Options

Windsor Half-Marathon

Comments

• Options
    I'm not a Runner's World subscriber so it won't let me even look at it never mind enter it image
  • Options
    Mr KMr K ✭✭✭

LWJ - It does let me see anything either......a quick note to someone in RW Towers I think...

Anyone - What`s this event (& course) like? 

• Options

Lovely course in the Great Park. Undulating... some tough (ish) hills if you're not preparred for them.

Sells out quickly so worth entering a.s.a.p if you are interested.

Go directly to the event site for more details and entry online and postal

• Options

Quite right too!

More RW content for the subscribers please RW - too many freeloaders on the forums image

• Options

Did this last year - just make sure you get there early - parking was a nightmare. We left 1/5hrs to do a 45min journey and I made the start by 3mins!

Course was hillier than expected too....
  • Options
    StuTStuT ✭✭✭

Good race to do great atmosphere, go direct to website online system via

www.runwindsor.com

• Options

I'm in!

I've entered this to stop me doing an Autumn Marathon image

Will have to add some hill work when I start training.

• Options

Hi Little Nemo - I've popped in 'to liven things up'image.

This looks a good one to do, nice scenery but not too sure about the hills.  It's on same day as New Forest Half (and Full) marathon so will have to make my mind up quickly.

Will have to see how my knee behaves so maybe settle for GSR in October for now.

• Options

Hello again Green Fairy image

It's a bit quieter here than the BM thread but it's early days yet.

I've done the New Forest Half a couple of times, great course and you get to see ponies. Beware though it is a bit hilly. Good luck with your knee, which reminds me I really must start doing my physio exercises again...

164 days to go! image

• Options
    I did this years ago, and enrolled for 2011 too.  I can remember a few small climbs but the last mile is amazing, downhill and running towards Windsor castle; fantastic views!
  • Options
    Downhill finish - cool! image
  • Options
    I did this one two years ago. I was so unseasonably hot that people were dropping like flies on the hills. They're supposed to have toned down the hills, so god knows what it was like before. Parking was a nightmare, and the starting time, around lunchtime, isn't the most congenial. The other thing was being given a small cup only half filled with water at the end, though there were copious amounts of lucozade (which I detest). Nice place, though.
  • Options

I don't mind it starting at 1pm as it'll make it easier for me to get there by train.

I'm hoping that training on hills through the summer will get me ready for the conditions. Hope they have water stations though!

Haven't raced a half for ages - interested to see how close I can get to my 2:12 PB...

• Options

Little Nemo - I've done the New Forest half and that first hill goes on and on and on!!

Windsor is new to me so attractive for that reason.  All depends on how the knee behaves.  Maybe the hills will be too much.

I used to dirve through the New Forest frequently enroute to Isle of Wight from Taunton to visit mum.  Liddle biddy baby ponies will be about soon if not already.  So cute.

• Options

Does anyone know where I can see the route? Novice runner and first half marathon so i'm wanting as much info as possible.

Thanks

• Options
    Monty39Monty39 ✭✭✭
    I did this last year, great course, lovely scenery and nice to beat a Royal on the way round ( Eugenie or Beatrice, not sure which...recognized her mum tho ! ) Race is on roads through the park all the way round so its easy going. Bit of a bottle neck at start so takes a while to get pace going.

There are 3 hills at miles 10 & 11 though just as you think you are for a PB they hit you with venom. Then its onto the straight mile to finish....and be warned it is a FULL mile.... you can see the finish so you go off like a rocket thinking you have finished...and you still have half a mile to go ! I was on for a sub 2 hour until i hit the hills !

Parking is crap ! but get there early and park near the entrance if possible.
  • Options

Hi Darren, here's a link to the map on the Windsor website:

Course

Thanks for the info re. the finish, Jason. I hate it when you can see the finish from miles away but at least I'll be prepared!

Had a lovely run this morning along the canal near me. Got to see some goslings - so cute and fluffy!

• Options
    If anyone can't run & is happy to sell on their place please do let me know.  Poor organisation means I missed general sale.
  • Options

How does this course compare with the reading half marathon?

I ran reading in 95 mins and was wondering whether going under 90 mins was feasible for the first time at this course? If someone has done both, how do they compare for speed, crowd, organisation, hills, terrain?

And I live in reading and it sounds like I should get the train rather than drive. Is the start walkable from windsor training station? Thanks

• Options

Windsor is a bit hillier than Reading and so probably a couple of minutes slower.

Its about a mile walk from the the train station to the start.

• Options

Hello everyone!

Just did my first week of training, using a modified Hal Higdon one. I've added some hill sessions to make the hills seem easier on the day, hopefully...

Has anyone else started training yet?

11 weeks to go image

• Options

Hi everyone

I'm in.  Doing it as part of my preparation for the Amsterdam marathon in October.  I ran Reading  in just under 1h45 min and would love to go quicker this time but it looks like it might be tough with all the hills.  Well, I'll give it a go hills or no hillsimage.

Happy running!

• Options
    The reading was awesome and the best crowd support but scenic. I would say Windsor
  • Options

Hello image

Second week of training completed but I did miss a session. I did hills on Saturday - ouch and then couldn't quite drag myself out for my planned 6 miles on Sunday. Just too tired and achy! Must try harder this week.

I've never done Reading, may have to put it on my to do list.

10 weeks to go image

• Options

Hi All, image

Thanks for the info, what hill training are you doing?

• Options

Whoever said it is a downhill finish is wrong, did it last year and yes you go down a nice hill and then it starts to go back up again.

Its a lovley course not a car in sight & great support.

I didnt find the parking an issue at all. 

• Options

My running club organises hill training so I've just gone along with what they've been doing. So far we've had:

• Kenyan Hills - 30 mins of continuous up and down hills
    • Pace work - running at 10k, 5k and marathon pace while someone blows a whistle
    • Downhill - learning to do mid-foot landing while running downhill. Found this really difficult, don't think I've mastered it yet!

Otherwise if you're doing a DIY session you could try picking a hill and running up and down it several times. You should aim to run hard up the hill and recover on the down bits. You should also do a good warm up/cool down at the beginning/end of the session as well, maybe half a mile to a mile in distance.

• Options
    I will be running my first half marathon here .... and as I only started running at the ripe old age of 54 a couple of months ago its going to be and education I guess.

Will be running with my son who will no doubt be waiting for me at the finish line for hours taking the p***.

Must admit finding the training hard even tho I'm not trying for anythig special time wise hopefully a sub 2:15 so will be well behind you lot image

Mind you the training is not helped by the fact I live in Southern Spain in the the mountains lolo
  • Options
    I have a number if any one would like to run, as I now can't, I can see one member looking? but can not message you- If you still want it let me know by tonight and I will post first class.