lot. I can get up at 4:30 because I have got used to it, and tend to get to bed about 10pm, around 6 hours sleep during the week seems to be ok - well I normallly snoooze on the sofa before bed so I probably get a bit more!

• Options

Thankyou guys, the general gist is be more prepared and organised. Also, MTFU! Have to be up at 6 for early shifts so will try to get up then to train when on late shifts. Keeps sleep pattern up together and get the training in with time to recover before work. Will start to prepare food options at beginning of week also. They do say if you can keep it up for 2 weeks it becomes a habit...!

• Options

Mrs Digger - total 0% fat greek yoghurt & some frozen berries is a good snack - the protein will keep you feeling fuller for longer - good if you're time deficient.  Or you could try a protein shake which essentially does the same thing - PhD Isosynergy 7 tastes good with almond milk.  Can you bike to work?  That would help fit training in.  I like 9 bars too pumpkin the best - a little on the sweet side but good.  I love the nakd bars as well but making them is easy peasy if you are into diy.  

I only managed 1500 metres tonight - I got to the pool and the class had been cancelled and the pool barrier had been removed so it was 50m not 25m image Nevermind I put my big girl panties on and concentrated on my form and getting to the other end!  

• Options

Hi Mrs D

Although I haven't been in your position I do know what it is like to be far too busy to fit things in. Food wise I would go with the others suggestion of pre-planning. (But I'm bit of a control freak and like everything sorted up front)

Make a master shopping list of good healthy food. Make two sets of meal plans. The kind of meals you can make at home and the kind that you need to take with you. You need some starchy carbs but most of your diet should be veg/fruit and protein.

Yogurt, fruit, seeds with a spoonful of museli.
    pot of mixed nuts and dried apricots, dates, figs
    fresh fruit, carrot sticks, cucumber sticks, celery sticks
    Make up the basis of a salad the night/morning/afternoon before and then throw the rest of the ingredients in before you leave for work (tins of tuna/sardines work well here)
    when cooking a meal at home make an extra portion and stick it a pot in the freezer/fridge for you to take to work with you.

It does take a bit of thought and planning initially but with a master list you don't have to re-create it all each week. And you will feel considerably less stress at work when you know you are eating well.

In our house with my four girlies we have Saturday Sweetie day. I cook loads and we always have a excellent balance of healthy meals with homemade cakes and puddings. But hubby and decided to restrict the eating of sweets, chocolate and sugar (until our girls reach secondary school when we won't be able to enforce it any longer!) Some grown ups have a similar system where they restrict goodies to the weekend. So they don't feel totally deprived but do feel disciplined.

As for the training, Mu suggestion would again be like the others and try to do it when you first get up if you can.

Let us know how you get on image we will all be most fascinated to hear what works for you.

• Options

MrsD - what everyone else has said. You'll have to train pre-work, then put up with being tired all day. Buy a slow cooker and throw the stuff in it in the morning, then your food is ready in the evening.

Get a food flask and take porridge/soup to work.

Track sesion tonight taken easy.

• Options
    15 miles on the bike tonight with Horse, nice and easy 14.8 mph avg, not managed to swim yet this week, work got in the way yesterday and today I got to the pool only to find I'd forgotten my trunks (dickhead), :-[ will try again again tomorrow.