Options

Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

pete - my 78 year old dad does pilates, and I think a lot of people at the local pilates class are retired - so you might be the sprightly youngster at yours!

well, had a bit of a rubbish week, just shattered, and today has been manic, including hosting my youngest's birthday party, I have had a headache all day and didn't manage to eat all my salmon this evening - unlike me!! will be having an early night I think and no idea if I will feel up to training tomorrow, will just see how I feel when I wake up

• Options

First OW swim done yesterday, as part of the Keswick Triathlon at the Mountain Festival. It was a bit chilly, though my feet were already numb as the bar stewards decided to close transition 45 minutes before the race start, so spent the time inbetween standing around on the wet grass in bare feet.

Swim didn't go well, despite confident feelings running up to it. The cold water on my face knackered me for doing front crawl initially, then I got completely boxed in by breast strokers (hurhur) and couldn't get into a rhythm at all. Managed my 2 laps, and then struggled to get out thanks to combination of the boulders, weeds and my legs not working. Also suspect I needed to pull the arms up more on my wetsuit, and shed a few pounds (well, shed a few stone to be honest).

Got the feeling back into my feet eventually, and headed out onto the bike. Windy, but lovely views. Long steady uphill to Newlands Pass, and I thought that was it for that climb, until I rounded a bend and saw the pass itself. Several riders were trying to zig-zag up the last section, but failed. Everyone else was walking. I attempted it, but gave up and unclipped. Descending the other side down to Buttermere was "interesting" with the 25% gradient, sharp corners, steep drops and strong winds. Lovely ride along the shore of Buttermere, undulating and fast, with the wind behind for once. Passed the sign marking the start of Honister Pass and began a seemingly gradual ascent. Just as I was thinking "I can handle this no bother!" I went around another bend and was present with what appeared to be a wall in the distance. Again, tried my best but realised I was fooling noone, and tried not to fall on my arse walking up the 25%+ slope in SPDs.

• Options

Cue another hairy descent grabbing the brakes more or less the entire way down, with the added worry of having already been told at the summit that someone had crashed near the bottom and the ambulance and mountain rescue were on their way, so watch out. Once safely at the bottom it was a nicely undulating ride back to the Keswick Mountain Festival village, with a horrible grassy run into transition. Changed into my running shoes, ditched the jacket, forgot to pick up my water bottle and set off running. Managed to run as much as I had planned initially, which was the flattish section through town to the foot of Latrigg, the bloody hill the route was to take us up. I entertained no notions of running up to the summit, so I walked, catching occasional glimpses of the summit and thinking to myself "it can't still be that far...". Became aware of being thirsty, but knew there was a water station at the summit so I'd be fine. Got nearer the top and the wind picked up again, reached the summit, no water, brilliant. So if you're slow and fat, no water for you, all the faster people will have already taken the bottles, drunk half, and discarded the bottle on the path. Wankers. Up there with discarded gel sachets.

But I had reached the summit, got my green wristband to prove it, and set off back down, running most of the descent, and most of the road back into Keswick. Had a short walk, then told myself I had to run through the centre and back to the finish, no arguments. Finished in an overall time of 4:17. Toughest Olympic distance (and it's not even full Olympic distance, 400m swim, 22 mile bike, 10k run) I've ever done. A few annoyances, such as the closure of transition leaving 45 minutes to kill barefoot, the lack of water and also having to share the finish chute with the riders completing the sportive at the same time, but overall a good fun race

• Options

Oh, and they cocked up the names on our race numbers too. On the start lists, I was Matt, on the sheets at registration, I was Matt. But my race number had the name "Karen" printed on...

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Well done on completing such a challenging Tri DB.

I have done very little this week, due to the stupid hurt toe. I have followed the NHS Direct advice and taped the 2 toes together and have been resting as much as possible. So today I went for an OW swim and did 1900m, so feel ready for the swim in 2 weeks time, but a little unsure on the cycle and run.

The toe is getting better but I need more patience. Also been stressed as F in L in the nursing home has deteriorated and now on end of life care.

• Options

Awesome work Karen.. Sorry DB! Top report imageimage

Maths & Steady. - go with how you feel. When things are a little fraught no point really pushing yourself. Sorry to hear about your F in L Steady.

Brizzle - see you at the 113 image

So, The Diggers cycled to Tewkesbury. MrD pootled round the half marathon in 1:49 (PB by 11mins). Then The Diggers cycled back home. Lovely day for it and MrD rocked it image !!!!!!!!

• Options

Well done guys on your training and racing?  Hows your training going for the 113 MrsD?

• Options

Favourite moment of the race was on Newlands Pass, and from behind me I hear "You are the butchest Karen I have ever seen in my life"

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

well done DB image love the new name - perhaps you should change your forum name?

I think I would have walked down that descent knowing someone had crashed at the bottom - but I am a big girl's blouse like thatimage

Massive well done to MrD too

Steady - well done on your ow swim

I had a great swim this evening - but little else today, apart from the normal housework and being a mum/wife stuff....

• Options
    AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭

60 mile TT on Sat and 70 mile sportive yesterday. I'm a tad tired but happy image It didn't' all go according to plan but I learned lots of useful things to set me up for future long rides. I now know I need to start eating by mile 5 and I need to buy a salt stick dispenser as I dropped them twice on Saturday.

I'm also OK today which is very good news as next week I'm off on holiday and didn't want to be injured for that image Rest day today makes it all even better.

• Options

wow...great racing folks...very exciting and scary...our local King of the Mountains sportive was rerouted due to snow and high winds...yeah, I know...middle of May...I didn't enter as I'm still at the 50 mile mark rather than 100 miles...

I ran today...a little bit faster and harder than last week and now my calves are nicely sore...

• Options

Our current plan for this coming weekend is ride up to Embleton on Saturday, camp overnight, and ride back Sunday. 150 mile round trip carrying camping kit. Did it last year on my MTB having done no long rides, and had a serious sense of humour failure on the way back when we reached Whitley Bay (although it's that sort of place, really). Hoping that more long rides, using my hybrid with more sensible tyres, and using panniers instead of carrying all the weight on my back will make it an easier, more enjoyable ride out. Well, once we get past Blyth and get into some nice scenery anyway...

• Options

7 mile run today with Horse, avg pace 9:43 min/m, its the best I have felt on a run for ages, just hope I've turned the corner.

Great report DB, well done sounds like it was tough.

• Options

Aye it was tough, but enjoyable. With less wind, and if I'd had my brakes working properly, and if I'd been about 4 stone lighter, it would have been awesomeimage

Good running Razor, you'll be kicking my arse at Outlaw

• Options

I need to get some long bikes in mate, I'll be ok on the run and I'll get through the swim well under the cut offs.

• Options

Longest I've done so far is 60 miles, but that wasn't even on my road bike. Hoping using my heavier hybrid with panniers will make it seem a doddle on the race bikeimage

• Options

Nice bike Ali, it's all a learning curve. Oo holiday, anywhere hot? 

Maths - wife/Mum stuff is exercise in itself image

Razor, you will beast it as always. Remember, you're my inspiration (no pressure) image

DB - still plenty of time. Sounds like your weekend is gonna be a corker. Keep forgetting its a Bank Holiday. 

Chuffed tonight. A 5 miler done in 53:47! Last mile a 9:47. That's walk/run too. Up to 8 min run/1 min walk now. After the bike yesterday feeling most positive. 

• Options

Mrs D ....sounds like you and Mr D have had a great training weekend.

Thats a good run pace for walk/run well done.

• Options

I'm so chuffed, seems such a small thing but massive to me. Thanks Mr Razor image

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

Mrs D well done! Those kind of runs where it all comes together are brill image

Ali - well done on your weekend riding, Where are you off to on holiday?

DB - sounds like you have a great weekend planned

the wife/mum and working too is far too knackering, I am too busy at the moment, losing track of stuff (home stuff not work stuff thank goodness) and wish OH would take a bit of the 'keeping track' responsibility ie who needs to be where when and with what, but I have to tell him. We have started using a family calendar which is helping

anyway, didn't sleep much so no early run but did get out for a club swim this evening, although on Mondays I am in a lane with people who are way faster than me, trying to keep up is knackering! Good for me though, had a good swim

• Options

Hey, don't thank me , your the one doing it and looks like you've turned a corner and got rid of all your niggles so onwards and upwards.  image

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

I may be quiet for a day or so, but still hoping to make Outlaw Half.

Mr Steady senior has passed away, so busy supporting Mr Steady.
    He lived a very full 93.5 years and defied medical expectations and was independent until Xmas.

• Options
    AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭

Very sorry for you loss SteadyCJ, hope the next days and weeks go as well as the can do and you make the start line for Outlaw Half.

I'm off to Colorado , where it is currently midnight and snowing, might not get much sun! But I am going on a ranch holiday so will be fantastic whatever the weather.

I am now off to use Google to find out how far from Boulder we'll be image

Excellent training going on gang well done. Had a 1hrs spin on the bike this morning, certain areas were not happy about being back in the saddleimage

• Options
    RIP Mr Steady senior ((((((Steady)))))
  • Options

big hugs Steady!

Ooh AliB - we did a ranch holiday in Oklahoma several years back, it was great.

Rest day for me due to potentially stressful home life...our ponies are moving on and heading to Nottingham (cue tissues all round)...I hope they see the outlaw from their field...they should be picked up today...we're downsizing in preparation for a hopeful move across the pond this summer...

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

steady - sorry to hear your news. 

Ali - have a fantastic holiday

pete - where in Nottingham? I could run past and see them!

• Options

Sending hugs Steady!

Ali, that sounds fab! Apart from the lady garden issue image

So, training whilst doing long days (14hr shift) Is difficult. Managed a 20min set of hill reps tonight and now will have to wait now till the weekend for more training. By the way, dogs are generally unimpressed with hill reps image

• Options

Maths...I'm not sure.  The OH organised it.!

Ran again at lunch...at little faster again even though it was blowing a gale.  Weirdly even though I run the same lap each time, the garmin records it as slightly different.

bike tomorrow.

• Options
    AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭

Physio at lunch time and need to get her to look at my achilles, I think the weekends cycling stressed it somewhat, had to can this mornings easy spin on the bike.

• Options

Weekend plans out the window due to illness. MixedGrill (the missus) is just getting over a cold, and I'm right in the middle of it. No chance of 80 miles on the bikes carrying camping kit today. Might try a short spin later, and if I'm up to it we'll be running over to the Mother in laws for lunch tomorrow.

On the other hand, got loads of work to do on my bike to get it up to scratch. New bar tape is needed (black this time, not the stupid white it came with), put new gear and brake cables on, new brake pads (Honister Pass finished them off nicely), new tyres, and need new cleats for my shoes. Roll on payday...