Options

Fancy achieving a world record at the London Marathon ?

Comments

• Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    cougie wrote (see)
    Didn't Paula pb at London ?

She got to start right at the front - obviously this gives her a massive advantage over the rest of us!

If I hadn't been trapped further back, I'd have been right on her shoulder. image

Perhaps they should have two races - one for people who wear running attire, and one which starts an hour later for anyone wearing a costume.

• Options
    Jeepers wrote (see)

Thank dog they didn't think of doing a millipede image

Jeez, I've now got images of a dog trying to do a millipede.

Thanks for that.....image

• Options

British swimming champs at the moment. Can I turn up in a shark outfit and swim the 400m for charity?

People who enter the national championships at any timed sport should be able to aim for a PB, and not be labelled a nutter for thinking that.

The VLM could accept entries from the fastest applicants based on previous marathon (or HM or 20 mile) times. If the centipede qualifies then fair enough. Or I could stop dreaming!

• Options
    parkrunfan wrote (see)
    Jeepers wrote (see)

Thank dog they didn't think of doing a millipede image

Jeez, I've now got images of a dog trying to do a millipede.

Thanks for that.....image

imageimage
  • Options
    chubby bloke wrote (see)

British swimming champs at the moment. Can I turn up in a shark outfit and swim the 400m for charity?

People who enter the national championships at any timed sport should be able to aim for a PB, and not be labelled a nutter for thinking that.

The VLM could accept entries from the fastest applicants based on previous marathon (or HM or 20 mile) times. If the centipede qualifies then fair enough. Or I could stop dreaming!

What a dastardly elitist you are!!!! image
  • Options
    The National Judo Championships for people wearing Elvis costumes - I'd pay good money to see that.
  • Options
    Mr VMr V ✭✭✭
    parkrunfan wrote (see)

Everyone appears happy to donate when put on the spot but I think Moraghan's comments earlier were probably a fairer reflection of reality. But thats not really the issue.

Agree with this. I'm often asked for sponsorship money and I always give it with a smile. It doesn't mean I'm not secretly resenting having to hand over the cash. Maybe I'm just tight though......

I think most runners are happy for there to be a charity element to London and other big events such as the GNR, the issue for most is the fact that these events have become almost entirely charity focused. I'm sure a middle ground exists somewhere. Something along the lines of massively increasing the number of places available for those achieving a qualifying time and putting dedciated pens at the back of the field for those running in fancy dress, ensuring they don't clog up the field further up. If 20% of places were available to those achieving a qualifying time then this would restore the event as having meaning as a race whilst still allowing slower competitors and charity runners a chance at competing. 

• Options

Really they should go all the way down the Centipede theme for charity :

Human Centipede Film 

• Options
    musketeermusketeer ✭✭✭
    chubby bloke wrote (see)

I thought they had banned those fancy technical swim suits?

Mind you there were some pictures in the Metro last year or so with a very fit Italian swimer who had split her costumeimage

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭

That Human Centipede film .. fascinating stuff Cougie.

"created by stitching their mouths to each others' rectums" .... one wonders if they managed to attract any willing volunteers??  

• Options

Boston remains all the more attractive to runners because of the qualifying time....image

Just a thought.

• Options
    Boston?

Is that based on more than a feeling?
  • Options
    Good thinking - why don't I dress up a centipede with 50 other clowns and run the London marathon and collect sponsorship so I can pay for a flight to Boston .
  • Options
    Wilkie wrote (see)

Perhaps they should have two races - one for people who wear running attire, and one which starts an hour later for anyone wearing a costume.

I actually think that's a darned good idea.

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Kosie Jelly wrote (see)

Anyone who looks to do a PB at London is a nutter.

Really?  fwiw, my top 3 times have all been in London, and I would guess many on sub-3 & sub-3:15 threads have PB'd there.   
  • Options

It's already effectively separate races, if a caterpillar starts at the back of pen 9 it's going to cross the start line about 30 minutes after the elite men. VLM do a very good job of making sure that the championship and elite race isn't upset by the antics at the back, the problem then is that all "fun runners" are lumped into the same category, when the person who's trained really hard to break four hours doesn't want to be lumped in with a caterpillar. 

Mr Viper wrote (see)

I think most runners are happy for there to be a charity element to London and other big events such as the GNR, the issue for most is the fact that these events have become almost entirely charity focused. I'm sure a middle ground exists somewhere. Something along the lines of massively increasing the number of places available for those achieving a qualifying time and putting dedciated pens at the back of the field for those running in fancy dress, ensuring they don't clog up the field further up. If 20% of places were available to those achieving a qualifying time then this would restore the event as having meaning as a race whilst still allowing slower competitors and charity runners a chance at competing. 

I agree with enforcing pens for people in costume. I thought people in bulky costumes were supposed to start at the back anyway though? Is it poorly enforced? Having said that if we're talking pen etiquette I'd take a rhino doing 9m/m over someone finding out that their martial arts background has only prepared them for a run/walk any day.

To  "massively increase" the number of places for qualifying times though you're talking about dropping the qualifying time not increasing the number places per se. There are loads of automatic places available for VLM but people aren't hitting the qualifying times to take them up - that's why the women's GFA is now 3.50. And does anyone fancy opening that can of worms of what a suitable qualifying time would be to ensure that "real runners" can get a place?!
    parkrunfan wrote (see)

2. CIN, Sport Relief, Comic Relief etc are 100% charity fund raising events NOT high ranking sports events.

You are actually making a good point in that there is absolutely no need whatsoever for charities to fuck up the VLM when there are other ways/vehicles by which they can raise funds, even if they do feel that emotional arm twisting is a necessity (which it may well be).

Agreed with this, and I think it's interesting that charities are now trying to find their own events, like Shelter and their tower running event last week.

• Options

Indeed - I notice there were no reported centipedes doing the Vertical Rush last Saturday.

Why not? Was it not on telly or something? image

Anyway, there is a glimmer of hope that VLM will start returning to what it used to be now that there is a Brasher at the helm once more.

Despite there being waiting lists of charities wanting to snap up places, circumstancially it would appear that there is more (and later) advertising by charities each year trying get their places taken up. You only need a few of them to take the hit of wasted places and they will start looking elsewhere for fund raising opportunities.

It may well be that in 5 years time there may actually be a fully fledged marathon in London again. Well, nothing wrong with a bit of optimistic thinking anyway.......

• Options

I've heard a rumour that charidees are queueing up for this race.

• Options
    Well for a fact I know all runners have been running half marathons nearly every week. There was no problems at Silverstone and they are running in 2s so didn't get in the way of anyone. I also know that scope, the charity that the centipede is running for is very very close to the hearts of those who are running. i also know that this is going to be the person who organized the centipede's last marathon because of a heart condition. yes he has run marathons before and since this is his last one he wanted to go out with a bit of a bang. what's wrong with this? and it's going to cause no more harm (if any harm at all) to any of the other runners than all the people in they're big fancy dress costumes. I personally think it's really pathetic to abuse the idea when you yourselves don't really know anything about it or about the amount of work having to be done.
  • Options
    Runner606 wrote (see)
    I also know that scope, the charity that the centipede is running for is very very close to the hearts of those who are running.

Well that's a load of baloney right off, given that the original post that was asking for more people to join them didn't mention the charity at all, just the "challenge of becoming a world record holder".

Runner606 wrote (see)
    I personally think it's really pathetic to abuse the idea when you yourselves don't really know anything about it or about the amount of work having to be done.

You mean the same idea that was done last year and got in the way of loads of other runners, despite being much smaller than this chain?  No, nobody knows anything about it at all.

Runner606 wrote (see)
    Well for a fact I know all runners have been running half marathons nearly every week. There was no problems at Silverstone and they are running in 2s so didn't get in the way of anyone.
    Of course if they're running in twos they won't get in the way of anyone.  Here's a suggestion - why don't they try the same at VLM?

• Options
    Sorry Runner606, I can't see a chain of 25 pairs of people stopping at a water station without causing issues for anyone else there. Other runners could get blocked in / stopped from getting there. If I'm wrong I'm sorry.
    It will require incredible coordination when going round bends to stop pushing other runners out or squeezing them into a corner.
    In fact, the more I think about it, the more ridiculous the idea is.
    All of what you say may be true, and for the sake of the runners taking VLM seriously I hope it works, but if the centipede ruins the race for just one other runner then is it worth the risk?
  • Options
    Runner606 wrote (see)
    Well for a fact I know all runners have been running half marathons nearly every week.

You know that for a fact do you? How? image Do you have ALL their schedules?

The word "fact" suggests proof.

ALL runners have been running half marathons "nearly every week"image

And the moon is made of cheese.

• Options
    Runner606 wrote (see)
    Well for a fact I know all runners have been running half marathons nearly every week.

So they'll all be completely knackered then?

Runner606 wrote (see)
    There was no problems at Silverstone

I'm sure the thread was about London NOT Silverstone. There is a slight difference.

Runner606 wrote (see)
    the charity that the centipede is running for is very very close to the hearts of those who are running.

All of them? Thats impressive considering there seems to be an open invitation for anyone to join in.

Runner606 wrote (see)
    I personally think it's really pathetic to abuse the idea when you yourselves don't really know anything about it or about the amount of work having to be done.

Dont know anything about what? Most people who have commented on this thread have plenty of personal experience of the VLM and potential issues/problems.

They may not have specific centipede specific knowledge but I'm sure they're prepared to continue their lives in the knowledge that they have that gaping gap in their education.

Do you think that, with your first post on the forum, that you will have won around the doubters with that  rant?

• Options

Not such a recent concept then?

LIVERBIRD wrote (see)
    Runner606 wrote (see)

Not the impression you get when you look around t'interwebby and see what reports there are about training...

• Options
    That's an interesting article Jeeps! And good use of the word "infesting" image
  • Options

You can tell how standards have slipped Jeepers, that centipede was aiming for 2.20!

And maybe I'm too cut-throat, but I think if you have to explain a catchy gimmick, it's maybe not such a good one. At least with the giant testicle everyone gets what charity he's running for. 

• Options
    LIVERBIRD wrote (see)
    That's an interesting article Jeeps! And good use of the word "infesting" image

Wobbled wrote (see)

You can tell how standards have slipped Jeepers, that centipede was aiming for 2.20!

Imagine that creeping up on Paula Radcliffe...