Options

Dublin Marathon 2011

Comments

• Options
    adog woof wrote (see)

I think there's a minor alteration to the course this year - a different road is being used through the Phoenix Park, but elevation is unaffected. Does anyone know anything else about this? 

Yes, instead of taking the narrow path up past the zoo and out onto Chesterfield Avenue (the main road in the Phoenix Park) we'll sweep around the back of the park and avoid Chesterfield where there's a large section of road works.

It looks like the elevation will be almost identical but the distance will be a little different so I imagine the start or finish line will move by a few yards to accommodate this.

• Options
    Hi guys

I just found this forum and I am doing the dublin marathon for a the first time and was wondering if anyone had any advice/tips regarding the event/course?
    Is the course fast? I am looking to PB and am hoping it will be a good course to do it on!!
    Many thanks
    R2R
  • Options

Hey R2R, you can view the course profile here -> http://dublinmarathon.ie/img/profile2011.gif. I cant give any advise on the course, as this wil be my first Dublin too. Some others on here should be able to provide some guidance.

30 days to go and I'm getting excited !! - I ran a little 6 miler today at lunch and now have a slight niggle on the hip, hopefully nothing and will pass. I've clocked up roughly 500 miles so far in my schedule and panicking slightly. You know what's it like, start freaking out with every little sore espically so close to race day.

Planning a 13 miler this weekend, followed by my final 20 next then taper mode. God help everyone around me. This will be my 3rd Marathon this year then stepping up to Ultra distances in 2012.

• Options
    ‎3/4 Marathon today in Athlone with loads of hills at the end
    First 1/4 1:00:06
    Second 1/4 0:59:28
    Third 1/4 1:05:11
    3/4 Marathon time 3:04:44
    Over 12 minutes quicker than last year and I hurt now
    Dublin Marathon 4 Weeks tomorrowimage
  • Options
    Did Athlone in 2.47 yesterday and found it very very difficult. Dublin will be my first marathon and I have down 2 halfs (1.47 pbP, a 16, 17, 18 and 2 * 20 in training. Trying to get unnder 4 on the day. Wondering if anyone has a view on whether I should taper down now or do another longe one this weekend.
  • Options
    Does anyone know when the race numbers get sent out? also i'm in the UK so do I need to collect over there?

No clue! Looking forward to this event now, the guys in the local runing shop told me how mint it was and how great the crowds are! Really looking forward to it now.
  • Options
    Hi runspudrun. You will need to collect your race number and chip at the expo here in Dublin. It's held in the RDS just a few minutes outside Dublin city centre and it's open on Saturday 29th and Sunday 30th.
  • Options

@runspusrun, the numbers are available for collection from the exp at the RDS in Dublin on Saturday and Sunday. I'm also in the UK, so am planning to get to Dublin early enough on the Saturday to pick it up then and relax on Sunday

training wise, did another 20 miler yesterday, but it was really hot over here, so struggled quite a bit, and did it a lot slower than previous weeks.(as in about 3.25, compared to usual 3 hour)

Have one more long run next weekend, and then it tapers down, which I'm quite looking forward to.

Can't believe it's just four weeks today!

Martin

• Options
    Cheers for the replies! I get there Saturday so hopefully will pick up on Sunday.

I'm on my taper for a marathon on Sunday Just a couple of easy runs this week. Then I'll be recovering / keeping up some runs in the weeks before Dublin.
  • Options
    not long now!! did a 20 miler on Saturday after having to take 10 days off with bad back...must be a sign of getting old!! I was worried about the run but it turned out to be surprisingly good at 3 hours 06 and feeling quite good at the end of it.  Am now really looking forward to the day, lets hope the weather is fine and everyone enjoys an injury free run up to the day!
  • Options
    Just a little reminder for anyone who's still sitting on the fence....Dublin Marathon Entries Close Today - October 3rd @5pm
  • Options

Congratulations Jim and awills on your runs in Athlone.

Braceface I was also suffering with a bad back last week. Missed 2 runs but managed to get 2 sessions in the gym (not the same though.)

With the aid of biofreeze, stretching and a foam roller did a 7 mile on Friday, 6 miles on Saturday and 21 miles on Sunday. Not a twinge feltimage and i felt stronger at the end of the run than i did at the start. My back only felt stiff after I had been sleeping or sitting down for a long time. Perhaps i should just run all dayimage

Just got back from an easy 5 miles. Will try to get  22 miles in on Sunday then the Cardiff half marathon the following Sunday then taper.

Starting to get excited and a little nervous now.

Good luck all. 

• Options

Hi all.

I too am doing the Dublin Marathon on 31st October. Unfortunately I have not prepared for the race as well as I should of, and am now panicking about whether I will actually finish! I have several people coming over to cheer me on and really don't want to let them down. I have managed to get in a couple of 15 milers in training, although whilst doing a 16 miler the other day my legs totally went. Plan to attempt a 20 miler on Tuesday as a final long run. Should I be taking food on these long runs, i.e energy gels, to stop my legs going again? Do you think it is possible to complete the race considering the training I've done? Any advice from you guys would be great. Good luck to all that have entered.

• Options

Last year I did 2 x 20, 2 x 18 and a 22 Miler and finished the Dublin Marathon without using Gels - This year I am a good bit quicker and over a stone lighter but injuries meant that I had only done a 15 miler and 3 x 13 milers up to last week when I ran a 3/4 Marathon at about Marathon Pace carrying an injury - I think the Gels help keep you going and I shall be using 1 every 20 minutes in the marathon and 2 before the start.

On another note I have not run since the 3/4 on Sunday - Trying a few miles today but I have a stiff knee from the injury I am carrying - I wanted to do a 20+ LSR on Saturday but I am unsure if I am risking too much and if I should rest it instead - At my age I tend to stiffen up quickly if I don't run for a few daysimage

• Options

Thanks for the tips Jim. I'll try a couple of gels on my 20 miler Tuesday and see if it makes a difference. My legs may well have given up due to having done a 5 mile speed session the previous night, and a 7 miler the day before that. I'll have a full rest day Monday and get carbed up this time and then see what happens.

Sounds like you're in good shape for the marathon already Jim, if it was me I think I would rest the injury and give yourself time to recover fully rather than do a 20+ Saturday. Then again, I'm not in the greatest position to dish out advice! lol

• Options

Hi uberduber

I did a 20 miler last week and took 3 energy gels, 1 every 5 miles and it seemed to do the trick for me. I use the Hi 5 iso Gel.  Keeping to the Gel talk does anyone know if you can take these through in hand luggage, i am only taking hand luggage and not sure if gels are allowed?

• Options
    Not sure but you can buy them at the EXPO
  • Options

Braceface that's a good point, I'm in the same poisiton. I use ZipVit gels and doubt I could pick them up at the Expo.

I'm traviling through Edinburgh airport back to London this afternoon and will ask the security guys about this and report back later.

• Options

jim holmes 3 - thanks for the info, if they get confiscated I will be able to get some at the expo.

Stefkirl - Thanks, it will be interesting to find out if we can take them through or not.

happy runningimage

• Options

Just have one big week of running here, have a 22 miler this sunday, and then will start to taper, doing the cardiff half the following weekend.

Am failry confident this year, as have managed 3 x20 milers, and 18 and a 15 for long runs, a lot better than I managed last year. The last 20 miler was a lot slower than previous ones though, as it was really hot on sunday, I lost about 8 pounds over the run, which felt quite extreme, despite carring as much liquid as my running belt/bottles could hold.

Am finding it hard to believe that this is the last week of big milage before the taper, having 12 weeks of building up, seems strange to be winding back down again. So far so good, have been uninjured so far, so will hopefully give Dublin a good shot this year. Also will be nice to have my evenings back again, the time investment in marathon training has been tough, but hopefully worth it.

Hope everyone else is enjoying the approach of the taper, and  staying uninjured, and here's hoping for nice weather for oct 31st!

Martin

• Options

Hi Braceface.

Thanks for the input, I'll definitely give them a try. I heard jellybeans are good for energy too so have stocked up on these!

I actually work at Stansted Airport, so I can tell you that you are allowed to bring 100ml of liquid through security. Any more than that and it will be taken off you.

• Options
    Dear God, please get rid of this damn cold! It's now gone into my chest and is wrecking my marathon preparation! It's my first one so it's not like I can fall back on my years of experience! Thankfully I have my long run done, but still this isn't the kind of taper I envisaged! imageAnyone else in the same boat? Misery loves company! image
  • Options
    Thanks Uber, just saw your post now. I did ask the security chaps and as you've stated, up to 100ml is okay (I think most gels are 60ml). 25 Days to go !!
  • Options

Good point on the gels. Is the limit 100ml per item or is that total liquid? I use lucozade ones and want to use them on the day too.

My flight arrives in Dublin at 3.55pm on the Sunday so better hope its on time as not much time to get to the expo for me! Must admit I am a little concerned!

• Options
    Get the Blue airport bus http://www.aircoach.ie/ that goes to Bewleys (Simmonscourt Road) which is next to the RDS where the EXPO is. It is as quick as a taxi and much cheaper.  You have a couple of hours - We were the same with Barcelona last year and flight was delayed but we made it OK
  • Options
    I'm pacing 3'45 this year. Doing it for the 5th year in a row and its a great race. Aircoach is the way to go from the airport yeah.
  • Options
    Will, that's a 100ml per item, not the total
  • Options
    Brian! I may be on your tail all the way around. I'm hoping for a 3:45 marathon, I've done a 1:30 half and just done a 39' 10k so all predictions point to a 3:30-3:45 marathon but quite scared! Prob more likely I'll do a 3:45 than a 3:30 as my training run got me a 20miler in 2hr48m.

I get into DUblin on Saturday - should I do expo straight from airport or do it on the Sunday?

Any clues on how best to get to the Hilton near the canal?
  • Options

runspudrun, your better than 3'45 by the sound of your times. you could head out with us for the first 5 mls or so then push on if and when your feeling good. If you get into Dublin airport on the Saturday before 3pm get the aircoach straight down and get it over with. Otherwise leave it i'd say. You can get the Luas (tram) from St. Stephens green at the top of grafton street to Charlemont stop (2 stops) on the green line and the Hilton is right beside you. The post marathon party is usually on there. Come and say hello to us at the "meet the pacers" stand in the expo.

Remember that the clocks change late on the Saturday night, it catches out a few every year!

• Options
    runspudrun wrote (see)
    I'm hoping for a 3:45 marathon, I've done a 1:30 half and just done a 39' 10k so all predictions point to a 3:30-3:45 marathon but quite scared! Prob more likely I'll do a 3:45 than a 3:30 as my training run got me a 20miler in 2hr48m.

I'd agree with Brian here runspudrun, it looks like you have faster than 3:45 in you. Are you considering going with the sub 3:30 pacers? I ran 3:29 last year off a 1:38 half mara so you'd be well ahead of me.