Options

Thames Path 100

Comments

• Options

They should do Park Run after. There's probably a race in Oxfordshire somewhere for those interested on Sunday afternoon. My preference is a bed!

I get my best performances from 'B' races - minimum hype, minimal taper. 'A' races with associated nervousness and a proper taper I do much worse. I need to persuade my head that on Saturday this is a 'B' race.

• Options
    I've consigned this race as a total noddy one race z if you like trying to do it pressure free again that is the plan . . I think if I actually allow myself too much time to think about it all one hundred miles I might just have a squeaky bum moment and I don't want one off those !!
  • Options
    This is not my A race 100 miler this year, so I am actually pretty relaxed 
  • Options
    Nick LNick L ✭✭✭

Oh dear H1ppo - hope you dont get the lurgy!

Im still in two minds as to what to take with me - there seems to be plenty of opportunity to stock up with food at the CPs, so can grab and go, therefore only need to carry the mandatory stuff, and essentials.....which will vary depending upon weather forecast.

I looked at my splits from GUCR in 2009 last night. My strategy for that had me averaging 5.5mph or so for the first 10 hours, whihc isnt quite enough to get me to 100k in 10:30 (sparta qualif)....(plus I was much fitter then) so I would appear to have to 'leggit' a bit more than I would perhaps prefer.....and then hope for the best.

• Options
    Nick LNick L ✭✭✭

Oh yes and Waccyracer I remember you from JW!

• Options

i'm still here. Not succumbed just yet ... & good luck with that Nick, at the pace required I won't be keeping you company!

• Options
    Nick LNick L ✭✭✭
    That may be the case, but I fear it might not make for a pleasant 2nd stage of the race H1ppo!....promise not to push me in when you pass me eh?
  • Options
    in the unlikely event that happens Nick I will ply you with creme eggs as a restorative ...there will be plenty in my drop bags!
  • Options

Good luck to everyone doing this race this weekend - i was entered but had to withdraw due to other commitments image

Mimi, I have the Raidlight 5L pack too which I love, especially regarding ease of access for fluids. The only issue I have is accessing food on the go. I manage to get some gels in front of the bottles but for anything else I have to stop and take the bag off. This would be OK if I actually remembered to do so! Will you be using the same set up for the Viking Way? I wondering whether to use a small bumbag too for easy access and therefore better nutrition.

• Options
    Nick LNick L ✭✭✭
    H1ppo wrote (see)
    in the unlikely event that happens Nick I will ply you with creme eggs as a restorative ...there will be plenty in my drop bags!
    I shall look forward to it!
  • Options

Vicky don't worry half the people running this weekend will be too incoherent to read a map. Me being one of them!!

One of the reasons centurion created these races was because there was a gap in the market for marked 100 milers. Like Ben has said if your away from the river for any amount of time or you don't see any markings you are lost. 

Felt quite nervous today. A kind of excited nervousness. Can't concentrate at work at all as all I'm thinking about is the race. My boss knows what I'm doing but is very unsympathetic. I think if I was preparing for a three day piss up he could relate to that but an endurance event that hardly anyone knows about and will inflict pain and suffering he can't get his head round.

Got kit laid out tonight so I can run tomorrow night and then relax.

Surely no one is actually running in the parkrun. My warm up will be a cup of tea followed by the first 60 miles of the TP.image

• Options
    mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Evenin folks. A shockingly busy 16hr day at work today with little food or drink, not ideal prep. However, no more work now so tomorrow il be boarding the carbo train
  • Options

Time to enter the pasta universe Mr F!

• Options
    mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Indeedy Ben! Pasta and jacket potatoes tomorrow for me and hopefully a bit of rest.
  • Options
    Dill- I know that feeling very well. My daughter just say's " Excited "
    with a big grin. image
  • Options
    purplepigpurplepig ✭✭✭

I'm squirting First Defence up my nose 4 times a day and popping echinacea as my OH is now full of a stinking cold!! i work with 2 little boys in a school, one of which prefers to sneeze in my face than a tissueimage. Two  of my colleagues now have the sickness bug...and Ive never been so paranoid in my life! lol

I also have that nervous/excited feeling that some od you mentioned. Tonight I'm off for one final massage to loosen everything up and a final bit of work on my hip.

Only 2 more days to fight off all those nasty lurgies guys...

Do you think with an event like this it's important to carb load? I don't tend to too much on an event that I'll be refuelling as I go long..what about everyone else? I do for marathons, but not so much longer events. i guess we want enough in the tank for the first part though..but maybe a decent breakfast will do the trick?

• Options
    mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Pp, put yourself in quarantine!!
  • Options

Purplepig

Just carb load like there was no tomorrow. 

The easiest way to carry carbohydrates is simply to eat them before the event.  It gives you a big edge when the going gets tough, and means that you are just using the aid stations to top up. 

Also, try to work magnesium into your diet (e.g. broccoli, Brazil nuts), and Vitamin B (tuna, liver, red meat, unprocessed carbs).  This helps your body to store the carbs and access them on demand. 

• Options

Good luck all this weekend...hard work now done and so just go out and enjoy yourselvesimage 

Me and the missus are sweeping the first 50 miles of the course this weekend and so I am really hoping that we do not see many of you as we bring up the rear...and please spare a thought,  along with the course markings we have to pick up all the litter that you drop and so the less litterbugs out there the better image

• Options

Well done Giggster on helping out. That's a big run in its own right. Hope not to see you though!

On that theme; A big thank you in advance to all the volunteers. We are often not polite enough to them at checkpoints - especially with drop bags to retrieve. Its a huge effort to marshall and support such a long event and we depend on you.

• Options
    I started carbo loading last night - the more I can store now (without overeating !) the easier I will find it . You may find through out the race that at some point you just wont be able to stomach anything , so those stores should help . I really struggled with nutrition in the second half of the whwrace , so get a variety of food supplies so something will appeal to you image
  • Options

Carbo loading is a tricky one. Like you XXX I really struggled with the WHW last year and nearly threw up after only 25 miles. I didn't get back to eating very much till after 60 miles. I think one mistake I made was to eat too much beforehand. With the WHW starting at 1am, it was easy to snack out all the day before to try to carbo load. With TP starting after some sleep, I think it will hopefully be easier?? My plan is therefore not to go overboard today but a large pasta meal tomorrow lunchtime and night.

• Options
    Would anyone like to guess what the weather is going to do on Sat/Sun? Currently the BBC weather says that it's going to turn chilly and could be a bit wet later on in the race. I hope the wind is behind us whatever happens! It's probably too early to believe any forecasts though...
  • Options
    Well the nerves have really kicked in today, struggling to concentrate at work. Its like my first marathon all over again. Kits packed, shopping tonight, lifts and support crew sorted. Tommorrows going to be difficult !
  • Options
    Hillander ,

definitely agree on the 1am start , and eating all the say before . I'll have a different strategy this year I think ! It's lovely and sunny here in Notts today - hope it does not turn before the end of the weekend....
  • Options
    Also everyone remember to drink plety of water and electrolytes on Friday
  • Options
    Good luck everyone, this might be one for me next year, but just a piddly marathon for me this weekend otherwise I'd be on course to cheer you all on. This is a great challenge, and I ma so impressed with anyone who makes it to start line in any state of preparedness, no matter what happens on the day.
    Be strong. I can't wait to hear your reports.
    Go get 'em.
  • Options
    I was just looking at the instructions again . I wont be using drop bags , but will need my overnight bag transporting to Oxford . I assume as long as I write Oxford on there it will go straight to the finish ?
  • Options
    mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Lex, yes I already broached this question with James via email. They are happy to convey overnight bags to Oxford as long as they are marked up accordingly
  • Options
    Thanks , I'll just mark it up as finish /Oxford .