Options

VLM 2012 first timers???

Comments

• Options

I like your thinking kiwiimage

• Options

Yeah. I have never changed them after 500 miles. Interms of marathoning that would probably mean  about every 3 months. The running companies would of course tell you to do this !!

• Options

That should say running shoe companies !!

• Options

Hi everyone

Shoes seem better, the test will come after I have been for a long run.  Siony I had a look at the asics training plan, it seems quite good but the longest run is 18.5 miles and you only run that once.  image

Kiwi I have been a bit gullible really [ after reading running magazines etc]  and tend to change my running shoes more often than I should then. image

Happy running everyone ..... hopefully the rain will have stopped for my longer run on Sunday......don't want to get my new shoes wet !!

• Options

Decided I'm going with p+d training schedule I think

Doing my best to just keep things easy at the moment

• Options
    which one is that Siony.... you do realise I will probably be down loading all these plans again, memories of last time !
  • Options

Its from the book advanced marathoning by Peter pfitzinger and Scott douglas

Dont be put off by the word advanced- the 18 week/ 55 mile plan is a 4x week with good balance of runs

• Options

Yeah. It is a good schedule. Notice Like hal Higdon. He does not have you do any more than 20 miles for your longest run. I quite like that. I personally would never run anymore than 21. Let alone 26 !!

• Options

Hi kiwi- think I regretted doing a 22 last time round- gave myself a niggle in my groin. appart from panicking me I ended up missing a long run an tapered more than I wanted to. 

interesting if rather random chat with a Physio colleague on Monday- we got to talking about running ( as you do- most people who know me know not to raise the subject unless they wish to be bored by me) notice I'm getting increasingly flat footed ( flat shoes are now a no no. gave me some excercises to strengthen my feet which he says should correct my pronation( curling up toes/ picking up ball as example)

not sure I will ever get rid orthotics but would be great if I could improve

why did I not know about this before? 

Have you all had a good weekend?quite wet down here x

• Options

Hi Siony

If that ever happens again and you find the taper is slightly longer than you wanted, it is not neccesarily a bad thing. Better to be right and slightly undertrained than over trained and perhaps injured. A running coach/ athlete I know here in Somerset (who has run for GB and was a pro athlete) a few years back was starting his marathon taper. He became very ill during the taper and missed a weeks training, I also think his taper was longer than normal because of this, something like 5 weeks. He then went out and ran a PB of 2.18 !! The time off actually helped him ironically !! It is still his fastest time.

• Options

Hi just making sure everyone is ok after last night's storm, we got off fairly lightly here....Thank God.  Hopefully running tomorrow. 

Waves to anyone around xx

• Options

not much going on with me at the moment- but all well

waving back to all!!X

• Options

Hello all- its been a lovely day for running in Canterbury - and lovely to run in daylight. All winter gear out now- have to say I love my running tights

Mystery pain in my bum tonight- not sure what that is all about. Hoovering is painful though image 

P&d 18 weeks starts 2nd dec but think will starT few weeks early to allow forcolds etc.

Hope everyone is well and having fun x

• Options

Hi Siony

ooooh sounds painful, words of advice DO NOT HOOVER,  Weather here has been horrendous Saturday especially, think we had St Judes storm then !!

now going to have to work out when my plan starts, and also decided to start early, for the same reason as you image  Cant wait to get going with a training plan, hopefully will throw a few Park Runs in at the start, problem is they are on Saturdays so not much good when I start doing my longer Sunday runs.. [rest day on Saturday]

Started getting excited/scared yesterday when Mr P said 'need to look for somewhere to stay in London soon'   eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek !!

soggy, wind swept jazz hand waves to everyone image

• Options

Morning all. How's things ?? Just touching base again. Going to get back into it after a 6 weeks break !!

• Options

Hi Kiwi, my pre-marathon training plan starts tomorrow eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek !!

• Options

Aaargh- Achilles blip- did 2 laps bluewater in flat boots and pain back image

Puts early start to plan a little back

On the plus side at least I can see why and for once not running related so if im good should be recovered quickly

Been to physio today who has massaged tight muscles ( goog) and shock waves r Achilles ( butt clenchingly painful )

Ho hum- how are you getting on pip and kiwi?

• Options

Siony booo hiss to your achilles.  Started my pre marathon training plan this week. Running in the dark and cold but its been great.  Downloaded the asics one, so starting off using that, will propbably swap to the old favourite Hal Higdon one though.  Hope everyone is ok x

• Options

Hi Pip. Hal Higdons schedules are great. He keeps it easy and simple. I also like the way Matt Fitzgerald works !! Some revolutionary ideas, but more technical. Good though. Don't feel you have to stick religiously to a plan. Use them as templates. However if you have the time to stick to one that is fine too obviously. I have actually covered a little bit on this in the book I am writing. I feel that it can add a little more pressure if you think you have to stick to a schedule. We all have other things going on and some people feel if they have to do a run on a particular day, and they can't it can add a little more unneccesary stress. It really doesn't matter. schedules can be juggled around to suit the individual. We are not professional athletes. They can do this. 

Anyway. How are you getting on. Just started your schedule ?  .

• Options

Hi Kiwi thanks for that advise, just started running on regular days to make me a bit more disaplined and I like following a plan.  However sometimes I panic/get stressed if I miss a run and then try to catch up and maybe do to much.  I am trying to figure out when my actual Marathon plan starts. Hal Higdon is 18 weeks, think I will do what I did last time and follow the novice 1 and maybe juggle it with novice 2 what do you think ??  my main aim I think is to complete it un-injured this time and to enjoy it !! 

When your book comes out let us know

So when are you starting your London Marathon training ?

• Options

Already started Pip. Have been hitting the track for some 800 m reps and have got a 10 miler om board, plus a couple of 6 mile runs. So back into it again. Juggling those 2 schedules about are fine. I know them.. As I say, I like the way Hal Higdon works.

• Options

I am actually aiming for The Cyprus marathon in march. Then London.

• Options

being good and resting and bloody fed up- sorry will only do a small winge!

hope you are all ok and have started on your training plans.

may have to look at a slightly later marathon unless I come good in next few weeks- going back to see pod next weekimage

• Options

Hi all.

Injury problems Siony ??

• Options

Hello all!

Pip - how's the ore marathon training going?

Siony - image to the injury

Kiwi - jeez, how many marathons are you going to do next year?! Big respect!

I've taken a little break from running after my 16 miler in October. Been in Cambodia for three weeks, fantastic country but utterlY poor. Will start running again next week. Might look for a few half marathons to do early next year. 

• Options

Hi all

marathon training official starts Sunday eeeeeeeeeeeeeeek here we go again image

did a 10k reindeer run in local country park last Sunday, had a great time quite tough lots of hills, but really enjoyed it. Did it in about 53mins pleased with that. 

Siony ...hope you recover soonimage

Kaffeeg good to hear from you.

jazz hand waves to everyone x

• Options

Hi all. Hope you are all well. Most peoples spring marathon training has started now. Including mine. Hi Kaffeeg. H have 3 lined up for next year. Cyprus, London  and the Barnstaple marathon which is in September 2014 and a brand new race.

Have been so busy lately. Will try and get on hear more often !!

• Options
    day one of my marathon training...... only 23 miles to go. Gulp !! here we go again.
  • Options

Whooop pip! Exciting! Hopefully I can come andcheer you all on! 

• Options

Yep. It all starts again now. Actually my schedule is 5 weeks in advance of yours as London is in April, my race in Cyprus is in March !!! Already have a 15 miler in the bank !!