Options

Cardiff Half-Marathon

Comments

• Options

I ran in the Cardiff 10K at the weekend, in preparation for the Cardiff HM, so that I could get familiar with the surroundings.  Hopefully the organisation for the Half is a bit better than for the 10K as at 4.5K there was supposed to be drinks, but there wasn't any and there was no warning before the start.  Lets hope they don't make the same mistake for the HM.

I've chosen to run Cardiff as I've heard it's definitiely a PB course . . . hopefully the changes to the route haven't changed this.  I'm desperate to get under 1:30, then I can retire from HM's and concentrate on shorter races (after next years London Marathon).

• Options

Cheers for the info BG, they can't possibly screw up the distance two years running can they!

Good going TFIG,addictive isn't it image 5 weeks training and those 2 minutes shouldn't be too much of an ask. The website says that there will be a 2 hour pacer (and a 1:30 pacer for David) which might help? I didn't notice any pacers this year at Bristol. 

• Options
    I didn't see any pacers in Bristol either. Found them really useful in Cardiff last year. As it was my first half I was just looking to get round in about 2:20 - 2:30 but when I seen the 2:15 pacer at mile 8 it really spurred me on and ended up doing 2:09:37.Crazy how many people were crowding around the pacer though. Surely people can just keep pace 10 meters or so behind / in front rather than being 2 feet away.
  • Options

In the Cardiff 10K at the weekend there were serveral Moti pacers, so this may mean they'll also provide some for the HM.  I was following the 40min pacer for the first kilometer, but he certainly wasn't running an even pace as he shot off a bit quick, although I had him in my sights for most of the route when his pace settled down.

• Options
    looking forward to this one and do not think the new route will be too bad. With 15,000 runner could be a problem parking. Might have to take my bike or get the wife to drop me off and pick me up!!
  • Options

Think it was 15,000 last year - managed to park in Mermaid Quay car park fine about an hour before start. It was filling up quickily though. Should be ok as long as don't intend turning up last minute.

Did

• Options

Think it was 15,000 last year - managed to park in Mermaid Quay car park fine about an hour before start. It was filling up quickily though. Should be ok as long as don't intend turning up last minute.

Did a 11.3 mile run before work this morning! I think I could have easily done the extra 1.8 for half marathon distance and would have beaten my personal best - strange. My route was very flat though. Good confidence boost that I can definitely beat my pb in a months time if I just stay calm and think positive which I didn't do recently in the Bristol half.

• Options

I think I nabbed the last space in Mermaid Quay last year and it was really good to park there as afterwards you could just drive straight on to the link road and home.  However I am not sure how this years route will effect parking and which roads are going to be closed.  If it looks to difficult I might just get the train down the Bay.

Glad to hear the training is going well.  It is a real boost when you do a training run and still feel that you have enough in the tank to beat your PB. 

Hopefully going out for my first run since mid August tomorrow.  Fingers crossed my knee holds up. 

• Options

I have a logistical challenge of getting myself and my young family to the event. I've checked the trains and can't see anything untill after the race starts.

I hope I don't have to do the walk down to the bay. I got a tad stressed last year and started way too far down the field because of all the messing about.

For me it was better a couple of years ago when we started in the center and ran down to the Bay.

• Options

A good run this morning. 12.6 miles in 1:55. All on track, but getting under 2hrs on the day is still looking pretty tight. I'm sure I'll get pulled along by the atmosphere. Anyone know if there are any time checks along the route. In Bristol there was one at the halfway point. Is that the norm?

• Options
    ginger
    Just use a sports watch and the mile or km markers. At some events you can even pick up wrist bands that will give your your target time at each marker.
  • Options
    There is a sub 2 hour pacing group to follow if you want. I'll be following them with great interest!
  • Options
    Did a 10 mile run yesterday - think that'll be my last long run now until the day. Over the last 3 weeks I've done 3 runs over 10 miles which have all indicated I should beat my PB so feeling good about it.
  • Options
    As an observation on this year's route, it is the way it is because the route last year was in places barely wide enough for a Parkrun, in fact the bit blocked by the infamous scaffolding I would think twice before routing a club handicap race through.
  • Options
    Has anyone had their race pack yet?
  • Options
    My race pack arrived on Friday, so I would assume all the packs will be out shortly.
  • Options

Haven't had my race pack yet. Getting quite excited though image

• Options

My race pack arrived on Friday. 

Unfortunately I'm not looking forward to the race as much as I was a couple of weeks ago.  Whilst out on a 13 mile run recently I started to feel soreness on the oputside of my left knee.  It didn't feel too bad whilst running so I completed the run, but when I finished I was hobbling about a bit.  After resting and icing it for several days it felt fine when cycling and walking so i decided to test it out on an easy run . . . unfortunately it tightened up again.  I'm going to rest it for another week and then try running my taper sessions during the week before the race.  If I don't feel any soreness I'll race, but otherwise I won't be running . . . I'm very disappointed considering i've been gearing my training and races all year for this one to try and get a sub 1:30.

If I'm able to run do you think the previous 10 weeks of training will carry me through to try and get my PB (I was on target before the injury struck), or should I ease off a bit and adjust my target?

• Options
    Still waiting for my race pack, first time visiting Cardiff, really looking forward to it, hopefully the route is not going to be too tough!
  • Options
    Got my race pack yesterday. All excited now as this is my first race since 2006, can't wait.
  • Options

I'm all excited now too. Here's hoping my race pack is waiting for me when I get home.

• Options

Evening all

Still not got my pack yet image keep coming home from work all expectant and then nothing ...nevermind maybe tomorrow. 

Looking forward to the race, did GNR in Sept in 1:57:32 I'm looking for a sub 1:55 or under. Had a good training 13.3 miler on Sunday and managed it in 1:56:32 so hopefully on the day I can knock off the extra seconds. I will be looking out for th pacers thanks for the tips.

• Options
    Well done the organisers! Not! Multi storey carpark in the Bay, closed on the day.Pathetic.
  • Options
    This will be my first official half marathon.  Looking forward to it.  Either way pb is a definite.  Even if it is by default!
  • Options
    My race pack arrived yesterday. Looking forward to it. Struggling to fit runs in this week as work has been crazy and away this weekend. Hoping to fit in a run before work tomorrow, and will prob only do a couple more Sun/Mon and Wed before the day.
  • Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    Still not got my race pack...
  • Options

My first year not doing the Cardiff half for a few years now. Refused to cough up the 30 quid this time. Last years route was a bit of a shambles, had to run through a Costa Coffee table area to avoid shoppers I seem to remember. The route did need changing but the new one seems far from ideal. The finishes in the Millenium Stadium were the best I feel. Shame they don't run the marathon in Cardiff anymore.

Good luck to everyone who is racing this year, I'll be there to cheer on some friends.

• Options
    It said on their Facebook page that race packs are still being posted out so I would give it until the end of the week and then maybe start chasing.  I think in terms of congestion this years route will be a lot better but I do feel that access to the start finish will be severally hampered by the fact that the main access routes to the Bay will be closed from 8.30 and not open until 11.30.ish. Hopefully any problems will be ironed out and the Cardiff Half can improve next year and really become a must do race.
  • Options
    I was looking at the starting pen arrangements - three pens for various times sub 1:45, then one pen for everyone over 1:45. From last year's results, I see that around 80% of the race finished over 1:45.  I'm doing the Great Yorkshire Run (10K) tomorrow, taking it really easy with my son, so specified a finishing time of 1:00 - I'm in the second pen of 4. I was a bit flattered by that to be honest, but in Cardiff I'm in the 4th pen of 4 and hoping to get around 1:50. Does this seem slightly odd to anyone else?
  • Options

My memory from previous years is that the starting pen signs seem to be largely for decoration