Options

Manchester Marathon

Comments

• Options

Someone who started another thread on this event and couldn't find this one..... HTH image

Fanks Cake

• Options

I'm Steve, right need to keep thiss thread near the top of the board, so i dont have to start another so cake can post me another link back to this one as i have lost it.

I'm coming up from Tamworth, staying at the Premier Inn at Trafford how long would it take to walk from their to Longford Park, if i come up on train to picadilly as Cake says on the tuther thread its easy enough but how does one purchase tickets on this metro thingie put money in machine job is it

I guess Saturday maybe taken up with find the expo thingie

• Options
    Hi Steve, sorry can't help, I'll be driving in to Manchester on the day
  • Options

Steve not sue but thinking it must be at least a 10 minute walk. I pop down manc sometimes for the open water swimming in Salford quey's next time I'm near old traford I'll see if I can work it out unless a local pop's up with the answer.

Oh the metro is a machine job. Just follow the sign's at pic station and take it from there.

• Options

Cake

How are you.I willdo Manchester Marathon in my 3 Marathons in 1 Month hopefully get in to London?

• Options
    compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    speedy Brear

how are you aswell got Chester marathon in October
  • Options
    Compo1 How are you.Long Time No See.I back from Injury Free now.Dunn 6 10K'1 on and off during injury and now I more fitter with Guym and swimming more.Next Weekend:Heckington 10 and 2 weeks time Newark Half,West Pinchbeck,St Neots,Big Fun Run-Derby and 2 weeks time Sat my mad Challenge Sleaford to Newark  and  Sleafford to Skegness that will made 41marathons soon.
  • Options

Thanks cake. probably walk past te footy heap on right down Matt Busby way  to lights and cross over and go don to next t junction i thik and take a right go one more junction and take a left at the back of the cricket ground looking at it on the map i rekon its a mile and a half at most. looked at it on aa route planner and doing it by car it takes you a wierd route,

Thanks for all your help, especially with the metro, will probably do it by train as i doubt i will feel upto driving/ being in the car next day for three hours, especially when the train only takes an hour and a half. was wondering if there is a macdonalds round old trafford for some porridge the next morning (sunday) as i doubt i'll have time to digest a breakfast at 7am then get to the start

thanks again 

• Options
    compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    speedy

doing ok I do a lot of swimming aswell
  • Options

Steve afraid I don't know about the MacD's there must be something nearby through quite a lot of shops around there.

Speedy I'm good thanks matey. Still slow and mischievous and ready for some marafuns. image

• Options
    I think Manchester Marathon will be London.A 10years return and B worth the Awards.
  • Options

just trying to waken this thread up a bit by putting it at the top of the list

• Options
    Liverpool or Chester marathon in October which one ? Any opinions welcome.
  • Options

dat I would say Liverpool because off the bloke whose organising it has been trying for a for about 3 years now to get it off the ground and a regular poster on this site asking for views and keeping people informed. Basically I'm a bit biased, the price is high for the marathon through?

Chester is also a brilliant race and probably more lovely veiws. You could flip a coin? According to the word on the street will be different weekends next year so you can do both. image 

• Options

Hi Steve

Will ask my hubby in the morning - he has had a few whiskys - not making any sense whatsoever!!!  He works near the cricket ground.

There is a McDonalds on Regents Road - not sure where The Marathon starts though so cant tell u how long it would take to walk to the start.  

julie 26

• Options

Thanks Juliie, it starts at the park, longford park, glad to know i probably wont have far to get back for my after run soak Still thinking of coming up on the train mainly as i could be waking like a penguin for a few days after.

• Options

Hi Steve,

You need to get the tram to Stretford (Im presuming you are coming from Piccadilly Station).  You actually get off at 'Stretford' tram stop then walk down Edge Lane and Longford Park is on your left (approx 11-15 min walk).

Hubby said there used to be a McDonalds at Stretford Mall but not sure if its still there!  Anyway you would still get off at the 'Stretford' stop and head to Chester Road and cross over to Stretford Mall (approx 10-15 mins walk).  There are a few shops etc in the mall but not 100% sure if they are open on a Sunday).  The McDonalds on Regent Road would be too far to walk!

Are you travelling to Manchester on the Sunday and going home on the same day?

Hope this helps and good luck with all the training.

Julie26

• Options

Hi Julie i'm going to travel up on the friday and back on the monday, staying at the premier inn by old trafford guessing it would be a 25 minute walk fron thhere to the park, have looked the route up to see how far it is to wal, premier inn wasd the nearest really, just stuck to do for brekkie on sunday morning before race

• Options

Hi all - am new to this thread -

seriously thinking about doing Manchester - have applied for London, but as I got in on the ballot this year - not sure that I will get in (also spent a load in London - went down on Friday - did the sights wih hubby & little one).

Have done Stratford upon Avon in  April as well, but the hills kill me image- so very tempted by the promise of FLAT course imageDoes anyone know how flat they mean?? (these marathon organisers aren't always 100% truthful when it comes to talking about hills!!!)

Doing Chester this October - so may leave applying until after then (also would have found out about London). How are the places filling for Manchester???image

X

• Options
    This does look appealing , I do the Liverpool half in March so a trip down the 62 for this will give us the motivation to keep up the training.
    The last couple of years ive ran the Liverpool half and then let my training drop, so this will keep us motivated .
    how flat is the course and how many places are left ?
  • Options
    Steve no idea I'm afraid I don't think this one will fill up soon through.
  • Options

Somebody asked the same question on facebook a few weeks ago, they were non-committal, but they definitely said places were left, just my opinion (so don't hold me to it), but I'd have thought you'd be OK for few months yet.

is it flat? looks flattish to me, but then again, i live near Blackburn where hills are unavoidable image

• Options

Once people find out its being run then I would anticipate a big surge for this one, at the moment have not seen it advertised anywhere and fellow runners who I have spoken to didn’t know it was happening either.

I have entered but would have expected a massive amount of posts on here if it was filling up quickly.

• Options

I think a lot of people are waiting to see if they get into London and they'll probably be a lot of entries after Liverpool & Chester on the 9th October as well

Longford Park is in easy walking distance of stretford arndale so they'll be plenty of buses. By car M60 takes you to within a few miles of the start

I dont think it will sell out quickly. For people who don't know the area this isnt much of a manchester marathon. It heads passed old trafford in stretfor, then straight out to small towns of sale and altrincham. 

• Options
    compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    not for me may be I will try the Lancaster marthon in June
  • Options
    That's interesting, I didn't know there was a Lancaster marathon!!
  • Options
    compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    yes next year last sunday in June
  • Options
    compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    should have said 24th
  • Options
    Mmmmm will think about that one, a definite possibilty
  • Options

B Plodder-

Do you not fancy running the Windermere Marathon next year? I am doing the Brathay 10 in 10 and its not far from your neck of the woods. Although it is not a PB course its not massively challenging, its very well organised and a beautiful course running around the Lake. This one does fill up quick though as there is a 1,000 limit.