Options

Sunday 29th June

Comments

• Options
    Well done WP! My first 10k took me 67 mins..........and that was a flat course!!
  • Options
    today ran the North Downs 30k - will report on it tomorrow as too knackered - it was very hilly and extremely hot
  • Options
    Well done WP!

An interesting day in East Yorkshire and North Lincolnshire (how many other races straddle 2 counties except FLM)?

After dropping kiddies of at my mother's in Hull, managed to get stopped on my way to the race by a policeman with a speedgun. I thought the dual carriageway leading out of Hull was a 40 limit. Apparently not for another 200 yrds. As I was doing 38mph he offered me a £60 fine and 3 points or attendance at a Speed Awareness Workshop @ 10am.

I explained I was about to race so he gave me a 1.15 time and told me one of the reasons they were focussing on that bit of road was to get people to slow down for the racers up ahead. A fair cop.

Not the first time I was going to be made to reflect on unintentionally going too fast today.

On to the race. Already v.hot @ 10.15 during warm up. Legs felt good after an easy week. I was not expecting a pb but wanted to be competitive against certain clubmates.

To that end, first 3 miles felt like marathon pace as I ran with our 2 good vets who normally beat me.

3 mile - 16:46!! 5.35 ave - quicker than 10k pace and it's been uphill!

But feeling good and stick with them, dropping a Beverley runner who is better than me.

No mile markers until 7 now - last 4 miles @ 6:08 average - more like it. My clubmates have pulled away and I contemplate 6 lonely hot miles ahead.

Mile 7 to 8 - 5:36 - yeah right!!

Mile 8 to 9 - 6:10 - overtake a straggler from City of Hull AC who has set off even more optimistcally than me.

Mile 10 and 11 - 6:15 ave - big hill included, not too bad then

Mile 12 - 2 runners closing on me, including the Beverley lad. I've got nothing left to fight them off - 6:34 (uphill drag). I'm paying now for the fast start. Nobody in sight behind me, no pb in prospect - start counting down the minutes

Mile 13 - 6:02, start to drop downhill

Last 192 yards - 42 secs. See finish line and realise if I step on it I'll duck under 79 mins and I do it by 5 secs - 78:55.

Plus points -

1. Stayed with better runners for 6 and a half miles.

2.Did not blow up as badly as I have in the past.

3.Took on fluids (which I never do in a half marathon) and had mild stomach cramps, but nothing I can say slowed me down much.

4. Closed the gap between myself on training partner from about 3 mins to 90 secs from last marathon 4 weeks ago.

Minus points

1. Set off too quick

2. Could not hold off challenge, dropping 2 places in the last mile ( which I rarely do) and they overtake me on an uphill section (which rarely happens).

Still, I've learnt a lot today and would give it a 7/10.

Then on to Hessle Police Station for what turned out to be a mature discussion and informative half hour on speed limits. The other drivers there had all done the same thing - assumed a 40 when it wasn't. No excuses and I felt the police dealt with the whole matter very well.
  • Options
    tiny tiatiny tia ✭✭✭
    Hi all
    Well done to everyone who raced/trained today.
    I did the Southampton 10k and found it a struggle with the heat and humidity.
    I also paid the price for starting too fast and then had no extra oomph at the end. However i did get a pb of 50:40 but was disappointed with my effort.
    I think feeling run down most of the week had an effect this weeekend so must pull myself up in future to rest well

Happy running to you all
  • Options
    Well here is a report on the 30k North Downs Run.

Set off at 6:45am to catch god knows how many trains and buses, but finaly arrived with about 40 mins to spare, for the 10:30am start.

The sun was out in force, and knew that the run was going to be very hard, I deciced to wear my camelbak as fluids was needed on the run, and was told that there were only 7 water stations.

The race started at 10:30, and we surged forward, only to find that 30 seconds later there was a big gathering of runners as the lane went into single file through the woods, then shortly after along came a stile, so then another massive jam of people, then finally we were off, but again only in single file, missed the 1st km marker but the second came along at 11:10, then decided to not worry about time and just enjoy race.

The single file lasted ages and you were only running as fast as the persone in front of you, because of the mass of people there was no way to pass other runners, it was that tight on the paths that your legs was brushing against the bushes etc.

The veiws were fantastic, very scenic, running through corn and poppy fields, woodland, dirt tracks, fields of straw the ground was very uneaven in places and I was so cautious not to get an injury, so was being extra careful on the decents.

It was a very hard run, we had very tough hills, I counted 8 stiles to climb over, and about 6 gates to run through, from about the 9th km mark we never let any other runners pass, just kept uping the pace and flying up the hills, it was downhill that I struggled on.

Here is a quick km and time comparison:
    1.?
    2.11.10 = 1+2km
    5.?
    6.11.01 = 5+6km
    7.?
    8.?
    9.16.46 = 7,8+9km
    13.4.47 Felt good for the next 10-12km
    22.?
    23.10.22 = 22+23km

Time spent on the run was 2:34:18 and HR avg of 162 and HR max 194bpm, came in at position 80th.

Will do this race again, good support and good marshaling.
  • Options
    Just adding some extras.........

Loads of stinging nettles, and was bitten on back of my calf, bloody painful, not sure actually if I was stung by a bee!!

This was also my first off road experience as far as a race is concerened ( 80% off road )enjoyed it alot, completly different to what I normally run, far too hot though for this distance, but thought I handled it well.

Well done BR, sounds a good one, that heat can sure make a difference, time for a nice refreshing drink;-)

• Options
    Glad you enjoyed it Speedie. Sounds like my idea of hell - off road running.

Well done!
  • Options
    oooooh fab racing!
    I did speedwork

Only managed 3 intervals of ikm at 10kph(speedy, eh), then 3 at 500 metres

Ill get there
  • Options
    paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    hippo - was that in the gym? great - you are doing it !!

i've done nothing today after a 5 mile race last night (Sticker, nr St Austell) didn't get home til 10.30pm, cooked steak & loadsa veg for myself and the "babysitter" (semi-detached hubby) drank half a bottle of wine with it - and that after 2 pints in the bar after the race (I may have been drunk in charge of a push-bike for 3 miles after my lift back ... it doesn't take much these days)

Congrats to Welsh Poppy on her First 10K!!

• Options
    Sorry welsh Poppy, well done on your first 10k, heat and hills eh, a tough one!

Well done and keep up the good work.

Speedie.
  • Options
    Plodding hippo - Well done. Keep plugging away you will see the benefits.

Well done to all the racers.

Aww spud - on question of long run - there really are 2 schools of thoughts on speed it should be done at. One school tends to say it does not really matter and all that counts is time you spend on your feet which should be same as your intended race time. Others say particularly if you are looking for fast time that you should keep the pace up and propose either 1 minute or so per mile slower than your tenkm pace or 10-20% slower than your marathon pace. I did my last marathon training programme following the first school of thought and did not really care too much about speed of long runs and was very happy with my finish time and did not feel too wiped out after the long runs but for my October marathon will try the second school.

I would personally say to you if you are getting used to doing long runs for the first time follow the first school of thought and after a while think about moving to the second one.

Hope that helps and would be interesting to see what others think.

Simon
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    BR..I thought the Humberside police might be better off controlling the mafia youth of Bransholme in East Hull rather than pouncing on errant motorists! Good to hear you took it so well, and splendid effort on a less than ideal day for long distance races.

Well done as well to Speedie, Tiny Tia, Banksie; and stick with it Welsh Poppy you will soon break 60 mins for 10K.

Speedwork for me today, first, run 3 miles to school track. My 10K pace for 400m is about 94/95 seconds so I decide on 12 x 400m at 84 secs with half a lap recovery. Very encouraged to average 83 secs and felt good enough to do 16 laps instead of 12. Then ran 3 miles home.

Why? I have an important 10K road race in 10 days, 2 days after that a club 1 mile track race, and 7 days after that a club handicap event, 10K on the track. I presume that training on the track will help with both pace and mental preparation with the latter two events.

Enjoy the rest of the day everyone.
  • Options
    SticklessStickless ✭✭✭
    Makes great reading all! Well done!

What: Sailing, so no running. Just a club race but v. rewarding. Me and my crew came 2nd (out of about 10) in light airs. Pursuit race, so we had the satisfaction of seeing the club champion relegated to contemplating our stern from a respectful distance. Something akin to a Mini keeping the Feraris at bay.

Last week's second place away from home could have merely been a reflection on the competition, however...

Definitely the donkey's day.

Sober up and get that last run of the week in tomorrow.

Bye folks, keep cool.
  • Options
    Well done racers especially on PB's Welsh Poppy & tiny tia.
    Speedie, I think the North Downs is great, I shall be there next year, it was only a late night [already planned] last night that stopped me this year.

Awww Spud, I agree with Simon. Get used to running long first & don't worry about speed. It will come when you get stronger.

Watch some great athletic's this afternoon.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Lots of well dones in store, BR-cracking run, Welsh Poppy-excellent first 10k, Speedie-sounds a fantastic run, the kind I like and much respect doing it in the heat! All other races, well done all of you!!

Sorry I had a disaster today-DNF!!!!!

I knew I shouldn't have left the house this morning, when I looked at the pollen count. But I've been taking regular medicine and took my inhaler before so thought with the breeze I might be ok!

11am start really is too late at this time of year. The sun was beating down strongly, but I lined up with all the others and set off. Reached the first mile in 6.50 and I was feeling tight chested. A friend came up beside me and started speaking to me, all I could do was wheeze. Got to the 2 mile mark, another 6.50 mile and started to feel really dizzy and unwell, breathing was awful, so I stopped. Gave it a few seconds and tried to go again, but no such luck. So to cut a long story short-NIGHTMARE!!

However, not to be beaten and being a stubborn obsesive, compulsive person I went out and ran 14 miles late afternoon, having just got back. OK, it was a slow run, but made me feel better.

It's been an awful week for my running this week, so thank goodness tomorrow is a new week, so fresh start!

Not sure if I'll race through July and August I don't think I could stand the humiliation of more DNF's!!

Happy running all!
  • Options
    Well done everyone - Speedie, BR, Welsh Poppy, Tiny Tia...
    What: Trent Park, Triffic 10k - 45:05. Second vet, third woman in the race... Hot, hilly, and you guessed it, a teensy bit hungover!

Only one run this week and prior to that training has been a bit slack. But this is the proverbial kick up the backside I needed. Coming second vet was great, and marathon training starts tomorrow.

Hope you stay top gal Hilly - look forward to hearing your 10 mile report
  • Options
    Bad luck Hilly, don't dwell on the race it's just one of those thing's.
    Great for getting out & running this afternoon!
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    There was also a running casualty (female) in the race, ambulance with flashing blue lights. Not sure of details, but hope she is ok!!
  • Options
    WOW, what a bril day for most. Congrats, & nice one US. Keep me informed with the Marathon training - which one are your doing?
    Didnt go out again, just back from a nice cold guiness at the Pheasant,Brill (the place), wanted to stay all pm, but gotto get ready for awful Monday again.
  • Options
    Hilly Very sorry to hear about your run, but its been very tough this last month or so with the hayfever and all.

Well done to you too Ultra Snicks, again hot and hilly always deserves a congrats.........oh and a hangover!

Well done.

See you there next year Big Tim.
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Hilly
    Sorry too hear about your race but the pollen was high and the heat was awful.

I am sure this week will be a good one for you and well done for going and doing 14 miles this afternoon!!

Thank goodness my next 2 5K are in the evening!!
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys, I won't dwell on it!!

Well done Snicks, good performance again!!
    I'm still top female even with a DNF, but not for long as my stronger club mate is really on form!!
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Commiserations Hilly, we all have a bummer once in a while. Good on yer for getting out later.
  • Options
    Wow! Some great training runs and races today. Well done all.

Grimsby 5 today. Very hot, little wind, so knew it would be a struggle. Have only done 2 5 milers before. One last week at Boston, and a couple of years ago in Aston (near Stevenage). Started much too fast, 6.29 first mile, so it was already inevitible that I was going to blow up. Decided to try to hang on for as long as I could.

So, it was fairly enjoyable. Horrible industrial estate, but flat and reasonably traffic free. Two lap course, so it was good to get the crowd support (thanks Keep Smiling and other forumites, and my family)which really lifted me on the second lap. Scraped under 35 minutes again, in 34.34. That's a PB by 5 seconds, and 20 seconds better than last week. Sounds OK, but then my 10 mile PB is 68.32 so I must have done at least one faster 5 miler in that!! Still, a PB is a PB.

Hope you all had a good weekend.
  • Options
    Sorry about yours though Hilly. I've had a few like that.
  • Options
    Bad luck Hilly. Glad to hear your still top. Well done on your PB Fat Squirrel. Banksie - I'm doing the Abingdon Marathon in October. Might do Luton in December and then an Ultra in Ireland in March next year.
  • Options
    An interesting time to log on....

V sorry about the DNF Hilly - as a non-sufferers I simply don't have a clue what it's like to be reduced to wheezing in such conditions, but it doesn't sound very pleasant.

FS, Snicks, Speedie, Welsh Poppy and Barnsley - all super efforts.

Congrats on the PBs WP and FS

Speedie - the single file stretches must have been pretty frustrating - or were they, given the distance you had to run?

BR - no regrets I hope? That's exactly how I'd have approached the race, and b*ll*cks to negative splits! I'd prefer to know I'd given it everything and possibly just got my pacing wrong, rather than hold back and wonder what might have been.

The raspberry farm wasn't open yet. But we found a lovely organic farm just a mile away, growing 57 varieties of strawberries hidden amongst the weeds (of course) - very nice.
  • Options
    thank you very much Stranded in Turkey and Big Tim.

Congratulations to all that raced well today.

Sorry to hear that, Hilly. I hope you recover quickly.
  • Options
    Welsh Poppie, excellent going on your first 10K, you picked quite a day for it. Well done.

angelis39 + Speedie, amazing, completing 30K in todays warm temps would be an incredible achievement, racing one is staggering, racing one off-road is mind-boggling, amazed and in awe!

BR, brilliant running, a sub-79 min 1/2M with the heat as it was today is brilliant going. You should be well-pleased, certainly indicates you're in great shape and heading for a new set of PB's once the weather cools off a little, Great stuff.

Tiny Tia, great going, that's an outstanding run in difficult conditions. Nice one.

Stickless, sounds like you made the sensible choice and got out on the water today, second place is fantastic, well-pleased for you.

Hilly, really sorry to hear that. A DNF is never fun, but it beats the hell out of collapsing, so you definitely made the right decision to call it a day and come back to fight another day. Mind you, you didn't quite wait for another day, 14M this afternoon is solid stuff!

Snicks, second vet is awesome, mind you after Connemara I always expect you to finish second or better! CONGRATS

FS, good on yer, another fine performance in what were seriously hot conditions, brilliant.

• Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Well done FS on a good time on what sounds like a horrible course! Very similar to my 5 mile pb.

You are all such kind people on this forum!!