Options

Starting again from the beginning!

Comments

• Options

sorry to hear that Grendel, we are always here to chat if you need too image

sorry about your Grandad as well JR, keep us updated.

Great running everyone!

I had my tooting 24 email last night, GULP! Im in for sure now image

one little week left till the 50 odd miles pacing duty for the NDW100 eeeeek!

Ive also started some physio exercises for my lazy butt, wow shows I need it!!

im going to back to the future secret cinema this weekend!! wooooo!

• Options
    Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

My Grandad has to go into hospital for some treatment, not for his fall but another issue he has been choosing to ignore for some time. He decided to discharge himself some months ago (he's stubborn as a mule) and now has no choice but to go in. He'll be okay but he's pretty set in his ways so good luck to them when he arrives. 

Missed yesterday run as I forgot we were going out for a meal with my parents. Had far too much to eat but we were all up for parkrun this morning. Youngest JR set a new pb (we think) but my eldest boy and I stopped to help a lad having an asthma attack for 5 minutes so our time was a little slower than usual. He did, however, have the pleasure of overtaking a shed load of people as we worked our way back up through the field. 

August - 3.1

2014 – 565.16

• Options
    Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Youngest JR certainly did run a pb today with 32:13 image

• Options
    Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Easy(ish) 10k along the canal this morning. Glanced down at the watch a couple of times to see the pace dropping under 8 1/2 minute miles. Eased back to 8:47 average for the run which is bang on the quick end of my long run pace. Total time 54:27. It's a pancake flat run so happy with that. Beautiful weather yet again, we are being spoilt!

August - 9.3

2014 – 571.36

• Options

JR: 3. 100 miles for August. Yes about the minimum for a serious runner. Roughly what I'm doing. 3:30 a week (30 min a day average) = 15 hour in a month which should  be 100 miles or so. 4. A couple of double figure runs. Yes Essential. 5. Stretch more - it works! Yes I'm the world's worst stretcher but it does help.

Marshalled at local Parkrun yesterday. Poured down for a couple of hours and got soaked. Good for the garden anyway.

Half marathon this morning - First one for 5 years. 1:42:45 I made it which compares to 1:33:01 in the same race 5 years ago. About what I expected and actually quite pleased. Some cramp in the sides of the calves in the last mile which slowed me down a little. Lack of suitable training probably or lack of water maybe (2 kg lighter when I got home that first thing - and I drank plenty after the race). Managed to find my 2009 mile-splits on an old spreadsheet and compared them to todays: 32 30 40 38 47 52 42 49 46 46 38 38 81 3 (seconds slower today for each mile). Looks like I started too quickly and mile 13 was a bit of a disaster.

• Options
    Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Well done on marshaling slinger. I marshaled at a local trail run which Mrs JR ran in June, I found it very rewarding. Will be volunteering for parkrun once we have done ten runs. 

Well done on the HM too, not too shabby a time, I would't mind being able to run that! As you say, would appear you went off a little quick and a shame to come to a halt in the last mile. Were the splits down to the elevation of the course? Anyway, don't be too hard on yourself, a world class athlete couldn't turn up to an Olympics after little training and set the same times they did at the last one.

• Options
    JR - that made me laugh about the bug. Have you ever done what I have and closed your mouth when you see a 'swarm' of them and ended up breathing heavily up your nose and inhaling one?

Hope your grandad recovers.

Grendel - much respect for taking that trip. I can't imagine how hard it was but hope it helped you all.

Great time there Slinger.

I planned on 10 miles yesterday morning but took the scenic route and ended up doing a half marathon. Seemed foolish to stop before that when I reached 11 miles. I do have a tender bit on my thigh not far above me knee - not a pain as such - more like a minor bruise is there but no idea why. Will do a 5k tomorrow and hope it clears.

Have a good running week everyone.
  • Options
    Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Not had one up the nose yet Ed I feel a bit of a let down with just a 10k today with all these halfs. Will probably go out for an easy 2 or 3 tomorrow before Tuesdays 5k. 

Happy running all

• Options

JR: Splits were on the same course but 5 years apart so I'm assuming the hills wouldn't make much difference to the year/year comparison. Actuall miles 11 and 12 were mostly up and they were quite good while mile 13 was flattish. Worked out the age-graded effect which says that 4+ minutes are accounted for by being 5 years older so I guess the other 5+ minutes are down to lack of fitness.

Just thinking about the next 6 weeks to my big Half Marathon race. Will run a few parkruns and perhaps a 10k race before then. The trouble with racing is that it seems to take me almost a week to recover and so training is affected. The trouble with not racing is that it's the only good way of really stressing the body for the big race ahead. Otherwise I'll just do a few long slow training runs (10-15 miles) and otherwise just plod around.

• Options

Grendel - Sorry to hear about the Brother in Law

JR - Some good running from you and the Juniors, As for the HM plans I am planning on completing a Half at the Fowlmead Challenge in October image

Ed and Slinger you both seem to be making great progress

I only managed a couple of miles over the weekend just to stretch the legs, this week is a busy week so not sure how much running for me.

I am getting a little excited but also nervous about my volunteering duties at the NDW100 over this weekend, I am dropping B2B off at 50 miles to pick up his pacing duties, then heading off to Aid Station 11 at 82 miles where I will be till 6.30am Sunday then drive the last 20 miles to the finish hopefully in time to see B2B & Dennis cross the line, hoping to grab an hours sleep before the long drive home again.

Happy running everyone

• Options
    Hey folks, back from temporary absence...in my over keen ignorance to get the miles under my belt, I overspent myself and had full blown asthma attack. Most annoyed at myself given that my asthma has never stopped me doing anything in life. However lesson learned again! So after a short hospital stay and lots changes in medication I,m heading out again tomorrow ( with the all clear from my doc). They say every cloud has a silver lining and mines is that my husband whilst keen for me to run is planning on joining me now.......I know its because he is keeping an eye on me really, but company will be quite motivational I think. Havent got caught up with the thread just yet bit hope you are all well and enjoying your running x
  • Options

Crikey MS - that sounds almost as tiring as running the thing image

Good luck uck Nic. Glad you've got it sorted but take it easy.

After the half on Saturday I planned just 3 today but found a little off-shoot I havent seen before. I decided to follow it up hill and ended up doing 5 with a few more elevations (not quite hills) thrown in.

i'm knackered now though!

• Options

Nic - ah man I used to get them as a kid, thankfully it only really plays up now when I get a cold. Hope you are feeling better, just slowly slowly moves the miles up as you adjust image

Well done Ed! I love exploring new routes its so much fun!!

No running for me of late as I get ready for pacing duty image I seem to be just running events at the moment ha ha ha! After this I only have 6 weeks till Tooting 24 then 3 weeks to Fowlmead! Yeah thats right MS I used the F word! image

• Options

wow, well it really does take a while to get back into the swing of things after a break from running eh.

I did a 6mile loop at lunchtime. gentle jog in the sun, along the canal towpath. when i was marathon training this was my easiest run of the week, practically a rest day. Today I felt like I was melting by about 4miles in. I was trying to go as slow as possible and it still felt like a real struggle. I was knackered by the end of it too, and my legs already feel like they're going to be stiff tomorrow.

The human body is very adaptive to training, but it seems even more adaptive to laziness :-

• Options

oooh yes the body loves a bit of lazy!

Just had a mail from Tooting 24 to say that anyone can pop along and cheer so if anyone is around on the 20/21st September and wants to watch 45 people run around in circles, feel free to pop in and say hi! image

• Options

B2B, is that at the tooting bec athletics track? I live right round the corner from there, so i'll try to pop my head in a give you guys a cheer image

• Options
    Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

To far away B2B otherwise I would do - I did once race there over 1500 metres, was last except for the 15 year old girl behind me who only ran it because she had missed her race!!!! 

• Options

thats the one! image

ha ha ha Grendel! Im going to try very very hard to not be lastimage

• Options
    Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Evening all...

Hope everybody had a good weekend. 

I didn't run my 5k last night due to a torrential downpour. It was forecast and although I went home and got straight into my running gear just in case the rain arrived as predicted so I repaired my eldest boys bmx and took the night off. Waiting for Mrs JR to get home and off out tonight instead. Easy 4-6 miles as per the schedule tonight, and in glorious sunshine by the looks of things. 

The last time I raced at a track was for my school and I finished last in the 400m. The guy at the finish did cheer me up a little by reminding me that I had in fact beaten two runners, the two that didn't turn up. "At least you tried" he said. 

• Options

First jog since Sunday's race for me. 42 minutes, which was plenty. Tired, as expected. I always found that races took more out of me than most runners. Seems to take me about a week to recover from a hard race.

Can't remember the last time I ran on a track. Must have been at school - although that was grass anyway. 100 yard races - that dates me image

• Options
    Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Easy 6 tonight. The light on my Garmin has stopped working image. Will send it away once the Exeter and Taunton 10k's are done. Seemed too eat up the ground tonight and at times had to ease up again. Two weeks today and I race so fingers crossed I stay healthy  as I clearly need to, feeling so good at the moment. Allowed myself to open the legs up over the last half mile and finished in 51.55.

A week doesn't sound too bad for a recovery to me Slinger. image

August - 15.3

2014 – 577.36

• Options

Have run two half marathons ; due to work didn't manage to run for a rew months and now need to get ready for the BUPA Birmingham half in Oct. Runs feel very hard and slow, will keep focused and trust I can be ready !

• Options
    Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Still waiting to hear if we have got tickets for Sunday's Charity Shield - nephew will be devastated if he didn't - he is supposed to be getting them through work. I think it has been his ambition to go to see the Arsenal with UNcle since he was little and I bought him his first top. 

a 2 mile out and back this morning - 2 miles out quite hard with the idea being that the return journey is quicker - it was,  90 seconds quicker - been a bit dehydrated the last few days so am concentrating on knocking the fluids back.

• Options

Nice light 5k last night with MS, last one before the weekends pacing duty!! image

Welcome Shazwah, just get back into it slowly and you will be fine

• Options

Hi folks, sorry for my absence.

I haven't been out for a while but will try to get out tomorrow. Don't know what happened. Lost my mojo and started eating chocolate hobnobs!!image

• Options

mmmmmmmm hobnobs!! Take them with you! image Just start back by going for a lovely long walk in the sun image

• Options
    Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Welcome Shazwah, take it slowly, you've plenty of time. image

Hope the tickets come through Grendel. Keep on drinking. 

Lol Beachball. Chocolate bourbons are my downfall, them and cadburys chocolate of any description. As B2B says, take some with you, or even better stash one in the hedge at mile intervals!

Intervals today image Will report back later 

• Options

JR take hobnobs! image

• Options
    Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Intervals done. Should have been 8 x 400m in 1:46 with 200m recoveries but only had time for 6 (even 6 made us 30 minutes late going into town for appointment, sorry Mrs JR). Garmin connect not working properly at the moment so i'll add my miles (7ish) when it's back up. 

Parkrun tomorrow with Mrs JR and the boys and then Sunday (weather permitting) i'm running 10 miles across Exmoor. £3 entry and free cake at the end image There is, however, a severe weather warning so we may not go. Even i'm not so cruel as to make the kids walk around in that while I go off on a jolly.

• Options

Good work JR. I just don't want to improve that much that I'll do the running I don't like. I'm happy pretty much plodding but respect others who work at running.

BB - I'm up early(ish) for a long run but am tempted to sack it and eat some hob nobs.

Grendel - really hope the tickets come through for you and you both have a great day. Hope you don't enjoy the result though image TBH, City are likely to play a really inexperienced centre backs so can see you winning. Especially if Boyata loses his head again.

I'm off to try and run down a river bank. No idea whether the path is accessible or overgrown but hey, may as well have a look.