Options

Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• Options

Been using an Alpkit headtorch which works nicely for me, but does result in blinding my mate when I look at him to speak to him. As I say I saw those chest lights t'other day and they looked interesting. Got a Decathlon running hydration vest to try out ready for trail running, likely to get used for my main tri this year (changed from the Brutal Half to A Day In The Lakes for logistical reasons, plus I wanted to do the Lakes one last year) and possibly Helvellyn if we enter that

• Options

A Day in the Lakes looks good value, is it the same venue as Ulleswater tri?

• Options

Yup. Transition is in the same field, swim starts/ends on the same beach. And aye, it's belting value, couldn't shake a stick at it if you wanted to

• Options

I've got a 10k next weekend so I did a test run today. I'm more unfit than I feared. Even 10k races start early over here, 7am start...to get it done before it hots up. I guess I need to invest in a water bottle belt and sun visor.

Keep training folks.

• Options

hi all

pete - good luck with the 10k. I also have a 10k next week and a half marathon coming up in a couple of weeks. Haven't been doing many long runs though, and woke this morning with a headache image 

• Options

I'm avoiding anything longer than a 10K until my knees are better or at least, more reliable.  And until I've got the energy to run in the evenings. 

The 10K doesn't bother me too much its the driving in to the centre of Houston to find a car parking spot within walking distance of the race start.  And then trying to get out again afterwards.

Did you partake of the liquid for of the fruit of the vine MC?

• Options

Well done everyone on the weekend full of training, Great stuff Pete on the 10K

Since starting running again a few weeks back after a long lay off with injury my god im finding it hard to stay in Z2. Oh well, good things will come soon

• Options

Still no running but I'm slowly getting into the swim/bike routine. Actually had a n entire lane pretty much to myself on Saturday. Have switched back to my original local pool as it's cheaper and I'm enjoying it more than the punch ups at the uber pool. 

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

I hit my target of 200 miles commuting in January. Unfortunately I woke up with fever on Sunday morning and have stayed at home today. There might not be any cycling this week as have a chesty cough as well.

I've found a nice 5 miler trail run to work towards in June which is cheap and local. Not entered yet as they have last year's entry form on website and online through this website it's £2 dearer. Maybe I should just use the universal entry form and get it done.

• Options

mikasa, go on, you know you want to.  It's fun entering races even if you hobble round them in the end.  Good work on your cycle distance.  That's brilliant.

• Options

My weekend involved the Whinlatter Duathlon. Now, overall, I enjoyed it. I did. Honestly. But there were only 3 states of mind involved during the event, and they constantly swapped over.

1. "OHMYGODTHISISSOAWESOMEINEVERWANTITTOEND!"

2. "Oh my god this is so hard will it ever end?!"

3. "OHMYGODI'MGOINGTODIE"

6k trail run kicked things off, and despite starting most of the way up Whinlatter Pass, it obviously started by going uphill. Then down a bit, but just to throw a bit more climbing in. Managed to run all the first part of climbing, but upon hitting the "last little bit of steady climb" in the words of the marshal, just walking it saw my HR go higher than it did at any other point in the event, and got my legs burning it was so steep and relentless. A bit of fresh snow adorned the top of the course, and I managed to force a smile for the photographer before trying not to die on the first, steep downhill. Once the gradient eased off it was actually a thoroughly enjoyable run downhill back to transition along singletrack and fire road.

Then onto the bike. Was supposed to be a 16km loop, but I logged it at 13km. Onto the singletrack, kicking off with a couple of sections of the blue trail. Fast and curvy, nothing too challenging, then spat out onto a fire road for the first bit of climbing. Wasn't too severe, but then onto the first section of red graded singletrack, Bob's Traverse. This section is overall uphill, nothing severe, but it's twisty and rocky and rooty, and EXPOSED. Bugger this bit up and fall to the right and you're going to be rolling downhill for about 10 minutes before you come to a stop. After this, more seemingly relentless climbing on technical singletrack before hitting a fast descent on double track that has become rutted and bumpy in the storms. It was here I nearly came off for the first time, but held on and got some grins, before rounding a corner to be faced with a huge, steep, muddy climb, that already had everyone else off the bikes and pushing. I heroically tried to ride as much as I could, just catching the last guy pushing before losing all grip and giving up. 10 minutes or so of pushing the bike followed, including one bit where I overtook someone who was riding. Some more uphill followed, and then the summit was reached and things got interesting. On the first decent singletrack descent, I saw a rocky and rooty drop coming up, so went to slide my weight over the back wheel, but I went too far and dropped below the saddle. Realising my unmentionables were both behind and below the saddle, I took up religion and somehow managed to get them out of the danger zone before hitting the obstacle resulted in them being internal features for the forseeable future. I managed to just about convince the bike to go in roughly the right direction most of the time for the remainder of that section, but there was some involuntary sideways progress made. Then we came out of the forest onto the hillside and hit an absolutely amazing section. Swooping, rollercoaster-esque trails that forced my wheels off the ground on more than one occasion. Woops of glee were heard from myself and other riders, a brilliant bit of trail. Which then left us at the bottom of another evil climb. Which in turn led to a descent currently closed to the public. Which nearly killed me. First I nearly fell off right infront of the photographer, after the marshal said "be careful here", and at the bottom I realised I was carrying far too much speed and couldn't slow down. How I stayed on the bike for that bit I have no idea.

And then finished with run 2, a carbon copy of the first, but a bit slower. Overtook some people, ran with some people, chatted. Finished the event in a shade over 3 hours and 1 minute.

• Options

wow, well done DB!

• Options

Congratulations on doing that event DB, I am sure I would have walked up every hill whether running or on the bike.

I did an hour on the turbo yesterday, today I was very tired. Must try to get more sleep.

• Options

Nice work and report DB! image

I still have the lurgy image

• Options

Good stuff DB, sounds like it was a blast.

Stop having the lurgy MrsD. That's an order!

• Options

Well done DB, great work

• Options

I went swimming this morning 1500m swum in just under 1 hour so not even fast.

Can I have a sleep now to recover?

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Nice one DB!

Quick recovery MrsDigger. 

I managed to get a virus from somewhere and slept all day Sunday. Have felt pretty rubbish and off work Monday and Tuesday. Starting to feel better now so back to work tomorrow but no exercise this week so no biking to work. Boo!

Hope you had your sleep Steady and are recovering.

• Options

mikasa - hope you are feeling ok, take it easy

MrsD - get better! You spend too much time with sick people...

steady - well done, yes, you can sleep now image

run this morning and turbo this evening 

• Options

Had a power nap for 20 minutes at lunchtime, going to aim for an early night tonight.

• Options

Well that was interesting. Woken by a thunder storm that rattled the house, then a drive to houston via a large diversion due to the innerstate being closed. Everyone mumbling through star spangled banner on the start line and then they let the 5k walkers out 5 minutes after the 10k started so that we have to wade through them in the final kms.

Still, a nice run. Did I mention it started at 8am so I had to set off at 6?

I wonder if I'm allowed to sing God save the Queen at the start or will I get shot?

• Options

well done pete. I would just mumble whatever you want!

did a 10k race today - pretty chuffed with getting average pace just under 12:30 mins per mile specially given the horrible head wind!

then a 2 hour sufferfest turbo 

legs aren't happy with me!

• Options

you did sufferfest after the 10K?!  are you mad?  I sat around marvelling at my own marvelousness!  I was thinking of bike ride tomorrow but I need my sleep so unless the thunder intervenes I'm having a lie in.

• Options

pete - I am doing the tour of Sufferlandria. Double revolver today. My legs are shattered from yesterday though so it is going to be hard!!

• Options

Well done Mathschick, i want to do tour of sufferlandria but i always forget when its on. Missed it by a day damn it

• Options

Well done to all of you that got out and did something. I did not. Felt a bit rubbish all week and decided a sleep late and chill weekend was in order. I did however get up and go to the meeting point for the cycle club, one of the members won a whole load of water bottles and gels, so he bought them along to give away to members, nice to see people and hope it has given me encouragement to get on the bike.

• Options

BS - you could always catch up and do a double today??image

steady - hope the rest has done you some good

• Options

Hi all,

DB   well done mate.

Maths    dont know how you manage those turbo sessions.

Pete   well done on your 10k.

Nowt for me this week, I wish this cough would FURCOUGH. also had a session with the chiropractor to sort my hips out, they were a bit out of line feel better already, another session on monday night.

• Options

razor - my legs are not happy with me at all image

and the coach at masters swim last night said to me 'is that really the fastest you can go?' as I was trying to do breaststroke fast with incredibly fatigued quads!!

• Options

Maths     at least your legs will get better with rest.

Another session with the chiropractor tonight, she pushed, pulled and jumped all over my hips and then accupuncture, she said "you will feel a little prick" that's not the first time someone has said that to me image hopefully it will be the last one tonight.