Options

Amsterdam Marathon Sunday 16 October 2011

Comments

• Options
    Pegg I meant 'you are right NOT to set your heart on a time...'   doh!
  • Options

I change from miles to kms all the time... Come from the continent so kms make more sense to me but since everyone here talks in miles I've managed to learn to work in both... Marathon is definitely done kms for me though. 

• Options

Morning folks.

Good to see more people on the thread! image

Good Vo2 max sesh for me last night, 3m warm up into a hurricane gale then 5 x 600metre dash's at around 5.43 pace for each, but faster than normal 5k pace but with the wind behind me, no surprise, only interruption this time, bunch of chav neds with a nasty big mutt on a chain.  

Some good running going on out there in the wind, Jeremy, downer about ebing stuck offshore, but least you've got some decent long miles under yer running shorts. Know what you mean about the Dreadmill, had to do 16miles on it back in December when the snow kicked in up here, it was just brutal. Mind was turned tae mince by the end.

Mon - If you felt good and didn't push it then doing the 26.2 isn't such a bad thing, I think it's good for some, not so for others. Top running, thats a long old time on yer feet on yer own, so hats off!

Pegg - That is bloody magic to read. WELL DONE. I remember my 1st run of that sort of distance, couldn't believe I'd done it, you must be stoked. I'm  with Blockbuster, you're spot on not setting a target time, it's totally irrelevant. Just go out and enjoy the race, your 1st marathon is an amazing experience. GOOD LUCK. Oh, and that's good avice from Blacks as well on recovery etc, make sure you do some strething after your run, and as soon as you get in, get some nosh down you (prepare it beforehand), then plonk your bottom half in a cold bath, or blast legs with cold shower (I go for the shower option). I use Deep relief gel on any aches and pains, it's great stuff (and chepaer in tescos etc than it is on this link, I normally get it for about 4 quid): http://www.physioroom.com/product/Mentholatum_Deep_Relief_Gel/2016/37764.html

LS - Cheers! Really, thanks a lot for helping this old dummy out, really appreciate it. I'm gonna follow your advice, keep the Garmin on miles and keep tabs on the Km's and check that in 5km blocks.

It's getting closer now......

• Options
    Mon did something similar on Sunday - went for run that I thought was 22 miles and when my MI Coach said 22 miles I was no where near my finish so on I went, by the end it was 25.8 miles. Best bit is I started at 8.30 pace on grass (first 8 miles) then 10 miles of trail running then 7 on road and by this point I was 7 min p/m without any trouble at all image
    Was going for a 3:25 this year but may change to a 3:15 now. Can't believe its only 4 weeks away image
  • Options

Afternoon all

Some great training going on and more banter on the thread which is always fantastic.

LS21 - sorry you think you bombed run but thats only in comparison to recent running, it was still a good session.  You have put some fantastic runs in recently so maybe been to the well once too often, am sure a bit of rest will put you right.  Also if your mate had the same issue then as you say could be just dehydration, Sunday was quite warm but wind meant you probably didn't notice it as much.

Johnas - 10 miles at MP follwed by 20 miles the next day is impressive, 10 miles at MP in training is very tough, much easier with number on and fresh legs post taper.

Blockbuster - 20 miles at MP in training, I don't know what to say, no way I could get close to that w/o a number on, hats off sir.  Be careful not to overdo it as don't want to leave your legs on the training run.

Pegg - first mara is about completing it not time, make sure you enjoy it, good run on Sunday as well.  I use Boots Ibuprofen gel.  As Neil and BB say cold bath/shower post run will help going forward.

Neil M, top post re recovery and post match nutrition.  6.45mm equates to 4.12m per km so exactly 21 mins for each 5km - so nice and easy to calculate even late in race.  Chavs with a mutt must help upping the pace for you.

JeremyG nice 22, shame you are now off shore but sounds like you have done the mileage.

Mon77 - see comment to Blockbuster above, same applies.

14 miles for me last night at average 7.20mm, back 7 were closer to 7.10mm - yup you guessed it head wind out and tail back. 5 minute intervals today - can't say I am looking forward to themimage.

Keep up the good work folks.

Murph

• Options
    Neil Mac whats a NED mate?
  • Options

Murph - Top run last night, erm, no prizes for guessing whiuch part of the hoof was into the wind! I was chuffed that P&D only had 5 x 600metres for last nights run. 5mins are beasts, good luck! I've a 14miler tonight, gonna do 7 into the gale, 7 with it behind me.

Blocks - Neds mate, bit like Chavs, only wi a Scottish angle (just add extra alcohol and deep fried food intake): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ned_(Scottish)

Last nights group were nothing compared to Sunday's, a coupl've of them, getting torn into the bevvy early doors, Mmmm, yum, Tennants Lager at 10.45 in the morning, classy. image

• Options

Morning people.

Well, since last post things have gine a bit mad for me, started to feel a bit ropey yesterday at lunchtime, and by about 3.30pm was feeling absolutley awful, so sent home from work. My girlfriend had caught some nasty lurgy from a friend of hers kid, and looks like it got passed onto me. Got home, stuck my running gear on, but it was obvious I was just getting worse, temperature soaring, but felt frozen so had a hot shower and to bed. Felt rank all of last night, like mini flu with sore bones etc, then at midnight had what I can describe as the biggest puking for Britain escapade ever (the only time I've been that sick wioot it bein a hangover haha!). Aaaanyway, feel a stack better this am, not sure I'll tackle any running though, had to sack yesterdays 14miler and dont think I'd have it in me to take that on today, and don't see the point in doing a recovery run for the sake of it. Just glad I got this now, and not in a few weeks, as they say, what doesnt kill you makes you stronger so looking on the bright side, at least I've scored a day off work from it haha!

Cheers, hope everyone is fit and lurgy free!image

N.

• Options

Neil- ouch, hope you're feeling better... Like you say- better now than in a couple of weeks.  Make sure you take it easy!

Andy- well done on your 26 miles... at 7min/ mile... nice!  Sounds ridiculously fast to meimage.

Had a bit of an extended run last night.  Got completely lost after a club run (must be the darkness) and ended up miles away from home with no money and no travel card so had no choice but run back... Was totally wiped out and almost fell asleep while eating dinner...

13 easy miles today on the way home with a few @MP thrown in at the end.

• Options
    neil mate take it easy. check your resting heart rate is not too raised before starting back on the running. You'll put your body under too much stress. best rest and get the lurgy out the system.
  • Options
    Neil I have had that bug and I'm only just starting to feel 100% after a couple of weeks.
    I finally got back to training properly yesterday, although did 22 miles (mostly walking) while I was away at the weekend. I figured 22 slow miles was better than nowt under the circumstances. I did have a good excuse of sight seeing around Lyon while doing it though (and map reading... And getting lost)
  • Options

Cheers guys, appreciate it. Foolishly tried a few miles earlier as was bored out my mid sitting in my pad. Only got 2 miles out and knew it wasn't the best idea I'd ever had so jogged/walked back home. Has set me back a little bit, even getting up the stairs earlier was an effort. 2nd time I've been ill in this training schedule, the other half and I picked something on our tour round Spain back in July, spare the details but had to be no more than 10 seconds froma loo haha!

Cabbey - Hope it's not a 2 week job, like I said, my girlfriend caught it from a friends kid but she was only sick for 2 or 3 days (was ill Sunday, bit she got out for a run this am), think it'll pass as I dont feel anywhere near as rough as last nightimage. Good luck navigating round Lyon, sounds a good place to get lost in haha!

More navigational problems for you as well Mon, least you got a few extra miles under yer belt! Never managed to get lost on a run, but had to dive into supermarkets, pubs, bushes for the lav a few times!

Stay healthy people haha! image

• Options

is it safe to get back on the thread, I don't want to catch anything!

On the bright side, all you guys suffering with the lurgy should be over it in good time for the race, those of us still in relatively good health might still have it to come image

My top tip for the day is, if you're going out on a 20M and plan on buying drinks from local shops for your hydration needs, it's probably a good idea to remember to take some money with you.......DOH!!

Ended up more of a pub crawl than a run, as I ended up scrounging free drinks of water from every pub I passed, thankfully everyone was very helpful and glad to help.  or maybe they just wanted me out of their as quick as possible so I'd stop dripping sweat all over their bars image One chap offered to buy me a pint at the 17M mark, was so tempted..........can't remember the last time I refused a free beer, but there's a good chance it wasn't this century!!

That a 10@MP plus 20 this weekend for me, and I dont think i've broken anything which is good, though the last 3 or 4 today were quite hard.  One more 20 next weekend, then that's it for the biggies.

In other news......GET IN THE HOLE!!!!  I won my golf final last weekend, 9 up after 18, then closed it out 8&7.  First 18 was the best round I've ever played, really chuffed to have done it in such a big game.  Many beers were had in celebration imageimageimage I considered it traing for 4 weeks time image

hope everyone else had a good weekends running, those of you not on your sickbeds, not long now......

• Options
    Well I had a sh1te run... 18 miler was going well up to the 14 mile point when I got agonising cramp in my calf. Lasted 5 minutes or so and I did the remaining 4 miles home at a 15:50mm pace... Marvellous image on the plus side... At least it happened now and has forced me to have a sports massage *cowers in the corner*

• Options

cramp - not nice!

hopefully it's nothing more serious than not quite getting your food/drink right today, and nothing serious or permanent.

and even at 15:50 pace all the way round, you'd still be in the bar by early evening image

edit: just realised, prob due to the fact you've been image so I shouldn't worry about it at all, you'll be fit and raring to go come the big day

• Options

Morning peeps

Neil - thanks for the advice on the previous page. I got the P+D book at the beginning of last week and have started applying some of the rules to my training already. it made me realise that perhaps I had indeed been overtraining and so last week was meant to be a recovery week anyway (less volume and intensity) so played it safe and besides a tempo run on Weds, kept everything quite slow.

Stuck by my guns though and did the 24miler as planned yesterday, applying the 20%/10% rule on a sub 3 time. 14miles at MP+20% and last 10miles at MP +10%. legs feel ok today but my knees are completely shot. Gave me a whole new respect for this crazy undertaking. Besides the fact that where I live has been compared by many to an Escher drawing (always seem to be running uphill and ending back at the bottom!) I tried to simulate marathon conditions as best i could - wore the same kit, used gels and hidden sports drinks around the course etc. Glad i did as i've never suffered from groin chaffing before and the constant pounding on my feet has convinced me not to wear my racing shoes as planned and instead stick with my regular more cushioned shoes. it was a real eye opener! Also, as i've never used gels in my life, im looking for recommendations as i used Gu Chomps and i found chewing hard work whilst running - screwed with my breathing patterns. So, thoughts please people!

Looks like everyone else, besides the odd bout of illness, is doing superb. We're all in the same boat more or less and can see light at the end of the tunnel! Only 1 or 2 long runs left for the majority of us. Must say, i'm looking forward to the taper for once! 

• Options

Morning all

24 miles for me yesterday and probably the last monster run... Half marathon next Sunday, then will probably try to squeeze another 20 miles and start easing off... Not looking forward to the taper, I know I will be obsessing about not doing enough.  Not very good at it, much better at overcooking things.

Neil- I take SIS gels, they're much easier to stomach, no chewing necessaryimage

Neil- hope you're fully recovered.

Off to meet caballo blanco today, really looking forward to it.

Happy Monday everyone.

• Options

Morning folks

Neil M, hope you have recovered from bout of illness,enforced rest should freshen the legs up.

Cabbey, sorry to hear about your run, did you take enough fluids on board?  Also it sounds like it was your first run for a while, sports massages are well worth it if you can stand the pain, I have one booked for Thursdayimage.

Ian66 - turning down free beers shows good dedication to the cause, top performance at the golf - I presume you sunk a few in the bar after as well - I'll get my coat.

Johnas - good run sir, sounds like valuable lessons learned.  I use Glide to stop the chaffing and wear undershorts as well to stop the rubbing.  On the gels front I use SIS gels as they are isotonic so don't need water with them, the tropical and blackcurrent flavours aren't bad as gels go. 

I also did my mara dress rehearsal on Sunday, 24 miles at target MP plus 45 seconds, held that pace from start to finish and felt pretty good all the way round, even the last few were ok and felt that I had plenty left in legs and the tank.  Best long run I can recall, shame you can't bottle these runs.  No problems with gels or any of the gear so pleased with that.  I had originally planned to run it 30 seconds per mile slower but had just watched my son win a county tennis tournament taking out some decent players along the way and coming back from a set down to win 8-6 in the third in the final, so was bursting with pride as I set off so pace was a little high but it felt comfortable and just kept that up.  68 miles for the week, one last hard week and then the taper madness commences. 

Oh have also finally booked my flights, am flying back at 9pm Sunday so time for a few scoops in the Hole in the Wall.

Cheers

Murph

• Options

Mon77 - just finished Born to Run, what a man, where is he speaking?  Good miles but don't overcook it.

• Options
    Murph- he's speaking in London tonight in Barbican.  Should be good. Knowing myself I'll come out of it with my head full of ideas about getting into ultras... My OH is already worried...
  • Options

Mon - no intention to run ultra's but am city based, so might see you there if I can get pass out from OH, for anyone else London based and interested its on at 7.30pm at London School for Girls in Barbican, can pay on the door (£10).

• Options

Murph- I'm dragging my OH along... image

See you there hopefully!

• Options
    Good thinking Mon, I have permission so see you there.  I'll be the bloke in the suitimage.
  • Options

Ok, will look out for you.  I'll be there with my OH and a friendimage.

• Options
    just put in my fastest ever 23 miles (even faster than my best time in best marathon) - did a pretty hilly 23 in 2:54 and was starting off at 8.30 pace but by the last few miles was nearer 6.45 pace. Hoping this time i can take this pace into the race this time. One more 20+ miler this weekend then taper down to a congleton half marathon race the weekend before. I want Amsterdam now though!!
  • Options

Ian66 congratulations on your victory in the golf. I have no idea what any of the words and numbers you used mean, it must be some golf code. But I suspect it means you played quite well!

johnas groin chafing...ouch! Bodyglide is the bees knees it is great for the old nipple chafing too. On gels I really struggle with most but I use Honey Stinger chews and you get used to chewing and running but you do need a few practice runs with whatever you choose.

Less than 4 weeks now eh! It's pretty real. I had a good recovery week last week and finished with a fast 14 miler at 10 seconds per mile faster than MP. This week will see another 20 miler but also lots of mileage in the week and 6 runs rather than my normal 5 (getting a track session in tomorrow evening).

andyc209 are you going to race that half the week before the mara? Or go at MP?

• Options
    not sure - think i might race it as in previous marathons my biggest problem has always been strength in my legs over the last 6 miles or so. In years previous i have run lots of 16-18 miles up very big hills (one is the 4th steepest road in the UK) in training but this time around i have done more 21+ on hilly but not as severe as previous. I also did the Paris and London on consecutive weekends and felt really good in London when i thought i would be terrible, so i think one final big push and max out the lungs is the way i am going to go. In between i will do a couple of gentle 5 milers to loosen up but not much else.
  • Options

Murph - good running to you too sir with the 24 miler. That's some heavy mileage for last week so if you're legs are feeling fresh, fair to say you're in a good place right now. Fair play for flying back the same day too - don't think i'd be able to cope with that!

Mon - thanks for the SIS tip. will give those a go for sure. Unlike you, i'm looking forward to the taper for once!! Hope the talk was good?

Blockbuster - wow. that's good running. i cant remember but are you following a P+D schedule too?

andyc - would you recoemmned one last race then before 'Dam? I know it's on the P+D schedule (can't remember which week) and I've been given the heads up for a nice 10k over in Slough on 02 Oct that I'm tempted by as I'd love to break the 38 min mark before Amsterdam. is it worth a go do you think??

• Options

Johnas- yeah, the talk was good.  I really enjoyed it... Quite a good turnout as well.  Wasn't sure what to expect as there wasn't any publicity but quite a few people showed up.  Too many wearing suits so no luck spotting Murphimage

Track for me tonight which I always dread... and no running buddies tonight as they're all doing Berlin mara on Sunday so tapering away at the moment.  Oh well... will persevere.

I'm also planning a 10k on 2nd October... and the first cross country of the season on 8th... should be ok or is it too close?  XC is only 6km...

• Options

don't you just hate it when you switch on your garmin just as you're about to go for a run and the batteries are flat.......image

so i'm now sat here feeling tired & hungry, listening to the rain lash down on the roof while I wait for it to charge up for my 10 miler, whilst the smell of delicious home cooking wafts in from  the kitchen.

this race had better be worth it!!!!