Options

Greater Manchester Marathon

Comments

• Options
    Thanks John I just booked it online , really looking foward to running this.
  • Options
    John, In London at the moment but have done the Manc markets before. Lots of fun indeed... I think... ((from what I remember after the 10th Gluhwein))
  • Options
    Complete rip off, £4 for a foot long german sausage (oh matron) but we stil love it andl go every year and buy one.  Went for a 10 mile long run yesterday in the snow, attack of the gingerbread man after about mile 7.  Lesson learnt not to spend the night before eating chocolate, pasta and sausages throughout the day.  D'oh
  • Options
    Anyone managing to run over the holidays... or is it all quality street and couch surfing? image

I was proud of a 15 miler the day after I travelled 'home', it's not been great since then. I've been in the hills of Derbyshire and Cheshire so coming from Amsterdam (the flattest place on earth) I guess it's been good training. That said, distance and time have therefore gone to sh&t. Mince Pie and Chocolate consumption have been superb however, and I could challenge anyone to a shiraz and prosecco ingesting competition. I guess Jan should be about getting back into it and going dry. I'm away with work almost the whole month though so this could be tough ;-0

I hope everyone had a great Christmas, and here's hoping 2012 is full of bp's and good times xx
  • Options
    I've not done too bad over the holidays. I got runs of 8/13/10/12 and (hopefully today!) 16 miles in.
  • Options
    ShivaShiva ✭✭✭
    I have done very little over the holidays, a few 4 milers is all, training starts new years day... I will do most of my training as running commutes to work once I go back on the third. No rush just yet, but good work Gaz, makes me feel very lazy.
  • Options

Started my training plan today, one week late but never mind. I have been out for a plod a few times during the past few weeks & can feel the mince pies/chocolate/wine I'm carrying round with me in extra weight.

I've been talked into the 'Hansons less is more' plan by my marathon buddy. Has anyone tried this before? She struggled to fit in the really long runs for our Eddie mara' training last year, so the 16mile maximum runs really appeal to her.

Anyway, if it doesn't seem to be right we can always switch later on.  We're hoping for sub 4hrs. (& I'm hoping to lose this xmas weight)

• Options
    As a Mancunian doomed to live in London, I've decided to enter this - seems a good place to run my first marathon! Nine weeks after the London Ultra (50K), so I hope I have time to rest and build again, including doing some speedwork - I may have managed a 24-mile training run two days ago but my pace has fallen off and I've not been doing any faster work - just managed four miles in 32 minutes today.
  • Options
    Welcome Debra....

Gym today for some cross training. 1.5 kilos put on over Christmas, all around my middle. I shall refer to it as my 'quality street tyre'. Felt bad. Need to step it up now. Doing Rome first and that's only 10 weeks away. Bug&er image
  • Options

Right... After signing up early and getting injured I think I have finally got the umph to get back in to this...

Ran my first Marathon in Stratford last year and was chuffed to bits to get 3:24 ran Wolverhampton and blew up after 18 miles and ended up with 3:44, ran Coventry half and got 1:29... and forgot to warm down and pulled my hamstring when I next ran (lesson learned) 

So after a slow couple of months and a good old break over a hearty Christmas... Hamstrings tender but working... speed getting back to a decent pace... distance ramping up slowly... maybe I will actually be on track to start training properly for this.

Happy to be running again so 3:30+ would be great faster better butjust glad to be back on the road

Anybody else recovering from hamstring problems any advice or stretches would be great

good luck all 

• Options
    Is anyone else following the 18 week schedules in the book "Advanced Marathoning"?
  • Options

Hi, i am but the 24 week schedule, its got me down for 16 miles tomoz. But for you
    A 12 miler i believe. Oooh i might change my plan. Doh.

• Options
    Maybe get together 3 or 4 plans and pick the easiest weeks from each as we go along?;-)
  • Options

Sounds good to me- Anything after new year is going to be tough, reminder to
    self to take taxi/bus money!!!

• Options
    Ah, the famous "emergency fiver"!
  • Options

How are you finding the training plan? ( dont say with your eyes) !
  • Options
    I'm doing the 55-70 mile a week plan and I'm finding it OK at the moment, maybe its still novelty value but the plan seems to favour a lot of miles over intervals which suits me fine.

I'm pretty unathletic but my time at Manchester won't be poor for lack of miles run in training. How are you doing? I take it you are a good month and a half into your plan?
  • Options

Splutter splutter, im only four weeks in, i jumped into the plan at 20 weeks as i felt that was were i was running wise, as i run all the time. Im only doing up to 55 miles per week so it will be interesting to see how we get on. Good luck.

• Options
    What sort of time are you aiming for Mish? In my only other marathon last October I got 3:53 after 12 weeks of pretty unstructured training and will be hoping to be near 3:40 in Manchester.
  • Options

Thats a good time, im hoping for anything between 3.30 and 4.00, so vague! I got 4.15 at liverpool but my thigh seized up, my training would have suggested a lesser time, hence me being vague!! Im sure you''ll get your time on 70 miles a week, crikey.
  • Options

Sounds like you guys are really racking up the miles.  You should do well on that basis.  I'm also hoping for similar although I have another marathon 6 weeks before.  With that in mind I did an 18 miler this morning.  Impressive only because I'm away with work so was up 27 hours yesterday, am jet lagged and had a few cocktails yesterday.  On that basis I should have crawled it.  I was slow but  so far am still standing image  Just need to figure out what to do about the Christmas pirelli tyre I'm still carrying around my middle.

Have a good week one and all...

• Options

H

Nice to know someone else cannot get rid of that growth around the middle. Was 13 1/2 stone 4 years ago got that down to 11 st 3lbs when training for marathons over last 3 years but went over 12st for first time in 3 years over Christmas and even with 35 mile a week training still only down to 11st 11lbs. I am sure will go in next few weeks but hate it.

16 week training plan starts today bring it on!! looking at 3:50 for marathon. 

• Options
    Dave928Dave928 ✭✭✭
    I'm on around 20 miles per week and that feels like good training to me.

But then I read things on here like this:

"I'm pretty unathletic

I'm doing the 55-70 mile a week plan and I'm finding it OK at the moment"

Splutter splutter cough WHAT???

Sorry but this just boggles my mind. I cannot conceive of doing that sort of mileage every week, and I can't understand how someone who does this could possibly think themselves "unathletic"!

I've been running 10k's for years, but I'm starting to think that these marathon things are a whole new kettle of fish...
  • Options
    Sorry Mike, what I meant was that I'm a plodder rather than a "proper runner". I can do plenty of slow miles no problem but stuff like intervals and 10k's kill me.

My running is bloody mindedness triumphing over a lack of athleticism....;-)
  • Options

Not been on the forum for a while, as I haven't been getting updates for some reason.

Training started this week, but I have been ticking over during the holidays. There is some major mileage being clocked already and I'm very impressed.

My mileage is averaging at around 30-35 miles at the moment, but I intend to follow the RW ultimate guide for a sub 3.45 time, and the mileage goes up to around 50 miles pw.

Got new ASICS Kayanos and reckon I'll need another pair before the race.image

I'm also thinking about doing the Brathay marathon at Windermere 3 weeks after Manchester - has anyone done Brathay before? I would be grateful for any comments. Will I have enough time to recover?

• Options
    I've only done one marathon xe but there's no way I could have run another one 3 weeks later and run it in a decent (for me) time. It took me that amount of time to get back to doing 10 mile long slow runs.
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Hello all....my training went to pot a bit over christmas, managed a few 8 mile runs and a 6 mile run. Back in the groove now, but not doing anywhere near as much as some of you. My long run this weekend will be somewhere between 12 and 15 miles, and I'll build from that. Also doing some intervals etc during the week to mix it up. Aim to be running between 40 and 50 miles a week in about a months time.

Mike - you need to build up your weekly mileage a bit - but slowly does it, otherwise you'll just end up injuring yourself.

• Options
    xe wrote (see)

Not been on the forum for a while, as I haven't been getting updates for some reason.

Training started this week, but I have been ticking over during the holidays. There is some major mileage being clocked already and I'm very impressed.

My mileage is averaging at around 30-35 miles at the moment, but I intend to follow the RW ultimate guide for a sub 3.45 time, and the mileage goes up to around 50 miles pw.

Got new ASICS Kayanos and reckon I'll need another pair before the race.image

I'm also thinking about doing the Brathay marathon at Windermere 3 weeks after Manchester - has anyone done Brathay before? I would be grateful for any comments. Will I have enough time to recover?

Windermere is quite tough but it's doable three weeks after.  That's what I've been doing for awhile now as it keeps me at marathon fitness without doing the training miles, I recon you'll be fine image
  • Options
    I'm doing Rome 6 weeks before.  I've done 2 that close together before and been ok.  I'd just say take it really easy inbetween, not much running and not at a fast pace, lots of muscle repair foods/ protein and you'll probably be fine image