Options

Starting again from the beginning!

Comments

• Options
    JaneyHJaneyH ✭✭✭

Hello everyone! Hope everyone's running well especially as this weather is so fantastic image

JR I'll just echo 330 - you really are flying! The Honiton Hippo sounds great and to knock such a chunk off your time must feel brilliant - maybe next year I'll be there too.....

Well I finally gave in and realised that self-diagnosis by google wasn't really working and I saw a sports physio this morning. He was excellent - he used to be England and Somerset cricket physio so he should be! Anyway, the issue it seems is my ludicrously tight calves - which possibly the MS is playing a part in as it causes muscle spasticity image however it's not insurmountable and he has given me exercises and stretches etc to do but I'm not to start running till I've seen him again next week and we'll take it from there. We're going to work on getting some flexibility into my calves and then I'll be good to go. It's a hiccup - and an expensive one - but I am so determined that I am going to be a runner again that I'll just have to accept that - well at least Mr H will as he is the wage earner round here image.

Anyway, here I am looking like a proper athlete now!

/members/images/837321/Gallery/20150422_152257_resized_(169x300).jpg

I look forward to hearing all your running stories to keep me going!

• Options
    Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Thanks 330 & janey

Glad you got some official advice Janey. You look very similar to Mrs JR at the moment although she has actually taken her tape off today so fingers crossed she's on the mend as I am really getting on her nerves with all my running. I feel her pain as I know what it's like to sit and watch others run, it's no fun!

8 miles done tonight with a 3 mile tempo run in the middle @ 8:25 pace. Bright sun when I left, dark when I finished. Rest day tomorrow. image

Apr - 107.46 image

2015 - 428.73

Please support my Yeovil marathon run in aid of the Alzheimer's Society

• Options

sorry folks im well behind with the thread at the moment, distracted with London. I went to the Expo yesterday to pick up my number and chip! image *sqweeeeeeeee* getting exciting now!

• Options
    Hi all sorry for lack of posts but PC so slow taking 10 mins to launch web page gonna download new browser later hopefully post later toonight
  • Options
    JaneyHJaneyH ✭✭✭

Hi all,

JR sounds like your training is spot on atm! I hope Mrs JR is back to running with you soon - I would find it very hard in her position! Yes the magic that is KT tape - no real logical reason why it should work but it seems to.

B2b all the best for Sunday - have a great race/day - I'm sure you will.

330 - the main thing is have you been running??

Well I had a great weights session this morning - although I think my quads will pay for it tomorrow!  The foot feels a lot better and I'm feeling very positive about things - planning to walk a fair bit next week and then if I get the okay I'll start running the following week - but am going to make myself run/walk for a few weeks this time to avoid this situation again.

Hope everyone has a great weekend image

• Options

Back2basics is this your first marathon? Bedt of lyck with it

JaneyH glad to hear you are on the mend

Iv done 3.5 miles yesterday and 4.1 miles today might give itva rest tomorrow and then try get 4.5 miles in on sunday. Really enjoying this good weather

• Options
    Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Good luck this weekend B2B....image Hope you're well 330. 

Janey, training is going well. Parkrun tomorrow with Mrs JR and two of the kids while the other is off to Exmoor for an 11 mile walk. Glad to hear things are improving.

Nice one DW2. We've actually had some rain here this afternoon/evening. Made for a nice cool run though.

9 miles done with 7 at mp image

Apr - 116.46 

2015 - 437.73

• Options
    CindersCinders ✭✭✭

B2B, all the best for Sunday.

Good news on the foot JaneyH image

• Options

Quick update, the new deck is finished, 4 days work and too tired and sore to do any running. Inspired by the London Marathon this morning I went for an easy 15 min jog. Feeling much better and looking forward to next week. Hope everyone had a great weekend

• Options
    Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

All the best to those marathon runners today. 18 multi terrain miles for me. 1,350ft of climb. The last 3 miles at MP were tough but not uncomfortable. Legs are aching now! Ran along the canal, off road and up over the hills before dropping down through some fields to nearby Tiverton. From there I ran along the Exe Valley Way following the river bank to picturesque Bickleigh. Up over the toughest hill I think I've ever found to Butterleigh and across some undulating terrain back home. Watching the London runners now with Arsenal v Chelses to look forward to!

Apr - 134.46 

2015 - 456.73

• Options
    JaneyHJaneyH ✭✭✭

Thank you everyone - am feeling really hopeful as the foot seems better - but going to be good as I said and walk next week and hopefully start to run/walk the following one if I get the go ahead.

Well done Robert - you'll soon be back into it.

Fabulous going JR!

I'm feeling so inspired - been glued to it all day so far - even cried with Paula!

• Options

Hi all finally sorted out problems with PC

JR - Yes I am good thanks and your flying !! Training for you seems to be going so well

JaneyH - I have run Weds - Sat this week just over 16 miles and already this is my biggest month for a year, how time flys. But enjoying it a lot. Watched London again and will be applying for 2016 enteries open next Monday (not tomorrow) apparently, now that will mean 12 midnight next Sunday and filled up last year in 8 hours so go gonna stay up..

Derek and Robert good to see you posting keep up the good work.

Good to see B2B done his 2 marathons and the 2nd faster than the first - mans a true inspiration

April -

2015 - 142.48

• Options

out for another 15 mins this morning and the legs feel fine, the bad news is that my scales must be broken as they seem to be moving in the wrong direction. Trying to loose weight and getting nowhere is a bit soul destroying.

• Options

Robert

Agree at the loosing weight thing, trying to loose around 18lb myself.

Think as the distance increases the weight may come off but need to make eating adjustements as well, bread being the biggest culprit (oh and crisps ... and beer... and chocolate lol!!!)

• Options

Thank you so much everyone for your good wishes I am truly humbled!! Everything pretty much went to plan....6 hour first marathon, 5:49 for the second image Waaaaay to much road for my liking but a unexpectedly emotional journey.

The rain started and stopped when we did - 2am-8am I was flipping freezing at the start line and had to get a bin bag from St Johns to try and keep me warm.

3....2....1....GO.............walk for 9 minutes to the start line......GO!

I was actually really surprised at how good I felt over the first 10k just being pulled along by the crowd. They were immense!! I had just spent the last 6 hours in the quiet streets of london with a handful of nutters with no one caring at all to this, over 38000 people running and what felt like the rest of the planet screaming and cheering. It was surreal. 50k down and I was starting to get a little emotional. "keep it together man! Just wait for a break in the crowd then duck off for a quick cry!" was going through my head but the break never came!!! 26.2 miles of solid noise, people lining the streets 5 deep......incredible!!

Tower bridge never looked so beautiful at 13 miles and I had to hold back the tears again. 22 miles was the moment I was hanging on for, with tears in my eyes I found Mummysaurus at Fetchpoint and squeezed the life out of her. She handed me some chocolate brownies and a hip flask of Jack Daniels honey.....heaven!!

The next 4 miles were the most enjoyable of the day. The crowd were bananas!! I had a little energy boost going on and made some short sprints before going back to the power walking that I had been doing for the last 10 odd miles. Sprint, walk, sprint, walk.....3 miles to go!!!

This was the point that I stopped and took off the socks. My feet looked really good! Now barefoot in my sandals I felt so free and put in some more sprints. Slowly I grind out the miles, walking hard waiting for my time.

Beautiful Big Ben in front and the markers are now under a mile. 800m......600m....400m...not yet.....just hold on.....200m and turning the corner into the Mall I sprinted for the finish like I was finishing a 5k. I spotted a guy on his own about to cross so I pushed harder, weaving my way in and out of everyone. The crowd were going ballistic and it just made me run even harder! I caught him, slowed down, looked at him and put out my hand. We crossed together hand in hand and congratulated each other on a job well done.

What a day!

• Options

Robert - Hang on in there mate! Try reducing your intake of grain. Bread, pasta, oats, cereal....cut them all back. Rice is the lesser of the evils. Try also putting your food on a smaller plate....I know it sounds ridiculous but its mind over matter. Clearing a plate of food means you are done. Smaller plate, smaller portion! image Try eating little and often at 300 calories. The body can only digest 300 calories an hour.

Reducing sugar and grain will have a big impact image

• Options

Great run Back2basics. Thanks for all the tips regarding the weight. I was doing really well dropping between 1 and 2 lbs a week but the past couple of weeks the scales have been going the other way, obliviously they are broken. I'm heading on holiday next week and wanted to get a stone off but looks like 8 lbs will have to do. 2 weeks all inclusive...ooops

• Options

cor yeah that will do it! ha ha ha! Have a great holiday and dont worry about it. Once you are back dont go mad and stop everything at once. It is a lifestyle change NOT a diet. A diet implies suffering and sacrifice. If anything you will be eating more and feeling a lot more energised! Just focus on finding alternatives and cut back a little.

Example day -

Breakfast - 4 rashers of bacon, 2 eggs, fat coffee (pressed coffee, tblsp kerry gold butter, tsp coconut oil, tblsp *whole earth peanut butter* to taste *maple syrup*/*honey*) stars are optional. Give it a whizz with a hand blender

lunch - olives, cheese, meat, salad (careful with the sugar in any dressing)

Dinner - curry and rice (smaller portion of rice than you would normally take)

Snacks (pick one and have a handful) - Cashews, walnuts, peanuts, avocado, cubes of cheese, olives 

Hope that helps a little bit image The idea really is that if you cant catch it or pick it then dont eat it image One interesting way to try and get into it is to attempt to buy a meal that mainly has no packaging and if you look at the ingredients and it has stuff you cant pronounce, put it backimage 

• Options
    JaneyHJaneyH ✭✭✭

Hello everyone!

330 - that's great going - you're right back into it image I thought the reason we run is so we can have the chocolate/beer/wine etc! Actually - strangely - I find the older I get the less I want them - well apart from wine. I'm one of those odd people who really enjoys 'healthy' food.

Robert you will get there - it often happens like that - I put 4 stone on each time I had a baby and then started off a stone overweight with each one. By the time I gave birth to number 3 I was enormous - and so was she! But it all came off in the end. Have an amazing holiday and don't think about it till you get back.

B2b that is fantastic image you must be so pleased/proud - such an achievement. So where do you go from there? And how is your own race coming along?

Well I saw the physio today and he was really pleased with me. I've managed to dramatically increase my calf flexibility and now we're also working on the hamstrings....but I have the all clear to get back out there next week - he approved my cobbled together schedule so next week I start with 3 days of 4 x 5 mins run 1 min walk - and I will stick to it whatever happens and not be tempted to skip the walks or go further. I'm to stick to 11 ish minute/mile pace too. Ridiculously excited about the prospect of it!

• Options

glad its over ha ha ha! Honestly yes im pretty happy with that one image My own race got kind of pushed to one side of the brain, thanks for the reminder!!! image

So glad everyone is doing so well! Keep on keeping on folks

• Options
    CindersCinders ✭✭✭

Well done B2B image

Good news at the physio JaneyH.

Struggling with weight loss here too.  Would like to lose at least a stone. As my little fella is 7 I can't blame baby weight any more!

• Options

Great advice guys, like this "The idea really is that if you cant catch it or pick it then dont eat it" The only thing I could catch at the moment is a very slow tortoise.

Managed out again yesterday although the weather really is bad and I'm just waiting for a break in the hail/sleet/snow to venture out again today, going to try and go a further 5 mins.

• Options

Thanks Cinders image

ha ha ha Robert turtle soup? image 

• Options

Hi all

Thanks Janey - yes last week was up for it. This week am off of my work as I promised the ma in law would decorate the house for her (shes diabled)

Thought I would run every morning but to be honest after decortating all day am just knackered and running before starting is not worth it. After my day job of pushing a pen around, any physical work is exhausting !!

Robert / Cinders - once a bit of consistency with running sets in sure weight will come off

B2B - Hows the legs?

But be back running end of week. Watching marathon again here !!!

• Options

The weather was a bit better this morning, managed 20 mins without any walking so quite please with that, but can see a long road ahead.

• Options

330 - unexpectedly good actually. Went for a slow 3.5 mile run/walk with mummysaurus and was very surprised at how springy I was. In fact im going to try and pace my sister to a PB at parkrun on saturday for her birthday...26 minutes I think? Not sure if ill be able to hold it but ill give it a go image Really feel like I might be over the slump I have been in for a while.

Great work Robert! 20 minutes without stopping is a great barrier to push. Dont try it everytime just yet. Drop back a little for a week and then try for 21 the week after image Take it a little at a time and focus on a strong foundation. It can be really frustrating but its worth it

• Options
    Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

B2B....Awesome double marathon image

Will catch up with you all over the weekend, had a mad week (running was the easy bit).

9.25 miles Wednesday, 3.74 tonight and my biggest month ever image

Apr - 150.55

2015 - 472.82

• Options

JR - Bloody fantastic bud

• Options
    Back2basicsBack2basics ✭✭✭

JR - Thanks image impressive millage well done!