Options

Cheltenham Half Marathon

Kar4Kar4 ✭✭
Has anyone does this before?

Comments

• Options
    No as it is a new event!
  • Options
    It's new, and it looks ridiculous. It's also expensive. Running both ways along the A435 is, perhaps, the dumbest route this event could have taken. The A435 is a high-speed road with long stretches without pavements.

At £24/£26 it's a waste.
  • Options
    Will have a word with the organisers before I decide to run. Fits in nicely for me as I have a Marathon the following week.
  • Options

Couldn't agree more with Intermanaut. I live in Cheltenham, and I wouldn't touch this with a bargepole.

This is an out and back route along, as stated, the fast, very busy A435. To be fair, I drive this route regularly and there is pavement along most of it, but not all.

The event website states 'flat, quiet country roads'. This is emphatically not the case. Apart from being a busy main route it's quite undulating!

And £26. £26!!!

• Options
    I ran along the 435 a few times last year on my Cheltenham/Tewkesbury/Cheltenham LSRs.

It would have been far nicer if they'd decided to send people towards Stoke Orchard/Elmstone Hardwicke. OK, it's still on the road, but the route is quiet and could have easily been made in to a reasonably pleasant country/town route.

Then again, any route that actually includes part of Cheltenham would be good! Once you're beyond GE/Smiths you're in Tewkesbury!
  • Options
    Kar4Kar4 ✭✭
    Thanks for the comments.  I think I'll be looking for another half marathonimage
  • Options

i live in cheltenham and i agree with inter and chris, not quite sure why they run it along the 435??? i know its help for heros hence the almighty price tag but i'd much rather set up a lsr with a load of mates then the crazy course they have set out!!!

is everyone on here from chelt?

• Options
    This has been getting some attention in the local press, but it's your usual fawning "Oooh that's brilliant" sort of crappy journalism.

The route will involve a single lane closure on the A435, with traffic diverted around the route. However, I'd like to know what they're going to do about the roundabouts and junctions that are along the route, particularly those in to Bishop's Cleeve and towards Stoke Orchard, where the diversion could be as long as 15 miles.
  • Options
    I also live in Cheltenham and drive this route alot. Tedious describes it well. Having entered several local events organised by the Wilsons, I am yet to come away feeling satisfied I received anything like value for money. Give this one a miss you wont regret it!
  • Options

The route was chosen after consultation with the police and highways,

The roads will be closed with agreement of local authorities,, traffic diversions are to be set up

with agreement of the highways department by an experienced traffic management company

who are very experienced with handling road races  thoughout the UK.

Anne Wilson Organizer

• Options
    Nick LNick L ✭✭✭

I believe there is to be a rolling road closure in place rather than complete closure of roads? (this is what the website says) which i imagine is different to a road closure?

THe description of quiet country roads is in my opinion misleading.

The price is incredibly high. THe recent Bourton half was £9 in advance for affiliated runners.

chris jones 78 wrote (see)

Couldn't agree more with Intermanaut. I live in Cheltenham, and I wouldn't touch this with a bargepole.

This is an out and back route along, as stated, the fast, very busy A435. To be fair, I drive this route regularly and there is pavement along most of it, but not all.

The event website states 'flat, quiet country roads'. This is emphatically not the case. Apart from being a busy main route it's quite undulating!

And £26. £26!!!

The pavement runs out just by the BP garage at Gotherington Cross - as i regularly run up there and then onto the (genuinely quiet) lanes towards Stoke ORchard and tredington.
  • Options

Typical, I’ve just signed up for this event. It was to be my first official half marathon!

Never mind…I'm sure I'll be too tired to notice my surroundings anyway.

• Options
    I'm doing this now, the bf's sisters partner has entered so it's going to turn into a bit of a family event. although it's flippin expensive I'm looking forward to being able to walk to a start line rather than the usual trek. I'm set for a 20 miler that weekend for Berlin training so I'll be unsociable after and carry on with the last 7m after a quick pit stop.
  • Options
    The route has changed. It only goes along the 435 for a short distance now, before turning on to Stoke Road, which isn't unpleasant to run along.

I'm not sure how they'll manage to close that road for the entire race, though, as there are many residential properties along it with no alternative access.

Read the latest news here: http://www.runcheltenham.org.uk/news.htm It makes no sense, especially the bit that refers to "14 and 22 miles points". It also refers to a dual carriageway, though there's no dual carriageway anywhere along the run's new route.
  • Options

YOU NEED TO READ IT     IF YOU CAN READ THAT IS.....

IT WAS NOT TO DO WITH CHELTENHAM BUT LONDON MARATHON IT REFERED TO.image...................

• Options
    @Willy 2 - firstly, your CAPS LOCK key is stuck Fix it. Secondly, the copy has changed since I posted earlier. That much is evident because the text I quoted about (which was selected, copied and pasted from that page, not re-typed) is no longer on there. In fact, London is not referenced at all on that page. Also, earlier there was reference to part of the run being held along a dual carriageway.

As the race organiser you should, perhaps, learn to take some criticism from potential entrants. Spouting off like you are is a bit like driving like a twat in a company vehicle with the company's name & contact details plastered on the site.

Your event design is flawed. I do, however, quietly hope that it's a success and that you get the opportunity to run it again next year on a better route. This year's event is a proving ground to show the local authorities that it's viable, isn't it?

I'll be running the route on that day. I can't help thinking I'll be the only person there, though.
  • Options
    FellSurferFellSurfer ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of doing this one now the route has been revised, the previous route looked somewhat suicidal image.

Would be interested to hear what you get for the entry fee (medal/t-shirt etc.) and I'm sure others would be interested in the prizes on offer for each category.

Note that the entry costs vary, thought I would summarise below in case anyone else is entering (affil/unafffil).

TDL Event Services: 25.75/27.75
    Active Network: 24/26 (make sure you opt out of the spam)
    RW: 27/29
    Postal: 24/26

• Options

According to the entry form the race will be chip timed but I did not receive a chip through the mail and there is no mention of registering and collecting chip on the day. Any ideas anyone?

• Options

A friend registered for me so I didn’t see the entry form however, if the race starts at 1405 and the latest report time for competitors is 1355 there would not appear to be much leeway for picking up & fitting the chips.

As there was/is no mention of chip timing on the info site I’ve always assumed that we’d have to rely on our own watch!

• Options

I have spoken to the organiser and  they will be open for last minute entries on Sunday at the start on the Race Course right up to 1.15pm.

Weather forecast looks pretty reasonable for Sunday afternoon, so see you there.

• Options
    I have spoken to one of the marshalls who has informed me that chip timing is not being used as the  number of runners is a lot less than was anticipated. I am going over to the racecourse this afternoon to check out public transport as I have to travel from Gloucester( Longlevens) by bus tomorrow. Unless anyone can offer me a lift?
  • Options
    The big day is here! My first half half marathon. Enjoy!
  • Options

My first half too and enjoyed it after all, although my time was a bit poor! Not too bad a course; no problems with the traffic really and the marshals were all friendly and supportive.]

I'd do it again.

Bring on Chippenham next Suday!

• Options
    Does anybody know where we can find the official results?
  • Options
    The official results will probably appear on the RunCheltenham web site - there's a page for them.
  • Options
    Did this one yesterday. Was pleased the route had changed to advertised along the A435. Personally did not have any problems with traffic, what traffic that was on the course was very courteous. Would not do it again unless entry fee was down to about £15 max. Certainly not value for money. No chip timing, no changing, no secure baggage drop off. As for the goody bag, 2 packs of tea bags, 2 chewing gum, 2 shampoo and conditioner and a number of flyers. I have been told that a lot of local clubs stayed away because of the people behind the event. Would be interested to know what percentage of any profit will be donated to charity. 
  • Options

Goody bags were just a little extra, helps to promote the sponsors.

Racecourse venues do not come cheap and neither do road closures, did you see how many cones there were?

A donation would have been made to the Sea Scouts that helped out on the course and believe it or not these days some marshalls/helpers expect payment for giving up their time.

I liked the course, it was a bit tougher than I expected, but overall a good event for the first one. I have always liked out and back or multi lap courses anyway.

I agree that the Marshalls and drink people were very good. Commentator on the finish line was good too.

Would recommend it as a first half.

Wonder what the fast boys and girls thought of it.

• Options
    The route was tougher than you expected? Really? It is not almost entirely flat, apart from the bridge over the railway?
  • Options

O.K. point taken, I am used to running Marathons and Ultras on a 400m track!

There were a few undulations though. It's all relative i suppose. Depends what you are used to training on.