Options

Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

I am planning on now going to the pool early Friday morning, as I have not swum for over a week.

One person at work has asked for the name of the race so they can track my progress, eek a little bit more pressure to succeed.

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

steady - I know what you mean, someone from the masters swimming I go to is going to track me online and pop up on the bike course as she lives somewhere near the southern loop. She has done quite a few ironman races, so nothing to live up to there! She is lovely and very supportive

• Options

Well, have had no Internet for a while. Seems like the half Outlaw pressure/excitement is building though. So excited for you guys, you'll all be amazing! How do I track you guys then? On the Internet? Will be at work so will be nice to know how it's going.

Mikasa - I'm gonna have group lessons. Can't afford 1-2-1. Been trying to get there for ages but shifts get in the way. 

Did a gym and swim session. Off to swim shortly. Legs are a bit achy after the gym. The plan I'm using is very basic but keeps me focused.

• Options

Amateur endurance: Half Ironman 16wks.

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

MrsDigger - are you a beginner fc'er as well?

• Options

I can swim front crawl but not very effectively. There's some improver classes locally so gonna give that a go. Can you not swim front crawl at all Mikasa? 

• Options

Good luck for the weekend all! 

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

MrsD - lost track of what you have entered - have you entered the Wild Boar? You can track us online on the outlaw website I think. I'll PM you my number, I seem to have a weird stalker still on the forums so I don't want to put my number up on here

• Options

image I still can't swim front crawl. Maths you alright with the weord stalker thing?

Afriad sarah has to do stuff saturday so won't be camping and will see you guys and girls in the bike course sunday. Going to peddle down and will be easy to spot just look for the sh*te bike.

In case I don't get the chance after today all of you good luck!!!!!!!!!image

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

No, I can't swim front crawl properly no, I've never been taught.
    I was getting better when I practised it a bit with help from bf but I'm sure my techinique is awful.  First I kicked like crazy, then realised you didn't need to. Then breathing problems etc. Really just need some instruction what to do/what not to do etc.

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

cake - don't really know what to make of it, can't understand why he has picked me out of all the people on the forum! I just hope it isn't someone I actually know in real life as that would make me feel unsafe I think.

mikasa - look, cake has done ironman and stuff without fc, and I think on the lanza reports they were talking about people doing it breasstroke.  Anyway, have you got a tri club near you that does sessions for beginners? Or do they have adult lessons at your local council pool? The breathing is ok once you get the hang of it, although I think my head probably comes too far out of the water, but it helps if there is someone telling you what to do

• Options
    Hallam BlueHallam Blue ✭✭✭

Mikasa: I fully recommend "Total Immersion". Even reading the book converted me to a FC swimmer. Probably need to get soime coaching, but this is a good start.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Total-Immersion-Revolutionary-Better-Faster/dp/0743253434/ref=sr_1_1_bnp_1_pap?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1369926899&sr=1-1&keywords=total+immersion

• Options

Maths might be a misunderstanding or might be a nutter if in doult ignore all messages and leave well alone. Some of the folks I know off here never meet still in real life but had wedding invites of them in the past and stuff. Only shame was wasn't able to go.image

I can confirm it's possible to do anything and still not be able to crawl it is however a lot better to learn it. image

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

cake - yeah, I am just ignoring it. Just a nutter I think as the only messages he has ever posted have been directed at me. 

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Thanks for all the help. I do have the T.I book and I totally agree that just reading it helps a lot. I think I would've progressed on my own as well but I do like someone telling me what I'm doing wrong. I will ask at the local leisure centre pool if they do lessons as the local tri club doesn't for total beginners. Just don't want to get bad habits. I just need to JFDI which is mostly my problem...

GOOD LUCK to all half Outlawers!!! I'm at a tournament all weekend so can't virtual stalk you but I'll keep my fingers crossed for all of you.

• Options

Is anyone thinking of doing the Southport Triathlon.  Several times a day, I'm flipping between "I've no fcking chance of getting ready for it", and "oh bollocks, might as well, even if I finish last".

Still need to get a bike - only got a MTB.  I can run the 5k no probs.  I still can't swim the distance.  Managed 500m in the pool a month ago but a forces sabbatical of 2 weeks has set me back to 400m today.

I just want to get the first one out of the way to get over the big mental hurdle, but I really am not prepared.

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Welcome PaddyP, I am down south so not doing Southport, I say just do it.
    It does not matter if you are last on your first one, you can only improve on that. I always look at the bottom of the results pages and work upwards to find my name very quickly.

I did my first one on a second hand hybrid bike with only 3 gears working and had only swum the distance once. I am doing Outlaw half and this year have not swum more than 1200m open water, cycled a max of 48 miles in one go, and the running is more run/walk nowhere near the distance, so I if I can give it a go, so can you.

• Options

image love this thread so supportive!

Go for it PaddyP - dont make obstacles where there are none - ride your MTB, you will enjoy yourself and as someone else said somewhere around here - it's a slippery slope to IM image

• Options

Did I say it's only 2.5 weeks away.

You've made me swing to the "oh bollocks, might as well" again....image

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

PaddyP, my race is Sunday, so you have time to do some more sensible training.

• Options

Cake - Maths crazy troll has taken us all aback at times. Think we've all taken to ignoring. He pops up on any thread though. 

Maths - entered so far

*Bath Tri weekend thing. The Sat of Outlaw so off to Notts after.

Cotswold Lake Logic Standard on my birthday in August.

Then, will enter Wild Boar when can afford. Training for this one with some events on the way!

paddy - that's oodles of time... Adrenaline will get you through!

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

paddy - go for it, my training is a little like Steady's and I also and pretty near the bottom of any results list, who cares? You will get loads of support from random strangers during the tri, you are bound to enjoy it and then you will have caught the bug and will be ready to book more!

• Options

Thanks SteadyCJ - best of luck on Sunday too. 

Thanks also everyone else.  I finally bought my wetsuit last night after reading your replies.  That's it...committed now, even if I am last.

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

well, if you have a wetsuit Paddy then you need to do Southport - looks like a nice one with closed roads for the bike leg

• Options

Freaking stunning day in the shire today!! Fingers crossed for Sunday!! Great day out on the bike methinks!

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

just had a very productive hour fixing the punctures on my OH and one of the kid's bikes. Was trying to teach eldest son how to do it, but he wasn't very interested. He did kind of lend a hand though. So, hope that hasn't tempted fate for Sundayimage, but I do actuallly know how to swap an inner tube over, haven't got gas cannisters though, could be there for a long time with a pump....

next thing is to figure out how to sort out the disc brakes on OH's mountain bike as they seem to be rubbing front and back

buttercup - truly is a lovely day hereimage Sat and Sun forecast to be pretty much the same and hardly and wind on Sunday which has got to be good

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

OMG, think I am faffing for England down in Surrey.

After speaking with wise neighbour who cycles loads, her advise was to wear whatever shorts you have done your longest ride in that were comfortable. She is going to be putting a towel around her and changing into cycle shorts. I am packing both tri shorts and the winter tights that I wore on my longest ride, as I don't think there is much difference between the 2 pairs and will decide on Saturday evening.

Just need to get my swim towel dry overnight and remember to pack that as well.

• Options

Taking the plunge and joining the local tri club tomorrow. Mad? Might just be....

• Options

Bit of commitment goes a long way Paddy! 

Good plunge Steve...

good luck to all this weekend - I will be watching! Soooo exciting!

• Options

Scary thought. Not swum since school in 1985, and I'm contemplating a tri!