Options

Starting again from the beginning!

Comments

• Options
    Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭
    Nice one 330, bet you felt great at the end though!

I think all runners are dedicated nutters....
  • Options

JR - It was good to get out again

Thoughts of the Loch Ness Marathon are coming up again, that the one I really want to do. See how it goes 

• Options
    Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Good run there JR - and well done on getting out 330 - Loch Ness is a big target -

No run today - still taking one day off each week - just to catch up on sleep - disturbed at just after 5 o'clock when junior Grendel came int because he couldn't unwrap a lolipop I had found in his school bag.

AN emotional day today - Dropped him off at the Junior school for the last time - it's been an roller coaster of a ride and an amazing journey. 

• Options

ha ha ha so everyone else woke up because of the massive storm and you were woken by a lollipop ha ha ha brilliant! 

• Options

Just fallen in love with running again

Have been watching a lot of vids on Ultra running and was last night watch West Highland Way. So today decided to venture onto the trails and hills, loved it bl**dy fantastic up in the wilds just the odd walker or cyclist, trails gave way to surfaced roads through the farms and could have gone on but wasn't sure where I was going so turned back !!

Such a change from road running, not worried about pace or if I walked up a particularly rocky bit. Would love to do it again but with a pack and some supplies (ie grub, drink etc) took a couple of small vids uploading to my facebook

I guess I ran about 5 miles - not sure cant measure need a Garmin out about 1.5 hours so maybe more

• Options
    Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Ha Ha Grendel image My daughter bought me a lollipop from the Harry Potter studios in London. At £2.45 i'm scared to eat it lol. She has just finished her first year at high school, amazing how time flies!

I slept through the storm...and my alarm....I may need some sleep too. Luckily I woke up when the wife's alarm went off so wasn't late.

May get a run in today but not going to panic, parkrun tomorrow 

• Options

330 fantastic!! I LOVE trail running!! image To me it is the only way to run!

Im tempted to get some kind of automatic camera to try and document an ultra then compress it into a video, unfortunately the ones I have found so far dont last long enough! image

• Options

Yes that would be good B2B

I can really see the appeal of Ultra running - the more laid back approach of walking up the tougher bits, the sense of adventure and of course the stunning scenary and I bet the camoradarie amongst the runners is brilliant. There is a 31 mile Ultra up here - and I am not saying I would do it but its tempting

If I lived down South again would be tempted to join you on one, well once I am a LOT fitter !!

• Options
    Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Crossed posts there 330. Trail running is indeed fantastic. I am yet to do a road event this year after the Grizzly, the Honiton Hippo, Haldon Heartbeat and Talaton Trotter. Trail runs always seem to have such great names too! Already eyeing up The Black Death Run for next year!

One thing they do give you is strength. And strength equates to speed when you get back on the road. I'm lucky to have road, trail and grass to run on all within a mile of home. Now i've done a few off roaders I feel stronger, fitter and faster than ever (quicker than I was anyway) and cannot wait to have a go at a 5 and 10k on a fast, flat surface next month. 

Timings and pace can go out the window too. There are hills, fields and muddy bogs to conquer, who cares what the Garmin says! There are also amazing sights to see on trail runs, fantastic views......

.....sod this, i'm off for a little run, back soon.image

• Options

Immediately behind our new house is nothing but fields and wood land so hopefully be some good trails up there. Main reason I want is Garmin is to measure how far I have gone

• Options

330 - oh man go for it!! You will never look back! Ultra running is much more fun than a marathon image A lot easier to get into as well! I will have to organize a trip up your way, loads of monkey tag runners to meet up that way too!image

ha ha ha JR! See ya!

• Options
    Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭
    Good luck tomorrow JR, and also to you too B2B hope it cools down.
  • Options

yeah looks like a wet one for me on sunday!

as usual folks I shall try and tweet on my way round @cardiosaurus

• Options

http://www.ultramarathonrunning.com/training/index.html

Just found this site, B2B and any other Ultra nutters may be interested, it was quite interesting to see on the 50 mile Ultra schedules the lonest run was only 24 miles

• Options

I haven't been in here much since returning from my holiday. Kept 'popping in' and realising so much I wanted to respond to on peoples progress/problems that thought I had no time.

I've just come in here to rant. I have been planning to run a half marathon for a charity on Sunday and have collected monies via my donate already.

I checked my junk mailbox this afternoon fortuitously as it was half an hour after the organisers dropped an email saying the event is cancelled.

I'm now carbed up (only a half I know but love an excuse) and monied up for an event that isn't on so this has caused me problems.

An annoying part is the cancellation is down to 'highways'. Now if that is the problem they would have known well before 2.5 hours before close of business on a Friday.

i've tried to find an alternative in my area on Sunday with no success.

• Options

Hey all,   not sure I'm in the right place here for someone 3 stone overweight, and about to undertake my first time stepping out the house with the running gear on tomorrow morning?     I'm thinking from some of the recent posts, you are all well into your strides.....is there a more appropriate forum for complete (nervous) novices like myself ?

• Options

Hi all and lazy(image nic, I came onto this forum around 6 weeks ago with no running experience and after posting I felt I just had to put my trainers on and just do it - I came back and posted when done but mostly to celebrate that I'd just gone out and jogged and walked. It was great to get welcomes and advice to maintain a good form but especially Mummysaurus suggested the NHS couch to 5 k (starting on week 3 and assessing myself to move up a week or go with the 9 week running plan. so 6 weeks on I have completed the c25k, toned up a bit and lost weight. I can jog for 40 minutes and have joined the beginners group of my local running club and running my first parkrun this Saturday. I still get nervous but feel better when I actually put my run kit and trainers on and it surprised me that I can now run again! So Nic .. put you're running kit on and walk briskly to warm up for 5 mins and then go for a jog and see how you get on; you might like the c25k free 9 week app and like me you might find this forum decidedly motivating. It would be great to hear how you get on in the morning! Best wishes from a less nervous newbie than 6 weeks ago.

and thanks too to MSx

• Options
    Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Morning all….

Welcome to the thread Lazy Nic and Jaxmc, you are definitely in the right place. Feel free to rant and rave, give us your run reports and any questions will be answered faster than a steroid fueled 200m runner. If you check out the opening post Lazy Nic you’ll see where I’ve come from, and that’s pretty much where you are now so please join us, we will guide you, advise you and praise you all the way. Jaxmc, hope the parkrun went well this morning. The 5 minutes brisk walk is the best warm up I’ve ever found and something I still do now before every single run.

Ed, that sucks. In my opinion the only way to get over your frustration is to run, even if it’s on your own. Could you find another event in the not too distant future?

Okay, after I decided to run yesterday….the electrician turned up, my daughter arrived home from school, then the wife and kids arrived home too. Then tea was on the go, then the most junior JR had swimming, then it was 9pm….then 10pm and we finally sat down. So no run. However, as the kids have had such a busy week with school trips and end of term stuff plus evening clubs we let them have a lie in this morning.

This gave me the opportunity to go along to parkrun on my own. After Thursdays toughie I was planning on just taking it easy. On arrival I bumped into a friend who mentioned how great it must be for all those people who get to go on their own and basically race a 5k regularly in such relaxed and beautiful surroundings. We both normally have our children with us so parkrun is usually a fun run and a chat all the way round. I said I would probably just cruise round and he replied “yeah but it would be good to see what you can do?.” I went off to warm up and returned for the start a little closer to the front than usual. 7 minutes and 35 seconds later mile one was complete. It felt pretty good to let myself go and although it wasn’t easy especially as the first ¼ mile is over an uneven field then along a narrow, muddy track for the next mile and a half, it was a controlled effort. Mile two beeped at 7:44 and I had already reminded myself I was well over half way. “keep going legs” I said to myself, pumping my arms up the few small inclines and faster, shorter steps taking me past plenty of people down the other side. A few gaps had appeared and I focused on the man and woman in front of me. Just after mile two the young lady stopped, and I focused firmly on the back of the bloke in front. The pace seemed to slip once I stopped concentrating to 8 minute miles and I had to keep plugging away to keep the pace under. I overtook one, and then another runner, each time setting my sights on the next target. As I ran up the lane towards the last half mile I was aware this was becoming a real effort. I reminded myself about the training runs at this pace, that the body goes further than the mind, that it's okay for a little discomfort to be felt and as I approached the end of the lane we entered the field for the downhill finish. I tried to keep it controlled as the ground isn’t the most even surface and the grass quite long in places. I was overtaken by a youngster around 10 years old and when my watch beeped for three miles (7:50) he looked genuinely shocked as this old guy shot off ahead of him. I ran the last .1 at 5:26 pace and crossed the line absolutely spent.

I had finished in 71st place in an unofficial time of 23:41. I was (and still am) absolutely ecstatic. I had to grit my teeth towards the end but I recovered so quickly and I’m starting to believe a little more that I can run that sub 50 minute 10k I so want.

Didn’t mean to take up so much room for a 5k parkrun but this is race season after all image

July – 43.74

2014 – 536.56

• Options
    Ha ha - that was a great report. I was urging you on whilst reading it. Must admit I expected you to be nearer the front thoughimage

I will be out tomorrow morning. The start line is only 5 miles from me so silk fun there, possibly give any organisers who turn up grief, have a run around and then come back home.

I fully expect to get lost though as never been on the country roads round there error.
  • Options
    Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Just had my parkrun email. Joint 70th out of 283 with 23:42. A new PB image 

Enjoy your run tomorrow Ed

• Options

330 - yeah I thought that the first time I looked at the plans, im so relaxed with my "training" now its untrue!

Ed - oh man I hate it when that happens!

Lazy nic - stick around, your in the right place this thread is just been going a while! If anything is has become an example of what you can achieve! Have a read over some of the rest of the thread but please feel free to ask any questions we are all very nice in here image

Jaxmc - its so great to hear your feedback regarding this thread!! we all try really hard to be as supportive as we can, fantastic job with your running as well!! image

Fantastic stuff JR!!! Thats a great time, my PB was on a DREDmill 23:55, might give some of this park run stuff a goimage Your lot must be pretty darn speedy for that to be 70th place! image

PHEW! Hopefully I caught up with everyone?! image

Just a quick pop in to say im all fed and watered ready for tomorrows 50k and going to head off now for and early night.

Catch up with you guys soon with a report!image

• Options
    Good luck B2B - looking forwarding to reading that.

I hope I didn't sound dismissive at you being in that position JR. That is a time I couldn't even dream about. I managed 27.07 for a 5k but that included 3/4 stops for a breather!
  • Options

"Starting again from the beginning!" seems to apply to me. I was a keen runner from 2001 to early 2010 but then had achilles problems. 2010 and 2011 were wipe-outs for me but I've been running a little for a couple of years now.

Discovered the local parkrun at the end of 2013 (don't think they were around when I was running before - certainly not my local one), which I really enjoy. Ran a few at the end of 2013 but then had a some back problems after a skiing holiday. Running them now - 13 parkruns in total. Really great idea. Just turn up, no entry fee, no prizes. Of course relies entirely on the volunteers. Running 21 something now, which sounds ok except that I used to always be 18 something. Part of that is simply being 5 years older (10 years older than when I did my best times) but I'm hoping to get in the 20s sometime later this summer.

Have entered a big half Marathon in mid-September - Budapest. Nothing like entering a big race to give you some motivation.

Train slowly nowadays, no speed work except for the parkruns. Don't really warm up for my training runs - just jog slowly to start with.

Justrun - sounds to me as if 50 mins for 10k should certainly be possible, Find a flattish one on a good surface.

• Options

Wow, not been on here for a couple of weeks, so much to read! So many new runners! Hi!

Well I haven't run much since my ultra, mainly to recover, also because of the heat, but more recently because I have a broken toe. The unopened glass jar or tartare sauce fell out of the fridge onto my toe, and other than stubbornly running Dartford half last week (in a very slow and painful 2hours 17), I've pretty much converted to cycling for the moment to try and keep my fitness up. I am massively missing going out for runs though. I even tried swimming last week, and even that hurt so much I almost drowned. It's been two weeks now, and according to the NHS website, I have between another 2-4 weeks of recovery to go! Fortunately my next race is not until 25th August, but I'm gonna struggle to train to complete it comfortably.

Thinking ahead to the future, ive been reflecting a lot on my 1st ultra, and have decided that I need to give it another go next year (a different one though). I thoroughly enjoyed the people I ran with, the fact that the race felt more relaxed than shorter distances, and the euphoric feeling of perseverance. I am not sure I am ready for another 2dayer, so a 50k would be better so I can actually accept that I would have finished this time.  (I still feel guilty that I got given a medal for completing only day 1, knowing that I couldn't finish the race overall). So the ultra of choice that I would like to try will be the Ox ultra. Fancy it B2b? Or anyone else?

• Options

welcome Slinger, sounds like you are pretty speedy! image

Lisa - hmm 35 ish miles over nasty terrain and a cider or vodka at 28 miles? You have my attention! image

I will do a proper write up of yesterday once I get some energy back!

Short story, never ever underestimate any distance. Train hard or suffer

Catch you guys soon

• Options
    Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭
    Lol...No worries Ed...we welcome good banter on here. Next time top 50!

Welcome slinger. There's still plenty of speed left in those legs by sounds of it. Good luck with the hm training. I'm entered into a 10k in august, it's fast and flat.

Hi Lisa, cycling is certainty a great way to stay in shape. Glad to hear you're already planning the next big target.

Looking forward to reading your report b2b.
  • Options

31 miles and change to add, ill settle with the 31 image

so tired today really I should have booked the day off, ooops!

• Options

Thanks all for the welcomes (and reassurance !).  So I did it!  Got the trainers on today and then after a 5min warm up walk I got my jog on image  It was a 5km round journey and I managed to jog 90% of it.  I had one stretch where I felt the need to slow to a walk,  but I'm feeling not to bad about that given that its day 1.   Must look at those apps that were suggested thank you.    So I,m thinking same again tomorrow but try to jog full way without that walk in the middle ??   Feel free to correct me if this isn't the smartest idea.   Thanx again all ,  your posts/stories are very motivational x

• Options
    Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Well done on getting out the door Nic, 5km is a fair distance to complete and as it's been 3 1/2 years since your last running adventure my advice would be to take tomorrow off and head out again Wednesday?

You may find your next run is tougher due to aching muscles and getting into regular running and obtaining a base level of fitness takes time. Don't rush things, three times a week is more than enough to start and don't ditch the walk breaks just yet, they help you recover during a run enabling you to go further overall before tiring.

If you go back to the opening post you will see how long it took me to work up to running non stop. Everyone is different but please don't rush, it's a marathon, not a sprint.

• Options

Hot, hot, hot.

And the thread bounds on...

Excellent stuff.

July - 18.6

2014 - 156