Options

Starting again from the beginning!

Comments

• Options
    Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

A scenic multi terrain run this morning. Took a wrong turn and ended up in someone's garden.....the look on the chaps face when I said I'd run up Church Hill to reach his place (25% incline) was priceless. Just under 16 miles in total.

May – 109.59

2015 - 582.21

• Options
    Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Another 8 miles this morning along the beautiful Great Western Canal. Out at 6:30, wish I could go out at that time every day image

May – 117.49

2015 - 590.11

• Options

Wish I could say my 10 min jog was scenic, but it wasn't, round the houses will have to do just now.

• Options
    JR - Love the story re ending up in a garden lol !!!!! Robert good miles mate Someone on either this or another forum used to say, when encouraging others in training or a race "and remember don't be shit!!" Well today I was shit Why oh why do I do it? Sat I run a fairly comfortable 8.65, had Sunday as a rest day, Monday and Tuesday, due to laziness I didn't run. Today I go out for a wanted 6, got to 2 miles so tired and crap I stopped dead. Carried on for 5 so slow was overtaken by every other runner out and possibly by a few snails. So hard at moment. Really hard to motivate myself after that. Also need to shift a stone or so I need consistency and 3 days without running is not it -
  • Options

Don't get down 330 or Bust why not get your bike out and go for a spin or go swimming, just try something different for a few days, then go a drive in the car,, park up and run somewhere different? 

• Options
    JaneyHJaneyH ✭✭✭

Hello everyone image

JR going well as ever - in spite of the detours! It's getting close now - when do you taper?

Glad you had a good holiday Robert - at least you got to the gym a few times and will soon be back into it here.

Right, 330 - time for a pep talk! It would be too easy to say that everyone has a crap run now and then, you know that's the case but somehow it doesn't make your own crap run any easier to cope with. Sometimes a good run - like you had on Sunday - sets up an expectation that the next one will be the same and it's a shock when it isn't. I will say, however, that I wonder whether you were feeling guilty about not getting out on Monday/Tuesday and possibly were not in the right mind set for a good run - very often the mind dictates the run not the legs. Being overtaken by the others will only have made it harder mentally. Go right back and remember why you are doing this - you love running! It doesn't matter how slow you go or who overtakes you - you are out there and running 5 (even if they are crap slow) miles which is 5 further than most people. I also think possibly you are focussing too much on/worrying about the race in the autumn - try to forget about that for now and run because you love running - the times and distance will follow naturally when you get back to feeling good about running. You almost need to strip yourself right back and stop trying to be the runner you were 10 years ago and be the runner you can be now - different goals but endless possibilities. I would also set your self a weekly schedule - work permitting etc - and stick to it - try to get out 3/4 times a week for quality sessions - 2 miles quality is better than longer runs that are just junk miles. Maybe schedule in some runs of different lengths and goals. Hope you're not offended by my cod psychology and suggestions - I speak as one who is equally frustrated!

Well I've done a few gym sessions now - having a day off today as I would go every day if I didn't know better - I did go yesterday and Tuesday though! Yesterday interspersed my brisk treadmill walk with 3 x 1 minute jogs (yes they were that slow!) just to see how my foot stood up to it. Doing lots of other stuff plus weights too so hopefully be super strong soon! Also bought the Chi Running book - I'm usually so cynical about these things but it makes a lot of sense from a form perspective so I'm going to give it a go - well my version of it anyway!

• Options
    JaneyHJaneyH ✭✭✭

Good advice there Robert image

• Options
    Back2basicsBack2basics ✭✭✭

Great work Pompeymatt! Its nice to keep up with the big stuff image

JR - ha ha ha "ran...UP?!" ha ha ha Youre really packing those miles away now, well done!

Robert Clark3 - well done for sticking to it! Just hang on in there, 10 minutes is a great start!

330 - are you on a diet at the moment? If yes then maybe its just that your energy levels are low? feel free to PM me if you want to chat about food image

Monday was the start of my lady trying out some training with me. Very proud of her as she is not one who likes that kind of thing. It wasnt her choice by the wayimage We went and got some hand wraps and jab pads and I set up a plan that looks like this....

10 punches

5 kicks left

5 kicks right

10 punches

5 kicks left

5 kicks right

5 planks with knees left knee (lift knees across body)

5 planks with knees right knee(lift knees across body)

5 crawl forward (like a cat)

5 backwards crawls

5 reach and plank (reach up, touch toes, extend legs to plank, legs back, reach)

Repeat....

She managed 5 sets!! Very, very proud image

Nice 4 mile with Mummysaurus on tuesday, Wednesday was the same training as above with extra bits thrown in for myself afterwards

Only 2 weeks to go now till london enduro so im trying to not run too much 

• Options
    Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Excellent advice Robert. A change of scenery can work wonders.

I think we can all take something from Janey’s pep talk 330. Nothing wrong with trying something new either, everybody is different and you never know until you try.

Taper starts now Janey although this week still has plenty of miles (45). Tempo run tonight, 8 miles with 4 @ 8:20 pace). After that it’s pretty much all easy running.

Like the workout B2B. There’s a class on at my local gym Friday nights where they do something along those lines, seems very popular.

Anyway, as I had a lie in this morning thought I’d pop in, say hello and lay down tonight’s run so no excuses.

• Options

JaneyH - Thanks, I needed that!! And you are correct I was feeling VERY bad about Monday and Tuesday and that maybe affected me. Again you are correct re trying to be the runner I was 10 years ago, running means so much to me and I would give anything to go back 10 years knowing what I know now and stick in at my passion and I am sure I could have got near a 3:15 marathon. But I have to accept I am 56 and although I can still run and enjoy it, its never going to be the same.

But I KNOW I shouldn't be missing 3 consistant days and that annoyed me. I do run the same distance most days and same pace, need to mix it up but ever since I started running been mileage obsessed - must have a note of every run I ever done and distance/time. You seem to be doing well in the Gym but come back slowly, make sure your right as I am sure you will

B2B - Nah not on diet, in fact stuffing my face with chocolate !! that's gotta stop !!

JR - Yup something new needed

Now for the good bit !!image What a difference a day makes !! (24 little hours, as someone once sang!!) 5.4 miles 9.27 pace and a record for this course and felt great !! So maybe I shouldn't let one day, one bad run get to me !!

Thanks all - love this thread a virtual team of inspiration !!

• Options
    JaneyHJaneyH ✭✭✭
    330 that's brilliant! Really pleased you had such a fantastic run image (my phone doesn't do the emojis so that might not come out!) It is so true that one bad run doesn't make a bad runner so stick with it and enjoy it. Plenty more to come image
  • Options
    JaneyHJaneyH ✭✭✭
    My emojis worked! image
  • Options
    JaneyHJaneyH ✭✭✭
    330 that's brilliant! Really pleased you had such a fantastic run image (my phone doesn't do the emojis so that might not come out!) It is so true that one bad run doesn't make a bad runner so stick with it and enjoy it. Plenty more to come image
  • Options

330 - nice one dude! See, just hang on and relax! Everything is easier when you relax image Use every run as a lesson, good or bad and try and find a positive. Ok so you had a "bad" run but you still went out and did it! Dont beat yourself up, smile image

• Options

3 days in a row, this is becoming a habit. 12 mins today. Weather is to be a bit better tomorrow so going out on the bike for a couple of hours. Working Sunday. Enjoy the weekend everyone.

• Options

Nice work Robert! Have a good weekend everyone image

• Options
    Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

If it’s any consolation 330, I had a crap 8 miler. The warm up was okay and I thought the run would be straight forward. 8 miles with 4 at 8:20 pace, nothing too heavy. Anyway, heavy legs and one lethargic run later I too have one to write off. I averaged 8:34 over the 4 miles, it felt much tougher than it should have but I’ve been off work all week and been rather lazy……I also like stuffing my face with chocolate and cake!

Nice one Robert, enjoy the cycling.

May – 125.51

2015 - 598.13

• Options
    Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

No parkrun for me today as the JR juniors weren't keen on running so Mrs JR got the opportunity to run alone for once. I ran when we got home, an easy 10k in 59 minutes. Was getting very warm during the run but really enjoyed it. Finally gone through 600 miles for the year. An early start tomorrow if I'm to get my run in pre-football tournament.....

May – 131.71

2015 - 604.33 image

• Options
    Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

No early run todayimage. A little annoyed with myself as after being at the football all day there was little chance of me going out tonight. My boys played very well today, just failing to qualify for the final stages by one point. We drew against and beat the two eventual finalists so a victory of sorts to take forwards. 

I may try and get an early run in before work tomorrow although that's easier said than done recently as I am completely out of sync with early alarm calls. 

May - 131.71

2015 - 604.33

• Options

parkrun for me on Saturday, felt really lethargic and went out waaay to fast (as usual) but still happy with the consistency 23:07 on their clock but there was a guy hanging about in the tunnel so happy to claim my watch time of 23:09. Feels strange to say this again so soon but its taper time! Not really too sure what im tapering from, I haven't done anything?! ha ha ha Well I guess its only been 5 weeks since the London double so that should help me out image  

• Options

Enjoyed the cycling on Saturday, only managed an hour due to work. Went out jogging for 15 mins yesterday in the worst weather probably all year, gale force winds and rain that hurt when it hit you!! It's supposed to be the Summer.

• Options

well done for getting out in it! 

• Options

Thanks all

Your all doing so well and JR fantastic mileage !!

Gotta knuckle down so targeting 100 miles this month 5.4 so far !!!

• Options
    Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭
    Ha ha B2B , if only it was possible to control yourself at the start of a 5k....I suffered so much in the second mile last time. We will never learn!

I felt the wind and rain too Robert. I was standing in the middle of a field marking out football pitches. Got absolutely drenched.

Good luck this month 330. You'll be running more miles than me. 5 easy miles last night along the canal. Out for a faster 5 tonight.

June 5

2015 - 609.33
  • Options

lol yeah my first mile was 6:48 ha ha ha image

• Options
    JaneyHJaneyH ✭✭✭

Everyone is going great guns image I did the second session of my actual run/walk schedule today on the treadmill - decided to do it on there for a few sessions just to see how my foot holds up before venturing outside as I can control the pace better - ie take it slower! Did 4 x 2 mins run/4 mins walk with a 5 min warm up and cool down walk so 34 mins in total. Did the same on Monday and also did it yesterday on the cross trainer - worked much harder on that mind! Followed up today's 'run' with an hour of whole body s&c - I'm going to be so hench (as my daughter would say) when I'm done with this image

• Options
    Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭
    Hench? Lol... What exactly does that mean? My boys tell me I am tekkers..... No, me neither
  • Options
    JaneyHJaneyH ✭✭✭
    Apparently it means fit and muscly - in the Arnold Schwartzenegger sense haha - not exactly what I'm aiming for! According to the Urban Dictionary tekkers means technically proficient - they have you sussed!
  • Options
    Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Ha Ha.... I must be doing ok then....I'm well tekkers image

• Options

oh i want to be Hench as well !! can I buy some. Lovely day up in South West Scotland managed 1.5 hrs on the bike.