Options

Sunday 29th June

Am I first?

What: long run when I get up before the pencils get sharpened.

Why: not?

Comments

• Options
    Ah, the correct site!

Silly website got it wrong!
  • Options
    Some one else not gone to bed yet NL.
    I'll be doing the same as you.

What - Long slow run of about 2.15 hrs
    Why - Autumn marathon training
    Last hard - Fri
    Last rest - Tues

I think I might enter a race next weekend to gauge what state of fitness I'm at. It'll be my first race since Kingston, 3 weeks before London where I came in 26th and got 3rd M40. I don't think I'll get any where near the front but it'll be interesting to see where I am in terms of fitness.

May the lord of the PBs be smiling on all of you racers today.
  • Options
    Just got in from Northern Social- I am however plannig a swim tomorrow evening with possibly abike ride beforehand.
  • Options
    BodBod ✭✭✭
    What - 4 miles easy, to site of recent 5m race and then faster circuit, followed by easy run home 2 or 4m depending on legs.

Why - Seemed like a good idea
    Last Hard - Thur
    Last rest - Sat
  • Options
    What: 12M steady before the sun gets up too high.
    Why: it's Sunday morning.
    Last hard: Tue
    Last rest: Thur & Fri

• Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    What:10K race
    Why:10K race
    Last hard Tuesday
    Last rest : Wed/Thur/Friday
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    It's 13 miles 192 yards @ 1/2 marathon pace. Unfortunately I won't get it done before the sun gets too high as the race starts @ 11 o'clock.

So revised race predictions as I don't run well in heat -

Under 1:17 - miracle

1:17-1:18 - a v. good run

1:18-1:19 - fair enough

1:19-1:20 - a bit disappointed but what can I expect in the conditions

1:20 - v.disappointed

Will report later.

Good luck other racers.
  • Options
    Morning all. One day hope to be able to do the distances and times you do, But pending that day...

What: Ran 3 miles without even thinking. Oh am I happy!!!
    Why: Motivated by Thursday's run and times, though time was a bit slowere today.
    Last Run: Thursday
    Next Run: Tuesday

Need to ask you guys about improving my distance to 5 miles by the end of August. Speed still fairly slow.

• Options
    Morning all,

What: Very early start to beat the blazing sun here in Ankara. 14 miles steady in 1hour 45 done and dusted.

Why: Weekly long

Last hard: Thursday

Last rest: Wed

Simon
  • Options
    For me, rest, recuperation and a 2.5 mile stroll to pub and back for family lunch!

Last hard - yesterdays race
    Last rest - Friday

Good luck all racers
  • Options
    Morning,

What: Long run 2 hoursish
    Why: September marathon training

Last hard: Friday
    Last rest: Saturday

Good luck to all you runners

TallGal, well done on the 3 miler, just add a bit each time you go out now and before you know it you'll be at 5 miles+
    Take it easy and don't rush things.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Morning all,
    well at the moment I see an overcast sky here, but will it stay that way for the next 4hrs!

What:10 mile race
    Why:county and club championship race. I'm top of the women at the moment but so many races left and today will bring everyone out because it's so local!
    Last hard:last week because of having a bad back I've not been able to train properly this week.
    Last rest:Friday

As I type here comes the sun!! So race predictions taking the heat into consideration are:

Under 1.09-very unlikey

1.09-1.10-excellent run and a pb!

1.10-1.11-v.good run and very close to pb!

1.11-1.12-more likely in heat, happy!

Over 1.72 acceptable but slowest all year
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    sorry should be 1.12 not 1.72
  • Options
    Good luck Hilly, hope you stay top of the women.

SIT, must be hard planning around mediterranian temps.

Monique, gossip from Northern Social?

What: swim, not sure what else.
    Why: long run yesterday and have done a lot of hard running in the past 7 days.

Look forward to race reports, must do some work for an hour now.
  • Options
    Hi Peeps!

what: long run, 18k.

Good luck to all racing

Have a great day!
  • Options
    Sorry, forgot to ask something:

At what pace do you do your long run? I read that it should be at marathon pace but , isn't it too slow? How can it prepare you for racing long distances if it is so slow?
  • Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Spud, opinion varies (see numerous other forums).
    I tend to alternate between racing (10m/HM/15-20m), easy runs (15s slower than marathon time) and at marathon pace.
    Personally I think you need to run ata target pace for both practical and pschological reasons, but as I said, opinion is divided.
    Good luck Hilly and all other racers.

What, was aiming to do the pre dawn 16 miler but opted to sleep instead (:D)
    so tonight I'll do 1h45 easy (14m or so).

See ya
  • Options
    morning all

good luck to those racing today & looking forward to the reports....

well done happyrunning on your performance on yesterday's thread.

what: just done first bit - v easy 25 minutes with Matthew. Long(ish) run to come (~8½ miles) in about 45 mins.

why: Normal Sunday routine when not interfered with by cricket.

last hard day: Fri
    last rest day: Sat

Sun felt warm when it came out earlier. Wonder what it'll be like by midday?
  • Options
    I'm not long back from my long run and it's already realy hot out there. Good luck racers.

Awww Spud,
    long runs should be run at 50/65% of MHR.
    Long runs are to build stamina and endurance not speed. Alos to teach your body to take fuel from fat supplies and not only from the muscles themselves.

See the long run as the foundation stone of all of your other training runs. It ain't the prettiest part of training but it is the key to faster running.
  • Options
    Pizza man - your words are the extra kick I needed to get me out of the door doing my planned 10 miles in the heat.

Cheers and see you later....

• Options
    Not much gossip I am afraid, did get to talk triathlons with Will a bit and learnt the vital fact that they are called fins and not flippers- phew I could have been rumbled as a rank amatuer next swim- drill conversation I had.
  • Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

What - 102 minutes fairly steady
    Why - Wanted to do a long run but far too hot for a 2 hours plus - plus felt quite heavy so opted for just keeping going at what was probably just over 7 minute miling until I reached the end of the path along the Derwent and then turned round and ran back. May go for a cycle this afternoon if I can get my new computer fixed up on the bike. Finding training quite hard over the last 2 weeks or so but as I've got about 2 months before tapering for the marathon I need to step it up now.
  • Options
    thank you very much Dustin and Pizza Man
  • Options
    Afternoon - did a 10k race this am (Thame). Too hot 4 me, but did it in 45.35 (I think), which is my best yet and as I've had a dodgy stomache all we, I'm pleased.
    However I planned on doing a 16-18 miler today, do you think I should still do a nice slow long run (in the evening) - or skip it till later in the week? I am trying to train 4 the Wolverhampton Marathon.
  • Options
    Did the 8½ mile plus course in just under 62½ mins.

Fairly weary effort, especially over the last couple of miles. Probably the result of the early easy outing with elder son.

A beautiful summer's day - warm enough to dehydrate (if you're not careful) but not enough to overheat - there's a nice cool breeze out there.

There was a farm which I spotted on my run with Matthew this morning, displaying a "Raspberries - PYO" sign on its gate - think we'll be spending some time there this afternoon......
  • Options
    Afternoon All,
    well it's an absolute belter here in Notts, baking hot, and has been since early doors.

Hilly, BR + all other racers, hope you had a cracking time.

Banksie, great going, nice one and for goodness sake don't even joke about doing an 18 miler on the same day as a 10K race, that's utterly barking!

What: Relentlessly undulating 14M a.k.a Notts AC Papplewick run.
    Why: Longish one for Sunday
    Last hard run: Definitely this morning, it was a scorcher.
    Last rest day: Friday

Solid run this morning, got round in ~1:43, I'm always well pleased with anything under 1:45 for this course.

Enjoy the sun!
  • Options
    Well done Banksie btw - especially after your bad guts - but skip the long run this afternoon & have a rest.
    I'd leave it till Tuesday if possible - forecast to be cooler & wetter by then.
  • Options
    If i had done a 10k in 45 minutes this morning i would be taking it easy for the rest of the day at least. Especially if it was a pb!
  • Options
    Can anybody help!
    I am getting really despondent with my running in general. The last race i entered was silverstone 1/2 (1.37) and the next is the british 10. the problem is i don't seem as fit or capable of running at that pace recently. I am not doing anything different training wise: (3 times a week 1 tempo, 1 fast - 5 mile, 1 slow - 10 mile). the only discernible differences to back in april are new trainers and a switch to shift working.
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    WEll I am back from 10K it is really hot out there and I struggled between hayfever and asthma but I did it in 64 minutes.I so wanted too do it in 60 minutes but it is my 1st 10 K so a PB.

There were some hills which kill me.

The marshalls were brilliant supporting you when you needed it most, and the crowd were fantastic too a really good day out and the kiddies race was fantastic, too see and cheer them on they all did so well.I also got too meet up with some forumites Greeny/Madison and Parddu.

WP
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression