Options

Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

cake - haha - did you wear that top??

pete - why have you got that time as a target? With that half marathon time you will struggle - I think the general rule of thumb is double the half marathon time + 20 minutes. Don't end up ramping up the running so much that you injure yourself

• Options
    AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭

Phew it's been busy few days, I've done three days of training twice a day, madness I agree but it means today is a bonus rest day , yay! It's also my wedding anniversary so double yay.

It was supposed to be  a steady ride out with the club ladies last night but shortly after setting off they decided to change it to a chain gang, bit of a shock to the system and regretted downing a pizza directly before the ride but all good fun.

• Options

Oo that sounds good Pete... I'm sure you'll smash it! 

LMH - always hate the heat! I like raining and a little nippy! 

Good work Ali.. I'm on a much appreciated rest day! image

• Options

Lol Im still here image have been lurking - quite tired with the heat and work and training image but having a quiet day in preparation for tomorrow - going to treat it as a training day-ish image 

I was reading that article on the Guardian about training more than once a day and I started to write a comment outlining vaguely the training stuff and commuting I do - cause i dont think it's heaps when I realised compared to some of the people commenting 10-15 hours a week is a snotload image so I deleted it - me of 5 years ago could not have contemplated the life I currently lead!

• Options

MC -that half marathon was off road, up a hill and I got lost as well. It was exactly the kick up the ass I needed. I've started a 3 run per week training session to protect me from injury. Running is what I'm best at (which doesn't say much) so I've been ignoring it. Now that I'm back running regularly I've got a good feeling. But ultimately I don't care how long it takes, I just want a finishers medal. 

• Options
    mathschick wrote (see)

cake - haha - did you wear that top??

image Yes the scary bit is only realised when I put it on again to cycle home after work this it was wrong. Throught I had just put on some weight.

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

Ali - happy anniversary image well done with your training

pete - that is the best attitude, specially with your first marathon. Be prepared to go through a bad stage at some point in the race and have the mental strength to carry on, reaching that finish line is brill image

cake image you do make me laugh

buttercup - good luck for tomorrow. Doesn't look like I will be joining you. Not needing to talk much today (inset day) has been good to rest my throat my throat a bit, but I still feel crap so really I need to stay in bed tomorrow morning not get up at 4 and try to race. I am thoroughly peed off - have my bike nicely serviced and everything. 

inset day has been the biggest pain in the bum ever. We were supposed to be able to leave early, but because my new head of dept is so crap, what should have taken an hour took 3, so this afternoon instead of spending it relaxing etc I have been in a really frustrating meeting for 3 hours , it is totally irrelevant to me anyway. Also, another member of staff has really peed me off with his stupid f**ing immature attitude. Sorry if that was a bit of a rant - I obviously can't do a public or facebook rant, need to keep a professional image and all that 

and breathe....

when OH gets home I am going to go for a walk. Too ill to run, what I really need is a good run to get rid of the aggro but hopefully a walk down a trail in the sunshine will help....

• Options

Deep breaths MC - you'll be out of there soon. I'm sure a walk in the sun will help. Shame about not being able to race again but sounds as though you don't have much choice in the matter. If you're still ill on Monday - go sick! It doesn't sound to me as if you owe them anything.

pete - I find filling in the gaps between runs with riding and swimming helps keep me injury free and enables me to run faster too.

Happy Anniversary Ali.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

ButterCup - good luck for tomorrow! And I'm sure you'll blitz the run!

Will catch up during the weekend. It's not been a good week for me.

• Options

i hope you didnt ruin it Cake!! 

Boo to feeling poorly Maths and having to tolerate new Twit. 

Mikasa- hope you are OK. 

LMH - i am hoping your advice works for me too, would love to get a bit quicker! 

Good luck buttercup

Ali - fab double days but not sure I would manage even 2 on the trot! 

Thanks for advice on hands- will use gloves next time and hope they quell the vibration which was quite unpleasant. I did think my handlebars would be better tilted a bit back so can mention when i take bike for 1st service which is already overdue. 

• Options

LMH - I don't currently have the energy for anything other than my three runs...up here in the frozen north it comes light about 2am and goes dark about 11.30pm so I'm struggling to get enough sleep.  I might try a bike session on sunday morning, if only to find a longer run route.

I did a double hill lap tonight.  11.30 miles in 1hr 52...797ft elevation gain...although the downhills are pretty strenuous.  The area where my big toes joins my foot is sore now on my left foot.  I worry that the pounding on hard roads is starting to cause me a problem.

Good luck to everyone racing!

MC- is all the stress and hassle of your job making you prone to colds? Just think, you're new job will be much better...less stress and you've done a marathon this year...that's pretty special!

Mikasa - chin up! just be thankful you're not like me, an England fan living in Scotland..next week is going to be a harder test on my patience than any training!

• Options

Pete that type of pain can be a sign of a bunion issue do you overpronate or when you look at the big toe on your left foot is it facing in towards the next toe if so a toe separator and some tape would be a good idea google it could prevent an injury further down the line.

• Options

I thought waking at 0430hrs was bad pete - I do find an eye mask useful at this time of year though. Glasslegs could be on to something or it could be a build up of hard skin.

Hope you're feeling brighter mikasa.

It should Camlo. Consistent consistency is the key. When I just ran I was very injury prone but have been able to string much more consistent training together since swapping to multisport.

Beautiful morning here, BC has got a lovely day for the Dambuster but may add to her Outlaw comedy tan lines!

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

lost a post last night because we keep having internet issuesimage

pete - I am sure all the stress of the last few months is contributing to all the colds etc I am getting. Yes, the marathon was a massive milestone for me, I think it was the 4th I have entered and the only one I have managed to start, always managed to injure myself before! So, to add to what LMH says, I definitely think the swimming and cycling help prevent injury, and also help build the aerobic fitness without adding too much running. 

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Pete, so envious of you doing Loch Ness, I wanted to do it, but decided to be sensible and wait until I can run properly again before entering such things. I have an old school friend living in Inverness now, it would double up as an excuse to visit her.

MC, look after yourself, not long to go before change of job.

I went out early and did 54.5 miles, lovely route around the Surrey Hills with most of it being slow drag ones, not steep ones. The best bit was going down after getting to the top of Newlands Corner, massive  weeeeeeeeee. Had a little nap in the garden to recover this afternoon.

• Options

Well it all went tits up today nothing really went to plan image cavalcade of bike related stuff, Garmin dying and goggles being silly - all culminating a gear cable snapping outside T1 which ended my race.  The Marshalls, beloved husband and SuperCaz picked me up literally (I came off whilst considering whether I could make it around the course stuck in my big ring, it was like someone yelled timber over on my right side, which dislodged my chain at which point I just called it a day).  I could've cried - I didn't but felt like it - so my first DNF is done and dusted image

BH and SuperCaz fed me ice-cream and full fat coke image at least my legs will be okay for the ClumberPark HM next Saturday!

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

buttercup, well done for not cryingimage everyone has bad races, plenty more to come. At least the DNF was mechanical and not you getting hurt. Probably no comfort right now though

• Options

Pants BC. Glad you're ok. Nothing you can do about a mechanical DNF like that.

• Options

Yeah Im fine guys just bummed out a bit as it was the free race I got through the buccaneers and it was such a lovely day.  It was a lesson in learning knowing when to call it a day image which tbh Im so stubborn I struggle with it sometimes.  

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

it is tough to make a decision to stop once you have started an event. I guess you didn't have much choice, but I know people who have had to stop part way round a marathon and that must be such a difficult decision to make

• Options

aarggh...uber pants ButterCup...couldn't you sneak back in to T1 and borrow another bike?image

• Options

Aw Buttercup that's pants! You'll smash it next weekend image

Top ride Steady, bet the snooze was lovely in the sun! 

Been out for a quick pootle on the bike. Had just cooled off so not too sweaty. 

Mr Cake - looking at photos recently you look like you've dropped a few pounds!

• Options

Hi guys, been a little AWOL the past few months due to various reasons. The original plan for this year was either IM Wales or Cotswold 226 but due to my other half being made redundant in December and then being effectively bullied out of her recent job money has been quite tight, hence not being able to drop £300 odd on a race entry.  This meant that not having an event to work towards training has been very lapse and sparodic.

However things are looking a little better and I am thinking about a late summer event and I have seen the Wild Boar mentioned on here by a few. Is it the middle distance on 7th Sept? 

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

rocco - sorry to hear about your OH's problems with work, what a nightmare

yes, quite a few of us are planning on doing or supporting at the boar, there are no cutoffs so no stress on time if your training hasn't gone to plan

• Options

And the WB is quite a bit cheaper than other races image

• Options

Training has been a bit lax recently, but got back to the pool today to get back on with the swimming. 3 lots of fairly slow 400m today, stressful at first due to having to try to dodge people doing backstroke and aquajogging in the lanes. Maybe I'm just a grumpy, intolerant git but I hate those people. Going to get back into swimming 3 times per week, and get an OW swim done once a week on top of that to work on OW stamina, technique and confidence. Think the plan for next weekend is a weekend up at Bamburgh to swim and recce the bike course for the Castles Challenge tri.

Off out for a run later, as that's another thing that, for one reason and another, has been a bit neglected. Might change focus to looking at a run-walk strategy for Bamburgh, then work on switching to just running for the GNR.

• Options

Maths - Thanks, she was so excited to get offered a new job following redundancy but her manager was a complete bitch on a power trip and as she was still in her probation period we decided it best for her to resign on, fairly good terms rather than be forced out and sacked. 

No cut off sounds great image It's the swimming that may be an issue as not done much at all this year, running wise I'm up to a comfortable 5-6 miles and would be able to do the distance and cycling is my strongest so as soon as pay day is here I think I'll enter. I'll be able to sneak £80 under the radar image

The Evil Pixie wrote (see)

It is indeed Rocco and it even has a pirate ship there so an essential pirate race image

Even more excuse to come and do it! Will be my first pirate race!

• Options

Let me know how you get on with the course recce Durhambiker. I rode it the day after the cancelled race last year and found it had some really rough surfaces and pot holes, to the extent that I'm thinking of taking my road rather that TT bike if I race this year. Swim conditions can vary hugely over the period of a few hours, for the sprint on the Saturday evening it was like a mill pond, on the Sunday morning it just wouldn't have been safe and during the week we saw most thing in-between.

How are things going EP?