Options

Fancy achieving a world record at the London Marathon ?

Comments

• Options
    I've no problems with fancy dress - it adds to the atmosphere and the race wouldn't be as big as it is without the charity aspect. I just don't see that it's right to enter with a costume that's probably about 100m long and will get in other peoples way. It's just basic decency isn't it ?
  • Options
    Lee the Pea wrote (see)
    Caroline, good luck on your endeavours.  Unfortunately there will always be a lot of miserable, moaning ******* on here that will try to crush your dreams.  The VLM is a massive charity event, and those who get annoyed by folk in fancy dress getting in their way should just sign up for one of the MANY marathons that take place elsewhere.  The same tired, pathetic complaints rear their ugly heads every single year, and sadly that won't change.   Every year we get the same complaints, so I hope this hasn't put you off.  Best of luck, and I hope you get enough people involved to beat the record image

LOL image

So 50+ people have actually spent most of their lives dreaming about being in a silly centipede/caterpillar and making a complete nuisance of themselves?

The irony is that such stunts actually do crush dreams....of those that want to do themselves proud through true achievement.

The same tired fluffy brigade come out each year thinking that the world wants to see their silly pranks - the truth is they are tolerated at best. All this crap about the crowds loving it is nonsense. Virtually all of the crowd on VLM consists of people supporting their runner. As soon as their runner passes they move on to the next point and then go home. I've never heard anyone at VLM say 'lets wait around to see the fancy dress centipededes/gorillas/fairies etc etc.

Wake up to the truth, its self indulgent and its not even interesting.

• Options
    Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

Damn me being sick and missing all the fun waaaaa image

JB I think I love you!
  • Options
    @Lee the Pea - do you really thing that a 70m long train of people, all attached to each other, is a good idea? Think about it for a minute. Think about it really hard if you can. While you're thinking about it think about how utterly stupid the idea is. Think about how such a train will get around corners. Think about how it will get through narrow pinch-points.

No one here is particularly critical of people running it in fancy dress because individual runners/joggers in fancy dress don't get in the way. A 70m trail of people all strung together will be nothing more than a slow-moving rolling roadblock. It's idiotic, and the OP should be ashamed of her thoughtlessness.
  • Options
    Has anyone emailed the guy whose email address is in the original post?
  • Options
    SesamoidSesamoid ✭✭✭

wow - what an interesting thread!

I can see both sides of the argument here, I guess only VLM have themselves to blame in terms of encouraging things like this as they have a full page devoted to it on their website about how to get in to the Guiness Book of Records!?!

I personally think the publicity this Marathon gets to raise money for charity is fantastic, I have now raised over £4000 (for Clic Sargent) and yes, it is something I would not have done if I was not doing the Marathon and everyone who has donated has done it because they want to. Some people who donated have lost children to cancer or have been through the trauma of having a child with leukaemia so I make no apologies for using the VLM as publicity for this. However, look at Children in Need, Comic Relief, Sport Relief etc etc - people would not be putting their hands in their pockets for that either unless they were being asked to. I think sometimes you need to step back and marvel at how much good people are doing but at the same time I share frustrations.

I am training very hard for this Marathon and taking it very seriously as a sport. I have found I really enjoy running (took it up 18 months ago) and I aim to run a sub 4 and do another Marathon next year and do a sub 3.45, maybe I'll get to sub 3.30 before I'm 40? I could have run in Edinburgh, which I would happily have done but I do not think I would have raised as much because it does not have the same publicity that VLM gets. Again, this is down to the whole publicity/marketing/charity bandwagon that people jump on with VLM but again, I make no apologies for it. I always said when I run my first Marathon I will do it to raise money and then I will run the others for me.

However, back to the caterpillar! I personally think it is a crazy and dangerous idea for the reasons mentioned previously and can only hope that the organisers can ensure it is put right at the back of the field so it doesn't (centi) impede image with my running and that of others. If the organisers allow it, it is really up to them to ensure the safety of the other runners and again I can see why it would get people's backs up but I can also see why people would applaud the idea.

I think this thread has stirred up a hornets nest because of the thread title, I dont feel any particular need to be in the GBWR and the fact it has been posted so close to the event asking complete strangers to join in makes me think that the idea has not been organised very well, again in my opinion. However, I do wish the caterpillar much success and sincerely hope you raise a fantastic amount for your charity!

So there's my thoughts and now I'm going to sprint off before I get lynched because although I wont be tied to another 49 people - I will be wearing an ipod! image

• Options

Well a giant caterpillar isn't going to be starting at the front of the red or blue starts is it?  I can't imagine they'll run side by side, blocking off the entire road for anyone else.  God forbid someone should actually do something a bit fun, or a bit (shock, horror) out of the ordinary! image  OMG, the world is going to end!!!!!!

So rather than be supportive, and try to think about how this idea could take shape, to benefit those aiming to do something different, whilst minimising disruption to others (and yes, I think with some planning & simple ground rules this could be achieved), the immediate reaction is negative.  I shouldn't be surprised.  There are a lot of very supportive and encouraging folk on this forum, no question, but I hate this automatic reaction of some to poo-poo others ideas, and it ALWAYS crops up at the VLM.  This marathon has a massive charity aspect, so if you're worried that you'll be held up by folk in daft costumes, don't enter!!!!!  Intermanuat, to say the OP should be 'ashamed of her thoughtlessness', seriously???  Get a grip!!! 

I'm not sure why so many people get obvious satisfaction from belittling the ideas of others, but I applaud those who have ideas to do something a bit different, try something new, and I hope they succeed.  If they do, and contrary to the general consensus on here, i don't expect I read a headline in The Times stating "Marathon RUINED by Giant Caterpillar"  image  Although of course i'm sure plenty of folk will be praying for such an outcome, just so you can say "I told you so...."

I don't know why this annoys me so much, but i'd rather be supportive and find a solution than automatically assume it won't work and will ruin it for everyone. 

• Options
    You do get wound up easily don't you Lee. Nobody has issues with costumes. A stupidly long costume is well just that - stupid.
    Hopefully they will start at the back but they'll still be blocking people and getting in the way - you can't run straight in the VLM.

Easy way round it is "to not run as a bloody long caterpillar". I am very supportive of runners but this just seems to be done with little thought to those athletes having to run alongside them.
  • Options
    Miggito wrote (see)

wow - what an interesting thread!

I personally think the publicity this Marathon gets to raise money for charity is fantastic, I have now raised over £4000 (for Clic Sargent) and yes, it is something I would not have done if I was not doing the Marathon and everyone who has donated has done it because they want to. Some people who donated have lost children to cancer or have been through the trauma of having a child with leukaemia so I make no apologies for using the VLM as publicity for this. However, look at Children in Need, Comic Relief, Sport Relief etc etc - people would not be putting their hands in their pockets for that either unless they were being asked to. I think sometimes you need to step back and marvel at how much good people are doing but at the same time I share frustrations.

Two interesting points from that:

1. They are more examples of people being emotionally arm twisted given that the charities cant mean that much to the givers if they wouldnt have given otherwise.

2. CIN, Sport Relief, Comic Relief etc are 100% charity fund raising events NOT high ranking sports events.

You are actually making a good point in that there is absolutely no need whatsoever for charities to fuck up the VLM when there are other ways/vehicles by which they can raise funds, even if they do feel that emotional arm twisting is a necessity (which it may well be).

• Options
    SesamoidSesamoid ✭✭✭

Hi Lee,

Maybe my post came across the wrong way?

I have absolutely no problem with the fancy dress and funny costumes etc - I think its great! I am worried about the safety impact of 50 people running 26 miles tied together though....

• Options

Do you have to get special permission to do something like this ie explain what you'll do at feed stations etc? All those plastic cups on the ground and they could be like human dominoes.

Remember a few years ago when Mick had problems getting permission to run with Phil. Makes that problem all the more ridiculous. 

• Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Good luck to the caterpillar!

Anyone who has run the marathon before will remember getting to the point at about mile 21/22 (I think) and looking across the road at the weary-looking folks who are only halfway round. There are a fair few of them, but they're spread out and couldn't possibly be getting in anyone's way, even with 50 tied together. Despite the fact that they've got at least the same time still to go, they look happy (ish) and seem to be collecting a fair bit of cash. And why not?image

(Plus morbidly fancy-dressed people are made to start at the back).

• Options

Oh Miggito,sorry, I wasn't ranting at you!!!  My rants were aimed elsewhere!  Well done for raising £4K & good luck with the mara image

I think if there are safety concerns for those running, they have to take responsibility for that, and if someone gets hurt, well, you just have to get on with it.  H&S is one thing, but folk need to take personal responsibility, and if there is a risk, then you live with it, mitigate it as best you can or else don't do it.  A train of folk that long would likely end up being away at the back of the race, and is unlikely to impact on too many others anyway, i'm guessing...?

• Options

I think it's going to be lucky to finish in one piece.

It was at Silverstone on Sunday and was reasonably good and started near the back. However, it set off at 11 min/mile pace, then pulled over to stop at ~ 2.5 miles. They were all dressed in so many layers, including the obligatory charity T shirt, that they looked prepared for a trip to the arctic. Finish time was approaching 3 hours, I believe.

And yes, I'm sure there were some ipods on its ears...

It didn't appear to be getting in the way massively, the rear runners were in bright colours and had notice son there backs. Also there were some individuals running along side the 'pillar. Can't understand wanting to sign up, though.

So if someone has a really bad day & hits the wall, what happens then  - they get cut loose? Is the record for the number of people who start, or finish? I was ahead of it by the first drink station, so I don;t know how it fared there.

• Options
    SesamoidSesamoid ✭✭✭
    parkrunfan wrote (see)

Two interesting points from that:

1. They are more examples of people being emotionally arm twisted given that the charities cant mean that much to the givers if they wouldnt have given otherwise.

2. CIN, Sport Relief, Comic Relief etc are 100% charity fund raising events NOT high ranking sports events.

You are actually making a good point in that there is absolutely no need whatsoever for charities to fuck up the VLM when there are other ways/vehicles by which they can raise funds, even if they do feel that emotional arm twisting is a necessity (which it may well be).

Parkrun, I'm sorry to disagree but the point I was making with number (1.) is that most people don't give to charity - full stop. It's things like VLM that actually raise awareness and then people can contribute. For me personally, there has been no emotional arm twisting as you put it and everyone was (very) happy to donate.

With regards to point (2.), I do take your point about them not being sporting events but as I stated above, people are willing to contribute or they just wouldn't. I still feel the VLM now (and has been for a good few years now) is more geared towards fundraising and is marketed in this way. I guess also the VLM (like other Marathons in the world) could also really be classed a high ranking sporting event for maybe about 30% of the runners?

• Options

Anyone who looks to do a PB at London is a nutter, especially if they need to pass the overly large fancy dress brigade because for some strange reason they've started behind them in the first place in a race that is renowned for fancy dress chairty runners.

Good luck to the caterpillar.  £100k is an outstanding amount of money to raise.  So what if it's not given to a cause that each member is 100% dedicated to.  I've been pretty lucky in my life so far - I have no charity that I'm particularly committed to, does this mean I shouldn't give to charity?  Does it balls.  I have a charity in mind for this year's VLM but I'll probably only tap work for funds as I don't like pressing friends for money and I'll probably end up 'sponsoring myself' to turn it into a decent amount.

Each member of the caterpillar still has to run 26.2 and has my admiration as much as anybody else completing the race.

• Options

Everyone appears happy to donate when put on the spot but I think Moraghan's comments earlier were probably a fairer reflection of reality. But thats not really the issue.

Miggito wrote (see)

With regards to point (2.), I do take your point about them not being sporting events but as I stated above, people are willing to contribute or they just wouldn't. I still feel the VLM now (and has been for a good few years now) is more geared towards fundraising and is marketed in this way. I guess also the VLM (like other Marathons in the world) could also really be classed a high ranking sporting event for maybe about 30% of the runners?

But the VLM incorporates the British Marathon Championships, ie the pinnacle of marathon running in the country.

Why is it so alien and outlandish for many on here to consider the idea that it should be the best 37,000 (or whatever) marathon runners in the country taking part?

Yes, yes, yes - we know there are those of you who want to shout the word 'elitist'. But why? Every other sports event on the planet just about works in this way.

• Options
    Didn't Paula pb at London ?
  • Options
    Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭
    Kosie Jelly wrote (see)

Anyone who looks to do a PB at London is a nutter, especially if they need to pass the overly large fancy dress brigade because for some strange reason they've started behind them in the first place in a race that is renowned for fancy dress chairty runners.

Good luck to the caterpillar.  £100k is an outstanding amount of money to raise.  So what if it's not given to a cause that each member is 100% dedicated to.  I've been pretty lucky in my life so far - I have no charity that I'm particularly committed to, does this mean I shouldn't give to charity?  Does it balls.  I have a charity in mind for this year's VLM but I'll probably only tap work for funds as I don't like pressing friends for money and I'll probably end up 'sponsoring myself' to turn it into a decent amount.

Each member of the caterpillar still has to run 26.2 and has my admiration as much as anybody else completing the race.

What apart from all those runners competing in their national championship?

Paula set her (at the time) worlds best of 2:18 on the course so it is fast (or even 2:15 I stand corrected)

I'd actually like them to move the national championship out of the charity fest since the aims of both are diverging rapidly (which is only further emphaised by this debate every year), but then there is nowhere else in the UK as fast, as well set-up (in terms of logistics) and suitable to hold that many runners for a full marathon. 

• Options
    SesamoidSesamoid ✭✭✭

Parkrun, as I said I can see both sides of the argument here so to an extent I do agree with you, my point is that it is the organisers who have turned the London Marathon into what it is today. The serious runners don't like it, the charities love it, some people just want to do it because of what it is now etc etc , there will always be debate about these issues. I would love to see the top 30 odd thousand marathon runners in the country (world) taking part - it would indeed be an amazing race but again unless the organisers market it in this way, it's not going to happen. There is too much money involved now (not just for charities) with Branson involved and the tourism it generates for London/mass sponsorship form the corporates etc etc.....

Kosie Jelly, if you are implying I am a nutter then I would agree imagethis is my first Marathon so any time I get would be a personal best image apologies if I came across the worng way....

• Options
    I guess this is all my fault...image
  • Options

Obviously! image

Looks like there is a centipede taking part in the Paris Marathon the week before VLM with 50 runners which is presumably why the London one is looking for extra legs at this late stage.

Cenitpede Wars image

• Options

Now why dont you see any of these centipede record attempts in any of the triathlon championships?

That would be worth watching..........image

• Options
    This thread's got legs...
  • Options

I think one of the reasons for the rise in triathlon is the degrading of running as a sport due to people regarding it as a charity event. Marathon running used to be regarded as something special, but it's been forever downgraded in the eyes of many because everybody knows someone who walked round in 6 hours dressed as a fairy after minimal training and many think that's what marathon running is about.

If you want to organise a new road race these days then it's practically compulsory to get charity involved if you want any kind of cooperation from local councils, and I think that's entirely down to London marathon.

• Options

Thank dog they didn't think of doing a millipede image