Options

Thames Path 100

Comments

• Options
    Every mile gained is one mile closer to the finish and 1 mile further from the start. The difference is therefore 2 miles. Over 100 miles, that adds up to 200 miles. Hmm
  • Options
    mr fmr f ✭✭✭

The rucksack im running with is an Inov8 Race Pro 12. Ultra lightweight pack which has the really handy bladder built into the waist band. This holds 2l of flluid and even when full doesnt bounce about on your back as its securely fastens around your waist. I shant have too much in it, but plenty of pockets for food, nibbles, mobile, blanket, Montane running jacket etc.

hillheader, interesting concept! 

• Options
    Nick LNick L ✭✭✭

Strategy? Oh dear....

I want to get to 100km <10:30 for sparta qualification.

I have no idea what my normal long ultra averages out at as I just keep going until I finish. 

I therefore have to take things steady I guess...but re-assess if I am on/off schedule.

Ribs are still a bit sore, but I got a HM pb at the weekend....which lifts one's spirits

• Options
    Nick LNick L ✭✭✭
    incidentally - when I last ran along hte thames - Reading to Cricklade - conditions were largely predictable, but in some places there were massive standing water puddles in fields etc which were tricky to negotiate....but these MAY have been after oxford
  • Options

havent been on for a few days, so came on to ask some questions, but they seem to have been answered.

Luckily my head torch comes with its on pouch, my phone will be in a arm band type thing, then hopefully the rest will be in my waist bag as im not having a rucksack. does anyone know if the nbackup light has to be carried at all times, if not ill put it in the 51 mile bag.

the only real bag issue i have is what to use for the 51 mile bag drop.. i hear everyones ideas of storing clothing, im just not sure if im too keen on stopping long enough to change, ill have me dayt clothes which is a compression base layer top and shorts, then my normal shorts and top. for night all i have extra is a warm hat, gloves and a running jacket.

• Options
    mr fmr f ✭✭✭

Lee, from the official race website.......... 

Runners must carry the following mandatory equipment at all times:

• Mobile Phone
    • Headtorch
    • Back Up Light Source & Water Bottle/Bladder
    • Survival Blanket

Im not packing any shorts, its leggings and tights all the way for me but with Under Armour compression shorts underneath the Ron Hills

• Options
    thanks mr f, ill eave my coat in the 51 mile bag then, make sure i have all the kit with me, any uggestions for a bag to use on the 51 mile drop?
  • Options
    It does seem strange that we have to carry the torches and back up all the way. What about after it gets light on the Sunday morning (for those of us slower than 20 hrs) - can we drop them into a drop bag at that point?
  • Options
    mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    it does seem strange. Im taking a Petzl head torch and also a small but powerful Cateye bike light. Ideally these will be lost in the morning going into my 71m drop bag.
  • Options
    i have a led lensor h7 headtorch which comes in a pouch so i may try incorporate it into the waistband of my waist pack, my back up torch is a powerful handhel torch, so will slip it in somewhere, but as soon as nights over i will look to offload as much as possible
  • Options
    once it is light in the morning you can leave your lights in drop bags.
  • Options

Can anyone tell me what to expect under foot on the first half?

I've run the second half and know what shoe i'll be wearing for that but not knowing the first half at all i can't decide on what to wear.

• Options
    What's the second half like, route wise? Easy to navigate??
  • Options

The first half is pretty mixed underfoot. Most of it is decent hardpack trail, some tarmac, but not too much, some grass and a some mud just before Windsor and again just after Marlow.

The second half is mostly easy to follow, but beware the sections where you leave the river, I missed a turn near Cholsey as the sign was hidden behind a hedge, hopefully with the extra signs on the day things should be obvious. There are a couple of steep hills after Whitchurch, again its mostly good underfoot, a bit more grassy than the first half, some mud to watch out for just after Abingdon.

• Options

The first 10 of the Thames Trot so the the last 10 of what we will do was horrendous. It was rutted, very uneven and i suspect when not frozen solid very muddy.

Dougie. I take it if there is grass and mud roadies are a no no. I only wear a hybrid shoe anyway never a full on trail shoe so I will probably alternate between two different types.

I wore snug fitting road shoes on my last big trail race which worked well except my feet were so swollen that the swelling created creases in the bottom of my feet which turned into 2inch round blisters. Ouch!

Lesson learned! Make sure I have plenty of room in my shoe during the last 40 mile.

Asics Gel Fugi ES for the first half then and Brooks Trail blades for the back half.

What's everyone else wearing?

• Options

I think you could get by on road shoes for the first half, the muddy setions aren't very long, but I'll be in Saucony Jazz Trail which are more of a hybrid shoe. The section by Marlow was frozen when I recced so I don't know how bad it will be when thawed.

• Options

Hmm can't risk road shoes if there is any mud. Especially next to the river, probably end up in it!

I think hybrids are a good call. Being that i'm not the lightest runner I need that little bit of support and cushioning.

• Options
    I ran the last 29 miles a few days ago wearing road shoes and had less trouble with the mud than my two friends who were wearing trail shoes.
    The best shoes to wear are those that don't pick up all the mud.
  • Options

My wave inspires don't behave like that. As soon as I hit mud in those they tend to just slide across it.

It's whatever suits you really and knowing how your shoes deal with different conditions.

How was the last 10/15? I bet that was muddy and hard going.

• Options

Unless we have a very dry spell in the next ten days, I expect it to be fairly sticky underfoot. 

I am leaning towards my Brooks Cascadias at this stage. 

Of course, a major criteria when I pick my road shoes is their performance on mud. 

• Options

I imagine that a major factor for how road shoes perform on mud is the angle at which your foot hits the ground, where on the sole you land and how your foot then rolls

Personally I will be wearing Asics Gel Trail Sensor 5's for the whole race. They are a well cushioned hybrid shoe

• Options
    I'm hearing everyone's comments, and for me personally I will be choosing a trainer and sticking with it, I really can't see myselfe stopping to change shoes. Any complete stopping I do will be to take on fuel, not to wage time changing kit. I may eat my words, but at the mo thats my plan.
    Just ordered up a lightweight running backpack for 51 mile mark for warm clothes and rations.
  • Options

Totally the same deal for me too Lee.......................I plummped for my Asics road shoes!! theres no going back just 20 odd miles of pretending to be an aeroplane again image

• Options
    mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    It's asics road shoes for me from the start but then changing to trail from 51m
  • Options

Asics road shoes for me all the way unless it gets very muddy. I did 95 miles of very rough running last year in road shoes with 26 hours of rain. I like the extra cushioning. I had 3 pairs and changed when I needed to treat blisters.

Shoe choice is very personal (as are socks,rucsacs etc.).

You can always put a change of shoes in the drop bags and change if you feel the need. If I get wet feet and it is not pouring with rain I will also change socks and shoes. One small pleasure is dry feet!

Good news - my 2 big toenails have now fully grown back from last year. Just in time ............

Remember the sandals (or large shoes) for the finish.

• Options
    Have been following this thread with interest.

Will run the first hour and then 25/5 for at least the first 50 miles . Will drop down to 4 miles per hour for the second half . Will carry all nutrition and compulsory equip for the first half at least (Had to at the Brecons Ultra anyway) and then will get my support to supply me food etc on the last 50 . Although they won't be running .
  • Options
    My original pacing strategy was 6:00min/km till Henley and then 6:40min/km on to Oxford. Now with the knee and missed training I'm just going to run off feel and see how I go.

Carrying only the compulsory kit + waterproof, 1.5l of fluid and enough food to see me through the next two checkpoints. My mum (and assorted volunteers) will crew throughout and keep everything topped up. I plan to meet them at all aid stations but to carry enough to get me though 2 checkpoints in case for some reason they fail to meet me. I'll also have a pacer for the 2nd 50.
  • Options
    mr fmr f ✭✭✭

for a split second there i miss read your srategy Ewan and thought you were going off at 6min/miles!!!!!image

• Options
    Asiscs road shoes for me all the way. Will have a pair of trail shoes with my support crew for the last 10 or so if it gets bad.