Options

Starting again from the beginning!

Comments

• Options

1:36 for me today. Almost all off-road. 45 min there, 51 back. Not quite the same route back, into the wind, so a few excuses for the slowing down. image Plenty of hills to walk up. Quite busy with walkers. Was amused when a young boy (10 perhaps) said "after you, Sir" when we both met at a stile. Not sure the last time I was called "Sir". Can tell how weak my muscles are; near the end I was using my hands on my thighs to get up some of the steps. Good fun though I must say.

• Options

hey folks, quick catch up before work goes nuts!

right......monday 20 miles, tuesday 5k and change, wednesday 25 minute weight session, yesterday 10 miles.......not a bad week if I do say so myself! image

The 20 and the 10 were both done at 10 minute run / 2 minute walk at 10 minute miles image

My legs were a little heavy but seemed to get better the further I went. Mile 8 was a 9.5mm then mile 9 at 9 minute mile. Finished off by stopping at a cash point and got a "recovery" sausage and batter and chips ha ha ha #nutritionimage 

Weights tonight then probably rest over the weekend....well I say "rest" my lady has plans to tip the house upside down as its bank holiday....joy!

• Options

10 miles this morning. Longest run since Edinburgh Marathon 2008!

Took it very gently and got home safely.

• Options

well done Howard feels great to break double digits eh?!

• Options
    Thanks for all the welcomes.

Just got back from holiday and all my running kit has just come out of the washing machine, so hoping it will be dry enough for a run later if I'm still awake (I'm sure my collie will appreciate it)

Well done Howard, it's been too long since I last ran into double figures.

After reading everyone's recent posts I'm feeling motivation I haven't felt in a long time, so thanks!

Brian
  • Options
    Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Some serious miles this week B2B image

Well done Howard, as B2B says, double figures has that extra special feel. 

Hope you had a nice break Br1an, and yes, you will get motivation by the bucket load in here. Enjoy your run if you get out. 

Easy 5 miles for me today (well, 4.86) along the lanes. 9:08 average today which over an undulating course and on still a little tired legs very pleased. Parkrun tomorrow.

August - 72.05

2014 - 634.11

• Options
    Didn't get a chance to run yesterday, after unpacking and washing, and sorting the kids out I realised I needed to go shopping!

So I went out and ran 4 miles with the dogs early this morning, for the first half I kept them on lead (canix) and decided they were working me a bit too hard so let them off. But all in all was a bit easier than running in Florida (a lot cooler)

JR - Sounds like a good run, and enjoy parkrun today!
  • Options
    Just realised that I typed 20 miles for the Monday?! It was actually 15....tough day at work ha ha ha

So it should have been 15m, 5k, weights, 10m for the week......That's better! image
  • Options
    Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Parkrun this morning and a pb for both boys. 29:00 and 29:22 with my daughter just 20 seconds off her best. Both boys were keen on a pb today as it was their 10th parkrun. Really enjoyed todays run image

August - 75.17

2014 - 637.23

• Options

Parkrun for me too. Beat PB by 14 seconds - dipped under 21, which was pleasing. My partner's nephew, the 16 year old, athletic, skinny one. Ran his second race and beat his previous time by over a minute which meant he beat me quite comfortably. Partner's brother ran too: just over 29 for him.

Age graded value now within 1% of my worst 5k times before being injured, so perhaps can't expect too much more improvement.

Training at the moment consists of weekly parkrun with just slow running in between - 3 hours 30 minutes per week total. Nothing else.

• Options
    Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Great running slinger, that's fast. image

We're just off for a nice walk in the sun around Knightshayes Estate. 

• Options
    Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

At the start of August I gave myself some targets...

1. Another sub 24 5k, dream time sub 23:30. - ATTEMPT WEDNESDAY
    2. A sub 50 minute 10k - DONE
    3. 100 miles for August - ON TARGET
    4. A couple of double figure runs - ONE MORE NEXT SUNDAY
    5. Stretch more - it works! - DONE

Having short term goals has really helped me this month, especially with a 17 day break which would normally have seen me slack off. I am going to try for another 5k time on Wednesday as my speedwork for the week. Will stick to 6/7 miles today and another 10 next Sunday to finish the month. Then i'll give myself a few more targets for September. Going to miss parkrun on a regular basis soon with the kids football starting and have to say I will really miss it. It's the one social run I get and having the wife and kids there too has made it such a lovely family event.

With that said, Mrs JR and I are going to join a local running club. It's 30 minutes up the road and we have friends who run with the club. We will probably take it in turns going and it's on a Wednesday which is good for us. They also have a junior group on Tuesdays (that's Monday - Friday booked up then!) which my friend coaches and the kids are keen to try it. 

Happy running all image

• Options
    Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Easy 10k today along the canal in exactly 55 minutes. Mrs JR has got some knee pain so is resting and cycled alongside me with the boys.

August - 81.37

2014 - 643.43

• Options
    Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Nice gentle 5k along the canal this morning at 9:00mm. Running in the rain for a change! Mrs JR has her ass in her hand about my running while her knee pain persists. And she is even more annoyed at the prospect of me going along to Honiton running club on Wednesday evening. 

August - 84.44

2014 - 646.50

• Options

JR: Yes, There's nothing worse than an injured runner.

• Options
    JR - Well done on achieving those impressive targets! And I hope you're wife's knee gets better soon! Most of the time my running companions are my dogs! My kids are still too young, my wife has come out a few times but hasn't been into it too much, besides getting people over to watch the kids so we can both go out is hard!

Done another 4 miles today, had a busy day decorating and entertaining inlaws, so left it a bit late, as it was dark we done some laps round one of my local parks, not the most scenic route, but my usual trail is a nightmare when it's dark and wet with no lights for me or dogs.

Anyhows, hope you all had a nice bank holiday, back to reality tomorrow! I've made a promise to myself to cycle there and back all week despite the weather!
  • Options

Managed a slowish 10k yesterday. Faster than I wanted really (about 8:30 pace) but ran with my nephew who was like a spring lamb, bouncing along, and was pushed a bit faster than I'd have liked. He's going back today so I can get my own pace again from today.

• Options

I like the idea of both long term and short term targets. Obviously running a spring marathon ticks one of the boxes but leads to all sorts of landmarks on the way as well. The 10 mile run last week felt enormous in terms of my injuries over the last 7 years and for the first time in a long time I can really visualise the start line of VLM. Running sub 4 may much more of a challenge but 26.2 miles now looks possible.

• Options

Hey folks, great to see you all doing so well!!

No running for me over the bank holiday due to tipping my house upside down...it looks worse than when I started right now with piles of stuff to get rid of!

Just under 4 weeks till Tooting!!! I think im going to try and push a few more bigger runs before taper time then its massage and acupuncture time image

Still doesn't feel real just yet but at the same time its a different feeling to my other ultras. Not a chance of getting lost, no navigation at all, nothing to carry, not even a set distance! Very strange but it also means no pressure. I just have to turn up and give it a go! 24 hours to see how far I can push my little legs

• Options
    Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

All about mental strength B2B which you seem to have in bucket loads - 

Well done everyone all getting out there.

Me? out most days although have missed the last couple of Sundays - but it is 8 weeks til the Wix 5 mile this week so time to get serious - Running club tomorrow night for the first run with them - so will be running evening rather than morning for a change - can almost have a lie in!!!

Tooth update - dentist has taken one out - hopefully, as it cost me £50.50 for the pelasure of having a very pretty dentist rest her b**bs on me whilst she pulled and tugged my tooth until it came out, the right tooth!

• Options

B2B: Yes, Tempus Fugit and all that.

Less than 3 weeks for me (Budapest half-marathon). Blimey. Week-3 (this week): Should do a long run (tomorrow probably) 2 hours. parkrun Saturday. Week-2: Maybe slow 10 miler. Otherwise short runs. Week-1: very little. Trouble is we're going to Budapest 12 days before the race, which is a nice holiday, but Mrs slinger has arranged various activities like a few days cycling, so I'm not sure how that'll affect my training schedule.

• Options

my plodding along is continuing. plod plod plod.

managed 31 and a bit very slow miles last week.

my commute to work is 7.5 miles, and i managed that 3 times last week, with a run of 9 miles on sunday morning.

then had a boozy sunday roast with friends so felt like rubbish yesterday and spent all day on the couch nursing a hangover. they get worse each time i'm sure.

all of the jogs have been pretty pedestrian, and i even wore my HR monitor on sunday to try to keep my HR below 80% max, but it kept creeping above, even when i was crawling at barely a fast walking pace. always been the same for me though. My resting HR when I wake is about 52 at the moment (I take it every few days, just out of curiosity) and when i start jogging it's up to ~150 within 5-10 mins, and stays there, regardless of pace, only dropping back down to about 120 if i stop at traffic lights, or a road junction or something. once i start jogging again, up it goes.

• Options

AgentGinger: I've always the same problem too. Haven't used one for years but I did try it out about 10 years ago. I could get to about 190 max in those days but my normal training heart rate was always higher than recommended. Probably was running too fast, like most runners I suspect. Perhaps be interesting to try it again with body 10 years older and much slower jogging. Nowadays I try to either run fast or slow, nothing in between. BTW: 31 miles sounds impressive.

• Options

flippin eck! just checked mine with one of those phone app ones.....I know they might not be great so I took it 3 times for my resting rate....50,48,47!!! Just checked some charts.....erm...im barely on them! image 

• Options

As I sit here mine is ticking out the seconds almost exactly. Never was much less than 60 - maybe 58 when I was super fit.

• Options

my understanding, for what it's worth, of heart rate is that bradycardia is common amongst those who exercise frequently, as the heart becomes stronger and thus requires fewer beats per minute to pump the blood around the body needed by the tissues. severe bradycardia, if you're sedentary could indicate a cardiac problem.

i've also read that the fitter an individual, the slower the acceleration of heart rate to the maximum, or to proportions of the maximum HR, and the quicker the heart returns to their normal resting rate after exercise, although this is something i have only a vague understanding of.

as it is, i suspect i'm not very fit at the moment, and even at my fittest I'm no endurance machine.

anyway, running home tonight. it's stopped raining for now at least image

• Options

One important thing to know is that all the formulae for maximum heart rate (eg 220-age) are useless. The best way to measure it is to find a hill, long enough (400m may be enough) and steep enough to really test you but not so steep that you can't run up it at a reasonable pace. When you get to the top, glance at the display before you collapse on the ground. Repeat for best results. image

• Options

Morning all you wonderful fit running people, I have been a bit of a slug running wise, life has just got in the way.............did do 8 miles on the cross trainer on Monday after failing to find time to get out over the weekend, but that's about it image I have brought my running gear to work today and if all meetings go well this morning am hoping to finish at 1pm and go for a nice long slow run...........wish me luck

• Options
    Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭
    Good luck MS.... Hope you get time for that run
  • Options

i plodded 7.5 miles home last night. very gentle pace, tried to focus on running "lightly", and it did feel very comfortable, except for the fact my knees felt very stiff, got better towards the latter part of the jog as I'd warmed up I expect.

Mummysaurus, i've been through a bit of a running trough recently, so just now starting to get back into it. Still haven't found my running mojo yet, but slogging away at it, piece by piece, and it'll come. I know you didn't ask for advice, and feel free to ignore me, but i find that when life takes over, my running suffers, and it's partly because I tend to think that if i can't train properly, then it's not worth bothering at all. But even getting out a couple of times a week for a 20 min jog is better than sliding into doing nothing for weeks, which has been my experience. It might not be enough to even keep you ticking over at a certain fitness level, but it will minimise the damage compared to not running at all. And it'll mean when you do find time again to run more frequently, it'll take you less time that it otherwise would to get back into shape.

I will have to heed my own advice the next time life interupts my running. Both this summer and last I have had periods of 6-8 weeks where i've not even laced up my trainers. Not planned, just fallen out of the habit of running, and then 1 week becomes 2 weeks, and before i know it, i feel like i'm starting from scratch again, which i guess is how i ended up on this thread image