Options

Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• Options

SFF, I think I have fell off my bike more times than I have got off, always try and cusion your bikes fall, you dont want to scratch it image enjoy the tri, and then get out before you get sucked in and talked into something silly image

Good luck with the vit Bookie, and with the Standard Mrs D have a great weekend, go smash it!

Is anyone doing the Boar or the Stratford/Warwickshire tri (whichever they decide to call it) ?

Lumpty is in 2 minds about the Boar as she hasn't had much time to train, she might leave it till next years Outlaw

• Options

JP - I had planned on the boar, but have missed out on a lot of the training I had planned for Yorkshire marathon, and I want to try to beat my only marathon time, so I am not doing boar now, need to do a long run that weekend. 

definitely going to enter outlaw half again

want to do the relay again at full outlaw - I am half thinking I would like to swim and run, and have someone else do the bike. Might be a crazy idea, but I want to a) get a decent swim time to want to do the swim again and b) really fancy the run. The idea of the bike in the middle scares me to deathimage so I think I should build up and aim for the full in 2016. I know myself and know that I need time to build up to these things

• Options

Maths it's possible to do two bits of the relay if that helps afraid you still only get one medal for it through. For the bike the distance is relitive if you where about to get some longesh rides in for 2015 I'm thinking a lot of your worries would go away. Just a case of building it up and also getting used to being on a bike for 6/7 hours.

To start the brian washing you if you wanted to do it also a question of thinking about what you eat going round and refueling. The bikes just foreplay for the proper fun bit on the run.

JPGoodboy wrote (see)

Is anyone doing the Boar or the Stratford/Warwickshire tri (whichever they decide to call it) ?

Lumpty is in 2 minds about the Boar as she hasn't had much time to train, she might leave it till next years Outlaw

If the moment I'd be interested in doing both but also at the moment havn't signed up for ever what with stuff being in the air with the move to Birmingham. If Lumpty wanted to do the boar it won't be a issue with the times but if she's out there for ages she might not enjoy it that much. Depends what you mean by not much time to train she might finesh before a few people there.

• Options
    BookyBooky ✭✭✭

I didn't know Mrs. JP was Lumpty (or have I made an assumption??) image

I'm very tempted by the Outlaw Half. The Warwickshire tri is normally on the to-do list, but as with Cake I'm not sure what's happening yet. I sincerely hope we've moved by then! 

Are you doing the Boar JP? I think Buttercup is, and possibly Pixie too. I'm dithering image 

• Options

imageimage Do it!!!! You've done all three distances in the last 3 months just a case of putting it together.

• Options

do it bookie!!

I guess I need to have a think. And figure out how much training time I will realistically have...

good luck with the house hunting and the move

• Options

Im dithering too, moneys a bit of an issue (or lack of it) at the mo, If Lumpty (Mrs JP) does it I might support, She's a bit worried that she hasn't done a lot of biking, she'll handle the swim and she's a good runner. I want her to do it for her confidence but don't want to push her into it.

We'll be supporting at the Warwickshire.

Hope the move goes well guys, and  Bookie do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it image

• Options
    BookyBooky ✭✭✭

I'm almost certain on doing the Outlaw half. The Boar though... the description of the bike course makes it sound a bit too lumpy!

• Options

The bike course is nice, its up and down but no tough hills, but thers a nice fast down hill from mkt bos town alll the way past the lake, the worst bit for me was the few miles before the town, its a slight uphill that goes on a bit.

I'll be doing a loop next Saturday with lumpty as a training ride if you guys fancy it, probably swim first, have a coffee and a bacon roll then do a loop or 2

• Options

I was talking to Robbo, they have changed the run course too, it doesnt go up to the furthes turn point, on the way out as you get to the 1st bridge you follow the road to the left by the sounds of it, it takes the hill out but its 4 laps out and back.

It sound like the road that me and Red Dog ran up by mistake last year

• Options

4 laps sounds better from a support point of view - makes it a tedious course but you get to see your supports more often

what is the warwickshire one? Is it the same as the staffs 70.3 or is it a different one?

• Options

image But I liked that run course it had speed bumps.

Sarah there is a bridge on the bike that if your not in the right gear as you get to it can be challenging but it is mostly flat with some up or dwon flat's. if you have fitness which I think lumpy has as well by the way you can blag it even without bike training. Everything else is a case of time and how cool you want to look crossing the finesh line.

• Options
    Does anyone know a rough idea of how much climbing on the bike/biggest hill etc? Or even a garmin profile/map file thing (technical term) of the course? On my phone at work so apologises if it's easy to find.
  • Options

Rocco sorry I can't see one handy very rough guess on my part is there is about 100 to 150 feet of climb and desent on the loop. If your nearby might be worth while doing a recon there if your in two minds. The A4444 can be grinding if the wind is in the wrong direction but there arn't any real hilly bits to be worried about. I'd wait for buttercup or Pixie or someone like that to give a second view through as sometimes my perpective on these things is different to other's. image

• Options

buttercup may have a garmin thing of it when she pops along

• Options

good to hear from you pixie and that you are in training mode image

I am feeling a bit lurgified, not sure what is wrong with me, but I need to get better cos we are going on holiday on Thursday. So Shelved my training plans for this weekend...

smelly scout son has come home with piles of stinking washing

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

I am going to do Outlaw Half, I want to be able to run the run bit a little bit more and go a bit faster.

MC I will only consider the full as relay doing the bike if I survive and enjoy the Ride London 100.

I am having the wibbles about the ride, feeling undertrained as I had almost a month of not riding, then only getting 2 short rides in last week. Tomorrow I will ride with the club, will need to HTFU and go with the faster group.  I want to chat to some of the others doing it so hopefully I can get my plan organised, I feel the need to be in control and know exactly what I am doing and when.

• Options

steady - you will be fine, last week can count as taper. Don't kill yourself on the club ride today as it may have the opposite effect and make you feel less confident

• Options

Steady - what's your longest ride so far? When I did my first century the longest ride I had done prior was 66 miles. I found it was a lot of mental and about making sure you are comfy and eat enough on the ride. It wasn't hard, per se, but it wasn't exactly an easy ride. I'm sure you'll be fine image

• Options

Rocco - i would echo your advice to steady. Not done a long bike but i have done several running ultras and the longest training distance wasnt even half the race distance. It is definitely about learning how to keep fuel in balanced with fuel burned, in a stomach acceptable way.  

Nearly fell off the bike several times today, not sure if legs were just tired from my early morning run or do shoes and cleats 'move'? 

Love the idea of protecting the bike if you do have a spill..... I fell off within days of buying mine and scuffed the brake lever and handlebars which was gutting! 

Have made up my mind to do a iron next year as can swim 2k now, can bike 30 miles and running a sept mara so 'just' need to up the swimming and massively up the bike and i will be fine!! (yes??). Cant decide which one though!! Bolton sounds hilly, outlaw sounds like it smells of duck poo and is hilly, tenby is definately hilly and the sea swim is scary..... Cotswold sounds good but not heard anyone mention it?? HELP! 

• Options

EDIT - just seen a thread for cotswold and realised it is a new event.... Dont suppose anyone knows of one which is all downhill?? 

• Options

Steady, you'll be grand image EP - nice to hear things back on track image

Well, I did a Standard Tri yesterday! It's was a generally shocking experience. i had smashing company, Mr D, M&M's and a friend Paul. Red Stripe was there to cheer me on. But it pretty much stopped there all the smashing bits. I lie, the swim was lovely! I shall continue straight to the bike...

The Bike... The rain had started about 10mins before the start of the swim.Very heavy. A 'gentle' breeze accompanying it. I hate cycling in the wind and rain image After the longest transition in the history of triathlon (except Cake at Wild Boar last year image). I headed out. I had enjoyed the swim but braced for 25 miles of hell. Simply, it as awful. There were crashes, bikes in hedges, near misses and I almost came off after my tri-bars dislodged. I managed to smash my head on the handlebars and my forearms. Dug my leg foot into the floor to stop the bike sliding out and wrenched my neck. A few minutes of pulling myself together and I carried on. Although I pulled in a quicker bike time than last year it felt like forever. I have never has such a miserable experience on a bike. When it was finally over I waded through a couple of inches of water back to transition. 

So, it was at this point the rain stopped. Glorious sunshine showered transition and it was hot. I hate running in heat image My trainers were soaked and I then remembered the run was around the lake. It was like something from 'It's a Knockout'! Slipping and sliding around. My left Achilles and calf hurt from trying the stabilise the bike earlier and my head was banging. It was all in all very comical. 6 laps and it was all over. On the 5th lap there were some tears as I realised how much everything hurt. This is the first event EVER that I actually wanted to just stop! Pack up my stuff and go home. But, I was on for a PB. No giving up now. 

Last lap came and went slowly and lonely. On my own, but not last image PB accomplished and a can of coke from Red Stripe I made a decision that I will never do that event again! EVER! 

• Options
    Well done mrs D, good race report..

When's the next one?image
  • Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Well done Mrs D.

• Options
    Well we've buggered off to Spain. But for a change we're driving down. Set off on Friday after work, arrived at Zaragoza this afternoon. Valencia tomorrow, then the final destination of Nerja on Tuesday.

Got our bikes in the car, so the plan is for plenty of cycling and running once we arrive. Training in the sun.
  • Options

morning all

MrsD - well done, crappy weather and your body won't have recovered from last weekend yet either. Take some time off for a proper rest now.

Durham, a long drive in the heat but that area round Nerja is lovely. 

camlo - I think the Cotswold people have run other tris before and I have heard good things about them. 

• Options

Oo DB - have much fun! image

Camlo - 113 events have a very good reputation. Few of us helping out next weekend. You could always come and have a gander!

Allsorts - what you up to next weekend? 

• Options
    Mrs D- Rocco has been talking to someone about helping out at the weekend. We were thinking of taking our bikes over on the Saturday for a ride... Are you and Mr D helping out? If so what are you doing? We've been asked to do the bike or run.., what are your plans?
  • Options

image Well done Mrs D back to back races are always harder. image

Steady as above regarding the long bike. Inportant thing is make sure you take on fuel going round as well.

Camlo I wouldn't class Outlaw as hilly There is only one hill on the whole course and it's not that bad. It's the only one of those that I've done but other than the cotswold race which have no knowlage of would say's it's by far the flatest. I would o some more thinking and take your time about your chose. Depending on how much time you have to train a slightly hilly course might not be as scary as you think but would factor in the training and also cost. Ironman distance events can be costly both in term's of the entry and also logistic's for travel and kit.

Have you throught much about the training side of things? Do you need any help chuck. image