Options

Thames Path 100

Comments

• Options

I've been marking my map up too, CP locations, distance, what we get there, eg Drop bag, ht food, and any direction notes that apply.

I'm hoping with 600 glow sticks, and loads of tape marking the route, I will only have to look at the map as a 'comforter' - but if some wee scroat moves a marker image, at least the map is there to check image.

Decided to wear the garmin even though the battery will only do for probably about 7hrs - it will stop me going off too fast at the start.

Need to get a few extra things today from the supermarket then I can start laying out the drop bags and deciding what to have where. Chocolate milk YUM YUM image.

Vicky - the way I read the notes it does sound like the Oxford bag goes straight there, it is the bags from the other CP's we will have to wait for if we want them back.

• Options
    Yes Veggie, it was the satellite view I was using on google, excellent! It brought it home just how far it is though!!image
  • Options
    Nick LNick L ✭✭✭

Hillheader - i can recommend 'The Ghost RUnner' - About JOhn Tarrant. Brilliant.

Was in london the weekend just gone...at Nat History Museum and the Scott exhibition. Fascinating. Drove home this morning.....drove, you know in a car? Took just over an hour to get to Oxford.

I have photocopied the map sections from the Thames Path book in the end - and cu them out and put them onto laminate sheet. 4 pieces of A4 paper.

I am hoping that the weather will also dry out any wet sections....it looked on COuntryfile as though it COULD get interesting towards the end of the week - there was a massive low in the Atlantic on thu/fri chart. That is a good few days away though, and things are always sketchy that far in advance.

....all i need to do now is figure out how I am going to get home from Oxford to Cheltenham

• Options

I definitely need a book unrelated to running.

I read a magazine article about the ghost runner though (might have been RW?) - fascinating stuff.

5 day (BBC) forecast will go as far as Saturday tomorrow. Any massive low will normally hammer Scotland rather than SE England. We've got some water to spare if you want any - buyer collects. Mind you we have a forecast of 17 degrees for Aberdeen tomorrow.

• Options
    Nick LNick L ✭✭✭

HH - There were a few reviews knocking about regarding the book - all generally positive. I found it a great read, and not solely about running which added some depth.

Agree about the Low/Scotland thing, however what will be will be - weekend just gone would have been fabulous though. As I was driving to London on Sat, I was thinking 'this is lovely'....sun/still not too hot. What will be wil be. 

• Options
    I ran a local 15m off-road race on Saturday notorious for its mud ... it was dry as a bone ... every mile I ran I wished I was on the TP100. Its peeing it down here at present - typical !
  • Options
    mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    It's as wet as an otters pocket here in the midlands!
  • Options

I'm just about ready.

Gels, Apricots, Nuun, Noodles, Ham sandwiches, flat coke and red bull will be on the menu just not all at once.

Clothes choose, Travel sorted, Camper cleaned, Crew briefed, Torches, map and music.

The only thing I can't decide on is my pack. I've a Nathan pack with bladder which is super light, comfy and holds everything I need. The only downside is drinking from a bladder with which I find I never take on enough fluid because it's so hard to gauge what you have taken in.

Or my raidlight backpack which also is very comfy, holds two bottles and extra room for more kit during the night but it is heavier than the Nathan.

Waist pack during the day and backpack during the night would be preferable but can't get a survival blanket and torch in the waist pack.

Ho hum decisions decisions...

• Options

Had a thought running into work this morning regarding run/walking?

Now my first and only real goal is to finish, that is the icing on the cake!!

However was playing with calculations and possible scenarios for instance, how many miles do I expect to run as opposed to walking. Would it be possible to look at a 80:20 split, effectively this would mean running for 20 mins followed by 5 mins of walking.

In reality I'm probably/realistically looking at a 60:40 race providing my body doesn't play tricks on me.

One thing I know I'm going to do is keep it as short as possible at the check points and look to walk and eat/drink for the mile leading out of all the CP's. This strategy has worked really well in previous ultras. 

I do have (apart from 29hrs 59mins of course) a time goal but this is purely hypothetical and more a guage/guide to aim at 24 hrs. This is born out of previous times, but seeing as the furthest I've ever ran is 52 miles in 9hrs it's just a guess.

Ultimatly I just want to finish and to be smiling/grimacing at the end and will take that any way it comes!!

Goodluck all      

• Options

Dill, I'm opting for my Raidlight back pack with 2 bottles at the front. I used it on the Northampton to Tring recently for the whole 46 miles and it was really good. As you say, you can fit quite a bit in it if you need to, and the bottles are easier to refill at CPs too. I sometimes only use one bottle and roll my map up in the other bottle holder. Prob good idea to swap it round sometimes because  of weight distribution!

Im also unsure about daytime, as I don't know where to put my map if I run with waistpack - and like you say you cant prob get all the things you have to in it. I might just use my RL for the whole thing untill the next morning, when we no longer nedd head torches and I could maybe manage with waistpack.

• Options

Louis - 24 hrs sounds quite achievable. Good to have a stretch target for when it all clicks. 

Was 14 degrees here in Aberdeenshire at 7 am today. I might well be starting in shorts and T on Saturday at this rate - switch to Lycra later in day as gets colder.  

Going with fluoro yellow club top. Club is "Cosmic Hillbashers". Admitting to running a flattish race is nearly as bad as running marathons in eyes of the diehearts. Anyway very comfortable top and might help me be seen crossing all those roads. I'll be wearing a cap (probably yellow) - always good - keeps sweat/rain/sun out of eyes. Thinking of fluoro yellow tights for the night time. Easier to see me when I fall in the river. Spotting your runner in the nighttime approaching a CP might be hard - bobbing headlights all look the same.

• Options
    Louis, I'm totally with u. The icing is to finish and get the medal, but I do like
    Cherries and therefore would love a 24 hour finish, like u the furthest is 53 miles which I done in 8:03:06. I have opted against changing socks and trainers (unless of real emergency) and I plan to walk through the check points to eat and drink. As long as I keep moving no matter how slow I think a sub 24 is achievable.

I have a waistband with 2 bottles and a decent size pocket for the kit essentials. I wore nothing for my 53 mile race and just utilised the check points so will do the same. Come 51 mile mark I have a ultralight backpack (not water bladder) this will have my warm clothes and some food also. Just got to decide on any other bag drops.

Does anyone use any tape or similar on their feet to prevent blisters.
  • Options

Wow Hillheader that is going to be seriously bright kit image!

I will be using a small hydration rucksack but with the bladder removed and using a water bottle instead. Without the bladder it will comfortably hold all the compulsory kit, plus my jacket, gloves and woolly hat, and a few snacks etc with room to spare in case it is hot and I decide to lose a layer or two.

Will be wearing boring nondescript kit imageimage but am usually easy to spot in my blue and yellow Inov8 cap and red rucksack! Say hello when you pass me and if I'm not totally knackered I might say hello back image!!

• Options
    I will not be in any fancy clothing. I have compression base top and 3/4 shorts then on top normal running shorts and a orange running top (brought by the wife so best wear it). Trainers are black and bright green.
  • Options
    Will be in my Fetch top it's my current first choice running club . . . Very day glow colours red yellow and a touch of white
  • Options

tigerspaw, are you going to put yr water bottle in the big section of yr backpack then?

• Options
    PP - yes probably for the most part, but I can also attach it to the waist belt or carry it when there is not much in it - its a ron hill bottle that comes in its own carrying pouch with a strap.
  • Options

Forecast looking good. I think I can put away my snow spikes at least.

I'll have my trusty Last Drop sac with a juice bottle I can reach in the side pocket without taking off sac. Single bottle should suffice for maximum of 12 mile stages.

Going to ditch wearing headphones. I often train with headphones but never raced with them but was tempted. I'll find someone to give incoherent drivel to instead.

Will pick up warm gear only when it gets colder / slower.

• Options
    I am wearing my raidlight 5l pack which will hold all the kit I need and one 800ml bottle. I will have a drop bag at the 50ish mile point but that will be it - I always leave DB then never use them! (will probably need them this time image)

Looking forward to meeting everyone, nerves always start kicking in now, but looking forward to the race.
  • Options

PP I think I will use my Raidlight backpack too. It is very comfy and i really want to have two 500 ml bottles to control my fluid intake. I will also carry a map but I'm sure we won't need it, last years NDW was so well marked I didn't need it.

Done a little 3.5 miler tonight to keep the cobwebs blown out. 1 more run on Thursday and thats it.

Mimi do you really still get nervous, after all you have achieved surely this is just a fun run!

• Options
    I get very nervous before each race - even now!
  • Options

Hey just caught up on the last two pages of posts and i have to say, you guys are kinda freaking me!!! I also signed up for this as it clearly stated that it gave the best chance of completing it as A) it was flat, and B) NO map WAS required. I am atrocious at finding my way so this race stood out to me. Hearing you guys now saying how confusing parts of the route are is really making me worry. I won't have maps etc with me as quite frankly they would only confuse me and get me more in a tizz. I do hope this course isn't too hard to follow on the day especially as on my lonesome. Sleepless nights await!!!

Living room completely sprawled with clothing, food etc. Looks like i'm going on some major expedition. I think i have everything pretty much sorted. It's now in the lap of the gods i guess. Anyway good luck to you all and i look forward to chatting with you all on the day(s)!!

• Options

Don't get too freaked out Vicky. 

The course will be very well marked on the day, and for most of the route you will fall in the river if you take a wrong turn.  If you cannot see the river, and haven't seen a marker for a while, then it might be worth retracing your steps. 

Also, it won't be long before you pass or get passed by another runner at most stages. 

• Options

Try not to stress yourself out about it Vicky. 

If you take a wrong turn, it is usually of limited long term consequence.   

For the record, I am not nervous about the race because I have a job interview tomorrow. 

After the interview, I can transfer my nervousness seamlessly towards the race!

• Options
    ... and I am not nervous since my daughter was throwing up all day yesterday with a stomach bug, so the prospects of me actually getting to the start line look a little bleak at present.
  • Options

My bedroom also resembles some kind of expedition camp! I've packed most of my kit for travelling but still need to pack the drop bags. I've had to lay everything out and lock it in the bedroom as the cat has been doing my nut in - he is loving my packing and has created a set of fantastic new games called 'chew the drop bag', 'climb inside the drop bag', and 'rip and tear the drop bag apart'!!!!!!! imageimage 

(If I get to Henley and instead of a pot of rice pudding there is a gallumphing great black and white cat in my drop bag I will know I have done something wrong!!!!!) imageimage.

Vicky - I'm sure it will be fine too. I'm just a map geek - any excuse to buy a new one, or use one and I will imageimage. Also its kind of a mental comfort I guess once the garmin packs in, I can look at it and tell myself okay its only 6miles to the next aid station, not far to go now, that kind of thing.

Travelling down on Friday, oh the joys of the M6 image....will be an early start to try to miss the worst of it through Manchester and B-Ham <thank dog for the M6 toll road>, then train from Didcot on Saturday morning.

I see from TP website some crazy people are doing the double of Richmond parkrun then TP100 image. An early morning 'wakener' for the legs I guess? imageimage Good luck to them, think I will warm up 'on the way' as it were! image

Well good luck everybody and hopefully see some of you down there image.

• Options

I like the cat story - I'll look out for it!

Haven't started packing yet.

Parkrun is crazy idea. Definitely no warm up of any type for me.

• Options

ParkRun is ridiculous bravado in my book

Due to family committments I am limited to 5 events a year. I try and optimise my performance at them as best I can. Doing parkrun would compromise that, especially as you can guarantee that everyone will run way too fast 

• Options
    I won't be carrying a map as i am pretty confident i know the way,
    well most of it. The Thames path is well signed posted even without the organizers extras. If i see anyone going off course i'll put them right. image
    Someone should give classes in How to pack for an Endurance Event.
    The logistics of it all can be more of a task than the run itself.
    I have been pretending to myself that i am off to Glastonbury.