Options

Brighton Marathon 2012

Comments

• Options
    Solent you should just enter as many races as possible rack up a load of pb's, you're on fire.
    Agf love your race report, good tips on sweetening up the Mrs. Mine has completely lost interest in running and went ape this morning as child 2 woke her up.
    I hit the streets at 6.30 today, fantastically chilly -3 I think it said. Had to shorten my run a bit to get back before the great IKEA trip.
    15 good miles. On the gel front tried a maxi-muscle viper citrus today. Tastes like a lemsip so not great.
    And this afternoon I've been testing my joints, muscles, tendons and knees out crawling about putting child 2's furniture together.
    Lot of injuries out there, stay safe kids. Some big bad boy mileage going on too, well done.
  • Options

Hi all, just to let you know Im in brighton marathon as well as Mk marathon. Bad news is two threads to try and keep an eye on!!!!

Hope u all had a better run than me today, after a great workout yesterday at the gym (on the bike) had a shocking 10mile run today. Just didnt feel good at all, hope next weeks 10mile race goes better. Too much training at the gym over the last few weeks and not enough road running is what I think.

Any one done the GVH training runs before, Im thinking of doing them this yr so I can run at RP with fellow runners rather than doing all long runs on my own.

Happy running

• Options
    On the subject of injuries...... Oh my biggest problem is an epic kit malfunction. Thought as it was cold I'd break out the thermal running tights. Disasterous consequences on my butt. I don't remember them being made of sandpaper last year. Walking like I've been on a long horse ride rather than a long run. I'll save them for the shorter mid-week jaunts can't be done with this every week, time to man up and get back in the shorts
  • Options
    Danny: I only ever run in shorts, if it is really cold I will add more tech tee-shirts under my coat and put the hat and gloves on, but then I just end up sweaty, so would probably be better to just accept getting a bit cold in the first place.
  • Options
    You're right there solent I don't know why I worry about the cold, within a mile the gloves were off this morning and jacket zip down. All I've got to show for my extra layers is my saddle sore swagger.
  • Options

Dan Ellingworth - you nearly got to take the lead in Jantastic, managed to get a dentist Sat morning, and had to have a wisdom tooth out, that was not too bad, but I dont deal with hospitals, dentists etc very well and passed out in the lift, banged and cut my head, so could not do my long run this weekend, but I did manage a slow run / walk mile yesterday to ensure that I could log all my runs.

The cold weather is really here now, it was freezing this morning, time to get out the warm gear.

Stephan I am also doing the MK marathon, two in two weeks is going to be a challenge, but brighton is my A race.

take care everyone it looks like the training is going well.

• Options
    SPEN - ouch! Hope you're ok? Well, clearly not ok, as who in the right mind would sign-up to do 2 marathons in 2 weeks image Sounds like a tough challenge to me!I

Bought a new pair of trainers yesterday, 0 miles on the clock! I wonder how many they will do leading up to the marathon?! I was going to wear them today but will be doing a trail run and I don't want to get them dirty ! image

Plan says slow 5 miles or rest - so 5 miles it will be! Feel like I need to start increasing the mileage a little.

What I don't get is how some peeps have the motivation to run at 5.30am in the morning?!! It would be great if I could but its never going to happen! image

Happy running everyone!
  • Options
    Spen - I take my hat off to you: that is some Spring motivation!!!

Chilly here as well (Derbyshire) - going out a lunchtime for a quick few miles once its warmed up a bit. Re-jigged my training plan - seem to be a few weeks ahead of schedule, so I'm planning on jumping ahead, and then repeating the later weeks.
  • Options
    Flowery fay - running at that time is the only chance I have for these two weeks. Due to work then when I get home I have a two year old and a mrs who is 37 weeks pregnant. When I finally get a chance to sit down its too late. Hopefully things will ease up soon but then will have a newborn to deal with GULP !

SR - awesomes times. Wish i could get mile splits like that
  • Options

Dan - however rough i felt I could not miss a run in jantastic.

Flowery fay - I may not be the quickest runner and cannot aim to win anything, but I do stupid challenges and normally raise money for charity, last year was a marathon, an ultra and a half in the same 12 months, this year is two marathons in two weeks and an ultra. I run early mornings to avoid too much missed family time.

Keep up the good work everyone

• Options

Well to my shame i have been feeling a bit sorry for myself what with the knee but poor DECAMP from the weight loss thread that i also post  on put me to shame as they went for a run fell and broke their ankle the same one they had broken in November kind of puts the niggle knee problem in perspective

i haven’t given up on Bath and Brighton  as the wife said i still may  be able to do them just not as quickly as i would have liked

and how ironic after all those weeks of rain and over cast sky’s now the suns out all be it a bit colder i can’t get out there  

if the doctor on Tuesday say’s it going to take weeks to heal then i will probably volunteer to help or marshals   the race as we already have our accommodation booked for the week so i will be there to cheer you all on

Waves to everyone else keep up the good work

• Options
    Toby3 - I hope the knee is not as bad as you think and the doctor will give you good news, I have my fingers crossed for you
  • Options
    Spen thanks for that i hpoe so too image
  • Options
    Toby - feel for you! Sending lots of positive healing vibes your way! Let us know how you get on.
  • Options

Spen - hope you feel much better soon, wisdom teeth are such a pain.

Toby3 - hope the knee niggle resolves, it sounds as though you are doing all the right things already but am sending good vibes your way! I had running related knee problems a couple of years ago so really feel your pain.

I did my long run on Saturday. 8 miles, 6 miles of which was doing laps of a local park (plus one mile there and back). I went running with my mum, thought the park would be best as we could keep tabs on eachother even though we were doing different distances. Good run but I didn't enjoy the lap experience as each lap was too short (0.8 of a mile! soul destroying!) , next time I'll persuade her to go to a bigger park so there is more variety.

Sunday afternoon I went to the Brighton marathon training day, which was excellent. No run along the seafront as there has been in previous years, but lots of helpful information from the experts. Main bits of news and logistic tips that might be useful for friends/family:

Race day 2012 - tell friends & family to avoid Preston Park after 8.45am. If they are inside the Park after the start of the race, then they will basically be stuck there until the very last runners have completed the circuit of the park as the organisers do not want people crossing the road while it is still being used by runners. Better to ask spectators to wait for you along the way to the Mile 2 marker, and they can then nip across to see you at Mile 4 as well.

They also said that the roundabout near the aquarium is a nightmare for spectators on race days and recommended people head to the 13 or 14 mile marker for a greater chance of spotting their runner (and their runner spotting them in the crowds of spectators). Another suggestion was if any spectators have a bike, they can cycle from the 13 mile marker to 16 mile marker and then cut down to cheer on the Road To Hell. (The organisers also promised lots more support and entertainment on the Road to Hell this year).

Water this year will be in the Dolphin smart drinking pouch (http://www.packagingdigest.com/article/510245-Dolphin_introduces_eco_friendly_water_pouch.php ), there will be no water bottles given out on the course (although poweraid will be in bottles). We were given a Dolphin pack on Sunday, they are resealable and IMO they will be annoying to run with than a bottle. I'm going to test this theory during a race or long run and will let you know!

2013 Brighton Marathon - they will change the course again to make it flatter and faster. They said they want to encourage more elites and make it a course that "Brits can break records on".

• Options

Really feel for you Toby and sending my positive thoughts along with everyone elses. 

Xine thank you for those tips, really useful, I remember now hearing peple complaining about getting stuck in Preston Park last year. Will be interesting to hear how you get on with the new water packs too.

42 miles for me last week long one was 16 miles in under two and a half hours so still possible that I might break 4 hrs.

Helen, the reason I asked about the Folksworth 15 is because it is our clubs flagship event and we have been working really hard to make sure it goes well. I am not running but will be marshalling somewhere and I can look out for you if you let me know your race number.  Along with the Stamford 30k I am also going to run the Oakley 20 in Bedford on April 1st. I am going to race Stamford and treat the Oakley as my last training run. Have you decided yet how you are going to run on Sunday?

• Options
    thanks all for the good wishes
  • Options
    Xine - thanks for the tips! image

If anyone knows where you can buy the Dolphin pouches from can you let me know - I'd like to give them a go before the big day too.

Well I've done 5M today in 44:59 - plan said 'easy' 5M but I'm not sure what that means??! Should it be about the same pace as LSR? I was planning on a trail run but decided to stick to the road (didn't want mucky my new trainers!). My calf's felt sore but I managed to keep going. Speed work on the treadmill tomorrow, so hoping to work out my Max Heart Rate - be interesting to see what this is as I've never done it before!

Have a nice evening everyone!
  • Options

they are selling them on the office Brighton marathon site for  £1 a pouch but i bet you could get them cheaper on the internet

• Options
    toby sending you good vibes hope your knee isnt as bad as first thought..thinking of you tomorrow..and thanks for the pouch selling tip thinks i may have to get 1 or 2 to experiment before the day..dont want to look like a loon trying to drink from them and having to stop to fathom it out image
  • Options

yvonne - they did say that all the pouches will be handed out ready opened (but still with the resealable tab attached) but it is a good idea to get a few to practice with before race day just in case. I don't want to be gasping for some water and discover that I can't work them image 

• Options

Loads of good info there, Xine. Was the day useful?

Karen. Yes, I'm doing Folksworth. I'm 414 - I'll be near the back! Had various advice, but I'll be going with 5 miles easy, then the rest at MP, but ease up if it's too tough at the end. It'll be a PB regardless! Any spare cheers will be most welcome image

Fingers crossed, Toby.

• Options
    Helen Liz - it was really useful! Aside from the race day tips there was a lot of helpful stuff about nutrition and training that I'll be tweaking my own plan to implement. Also got the chance to have my gait checked out in both pairs of trainers I regularly run in and they both got the thumbs up, but tried on a pair of the minimalist style Sauconys just to see what they are like - pretty nice, so might consider those next time I'm looking for a pair for long distances. image
  • Options
    Toby - glimmer of hope for you. Last year every time I ran my knee gradually hurt more and more until I could walk only (this is the reason I say I missed my time last year ruined my long runs). One 30minute session at the physio later stretching the muscle down the inside of the knee and 2 weeks later I finished the Brighton 2011 course without limp.
    I was of course limping at the finish but not because of my knee.
  • Options

Helen: that sounds like a good plan trying the first 5 miles easy before stepping up to marathon pace.

xine: that is great news the pouches will already be opened before being handed out, that way I will be able to drink what I need, maybe splash some on my head if it is hot then throw the thing away with hopefully little time wasted.

• Options

SR: well done with the PB. 1m 02s to go. You should be faster off the back of marathon training, find a 10k in June and you'll be well away!

AGF: another big mile week image

Helen: nice running. You've run a marathon before have you not, or am I getting confused. To be at 18 miles, means you should have no probs in completing 26.

Huffapuff: Nice long run there. Go easy on the intervals if you haven't fully recovered from this week long run.

Danny: too early, too cold! image

Stephen: good luck with next weeks race!

Spen, Fay, Stig, Dan: hello!

Xine: water pouches. Oh god not again. They're horrible.

Toby: sorry to hear of the injury. Take it easy, and hopefully it'll be good news form the doc. £1 for a pouch of water....?

Karen: A big mile week as well. Well done!

Yvonne: were they open last year? I couldn't drink from them when I tried. Opted for bottles from then on.

I was out for 8 miles on Saturday, recorded on my new garmin image - I like it already. I was planning on a slow 10 miles on Sunday, but woke up during the night vomiting and spent Sunday in bed. Still not feeling 100% but hoping to head out for a few miles tomorrow.

• Options

TimO: thanks, I reckon on a flatter course with no wind and some more structured training that sub 40 10k will be mine, I have a few races in the pipe line for it to, so just got to get on and do it now.

Glad your liking the Garmin and sorry to hear about yesterday.

• Options

Tim0 they had water bottles last year nice tiny baby ones...the garmin is addictive eh i love the info you get from it on the pc..

so when you grab the pouches and they are already open wont the water just get squeezed out or does it just work on the principal of an inflatable rubber ring, water or air, in the case of an inflatable, only comes out when squeezed and sucked /blown into you know what i mean i hope image only asking cos ive never come across pouches is there a kids drink on the market they are similar too?

• Options
    Thinking about it more, the pouches have a little flat flap type straw which folds over the top. But I seem to think I had to rip something off to get the water out. I squeezed the pouch and sucked at the same, and the water came out all at once. I choked. Not recommended.

Most people seemed to get on fine though.
  • Options
    That's right, the pouches have a little tab at the top - but they made a point of saying that they'd all be opened already so other people must have had the same issues.
    They showed us a video about them (yes really!) and from that it looked as though they open along a perforated edge and you have to squeeze the pouch to get the water out (sort of like the sports cap on a water bottle) rather than it opening a hole like in a coke can.

I'll let you know once I practice with mine, if I end up half-drowned or manage to get a drink from it! image