Options

Brighton Marathon 2012

Comments

• Options
    TimO: sounds like you got a bargain there.
  • Options

TimO you will love it especially when you put all the info on the garmin site...

Well just finished 4 days in a row running a total of 20 miles.. and gym work and a gruelling circuit class last nite..a rest day tomorrow image..

• Options

Morning all

Well should have done 4 yesterday so decided to do them on the treadmill but had to give in after 2 miles as my left knee the one i jar before Christmas started giving me a real problem it still not right now i will give it a little test today if there no joy i will have to get up to the doctors

• Options

Hi all - got 9 miles done this morning and it felt really tough, I think it is a lack of fitness.

Tim0 - hope you enjoy the garmin

Toby3 - hope the knee is ok.

DanE - I think we are rivals on Jantastic

take care everyone

• Options

yvonne: sounds like you deserve that rest day.

toby: hope the knee is feeling better.

10 miles for me today in 1:32:10. Was sunny and mild out, which made it enjoyable, even more so knowing we have some colder weather heading away in next day or two.

• Options
    Sounds like everyone is getting on well. Manic at work so up a 5am the last two days for 5miles of intervals yesterday and an 8mile slow run today. May put off tomorrows run til friday morning to have some sleepimage
  • Options
    Toby hope your knee is nothing too serious and a day or 2 rest will be ok...i know how infuriating injury is....well no running for me today but i did do my hours pilates class to strenghen up the core this evening..its a 45 min threshold run for me tomorrow, followed by a circuit class for an hour in the evening, rest on friday and according to my sam murphy plan just a 10k run on sat..
  • Options
    Solent, sounds like a good run there. Likewise, Spen and Stig keeping up the hard work and Yvonne, I see you don't really know how to take a day of rest image (but I agree that Pilates is a good choice image )
    Toby sorry to hear about the knee. hope it clears up soon.
    TimO Enjoy the Garmin!!
    Karen and Xine Enjoy the new trainers!! I'm planning to get a new pair next week, but I don't think I'll be going down the minimalist route ...
    Apologies for anyone I've missed

Had a short 7 miler at under 8mm pace this evening, so I was pleased with that. (Very flat and very little wind, makes such a difference!) Also caught a brilliant sunset over Brighton seafront image

Waves to all imageimageimage
  • Options

Morning all

Well got the 5 miles in used the treadmill ran 3 walked 2 but at the moment i don’t care how i do them as long as i get them in then a hot bath with the spar mat going then on the settee with a bag of frozen chips wrapped in a towel on it seems a bit easier today

Will rice it again today as it’s a rest day

Juggler well done on the run and the pace

Yvonne glad to read you got back in the swing i am hoping the knee will clear up soon

STIG 109 great dedication on your part getting up at that time in the morning

S/R some great running from you as per normal

Spen knowing you it won’t be long before you’re banging out that sort of distance effortlessly

wave to everyone else and hopes your training is going a cording to plan

• Options
    Well my diligent following of 3 mid week runs didn't last long, 1 week. But I have got the mother of all excuses.... I was furiously negotiating the sale of my business!!! The deed is done, anyone got a job going? I'm hard working, will be slightly distracted until mid-April and I've booked 16th April off as holiday.

Hope I've done the right thing
  • Options
    Danny Excuse accepted!! I trust you got the right sort of deal and good luck with the job hunting. -Of course, it means you'll have no excuses next week!!! image

Toby I think I've mentioned before, I frequently use run/walk strategy and find it really helps in recovery phase. Glad to hear you got the 5 completed and I hope you will soon be back to full strength.
  • Options

Hi all, a nice 7 miler this morning av 9.05 mm, abit slower than I would like but there is plenty of time..

Toby3 - I hope the knee is getting better, and can we define "effortlessly"

I love this next few weeks as the excitement builds towards the big day and the training starts to fall into place, good luck to everyone.

Is anyone else doing Jantastic ???

• Options

SPEN......the endurolyte man!!!

So i got them and been taking before a long run...hard to tell if they do anything cos i never had cramp in training BUT previously i must have been dehydrated cos i wouldnt have a wee for most of the day after a long run whereas last week i was in there loads!!!! scuse the details!!! Also do you just drink normally with them and what about gels!!?? How often are you going to take them on race day??

Please tell me that if you feel the cramp coming you can just take them and it will disappear...i`m with you...just aiming to finish without cramp!!!!!!!

• Options

Mattys Mum - glad they work for you as well, I only tend to use them when it is warm or a really long run, I will however use them on the big day and probably take 3 before the race, and 3 at half way, and have a few spare. I just drink normally energy drinks and water and yes I take gels with them, I use Torq gels as they taste yummy. When I did my ultra I felt cramp coming on and had minor cramp at one point I took the endurolytes about 3 with some fluid and the cramp went away fairly quickly. The doses I take are probably higher than what you would need as I am heavier than most runners so adjust them for your own weight.

take care

• Options

Thanks for that....yeah i`m only using on runs over 2 hours.....and just 1 so far until the weather warms up for race day. Sooner or later it is going to be wet windy and cold for April marathons...maybe this year!!! and then we wont even need the endurolytes!!!

• Options

Morning all!

No running for me last night but I went to a pilates class - during my run on Tues, I managed to trip over a lose paving stone and had a bit of a niggle in my calf as a result. But luckily the pilates seems to  have banished it, I'm going to yoga at lunchtime and will try another 4 miler this evening.

Matty's Mum - I've also been wondering when to start incorporating gels into my training. I stupidly tried them for the first time during a half marathon in Oct and I hated the taste & texture of the gels, and found that although I was ok during the race, I felt very nauseous once I had finished. I've got some Shot Blox (sort of like big cubes of jelly) and I received many many packs of jellybeans for Christmas so I think I'm going to experiment with those before I try gels again. (A very convoluted excuse for eating sweets image )

Does anyone know of a good sports masseur in Brighton? I'm staying over the night after the marathon and hoping to get in a sports massage before I head home on the Monday.

• Options

Juggler - thank you image I'm still enjoying the new shoes feeling, although I've worn them on a few muddy runs already so they don't look new anymore.

Is anyone else headed to the training seminars on Sunday? I'm going to the afternoon session image

• Options

Afternoon all.

7 mile trail run Tuesday morning, followed by a lazy 4 miles yesterday afternoon. Rest day today. But in other news, wheres my Garmin?!? image

Xine: a good lesson there. Always try out new gels / drinks prior to race day. Certain gels are nicer than others, so don't right them all off straight away. 

MattysMum: Fingered crossed for a cool, but dry, April image

• Options

Xine as TimO there are many types of Gel out there but the shot Blox are just as good for the last 2 i have used the lucozade sports ones but at the end of last year swap to a different one as they were easier to take and tasted better so i will be trying them this year

I tend to only use them on my long runs now but when i started using the new ones i took one  with me when  i went out on a short run to break then in and get use to them just in case they did not agree with me and i was stuck miles from home

During the race i was taking one every 3 miles but that was mainly due to the fact that the lucozade sports gels need to be taken with water and the water stations were every 3 miles

As for hydration i have now bought myself s camelback which holds a 1.5 Lts of water  which i use when training not for the race so i can take water when i like others ways are per plant water around the route you are running or i used to take some money with me and stop in shops to buy some

it’s going to depend on how hot it is as to how much you need to take on race day but i tend to take water at every station (if you have heard this story before i do send my apologises) i learnt the hard way

when i ran my first half in Bristol all i used was a foil pouch of lucozade sports drink and it was Ok so the next time i ran at Bath i try the same the mistake was all the training was done in weather much as it is now but the race took place on the 2 hottest days of the year they had 120 people go down during the race with heat exhaustion  

Bath is run on a 2 loop course and with the lack of water i was taking i swear to this day that someone added an extra mile in that second loop

• Options

TimO and toby3 - thank you for the advice image I had run half marathons before with just occasional sips of water and sports drink at the later water stations, so thought I'd be fine doing the same in Oct ... then it all went a bit gnarly around 10 miles and I gratefully took gels from a friend. Ick. I will definitely practice with sports drinks, Shot Blox (and sweets image) leading up to Brighton, I've got a good number of races booked in over the next few months plus all the long training runs, so plenty of opportunity. One of the main things I disliked about the gels was the texture, I can't imagine that changes very much between brands - so I've put them to the bottom of my list of things to try re: refuelling strategies.

toby3 - I take my camelbak on long slow runs, but I don't usually use it in races and I'm not sure if I'll use it in Brighton. Again, thats something I need to practice with in training and at races and work out what is the best strategy for hydrating during the race. My problem is that if I have water with me in races, then I tend to drink too much and then feel sloshy or get a stitch or need the loo!

Good idea to plant water around my training routes or take a few quid out with me so I can buy something on the go ... the only thing that I don't like about my camelbak is the sloshing noise! image

• Options
    Its all Ok now, I've got a new job already!!! Its my old one!?! Its going to be mighty confusing. They think I'm a really hard worker, but that was the whole point of selling up to kick-back and relax a bit.

All I can remember of the Shot Blox in Brighton last year was 1,000's of half eaten/slightly nibbled pink jelly-like cubes littered along the side of the road. They didn't look like they went down massively well. I left mine on the side of the road. If you think gel texture is bad wait until you get a shot blox.

I am very discerning about my gels - I only like the cheapest ones!!! Oh and the ones you don't have to drink loads of water with. The caffeine ones make my go a bit hyper but I just have to make sure I skip the coffee
  • Options

xine267: The sloshing you hear in your Camelbak is caused by the air at the top. What you need to do is after filling your bladder with liquid, before putting it in the Camblebak, is to turn it up side down and suck all the air out. You will not believe how much quieter it is after doing this.

As for race nutrition, I have never used gels before in any of my previous marathons or long training runs, but have now discovered some Lucozade Orange gels in Asdas for about 78p each, which seems a bit cheaper then any of the others I have seen, (unless bulk buying that is), so have started getting a few to try out. Not that I have had a problem in distance running of hitting the wall since my first couple of marathons, but it could be worth a try to see if I can go faster in the later stages of long distance races.

• Options
    Well my diligent following of 3 mid week runs didn't last long, 1 week. But I have got the mother of all excuses.... I was furiously negotiating the sale of my business!!! The deed is done, anyone got a job going? I'm hard working, will be slightly distracted until mid-April and I've booked 16th April off as holiday.

Hope I've done the right thing
  • Options
    I use high 5 gels they are alot more liquid than conventional gels and you dont need to take them with water and best of all they dont make me feel sick and they dont sit heavy in my stomach..but i do like the lucozade energy drinks alot more than powerade i must say...at brighton if i need one ill go for the blue one cos it tastes the nicer( if you can call it nice) than the other ones..sorry makers of powerade..
  • Options
    Have yet to find gels that suit me. Have been known to throw up trying out different types! Will probably stick to water and sports drinks, although if its hot, I may also need some endurolytes as well. There was one exception tho, jelly babies seemed to be ok!!! We shall see...
    Managed another 8 miler today. Included a couple of hills so got to be good for leg strength (he says hopefully ...) image Rest day tomorrow ...

Danny good news about the job! -although your later post is now very confusing!!!!

Solent Thanks for the tip! I hadn't thought to try that one out. But then, I only generally use a camelback in summer.

Waves to all imageimageimage
  • Options
    TimO sorry for delay, manic week! Yes, I'm running again (apparently the "never again" feeling after last years race lasted all of about a week before I knew I wanted to go back for more...I have a 4 hour mark to beat(I did it in 4:05 last year)!! Hopefully the even flatter route will help image

Have fun with the Garmin. I adore my 305, can't run without it!

Happy running everyone image
  • Options

Juggler: I've run a marathon before with the drink sloshing around in the bladder of my Camelbak, it was not until after that I read a thread over the Gear side of the Forum I discovered the sucking out of air method and was pleased to find out it does work.

Oh, and is it not time you changed your avatar, Christmas seems a long time ago now.

• Options
    SolentR I agree. New picture has been uploaded and should appear soon image
  • Options

xine Solent runner is so right i turn mine upside down and squeeze the air out and the difference is a amazing got to say i wouldn’t be without mine now the only time i used it in a race was at Cricklade as they had cups instead of bottles of water

• Options
    Please ignore my post Thursday 20.55, I didn't post that. Well I did but about 14hrs earlier. Why would it copy itself and re-post?