Options

Ballot Entry London Marathon has to CHANGE

1234568»

Comments

• Options

I disagree with kittenkat, I think the GFA times are just as hard for a women to achieve as a man. In my view the GFA is about allowing the average person who is willing to put the work in the chance to run London. The times aren't paticularly good for a dedicated club runner, that's what the championship start times are for. But they do allow your average Joe a different route in other than the ballot if there willing to put the work in.

It really get's my goat though when people claim the women's GFA is so much easier to get than the men's. It really isn't! Women generally (outside of the elite/high level club runner where the gap is smaller) find it 30% harder to run than men. The difference between men's and womens GFA is pretty much spot on. It's just most women seem to be to modest and don't really that 3hrs00 is a f*!?ing awesome time for a female and most men are the opposite and happy to blow there own trumpet when there time probably isn't even that special for a bloke. I really wish that women would give themselves and other women a break and start to realise that our GFA is just as hard (or easy depending on how you look at it) as the men's to achieve.

• Options

Interesting discussion. I feel that 'Running' specifically as defined by the London Marathon and the BUPA races is becoming a bit of a middle class pursuit. I blog on this on my 'Studs, Stumps and Spikes' wordpress:
    http://robweaverregen.wordpress.com/2012/04/21/is-running-only-for-the-middle-classes/

• Options
    PiersPiers ✭✭✭
    I think the age graded equivalent percentages give a good comparison of Virgin Marathons GFA times.

Men
    Age %
    18 68%
    39 68%
    40 67%
    59 77%
    60 72%
    64 75%

Ladies
    Age %
    18 61%
    35 60%
    49 67%
    50 65%
    54 67%
    55 64%
    59 66%

It is clearly slewed towards the ladies. Personally think GFA should be the 70 percentile, then it really would be "Good for Age"

This would be;

Senior Men: < 3:02
    Vet 40-45: approx < 3:05
    Vet 45-50: approx < 3:11

Senior Ladies: < 3:18
    Vet 35-40: approx < 3:19
    Vet 45-50: approx < 3:32

Piers
  • Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Nice objective analysis, Piers. Clearly shows that ladies do generally have it a bit easier in relative terms, and that V50 guys have a job on their hands, both points made earlier.

Rob - it's a good job I don't define running by way of charity-hijacked events then.  image  In that respect I suppose you've got a point, but hopefully there will always be a place for club-organised races, which are open to all and IMO good value for money. 

• Options

yes

only able bodied or self propelled in wheelchairs - attaining a certain time need apply

sick and disabled needing assistance need not apply - no matter how highly expereinced a marathon runner their carer is

• Options

have a walking marathon on a different day of the year.

That would weed out 30% or 70% and have a running one on another day of the year.

Might also stop people with times of 6 hours getting to and starting near the front. SELFISH.

• Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭
    rugger_bird wrote (see)

Women generally (outside of the elite/high level club runner where the gap is smaller) find it 30% harder to run than men.

Curious where that information is from or how you came to that conclusion?

A lot of women I know cruise round to GFA times, they know they are easier to achieve and will admit it. I think Piers shows a pretty good example that they are more lenient.

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭

Great stats. The 70 percentile thing looks like a good idea, albeit probably putting me out of a chance of getting in. This way it would be fairer for everyone.

• Options
    PiersPiers ✭✭✭

The issue is that it isn't a "Good for Age" time, it's a:

"We dont want the race to be overwhelmed with 35 - 55 year old blokes Time".

VFM wants more women runners and skewing the "GFA" times is the way to do it.

• Options

When do the marathon organisers send the in or out places for 2013

• Options

Normally in October.