Options

Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• Options

Out at 7am on the bike with my mate Horse, I rode 40 miles and Horse did 55 miles including  ride to my house and back home again. Really enjoyed it and the weather was perfect.  imageimage

• Options

This weekend's training went a bit like this:

Saturday: 9 mile run, slow and steady, averaged 11:38 per mile. Felt good, enjoyed it. Went to the pub. Had 2 pints. Had friends round for dinner, drank another 6 pints. Ran out of beer, finished the last bit of Sailor Jerry rum in the booze cupboard, probably a triple measure.

Sunday: Rode from Durham out to Sunderland, up to South Shields and got the passenger ferry across the Tyne to North Shields. Stopped for 2 pints. Rode into Newcastle, stopped for another 2 pints. Missus and mate went to get the train back, I elected to ride the remaining 17 miles back to Durham. Drank 4 more pints. 57 miles cycled on my hybrid bike with panniers.

• Options

DB.......Great drinking mate,  oh and a good bit of running and biking.  image

• Options

Hydration and carbs.

• Options

Can you get arrested for being pissed on a bike  image

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Busy weekend for me, report will follow but basically made mistakes but ended up with a PB by 3 whole minutes compared to last year and managed a record 38 minute 5k time even doing run/walk. BUT now have an injured toe. Plus squeezed in a trip to visit poorly father in law.

More about the saga tomorrow.

• Options
    AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭

I survived. I really do enjoy that race despite slightly messing up nutrition and having my worst run ever. That's because it was proceeded by my best bike image I got to shout arghh at other pirates too so all in all a good day.

• Options

hey, well done to those racing at the weekend...credit to your brevity, but a full race report would be nice.  After sitting on me arse for a couple of weeks I went out for a run.  Hmm...sitting on me arse isn't good training...who knew?

• Options

Feeling surprisingly good today after the weekend's efforts. Rest day today, and easy efforts during the rest of the week ready for Keswick on Saturday. Probably do a couple of 4 mile runs and an easy hour out on the bike.

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

well done ali, DB and CJ

I have done very little the last couple of days because I have been a bit under the weather

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Sprint Tri report

Arrived early with Mr Steady, registered and racked without problem, faffed a bit laying out bits in transition then went out to go over to the pool. Bumped into Happychap and a few others, told Mr Steady how long I was likely to be and minced in bare feet to the pool entrance ( must remember flip flops).

Swim went reasonably well, no major disasters, gave way to a few other faster swimmers and managed to count the 20 laps. Got out of pool and caught my middle toe on a small bit of metal that holds the lane ropes down. Grrr, called myself a silly cow and ouch, but thought no more and ran out to T1.
    T1 was over 10 minutes, I managed to lose my bike position, brain failed to remember that I had my new black bike and brain had me looking for a blue bike, doh.  Socks, shoes, pirate cycle jersey, arm warmers, fingerless gloves on, but managed to get to timing mat before being reminded that I had not got my number belt on, so back to rack to get it. Eventually out of T1 and onto bike.

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Got going well, enjoyed the apparent speed of new bike, about one third of the way I managed to drop the water bottle when trying to get it back in the holder. As I was going quite quick and it went flying across the road into the far gutter I decided not to stop and get it but carry on. Struggled a little bit on one hill, and then remembered that I had been warned about it a few years ago. Back to the Leisure centre for T2, got lucky as I did not have to stop at the pedestrian lights just before the turn in. Racked, helmet off and remembered to take gloves off (which is something I normally forget) put run shoes on and thought ouch bl%%dy bruised toe.

Out on the run/walk/hobble, managed to do a slow run out from the leisure centre grounds then it became walk/run, more walk on inclines and every few minutes curse the toe, which then took turns to signal pain with each knee then the lower back. The 5k run is 2 laps and I seemed to fly round the first lap even with the walking bits, so lap 2 was more of the same. Surprised when the Garmin bleeped an alert that I had done the first mile in less than 14 minutes and it said similar for the second mile.

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Swim 11.51
    T1 over 10 minutes
    Bike 1 hour 8 minutes
    T2 under 3 minutes
    Run 38.53

Total 2:12:23 a PB by 3 minutes over last year, 19th in age category and 12 more finishers after me.

3 were DQ’d, I know the race ref at the pedestrian lights was very firm in instructions to riders who thought they could jump the lights.

Afterwards there was time for a quick shower and change before we headed down to the New Forest to visit father in law in the nursing home, so it was about 10pm when I finally was home and could look at the toe properly to see the damage. Sandals have been worn to work and painkillers were required so think this may be more of a recovery week than planned.

• Options

woo! go Steady!  Great report and nice to get a PB.

I went out on my mountain bike at lunchtime, I discovered a cycle path on an abandoned rail line just near the office.  Gentle upwards incline on the way out so I thought I'd give it a blast and free wheel back...but I didn't realise the wind strength so struggled back with no free wheeling...

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Pete, that is sod's law for you, it happens to me a lot.

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

wow, well done CJ. Bugger about the toe though

Pete - that happens to me too!

feeling better today so a 5 mile run this evening, far too many bugs for it to be pleasant but I enjoyed it image

• Options
    AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭

Well done Steady image

Someone did ask image
    Race report

I arrived the night before to save a 3am race day start and there’s a hotel right on the lake side. Thankfully lots of fellow club members did the same so met up in on site pub for tea. Service was entertaining and food was good.

Race morning, up at 5.45am, porridge consumed and off to rack all of 10 meters from hotel  Did my usual rack bike put things on towel then stand back and try and figure out what is taking everyone else so long. Have I missed something? Turns out no I haven't image The art or racking faffing still eludes me.

Back to hotel chuck wetsuit on with copious amounts of body glide then off to watch the middle distance gang start. Looks OK and a slight confidence boost in that I can see several struggling to get their faces in to start with but all settle down quick enough, so if the same happens to me I'll likely have company.

Listen to race briefing, pass hoody and trainers to a very helpful friend and excellent club sherpa who I'd managed to find.  Get in lake as soon as allowed as I knew it would be a tad fresh, it was warmer than expected but getting head in did take a while, especially as it was pitch blank in there as everything had been churned up by the previous lot. Horn blows and we're off me at the back with my usual plan on settling in then catching a few towards the end of the swim. Had a few panicky people around me, not sure if my words of encouragement helped or appeared patronising, but I tried to help for a while, e.g. take you time no rush , break stroke if need to, remember to breath out, no rush there's plenty of time, you'll float because of your wetsuit,  yada yada yada...  and then just got on with my own swim.  Pleasant enough swim didn't seem as far as last year but afterwards everyone said it was a bit long, managed to catch a  couple of people and was only a little off the back of the main pack by the end.

• Options
    AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭

Run into T1 and am bemused by people joking laughing, fully drying off, chatting etc, one chap stuck in his suit so helped him unzip, tri bonus! Attempted a quick transition and new suit helped but ended up sitting down to put shoes and socks on as both hands and feet too numb so a bit slow at just under 4 mins.

Out and off onto the bike, my favourite bit of the race image Not as windy at the start as last year and ignore HR for a while , garmin beeped to say 7 miles which was a surprise as it felt like a lot less. Food decided to try some PowerShots cola flavoured tasted nice but stomach rolled once per shot but settled down and seemed to give me a good energy boost. Onwards round the rolling course and was surprised to ticking along at just over 15mph happily on the flat sections. Got to the long downhill part of the course and the wind was a cross wind this year so didn’t manage to fly quite as fast as last year, got past by several people doing the middle distance race, due to the wind I didn’t hear them approach so hoping I didn’t get in anyone’s way…  There was a bit of blatant drafting going on but it was minimal and I suppose if you were being very generous you could claim it was more down to the course being a bit busy at that point, but there again other people said they did the bike without seeing anyone else.

Scoffed a few more powershots and a bit of water, but not enough which would come back to haunt me.

• Options
    AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭

Before I know it the loop is finished and it’s head back to the lake caught a fellow club member who is a fish coming back to base and shouted hi. 16.5mph average speed according to Garmin image

Into T2 and change for the run, took off rain jacket and stuck a t-short over my tri top, turned out I didn’t need it and wasted lots of time here. Said  Arggh to pirate in transition. Set off to run and stomach said hi, you muppet you barley drank on the bike and your out of transition now so too late and the first aid station is 2K away… Pootled along at my usual jog quickly re-overtaken by fellow club member and marvelled at the running skills of all around me as they zoomed past, with lots of words of encouragement for me J  Stomach couldn’t tolerate race belt so kept having to pull it down round my derriere, but it kept creeping back up again, made for an entertaining distraction anyway.

Made it to the aid station having taken t-shirt off to use as face rag and downed many cups of water along with my powerbar gel, ohh metallicy not nice. I was already aware this was too little too late but carried on and did get a bit of a boost going down the river path, got over taken by bearded pirate on this bit and gave  him my best arghhh. Came of river path on to short sligh uphill and found myself walking, OK not planned and not good but at the next lamp post back into a run and through to start the next lap. Oh I’m walking again, what little energy boost I had has now gone. So run, jog through the 2nd lap with more encouragement from speedy runners all around me and made it to the finish yay J

• Options
    AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭

Sat with fellow club members and Sherpa at the run lap/finish  point sat on a handy bollard and cheered on the middle distance runners for a bit. The off to hotel room to get showed and head home.

Did a slower swim time than last year and the slowest run time of the day and my slowest ever for that distance. But I enjoyed it and got my best bike time, and they say IM is all about the bike. The slight fly in that ointment is my run was so slow it wouldn’t get me round 26.2 miles within the cut off, so it needs work…  But 20 odd weeks to get that sorted along with nutrition. I’d had a bad stomach all the previous week which I put down to pre-race nerves but I’m not sure now, I don’t think the coke power shots are a good idea either but I’m still not right.

I had yesterday off work with it and I do suffer from IBS but today is still not good. Ah well it’s first time I’ve had tummy troubles so I know I can do a tri without them.. I’ve just got to get things back under control again.  Oddly a new find is that I can’t stomach coconut water, I mean honestly there’s nothing in the stuff but it’s a big instant fat nope for me.

TMI?

• Options

Good going everyone.

No training for me, but decided earlier I should make sure my wetsuit still fits. If I was an estate agent, I'd describe it as "cosy" but although there will be no swinging of cats, it fits! So all go for Keswick on Saturday. Tomorrow I'll get the bikes and gear packed ready for a quick getaway when I get home from work on Friday. Having finally looked at the bike course last night, it's going to be interesting. One of the 2 climbs is Honister Pass, that'll be nice halfway through the bike...

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

well done Ali, although I have no idea which tri it was - I am sure you have said at some point

good luck for the weekend DB

• Options

Well dome guys on your training and racing. Ive just been plodding along with fink. Few mis haps with the long rides but all in all ok. 

• Options

Nice race report Ali...what race were you doing?

ran again yesterday.  Now that I've got my garmin watch working I was better able to pace myself so knocked 2 minutes off my 5k time which is nice.

Swim today.  And hopefully some kind of bike at the weekend.

• Options

So nice to have race reports Steady and Ali,  excellent work ladies! What's the rest of the year hold?

DB - quality drinking! Oo and training image Hope the weekend goes well.

Brizzle - keep plodding along. It does feel like forever with Fink. It will be worth it!

I have been continuing to do bits of training as I can. Hopefully the weather will hold for a decent bike at the weekend. MrD did our yearly Cotswold S/S and smashed his PB by pretty much 10mins. Most proud image

• Options
    AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭

Hi, it was the Monster Mojito and I was third from last image
    Had a rough week post race but am starting to brighten up now, which is handy as I have a TT tomorrow and a sportive on Sunday. Busy busy busy  It's ALL about the bike.

• Options
    AliBear30 wrote (see)

It's ALL about the bike.

Isn't that a song by some popular beat combo? Megan the trainer or something?

I swam.  I was rubbish as usual.

I was speaking to a friend today who said that since starting yoga/Pilates she's not had any knee troubles...I wonder if I need to be the token podgy bloke at the back of a Pilates class...

• Options

Ali - I tend to gauge my performance on wether I was last or not image

Pete - my Dad does Pilates/yoga. Been really good for him as he is, 'tight as a ducks arse' muscle wise apparently!!! Been good for him and his back and knee pain! 

Rest day yesterday, have woken up feeling a bit rubbish today image Will see how I feel then maybe turbo later. Off to Tewkesbury tomorrow on the bike, watch MrD do the half marathon then bike back. Hopefully weather will be ok! Have a top weekend all image

• Options

Great stuff everyone, and thanks MrsD.

I have a 2 hour run planned this afternoon and going for 65-70 cycle tomorrow up towards monmouth and back so should be fun, hopefully the weather holds up.

Legs feel pretty ruined this week so need to get a massage booked in for next week and see if that brings a bit of life back to them

• Options

Done nowt since last sundays bike due to work and knocking down a wobbly 10ftx6ft garden wall that was threatening to relocate to next doors garden, then shifted the 600 bricks and rubble to the tip,( is that classed as cross training). I will be erecting the new fence with the aid of Horse tomorrow so will see how it goes and may get a run in if we finish it early enough.

Great race reports Ali and Steady and well done everyone on your training.

Enjoy your ride Mrs D and good luck to Mr D in his half marathon.