Options

Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• Options

image some kids are just shits MC - a small part of the reason I eventually gave up teaching.  Hopefully there will be something done about the child - although you dont have to deal with them for too much longer do you?

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

no, not much longer, and I hope the image in my head of my new school and them all being perfect Stepford children doesn't turn out to be too wrongimage actually, when I was chatting to some of the maths teachers that have only ever worked there, they did say they didn't think they would be able to cope in a comprehensive because of the behaviour management required so I think the image in my head isn't too far offimage I am having a visit to the school for an induction day in July, so that is one day less in current schoolimage sad that I am thinking of it like that, I used to be pretty happy here

anyway, haven't run or anything yet today but I will do something later to cheer me up

• Options

MC - sucks not to have the level of support you should have when this kind of thing happens. image     Really pleased for you that you've created a new opportunity for yourself.

I'm back in the pool again - it's been a really long time to be away. It's my first real go since I mashed my shoulder in January.  It's still not okay but with physio, ice and patience, I hope I can work on my front crawl again without making things worse.

• Options

MC that's rubbish hope everythings ok today.

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

MC - hope it gets sorted. And hopefully in the new school they're angels.

Today was all about getting back on the bike. So was going to do my flat route and just take it how I felt like. Ended up whizzing at average moving speed of 14.1mph and max speed of 21.3mph. It is pancake flat route but I'll take it! image I kept it easy and legs spinning so very happy, I think this training malarkey actually works. I will need to do more hill work though, there's no doubt about that but for today, it was about just riding.

• Options

Bike done now off to start nasty nights. See you on the flip side! 

• Options

30k done in the sun and headwind image felt good tho' image boooo nasty nights Mrs D!

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

EP - I would love to have 12s and 13s, but it is a lot of responsibility

have to admit I didn't go to work today. But then I ended up spending 4 hours in A&E with eldest son having an allergic reaction.....so crap day, didn't get chance to do the bike or run I wanted to, knackered now. Parents evening tomorrow so will be an extra long day and I will miss my evening swim image

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

EP - spend the summer doing all the work so you aren't trying to plan it out as you go during the year

• Options

I have got physio today for my knee so i thought id test it out with a gentle swim this morning. Only managed 200m before i felt my knee so i gave it up 

I knew i shouldnt of gone but i get so bored. Been over 3 weeks now with out training.

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

SP - there is always a way if you want it badly enough, but then, you do have to consider things realistically. When will you get to know whether you will be taking them?

You could build up the cycling much earlier in the year, then you are just 'ticking over' as it were. Anyway, there is time to make that decision

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

you can always join a relay team if the full looks unrealistic for youimage

I think Outlaw full entries are going to be September

• Options

Tough love alert. Pixie - you're setting yourself up to fail, at the Boar never mind the Outlaw. A new bike will not make you find the time to train. It's coming up for the middle of June so you have what 10 weeks to train for the Boar, from a base of what? It's not happening unless you start now, commit to it and stick to it, and it doesn't sound as though you're in a place where that's going to happen. Why not work on one thing at a time? Concentrate on your weight for now, when you have that sorted then find an event that you have time to train for (I know you can/will do some to help with your weight loss and when you have more time through the summer holidays and this will then give you a base). Enjoy that event and do well and then focus on the next, bigger challenge.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options

+1 what LMH said Pixie image 

• Options
    AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭

I failed at the pirate motto, I was a bit shit last night at the Aquathlon. I panicked at the start and it took a good 300 meters to sort myself out, decide not to quit and carry on. So I was last by 5 mins but I did it and I didn't quit. My race start swimming issues are getting worse not better the more times I do it. So only one option, do it more so will try to do all the other club aquathlons over the summer.
    Knee grumbled on the run but is OK today so hoping podiatrist/ biomechanics chap can sort me out a week tomorrow.

Pool swim this morning and although I tried very hard not to go I did and I enjoyed it so that id back as a routine Thursday morning thing.image

I'm my defence it was my first swim since outlaw and I am definitely still a bit tired. But crack on and do it my motto from now on.

• Options

Good for you AliBear - crack on with your bad self image

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

Ali - well done - having a panic and being last isn't the same as being shit!! You had the guts and determination to carry on and do it and that's what counts

• Options

Ali nice one there are many pirate moto's through one of which is it's not a knitting club. Don't be sh*t is relitive don't be sh*t for some is don't do less than 50 mph on a bike while for other's it get on and do it. basically I wound't worry if you where last or first at the aquathlon you didn't quit and you learnt stuff about yourself that you can take furward to the next one.

Is there anything you can pinpoint as to why you panicked at the start? Is there a issue do you think with just races and overthinking your performance or is it something else?

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

bristol - sorry, missed your post. Hope you get on ok with the physio. Do you swim front crawl? If so, you can swim with a pull buoy which would allow you to swim without aggravating your knee issue. Breast stroke will definitely aggravate knee problems though. 

• Options
    AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭

Cake I'd wound myself up before hand as I know the club fast boys usually turn out for these. I did get in early and have a little swimble first but that didn't help one little bit, I also made a conscious effort to try and go with the pack,  that failed within 2 meters and I think it's what set me off. For now it seems I  still need to give myself some space and work my way into the swim on my own terms. I did catch one person up in the swim though image

I'm the same with the swim and run I start off full of "I can't do this" if I stick it out for 10/15 mins I settle in and am happy. It's why I prefer the longer stuff.

I also wonder if it was a take down attempt by my body fearing I was going to do outlaw half distances again image

• Options

Ali are you at outlaw next month? If you want I can show you some breathing exercises that might help. nothing to do with tri, just stuff to keep calm know from other stuff. It's hippy stuff but but does work.

I prefer the longer stuff as well. Not got the speed but got the endurance.

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Popping in to see whats going on, everyone seems to have commented wisely to one and all.

I may end up having a weekend from hell. Swimming may get missed, the marshalling at the TT and ride following is looking dodgy and to finally finish it off, I will not be able to get to swim session on Tuesday morning as I have a big important meeting to attend in Nodnol. GGrrrrr.

But the good news is that I have been out on the hybrid both yesterday and tonight for a little ride.

Positive anything is better than negative nothing.

• Options

After a week's hols  followed by 4x 12 hour shifts no training for nearly 2 weeks been guilt ridden reading everybody's posts well done with the training everybody really enjoyed the race reports too finally got back on the horse with an OW swim at 3 sisters last night 1st time there it was lovely met some nice people followed by a50 mile bike ride in sunny cheshire today.

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

BS - hope you get your knee sorted soon.

Ali - you were not shit. Good determination to finish the race!

50 minute bike for me which was supposed to be 45min and a walk brick as that is what I can do. 

Started moving yesterday, we have till Tuesday which is nice but sure we'll get bored doing it 3/4 through. Kitchen, bedroom and bathroom moved. We have way too much stuff so trying to get rid of some on the way.

Any nice weekend plans anyone?