Options

Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

So when is the Outlaw half?

Will go for a gentle run today and see how back copes with it.

I'll have to let bf go off mountain biking in North Wales this coming b/h weekend with the boys as I'm too unfit. image Keeping fingers crossed weather will be ok so I can enjoy some beach volleyball.

• Options

The advice that I was given about tapering was to actually taper earlier rather than later (especially after longer distance training). Then to train as opten and actually with a similar intensity but MUCH shorted distances/reduced repeats.

So in taper for last Marathon I still did track training but rather than 12 reps a warm up, 2/3 reps or strides and cool down. Helps keep the taper twitches as bay!image

• Options
    mikasa wrote (see)

So when is the Outlaw half?

Will go for a gentle run today and see how back copes with it.

I'll have to let bf go off mountain biking in North Wales this coming b/h weekend with the boys as I'm too unfit. image Keeping fingers crossed weather will be ok so I can enjoy some beach volleyball.

I think MTB might not be best activity for a poorly back - hope you get better soon! x

• Options
    emsi wrote (see)

No one on here seems like a fraud to me, very concerned about the comparisons with childbirth as wasn't very brave at that either!

Took the plunge and hired a zone3 wetsuit as they seemed to do more flexible sizing. Well tried it on and top half of me looked like Lara croft and the bottom half like a pregnant sealion. Am assuming this is normal. Now just have to get up the courage to drive to Bristol to get it wet. Anyone know if there is a buddy system or anything as I am a bit worried about swimming alone the first time? 

Sorry about the childbirth comparrison! At least you get a medal or a T shirt after a race - you don't for child birth!

Where did you hire your Zone 3 wetsuit from? How much was it? How do the sizings compare to normal clothes? I could never look like Lara Croft - I look like a chubby boy in my tri suit!!!!

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

mikasa - outlaw half is on 2 June - so a week on Sundayimage

• Options

Mikasa, hope you are feeling better soon. Sorry you have to miss the weekend. image

24 miles on bike this morning. Mostly trails, which were beautiful but on my hybrid a bit bouncy and my bum is sore image

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Thanks ladies. image but it is my own fault getting so unfit.

However, went for a run at lunch even though my running mates abandoned me. Took it very slowly and did 3.9 miles and no complaints from the back. Yep, mtb probably not best for poorly back.

Chili - it's ok especially if weather's good at the weekend. I can be on the beach all day without feeling bad or having to worry if bf is getting any games.
    Well done on you ride as well.

Was thinking about doing a lil' bike ride myself when I get back home but might just go for a walk trying not to over-do things. It's such a beautiful day here so off home I am to enjoy the rest of it.

• Options

Just been cheering on my Big Girl in her first 'cross-country' district schools competition. 1 mile around the playing field and she came 3rd!!!!! imageimageimage

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

well done to your girl chiliimage

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Well done Big Chili Girl.

Emma you can't possibly look like a chubby boy in a wetsuit when I must weigh 2 stone more than you.

Back home from the capital, off for a plod in a minute.

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

Emma - I am also bigger than you so no way do you look like a chubby boy in a wetsuit. No idea what I look like I have no intention of looking at myself in a mirror while wearing my wetsuit!

OK, just got delivery of a bag thing to put gels in on the bike http://www.wiggle.co.uk/topeak-tri-bag-with-rain-cover/

it doesn't hold that many though - should I just squash them down? 

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

yes, squash them in, I have a similar one but not with a waterproof cover.

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

it was only a couple of extra quid for the one with the cover, and I thought if it is tipping it down I don't want to cycle round with a bag full of water!

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

I got mine a couple of years ago, they have obviously improved the item knowing what the English weather is like.

• Options

Inspired by all your half outlaw talk, I've decided to do the ming the merciless race up here on the 1st June.  It's a 14 mile run followed by a 30 mile cycle.  I'm not too worried about the cycle, but I usually only do 10K's  so it'll be double my usual run distance.  I find 10K's easy, should I be looking to do a couple of 10 milers next week to get in to the rhythm? 

There is also a ceilidh in the evening, but I won't be doing that.  I think a full ceilidh is equivalent to half marathon but with more twirling.

I'm getting excited/nervous for you all doing the half outlaw, it sounds like fun, if you can call it fun.

• Options

Hellooo peeps, will catch up on what's been going on tonight. Had a lovely week in Crete, foot healed whilst there. Back to the grind though. Oo, my OH says I look like the 'only gay in the village' in my wetsuit. i think pretty much anyone looks better than me. My Mother described me as a 'beached whale' whilst on holiday also. You gotta love it! 

• Options

wooohooo! 5k time trial club run tonight, knocked nearly 90 seconds off my PB 26.29 image shouldn't have gone to the gym this morning though, legs rather like jelly now.

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

My plod turned out to be 2.4 miles in 31 minutes and I needed to walk.image The angry smiley is 'cos I had gut issues, so got back home asap.

Mrs Digger my now husband called me a beached whale on our first holiday when I went surfing in Cornwall.

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

I'm the only one who calls me a beached whale..image

Little 3mile run at lunch time as tomorrow I'm going to get my hair cut and then going out. 

• Options

Hi everyone! I think I look like a chubby boy due to lack of lady attributes and a curvy behind! My boys like to wobbly my tummy and backside exclaiming with glee 'look at all that chump!'- charming! image

Races a hilly 10k on Sunday (think i said) 51:59 slow but a pb for that course.

Rest Monday, tues did 1hr 15 mins on a spin bike to try and recreate a bike ride, swam about 2500m on weds and track last night with 20x 200m @ between 47 and 50s. Got sore calves now and boys have an inset day so trying to entertain the troops in the rain! Might just all put out pack a macs on and brave it! 

Enjoy your taper everyone - so in awe of all outlawers!

Well done mikasa and MrsD for getting back to it from injury - such a tough thing to do.image

Gret run Eco!image

I totally sympathise about tummy issues Steady- I've had major problems in that department (even had exploratory procedures!!!!!!!) - I'm pretty much sponsored by Imodium nowadays and that doesn't always work!!!!image

Whats everyone's weekend plans then? 

• Options

speaking of wetsuits...lidl has a really cheap short wetsuit at the moment

http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/www_lidl_uk/hs.xsl/our-offers-2491.htm?action=showDetail&id=2473

Would this be good as a first wetsuit for open water swimming?

• Options

All packed for our half term holiday. But for the first time I am not looking forward to a camping... hope we don't drown or freeze.

Wishing everyone doing the Outlaw Half the very best. Have a wonderful time. Can't wait to read all about the day.

• Options

Well I have been slack over the last three days image we went to see Mark Knopfler in Cardiff - he is still rocking along - cracks me up I grew up listening to Dad listening to Dire Straits image 

Im going to find me some hills tomorrow on my long ride - possibly a long swim or a run on Sunday.  

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

chili - think it is warming up so have a great holiday

pete - that doesn't look like a swimming one, so don't bother. 

well, forecast is to be really cold overnight so I am not swimming in the lake tomorrow morning. There is somewhere that is open 10 - 12 on Sunday, so plan for sunday is early morning bike for a couple of hours, taking in Oxton hill, refuel and head to the lake for about 11 for a dip. Need to sort out getting the wetsuit on properly so I can swim without feeling shattered after 10 strokes as that will not get me round the outlaw half swim!

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Pete, do not buy it, MC is quite correct its not designed for swimming, more surfing only. Hire one to start with, that's what I did and bought it at the end of the season once I knew it was the right size and shape for me.

Chili, good luck, pack your thermals and the sun will come out. I am hoping it will be a bit warmer next weekend or I might be trying to sleep on the floor at MC's pad.

MC I am also not swimming in the lake in the morning. Jealous that you are trying Oxton again, but have been informed that I will blink and miss the steep part.

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

steady - hopefully it will be warmer but if not we could clear a bit of space on the floor for you I am sure. You would have to put up with my annoying children though, although we would get our own back when we get up early on Sunday morning!

• Options

Emmac sorry for delay in getting back to you, have been poorly, why do children bring home every virus known to man only to cycle them up and pass them on?

I got my wetsuit from zone 3 website direct, it did seem slightly more expensive than other sites, but female specific sizes and being able to order a size that didn't have an L at the start swung it for me. 

P.s. really good YouTube video on how to put on a wetsuit and check that it fits by the guy who set up zone 3

Have a good weekend 

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

emsi - how do you like your zone3 suit? which model did you get?

• Options

MC: I think your plan of not swimming in the lake tomorrow is a good one! It was cold enough out of it today!  Might have the thermals on the bike tomorrow if it doesn't warm up a bit image 

• Options

Mathschick have hired zone 3 advance I think, never having worn a wetsuit before I am not sure how good it is supposed to be! But it is very stretchy. Think the girlie sizing does help. Will report further when have got it wet.image