Options

Fancy achieving a world record at the London Marathon ?

Comments

• Options

We did have a guy with a fridge on his back at MK parkrun

Is there any cake left?

• Options
    Ultra Sparkly Bridget wrote (see)

We did have a guy with a fridge on his back at MK parkrun

Is there any cake left?

My colleagues son ... has done IM with the same fridge

*not the same guy Jeepers
  • Options
    Even the swim ?
  • Options
    Jeepers wrote (see)

parkrunfan, while I agree with a lot of what you say, just check seren out before you go much further.image

You might find, for eg that she runs park runs as part of her mara training. 

And that she's one of Forum Six. . .

I think it's fair to say that she has grasped what running is about in all honesty.

Just sayin' . . .

I think it was taking in the spirit it was intended (or hopefully anyway?)image

On the parkrun front, I did say 'if you havent already'

and the 'grasping what running was all about' was in direct response to the comments regarding fancy dress being a big part of attracting people to running. Thats all.

Anyway, just to throw some facts into the equation, the number of women in the early London marathons were:

1981 330 (4.3%)

1982 1,393 (7.7%)

1983 1,677 (8.5%)

1984 3,210 (15.2%)

So there was nothing wrong with the early tv coverage in terms of attracting women into the sport, in just 3 years there was a 10-fold increase in numbers and a 4-fold increase in the percentage of the field they comprised. Pretty impressive growth figures.

The women's times ranged from 2:21 to 8:25, so a complete range of abilities.

• Options
    yep, tows it in a canoe

Think he is on the home page for MK Tri,  raising money for Help for Heroes
  • Options
    parkrunfan wrote (see)
    Jeepers wrote (see)

parkrunfan, while I agree with a lot of what you say, just check seren out before you go much further.image

I think it's fair to say that she has grasped what running is about in all honesty.

Just sayin' . . .

and the 'grasping what running was all about' was in direct response to the comments regarding fancy dress being a big part of attracting people to running. Thats all.

Oh, OK, hadn't picked that up, sorry, thought it was aimed at seren.  image

• Options
    Can you do park runs in fancy dress? - it's a damn liberty if you can't... I avoid paying my council tax for those parks!?!
  • Options

I've done the GNR and parkruns in fancy dress, not for charity - just for a bit of fun.  The kids watching love it and the support is really good.

I was very aware of trying not to get in anyones way, and made all efforts not to cause an inconvenience at the water stations.  To be honest all feedback I got from the other runners was positive, except maybe a couple of folks in the final mile who didn't wanna be beaten by a girl in a ballgown.

Having said that, linking 50 people together is daft, it may break some record, but I'd put money on the fact that there'll be injuries resulting from it on the way round.  I did some training in the big pink dress I wore, and it took a good while to get used to the size of the thing. 

I've seen the lasses at my local bootcamp trying to run together carrying a length of rope, it almost always ends up with one or two dropping off the end, and the rest crashing together in the middle.  I hope the 50 are gonna do at least a few training runs first

• Options
    Jeepers wrote (see)
    Jeepers wrote (see)
    parkrunfan wrote (see)
    Jeepers wrote (see)

Just sayin' . . .

Oh, OK, hadn't picked that up, sorry, thought it was aimed at seren.  image

Me and Seren have agreed on 3 things already - we're getting along great guns! image
  • Options
    In fact we are getting on so well i am thinking of asking him to help plan my costume for VLMimage
  • Options

LOL image

How about a pair of running shorts and a running vest? Outlandish I know, but it might just catch on if you're brave enough to start the trend.......image

• Options
    just thought I'd add - there's no way I'd even consider doing London or any other marathon in fancy dress.  It's ok for a bit of a laugh, but after 10 or 11 miles the costume (unless it's one of those figure hugging lycra jobs), feels like it weighes about 20 tonnes, and I was sweating like a cooked pig.  Musta lost about 5 or 6 lbs in sweat alone.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    LS21 wrote (see)
    I'm doing the Park Run tomorrow dressed as a pair of centipede testicles in a Bat Man outfit wearing an Elvis wig
    .. at least that will be better colour co-ordinated than the stuff you normally race in..  image
  • Options
    meldy - that's our fridge man.  We even had an angler coming over (with his morning tinnie in hand) to give us money to pass on to him for H4H
  • Options
    LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    Wardi wrote (see)
    LS21 wrote (see)
    I'm doing the Park Run tomorrow dressed as a pair of centipede testicles in a Bat Man outfit wearing an Elvis wig
    .. at least that will be better colour co-ordinated than the stuff you normally race in..  image

Hahahahaha!!  image image

Fair point well made though - especially if you saw what I DID actually wear for the Park Run this morning....

• Options
    I was overtaken this morning in the park run by someone wearing a jesters hat....I swear it was parkrunfunimage
  • Options

http://www.bryansford.com/images/history/2006/fancy%20dress%20group.jpg

He's in there somewhere....image

• Options
    seren nos wrote (see)
    I was overtaken this morning in the park run by someone wearing a jesters hat....I swear it was parkrunfunimage
     When did I become parkrunfun?

We'll have a less of that sort of thing - we non fancy dress runners are miserable, grumpy sods who will run a mile at breakneck speed in the opposite direction if fun is involved you know! image
  • Options
    I reckon you're in the Santa costume on the end PRF! image
  • Options
    Well I did get advised that I was the 'fattest in the top 10' after last week's parkrun......so I can see the resemblance!image
  • Options
    Tell them it's hard carrying all that love muscle weight around but someone has to do it....image
  • Options
    How did the caterpillar do ? I didn't see it on the highlights or in the race itself ?
  • Options
    I saw someone being interviewed talking about "the caterpillar" during the run. FWICT he wasn't part of it but was involved with it. Turns out they were running side-by-side, not just in a long 75m long line.

I didn't see it on any of the coverage, but you'd expect it to have been picked up by some cameras.
  • Options
    Cougie, searching the results with the surname of the OP gives one name, who finished in the same time as a whole lot of other people who all also had the same time at halfway.  Must be them - around 7:40 or so.
  • Options
    Its definitely them - theres a whole bunch of people dressed alike........looks nowt like a caterpillar though. image
  • Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Maybe they went into pupa stage around Embankment and going down the Mall they were flying!

(This is my second caterpillar joke in a week.)

Taxi!

• Options
    7 hours 40 ? Thats a long day at the office.
  • Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    Oh no, the other one was a centipede wasn't it.  Ah, whatever...
  • Options
    LS21LS21 ✭✭✭