Options

How much porridge should I eat?

13»

Comments

• Options

Dunno if I am repeating a previous post, but here is my porridge portioning:

Using a 100ml cup measure:

1 cup oats

1 cup milk

1.5 cups water

With one of the following:

a) A mashed banana and honey

b) grated apple and berries

c) cinnamon and rasins

Oh yeah and I soak the oats in the liquid in the fridge overnight then heat in a saucepan in the morning adding a litte more water if needed, and mash it all together.

Mmmmmm looking forward to tomorrows breakfast already, and I havn't even had dinner yet.

• Options
    Does anyone have any tips for stopping the porridge from overflowing out of the bowl when in the microwave? Would covering with cling flim work?
  • Options
    Katiecom wrote (see)
    bigger bowl!
    Already tried image
  • Options
    an even bigger bowl

ffs - experiment!!

• Options
    I eat 3 sachets of honey "paw ridge", 1 1/2 sachets of milk.....thats once a week before my long run.  I dont get what the deal is with real vs fake porridge.  If it gives you energy and you can stomach it then its all good.
  • Options
    GeeeMGeeeM ✭✭✭

I've got my microwave porridge times down to the second image 

1:45 if I'm using boiling water from the kettle, (I use 50/50 milk / water)

2:05 if cold water

+ 30s if adding fruit - blueberries sometimes take +40s, (maybe because they've been in the fridge?)

A couple of seconds over and it can get messy... As fb says experiment ffs, what's the worst that can happen image

• Options
    i tend to go for flaxseed, chia seeds, mixed dried fruits, sesame seeds and a small spoon of nutella in my porridge...lovely and very filling... i use the rubbish instand microwave stuff - because then i get a decent portion control mechanism built in...otherwise i over eat
  • Options
    I just have however much i can fit in the bowl - usually half a cup of oats, 1 cup milk. But the other day i did manage to fill a HUGE serving bowl, and was ready for my second breakfast 2 hours later!!
  • Options
    A spoonful of greek yoghurt on top is also lovely.
  • Options

Dear Lord! 

Whats wrong with a couple of rashers of smoked back, a couple of fied eggs, some kidneys and three good pork sausages?  Of course if at home I add some cockles and Larverbread to all that. 

Only on a Sunday morning like!  It's muesli most other days....

• Options
    I tried the coffee porridge...... I can honestly say it was DISGUTING!!!! I'll stick to my chocolate porridge image
  • Options
    Good god! Kidneys for breakfast?
  • Options
    Artie Fufkin, Polymer Records wrote (see)
    Good god! Kidneys for breakfast?
    Food of the Gods, just fried lightly so they still bleed a touch when cut open.  Lovely.  And high in Iron and Vitamins.
  • Options

50g scots porridge oats

150ml semi skimmed milk

2 mins in the microwave

add alittle more cold milk (50ml -100ml) and stir.

and eat image simple but its what I like.

I have tried with water but that just dosnt float my boat.

• Options

This has reminded me I have to get back to PROPER porridge instead of those naff sachets I got into the habit of on night-shifts this winter.  Although I tend to swap to muesli in the summer - second the Dorset cereals vote.

My old magic recipe was 1/2 cup JUMBO oats (sooooo much nicer texture and flavour and no more expensive if you buy own-brand) to 1 cup skimmed milk, microwave 2mins (maybe Josh has a 3 gigawatt microwave but I've never had porridge explosion issues.

Best flavour combos - finely chopped apple (+/- raisins) put in before zapping and stir in some ground cinnamon afterwards, or chop up a banana and put that in for cooking then add mixed nuts after cooking (chop or break the biggies like brazils) - only tend to have this one post run when have earnt the nuts!

Loving the chocolate and peanut butter ideas (although it's gotta be crunchy!) but not so big on the coffee - prefer mine in a mug thanks!

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    simon Frobisher wrote (see)

Dear Lord! 

Whats wrong with a couple of rashers of smoked back, a couple of fied eggs, some kidneys and three good pork sausages?  Of course if at home I add some cockles and Larverbread to all that. 

Only on a Sunday morning like!  It's muesli most other days....

*lol*  I'm coming round for brekkie - and I don't even know what larverbread is.  Sounds hot.
  • Options

Can't beat porridge that's stirred with your spurtle in the good old fashioned way.image I use mine all of the time.

BTW. 70g of milled oats, 170ml skimmed milk topped up to 300ml with water, 1 banana, tablespoon of marmalade, sprinkling of sesame seeds and a squirt of golden syrup.

• Options
    These posts have been so comforting to read, having just finished my 4th bowl of porridge I was starting to think something was wrong... Lol but no, I just love porridge a lot!! Good to know there are others like me!!
  • Options

I have about 50-75g of oats (big bag for 75p). Stir in boiling water on hob for few mins, add a bit of milk, honey and sultanas. Very easy and delicious.

• Options

My morning porridge is 100g of oats with 450ml of skimmed milk and 2 desert spoons of sugar, microwave for a total of 4 minutes with a stir half way.  Strange thing is, I eat it every morning but Sunday morning when I eat 3 slices of toast and jam before doing my long slow run.

• Options

I have a large bowl of porridge oats each morning, probably around 100g with skimmed milk and maple syrup.  Yummy.

I also tried out the Graze porridge boxes.  You get four in a box, and I assume you're only meant to eat one as a serving.  I eat two.  They are quite yummy too but expensive.

• Options

Am forced to use water as any milk thats left in the fridge at work gets nicked. 

I pour boiling water over a couple of hand fulls' of oats then put in the microwave.

Have to watch it like a hawk to ensure it doesn't bubble over. Whats the secret to it not boiling over?

Then a sprinkle of sugar. Honey etc gets nicked.

• Options

I have a 'just the right amount' glass to measure - 1 glass oats to glass and smudge of water/milk. I add sultana, cinnamon and chopped nuts.