Options

Time to resurrect a Strictly thread!

Comments

• Options

Everything about Kara's showdance was wrong for me. I hated the music, the routine, the costumes, the fact it broke Kara...

I think Artem took a gamble and made it a contrast to their other dances, the rumba, waltz and AS. Maybe he felt they needed something upbeat and acrobatic to show a different side? He was lucky that Matt's dance was equally bizarre and that Pamela's was a bit boring.

I wonder if Aliona has an advantage in that she's already done a showdance. Maybe now she knows what NOT to do?

• Options

Anyone know which dances Harry is doing in the final? image

I haven't been able to watch ITT this week ...

• Options
    TopSecTopSec ✭✭✭
    Sorry xine, don't know, maybe is he on ITT tonight?

I can't remember all the show dances but I seem to remember Chris & Ola's wasn't great but he already had it in the bag by then with the fabulous charleston. I won't mention the one shown above image I think they were out by that part of the show anyway weren't they? Brendan just wanted to show off his ready wrapped turkey?

T&C's I absolutely loved and those of you that don't remember google Jill & Darrens, perfect mix of moves and speed, not a great deal of lifting and brilliantly choreographed to a great track. Just rewatched it whilst typing this and it reminded me of how much I loved that partnership image
  • Options
    TopSecTopSec ✭✭✭
    Forgot to say that as much as 'Bacofoil' was an OMG moment, it wasn't half as bad as Colin & Erin, I was practically in tears watching it thinking "Erin, what the hell have you done?!"
  • Options
    I didn't remember anything about Kara and Artem's showdance so have just had a look - I hated it, didn't even bother to watch it all the way through!
  • Options
    Erin and Colin's show dance had to be the biggest mistake on Strictly ever! I was gutted!
  • Options

TopSec - I hope so, I'll actually be home in time to watch it tonight image

The show dances are my least favourite part of the finals, call me old fashioned but I like the dances that are actually, y'know, dances. I'd prefer it if they did a 'breaking the rules' version of a 'proper' dance (e.g. including otherwise illegal lifts or without being pulled up for being too much out of hold - like Harry & Aliona's Hallowe'en tango which I LOVED) or a medley of a few styles of 'proper' dance, not the show offy, jumpy, twirly, oooh-aren't-I-clever-I-can-do-a-cartwheel-no-wait-I-can-do-TEN-cartwheels-then-sling-my-partner-round-like-a-sack-of-spuds! extravaganza that they usually are.

And ... breathe! image

• Options
    Ah yes, absolutely - gymnastics has very little to do with dance ability IMHO. Can't wait for Saturday.
  • Options

Here are the dances for the weekend:

Chelsee: new dance - rumba (hope it's not too cheesy), old dances - QS and Jive (hopefully a normal looking Pasha), showdance - looks like disco/latin

Harry: new dance - AS (think he's got the best one), old dances - QS and AT, showdance - looks like rock and roll/jive

Jason: new dance - salsa (uh-oh!), old dances QS and Tango, showdance looks like Hollywood

Looks like it's going to be a Quickstep-off! image

• Options

Ooooooh, looks like Harry has a good selection image

I'm going to be out on Saturday night (going to watch The Nutcracker so I will still get my Saturday night dance-fix) I'll be on edge until I have the chance to watch it on iplayer!

Are the results announced on Saturday too?

• Options

xine  - which Nutcracker will you see? I've noticed very good reviews for one or two current productions  - but admit to loving Matthew Bourne's which I saw a few years ago when he first revisited it. Lovely dance treat whichever one you go to. Hurrah!

As long as it's not Madame DoreenTwinkletoes Dance Academy at the Commuity Centre I guess.... although that could have its own peculiar charms now I come to think of it.

• Options

Yeah show is in two halves with the results in the 9pm section. Then it's all over for another year. Wah! And to think I wasted several of the early years being snooty about it and not watching on principle. Administers stern slap to self. 

It then became a guilty pleasure hidden from my scornful bloke. But I've got him addicted this year too. So much more fun! He even watches ITT with me... and searches out old youtube clips.

• Options

sharkie - I'm going to see Matthew Bourne's version image  I saw his version of Cinderella last year and absolutely loved it, so I can't wait to see what he does with this one. Have you ever seen his Swan Lake? I've heard it was brilliant and watched a couple of youtube clips but unfortunately haven't seen it live - I hope he brings it back in a couple of years!

• Options

Ahh ... now I have a dilemma - do I check the results when I get home on Saturday night or try to hold off until Sunday when I can watch the whole program?

My Strictly story is the exact same as yours! First ignored, then a secret shame, and now I'm a loud & proud Strictly fanatic. I often watch it with my boyfriend, probably for different reasons ... he loves Ola and Kristina. In fact I think he would be quite excited at the idea of 3D Kristina on Saturday night if he could get to a cinema showing the final image

• Options

xine I genuinely lol-ed at your last post. Raffo (my OH) does say things like 'load of fit birds - what's not to like?' I have just read out your post to him. He was initially taken with Ola and Flavia. (fwoaar eh etc) Now is similarly attracted to the flesh flashing Siberian.

To be fair to him though - he's pretty good about the dance stuff too. I dragged him to MB's Swan Lake years ago and he said it was one of the very best and most affecting live productions he's ever seen. It's still my favourite Matthew Bourne and you absolutely must see it next time it's revived.

I'm envious of your Cinderella. I didn't get there last year and was gutted. We've seen nearly all his shows (although 'show' sometimes sounds a bit wrong. Not sure why. MB big fan of 'shows'.)

I'd say wait and watch the whole programme if you can. What a dilemma though.

I love your 'loud and proud.' We're OUT! image

• Options

sharkie - Ola is my OH's other favourite and he has favourable comments about Flavia and Aliona too image It's all in good fun though and I like that we can watch it together instead of exiling him to watch F1 repeats. I've yet to persuade him to come to the ballet with me, but we did go to watch "Tanguera" at Sadler's Wells last year so I think I'm making progress.

Cinderella was fantastic, I have seen it at the National Ballet as well but I found MB's version much more engaging. I'm sure he will revisit it in a few years time - I signed up to the Sadler's Wells mailing list so I'm kept in the know image

I think you are right, I'll try to wait to watch the whole programme at some point on Sunday. I might have to surrender my phone and laptop on Saturday so that I can't cheat!

EXCITING!

• Options
    TopSecTopSec ✭✭✭
    Watch the whole thing on Sunday Xine, but avoid the internet until you have!

I have been loud and proud since Series 1 although Mr TS is a more recent convert. He does pass the odd comment like 'not enough dancing' 'too skippy' etc but he hasn't yet got to the intricacies of heel leads and fleckerls image

• Options

Top Sec Have to also admit that I am only just getting to grips with the ballroom dancing niceties. I'm a lot more at home with ballet, contemporary and jazz! I've always loved Fred Astaire and co  - but strange memories of fixed smiles, fixed hairdos (men too) and enormous meringue frocks on Come Dancing with Peter West put me off the idea of Strictly when It started. Shows my age!

I also couldn't stand Brucie, but think he's just a bit of a laugh now.

• Options
    Thank goodness it's all on on Saturday night........means I don't have to resist peeking at the spoiler image
  • Options
    I love Matthew Bourne's work. Definitely a guilty pleasure for many blokes.

Anyway, I didn't come here to talk ballet. I dropped in to say........ HARRY TO WIN image
  • Options

image TSK - Obviosuly it's going to be Chelsee and Pasha! image

PS: Like your sparkles, Mr W! image

• Options

Thanks Nemo

Chelsee: new dance - rumba (hope it's not too cheesy), old dances - QS and Jive (hopefully a normal looking Pasha), showdance - looks like disco/latin

Harry: new dance - AS (think he's got the best one), old dances - QS and AT, showdance - looks like rock and roll/jive

Jason: new dance - salsa (uh-oh!), old dances QS and Tango, showdance looks like Hollywood

Looks like it's going to be a Quickstep-off! image

Agree Harry has the best. salsa is a pig and Rumba is the Killer although worst for the men. All Quick -Stepping,. If Harry repeats his original performance of this then will win that- it was superb. other original dance could be close.

Showdance- Jason - Hollywood. What I thought Kristina should do. I suspect that will be good.

Chelsee - Disco / Latin. Could be OK but Disco can be hit and miss as a stle - will need good choreography

Harry - Rock and roll/Jive - could be OK. Pressure on Aliona to pitch it right, Option for her to not wear too much though which will be worth a couple of votes... image

Not long now. Results on the night. Away this weekend but will stay in and watch fro mthe hotel room I think.

• Options
    TopSecTopSec ✭✭✭
    Yay, back in the UK so can watch live image>

Missed last nights ITT so will catch up with that this afternoon prior to tonights hour long special image

Before the final, let's have a thread poll/list? Who will win? Who do you want to win

TopSec - Chelsee/Chelsee
  • Options
    TopSecTopSec ✭✭✭
    whoops - that was supposed to be a party smilie! image
  • Options
    TopSec wrote (see)
    Yay, back in the UK so can watch live image> Missed last nights ITT so will catch up with that this afternoon prior to tonights hour long special image Before the final, let's have a thread poll/list? Who will win? Who do you want to win TopSec - Chelsee/Chelsee

Who will win? Who do you want to win?

TopSec - Chelsee/Chelsee

xine267 - Could go to any of them/ Harry, Harry, HARRY! image

• Options
    M.ister W wrote (see)
    I love Matthew Bourne's work. Definitely a guilty pleasure for many blokes. Anyway, I didn't come here to talk ballet. I dropped in to say........ HARRY TO WIN image

Woop woop! *passes out the TEAM HARRY flags and tshirts*

Assuming that MB does another production next year, I will drag Mr X along with me, I'm sure he'll thank me for it after image

• Options

TopSec - Chelsee/Chelsee

Little Nemo - Harry/Chelsee image

• Options

TopSec - Chelsee/Chelsee

xine267 - Could go to any of them/ Harry, Harry, HARRY!

Little Nemo - Harry/Chelseee

sharkie  - I think probably Harry but Raffo (OH) thinks Chelsee/ we are both rooting for Harry though. image
    I think any of them would be 'worthy' (for want of a better word) winners.

xine - Raffo now really likes Aliona as well as thinking she is Fit Bird.

• Options
    Santa's Little Nemo wrote (see)

TopSec - Chelsee/Chelsee

Little Nemo - Harry/Chelsee image

Erm image - Harry / don't mind too much but probably jason image or harry.........or chelseeeeee
  • Options
    It could go either way between Harry and Chelseeeeeeee. It's too close to call and neither of them have had to rely on the public vote yet so we don't know who is most popular. I want Harry to win because Chelseeeee, fabulous dancer though she is, still annoys me. I also think he's been undermarked so a win for him would be sticking two fingers up to Craig, for not giving him a 10 for the V waltz, and Len, for being unable to see the obvious passion in his Argentine Tango.