Options

Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Yes ladies, where are the race reports???

Afternoon sunshine cured my CBA and went for my planned bike ride. Decided to take it just easy and did 45mins on a pretty flat route. 

Osteopath has suggested still no running and now no breast stroke either until leg gets better. Swim tomorrow might be interesting...image

Now it's thunder and lightning! image

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

mikasa - good incentive to learn front crawl

or breast stroke arms only - that is a very good workout!!image

• Options

LMH it's coming!  

The official photos are here: https://www.marathon-photos.com/scripts/home.py there are some of you on Facebook too image 

I had a wee bike ride home from the station today - my body continues to surprise me and is recovering faster than it did when I did the WB - I think the massage and foam roller helped!

• Options

Outlaw Half 2014

The previous 6 weeks prep prior to the half had been unjoyously full of the stress of moving house, having the physio do his darnedest to get my leg/groin in fighting form and having a cold in the last week and a half, I wasn’t entirely sure how I was going to go on the day but decided that I had paid the fee and I had to man up as INAFKC!   I have to say it was a hard day at the office but one I enjoyed and will do again next year! 

I made hubby set the alarm for 3.30am so I could have time to scoff my porridge, blueberries and bananas and generally phaff getting ready.  We were out of the door by 4.30 and heading towards HPP.  Husband had already had a cup of coffee with a further two in a thermos he was awake enough to drive and ensure the car was packed properly!  And for once everything I needed to compete was in the car.  It was a bit of a misty morning as we arrived and unpacked the car setting up in transition the Piratey peeps began to dribble in, Lee the Pea, Steady CJ, Ironbaws, IGIT, Saffers, LMH, The Banksey, Drew, Mrs Blue Peter, Krista and Little Clown.

Swim: (57.11)

The lady Pirates were to start in wave 4 so we got to watch the 3 other waves head off.  Unfortunately it also meant that the bottom of the lake was stirred up and the water was minging.  It absolutely stunk and tasted bad as well yay goose poo!  The water was also freezing can’t have been more than about 14 degrees, we were all shivering a bit by we started.  I was wearing new goggles that I had got to counteract the blazing sunlight – unfortunately in an act of Piratey numptyness I hadn’t worn them before and they leaked a bit!  I didn’t worry too much a bit of water wasn’t going to hurt me – I started in bay 2 behind the speedy peeps but it was also the straightest line so I was happy with that.  

I felt a bit off and thought it was the cold of the water affecting my breathing, but thought just HTFU and keep on going.  I figured I wasn’t last as I could see people to my left behind me, it took a long time to get to the orange buoy but my sighting was going okay.  When I turned for home I noticed another lady swimming near me but didn’t pay much attention other than to see she was zigzagging all over the place.  Unfortunately for some reason she wanted to swim next to me and frequently swim in front of me at right angles so it kinda put me off a bit.  Eventually I got to the end – didn’t slip on the concrete ramp (thought it was a win there).  57 mins – around 9 mins slower than I anticipated but I had no idea of my swim time as the garmin start button had not started!

• Options

T1

I jogged to my bike, degloved, put all the appropriate bits on and headed out.  I left a few people behind and jumped on the bike.  4 ish mins. 

Bike: (3:46:06)

I headed out and caught a few peeps heading out around the lake and heading towards Radcliffe on Trent.   I was still feeling slightly off but put my head down and focused on making up time and places that I had lost in the swim.  Up to Oxton Bank I was doing okay – by the by Oxton Bank not a bad hill – the one in the Bever is way more grotty.  

One pee stop and a bottle change I was on my way again only to find I had left my legs behind at the feed station – they just weren’t listening image I found the rest of the course very hard work – not due to the course itself more the cold I had had thought had go away had drained my batteries more than I thought it had.  I continued to feel nauseous to the point where I couldn’t face eating my gels or nakd bars out of my bento box.  I made myself drink my calories as I was very focused on getting to the run.  After about 70km I started to feel a bit better (later I realized it was due to a significantly slower second half of the bike) and managed to pass some people who had passed me earlier.  I made it back to HPP without any injuries or mechanicals which I was very happy about and the arrrghhhs and go Pirate were gratefully taken on board.  And I made the cut off which I had begun to be worried about!

T2:

I realized I hadn’t had the ride that I wanted or expected to have but decided to section it away to think about until after the race, as there wasn’t anything to be got out of flagellating myself whilst running around the course!  I stashed my bike and got the trainers and Pirate visor on – I made the decision to leave my gels (which I had put in a bottle) in transition as they were very warm and I couldn’t see myself stomaching them at that point. 

• Options

Run: (2:59:49)

I headed out of transition and past the lady with the bowl of sunscreen – which I wish had grabbed some on the first lap!  I was worried about how my leg/groin would hold up and decided to run to how I was feeling rather than getting too worried about the Garmin.  It was very warm by the time I got to the run and everybody was feeling it!  I had wanted to run the whole HM but made a decision to run between the aid stations and walk through the stations whilst refueling and watering myself – best decision ever! 

I was running between 7 and 8ish mins per km which is slow but it got me to the end.  I loved seeing the supporting Pirates and the jellybabies!  Every time I came past I knew exactly when they had seen me image there were a few booming Pirates! image Loved it and there was lots of support from fellow runners who looked as tired as me!  The towpath part of the run was good – bit of shade, lots of support then heading out past the Scoreboard towards the end of the lake it was night and day – very few peeps down that way and the path seemed neverending – was quite demoralizing and I know where I will be standing to support Mrs D come Outlaw day! 

The second lap was hard and my left adductor started to say hello around the 18th km but it wasn’t enough to make me want to stop. Score one for Hot Physio! It was that long stretch until the last aid station that got me on the second lap and I admit to run walking that bit!  I wasn’t the only one image I could see a guy in a green tri suit walking so I made him my focus and hunted him down in true ironman shuffle style.   I eventually caught up to him and passed him about 200 metres from the finish.  The finish line never looked so good!  All the lovely pirates yelling and clapping and hubby filming it image I posed for the first photographer I saw and completely missed the second and crossed the finish line and took a wee breather.  I collected my medal, tshirt and grabbed a drink from Little Sis and headed for the food tent.  I tried eating the meal but I couldn’t stomach that or the icecream hubby got me – my stomach didn’t settle down until after we had got home, I had a shower and was sat on the couch image even then it was a small meal of chips, sausage and a banana.

Overall: (Final time of 7:51:33)

I loved the atmosphere, the weather turned up and the supporters were just freaking awesome.  I liked the course even if my body didn’t come to the party!  I would be happy to do it again and go faster!  I bettered my Wild Boar HIM time by 21 mins (and the bike ride was 10k longer!).  It wasn’t the time I could see myself achieving and had hoped I would get, but you can only do what you can do on the day.  Onwards and upwards Pirates!

• Options

Thanks for the photo link BC. Great report and well battled. You have loads of time before WB and will smash that time! The bike course definitely meant that your average speed dropped after the 38 mile feed station, it wasn't you.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Brilliant report ButterCup and awesome riding in my books! image

Sounds like really hard work though, not sure what I've gotten myself into. Not that I've entered WB yet...

• Options

mikasa - it's just one arm, pedal then foot in front of the other until you reach the finish! Consistent training will get you there.

I'm not on FB BC but can't see the photo's looking from Mark's log in - do you have to search for them or something (technical numpty - can you tell?).

• Options

Does Mark belong to the PSOF group or the Outlaw Group on FB?  Get him to join the PSOF one as Drew and Lee the Pea have put some up on there.  If not get him to friend me and they are on mine image

• Options

Great report buttercup. Think i might sign up to this next year. may e plan this as my first HIM As i dont think my knee will be sorted anytime soon. 

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

great report buttercup image

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Great report Buttercup, not started mine yet, life is trying to get in the way again.

• Options

Thanks BC image

• Options

LMH - messaged you. image

• Options

brilliant report buttercup, sounds like the cold swim made for a hard day, but you got through it.

• Options

Buttercup - I loved the report, really well done, so pleased for both you and Steady.

• Options
    AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭

Well done BC great report. This is where I realise swimming with a nose clip has many advantages as I didn't notice any bad smells in the lake image couldn't miss the weeds though!

• Options

Brilliant report. image

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

45min bike done in sunshine. Reading Swim Smooth from cover to cover before going to the pool, might be tomorrow...

• Options

Liverpool Rock N roll marathon

image First off apologies for the delayed race report’s been far too lazy. Liverpool was an odd one for me because know some of the people from run Liverpool quite well and consider some of them good friends as well as very nice folks. So didn’t really want to do this race to be honest after rock and roll took the marathon from under run Liverpool. But Bookie really fancied a medal so what the heck I thought. 

Pre race
    Got to a hotel in Warrington nice and early and had a picnic on the hotel floor with Bookie. Set out race kit and had a good night’s kip. Got up early stuck some AC DC on the CD player while Sarah drove (trying to broaden her music) and off we went. About a mile from the start line was total grid lock. After about 15 minutes of panicking parked the car where we could and legged it to the start so Sarah could do the half. Ran past a pirate on the way said hello and good bye while doing the 4 minute mile.  Sarah made it with about 30 seconds to spare so took she bag and stuff off her gave her a kiss and watched them all run past me. Had an hour before the marathon start and needed it because finding the right entrance to the bag drop off was like the crystal maze. Dropped bags off after 40 minutes of trying and got back to the start for the marathon. 

First few miles
    Can’t remember what time I’d put on the form but was in a pen with a few runners who were quite slow so wasn’t the quickest start. After about the first mile decided to ramp it up a bit. Past Matthew street with the cavern club and a bonus of having to leap over a very dead cat in the middle of the road (hopefully died before the race). Could see the 5 hour pacer about 400 metre’s ahead and decided to set that as my benchmark. After about another mile the gap between me and pace had decreased to about a quarter of the distance and realised there was something funny going on here as recognised that gob. By mile 3 was level and able to say hello to the pacer who was Sioux a lovely lass known for years from here and fetch and then the party started.

Miles 4 to 10
    Kept own pace and kept leap frogging Sioux and a few of her mates chatting about football, beer, races, kids, mutual friends and generally having a laugh and being silly. Went past the Everton ground and them Liverpool all stopped for the plague for the 96 and on we went. For the none football fan’s the two grounds are very close to each other and separated by a park. Have to admit it’s the first time been through it without a few drinks first and never realised how beautiful it is. Heading back got a stunning view of the city on the way back down into the city centre. Never thought if Liverpool as anything other than a ugly city so was surprising as well as lovely.

• Options

Miles 11 to 20
    Problem at one of the junctions on the ring road and a copper had had to stand in the road to stop people running into oncoming traffic. Through Chinatown and up to the other side of the course. Nothing to report other than didn’t realise Liverpool had a Chinatown. It was the best support of the whole race there and everyone had come out with red flags and smiles. Up onto the same route as Liverpool half after that with some slight changes. Still with the Sioux party bus. And into the parks at mile 13 had a problem with my left calf and had to drop back losing Sioux and had to walk about half a mile to get my leg to behave. Them it was just a case of holding on and trying not to swear in front of kids. Got chatting to the 5.15 pacer when they passed and ran with them for a few miles. Met them before and got overtaken by a chuffing panda!image The bloke in the panda also known from other races but not sure what his name is.

21 to finish
    Was a struggle and a bit of a pain as wanted to better my previous recent marathon times given problems last few years. Made it to the end without swearing to much but was very much run walk with a lot of walking. Got some good banter with folks but missed the farm playing at the end. Was nearly 20 minutes faster than Manchester the month before but still off the target time I’d set for improvement but happy going in the right direction. image

Nice little race still annoyed Liverpool council has taken the race off run Liverpool but generally a good course and despite a lot of problems with the baggage area a well ish run race. Only thing of note was the local’s didn’t really know it was happening so wasn’t the same level of support along the course I’d seen at other races in Liverpool.

• Options

Eyam half

Eyam’s one of the greatest and hardest half’s I know off and along with Buxton something I try to do every year when I can regardless of fitness level because they are some of the best miles around and the local’s always excel in opening up the villages on race day. If you like challenging hill’s well worth your time, I can’t rate this race highly enough. image 

Pre-race
    Being local decided to bike it there both because it’s a nice brick session and the only other option is to ask Sarah nicely for a lift. Bit harsh when you think about how much driving she’s having to do at the moment. Only problem being it was a very good friends Birthday the night before so we had a few shandy’s both at a BBQ and in the pub. Might have had a few to many. Woke up late and set off after making sure I wasn’t still drunk. Keep seeing someone running around where I live with a Mohican haircut and passed them a couple of miles from home. Gave then the nod to say hello. 

Hadn’t through previous years I’ve biked it to the start line had lived about 15 miles and two hill’s nearer and didn’t allow enough time to get there. Got to the baggage area (local Primary school) about 5 minutes before the start and very quickly got changed. Missed the start by a few minutes. 

Race
    Comedy start running to the start line stopping and then running the other way. Marshall pointed out wasn’t actually the start line ran back to where they pointed and then I was off. First mile through the village up one big hill and then up another. After about half a mile started to see the last runner’s and then using them as motivation picking them off one by one. Eyam is very hilly and was a fantastically hot day so afraid a few people dropped out in the first couple of miles. By mile three could see a lass in the distance and marked her as the one to catch up. For anyone who doesn’t know the area it’s basically one big mountain eroded into a series of hills over thousands of years and a valley in the middle so you can look out on to Nottinghamshire, Yorkshire, Derbyshire, Cheshire and Lancaster. On a good day and this was you can easy see for 10 to 20 miles. Really enjoyed myself popping up and down the hills. If anyone wants a decent hill ride as a training day out worth taking a look at the area as not many reason’s to drive up there unless it’s just to see the views or you’ve travelling to the glider club on the hillside. Probably the last time will be up there before I move to Birmingham for Sarah’s job so seeing Kinderscout and Stanage edge in the distance did give me a few tear’s if I’m being honest. image

After about 5 miles the lass I was targeting started to reel her in. Passed her just pass Abney and went past lane end farm somewhere done some work with down the years and shouted ay up Viv as lucky enough so see her working in one of the field’s. Carried on down and round into the edge of Haversage and then the fun began as there is beast of a hill starting at mile 9. Back up chatting to a couple of people as starting to get back into tail end of the race. Best moment being chatting to a bloke who was in agony with groan strain after his brother and mates all of who were runner’s had entered him on very little training and without warning him this wasn’t an average half marathon.  Both agreed when he finished he should kill his mates.

By 11 and a bit miles as at the top of the hill again and other than being fat and old was loving it. Skipping about like a puppy. Back into the village and back to the finish line.

• Options

Post-race

Met Sally from Sheffield tri club just after finishing had a chin wag and picked up this year’s t-shirt which is always a badge of honour. Walked back to the school to pick up bike just in time to see the guy with the groan strain just finish as the last runner. He did fantastic given the situation just wish I’d been a fly on the wall when some conversations happened after the race. Was just about to set off to meet Sarah in Haversage pool when saw the bloke again keep seeing with the Mohican haircut once I’d got over the shock Asked him his story and discovered he had decided to run over the tops of the peak’s to support the race probably about 20 miles beating me for time on a chuffing bike! Only reason he hadn’t entered as he had done a 16 mile fell race the day before and didn’t want to do back to back races as had Edinburgh marathon the week after. Some people are just nutter’s. image

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Great reports Cake!  Well done on the mara and the half. The half sounds like hard work with all the hills. Not for  me thanks. image

• Options

So lovely reading all the positivity and excitement. It is so inspiring! So proud of everyone who did events at the weekend. The reports are cracking.

Mikasa - seems quick to me by the way image

Took advantage of the lovely weather today and got a couple of hours on the bike. Can't believe how much quicker I am since the bike fit  image

• Options
    AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭

Great reports Cake and I haven't said thank you for the outlaw half hug yet, was much appreciated, I needed a little lift.

One of the things I love about doing sport is no matter how mad you are e.g. cycling to the start of a half marathon and back, someone else is madder, e.g. running to the start of a half marathon and back.

Loons the lot of us image

• Options

(((Cake))) Way to go fella, great reports - keep skipping like a puppy. image

• Options
    Pippi LSPippi LS ✭✭✭

Well done Cake! Hope the leg's recovered. I didn't do it as a bit of a protest over run Liverpool etc, but it did look to be a great atmosphere, so I was slightly sorry I hadnt run.

What do you mean, you had thought Liverpool was an 'ugly city'? The centre isn't! (my friends had never been before and were very impressed). And Chinatown is the oldest in Europe! You need educating ...

And great reports from the Outlaws too!

I had a relaxing break in Jersey! First visit. Very nice, rather staid, good food, nice scenery, excellent bus service! Last day of half-term today (but dissertation proposal submitted!)

I've had a morning swim, all FC. I think it's getting easier - though I still need a slight rest each length, I'm not as shattered as I was!