Options

Fink for Outlaw 2012

Comments

• Options
    Cheers AndyB99 ...flipin nora I'm going to have to sign up for something soon .... I would prefer Outlaw... I'll keep an eye on the website for places and keep my fingers crossed not all of them go before my December payday image
  • Options
    AndyB99 - where is the entries count for Outlaw on the site .. i can;t see it am I being a numpty ?
  • Options

Hi all,

After being in, and then out, I'm back in! Picked up Fink last night thinking I'd just follow it for some extra fitness, and then somehow ended up entering Outlaw! image

Just been looking through Fink, I'll most certainly be doing the Just Finish programme as time is the main factor for me.

The 1st few weeks look incredibly short though. I've been doing more than that for base training for the past couple of months - is it advisable to drop back, or just continue doing what I'm doing until the schedule catches up??? (I've been doing 3 weeks of low intensity stuff, followed by 1 week of lower number of sessions etc... for the past couple of months).

So for example the last few weeks I've been doing very gentle 40 mile bike rides with the cycling club, mainly focusing on the social aspect. I assume I should just keep these going, rather than dropping to 30 minutes next week for my ride?

Complete newbie, so all advice gratefully received! image

• Options
    MA, imo i'd say drop back...it will make the training seem very easy...which is nice...dont panic into going too much too fast...there is loads of time and you will be sick to death of it come may if you hammer it now.,,no reason not to ejoy your club rides though...just keep it nice and fun...cause you'll come to a pint where it is no fun at all by the time you hit peak image
    drop back..Z2 everywhere and just enjoy your easy time.
  • Options

Thanks Andy,

Think you're saying the same things as I'm thinking. Will keep the long club rides - I certainly don't do too much in them I can assure you!

I like Z2.

Right, diary up dated for next week. Can't wait. Hope this enthusiasm keeps!

• Options
    Actually I'd be inclined to say if you're just doing 40 mile rides and are enjoying the social aspect, then don't drop back. If you were doing them on your own or the club were doing 70 or 80miles, that would be different. The main advice I would give is listen to your body and don't be afraid to miss a session and take an extra rest day if you need it. This is coming from someone who was a slave to the schedule the first time round and ended up over trained, constantly ill and hating training by the time the IM came around and ended up taking most of the following season off!
  • Options
    Thanks Orca

Think I'll continue to do the long (but gentle) rides at the weekend, and let the cycling club dictate the distance, time, etc... I'll see that it kind of aligns with the plan and I'm not going completely off at a tangent.

For the mid-week sessions, I'll more closely align stuff to the plan and cut back the hours.

And very valid points about not following the schedule to rigidly - I've certainly no intentions of doing that and will be listening to my body at all times.

T-3 and counting?
  • Options

image Have a good weekend girls and gems the fun starts next week. image

• Options

good timing with the devil icon on message 666...or is that something you've be waiting for!

I'm going to enjoy the weekend and look forward to next week.

Will Outlaw clash with England's Euro 2012 victory? .......believe!

• Options

image I was trying to get a scean from the 300 on u-tube but work pc blocked me posting it. "Spartans! What is your profession? " If folks know the film they might find it funny and if not just a geek film referance.

It's time to rock kids. imageimage

• Options
    Printed out the first couple of weeks training tonight...getting quite excited now!!!!!!!!!

Will the excitement still be there at 6AM on Tuesday when the alarm goes off for my pre-work swim I wonder!?!

Bring it on!!!
  • Options

I started the Fink (intermediate) this week as I know I will be away skiing for a week in later this month. Enjoyed so far although the second swim session is 3100m and had to be cut short as many people on here have said would happen. Managed to squeeze in 2350m on tuesday and 2500m on thursday. 45min run tomorrow and then day off monday.

Bring it on......maybe!

• Options
    Is everyone ready? Big day tomorrow.......at least it started on the 26 th december last year.....moving the Outlaw to the 1st of July is just cruel........who's going hard core and training on xmas day then??
  • Options

Good Luck to all those Outlaw Finkers who start their 30 week training plan tomorrow!!

Find out what you've got in store with your 30 week plan!!

http://sub17.net/?p=333

Entries at 898 currently image

• Options
    M,oFoM,oFo ✭✭✭
    Blimey, I'll have to sit it out in 2012 I think, there's no way I can scrape the cash together in time. I'm going to take next year as a training year, maybe do a few sprints, and nail an IM in 2013.
  • Options
    Laid up with the lurgae and away with work on Wednesday/ Thursday. Knee still suffering with patellofemoral pain. Think my fink may be a little delayed in getting off the ground, but 30 weeks leaves plenty of time to catch up.

Good luck with the training.
  • Options
    Flat Foo.ted wrote (see)
    Is everyone ready? Big day tomorrow.......at least it started on the 26 th december last year.....moving the Outlaw to the 1st of July is just cruel........who's going hard core and training on xmas day then??
    I always train on Xmas day up early hours trail run done showered and starting dinner preps before anybody ibn the house has stirred sets me up for a hard days cooking image
  • Options
    Always start a plan on a rest day

Thats my motto

I barely have enough hours to sleep between work on Christmas Day this year but I would usually do something
  • Options
    M,ofo ... train as if you are in, I have no doubt there will be drop outs/reserve lists at some stage
  • Options

I'm aiming to run xmas day. Get out of the house and clear the head. Plus boxing day is a rest day image.

I'm completed week#1 twice now as a run-up. I've played around with moving a swim to Monday instead of Tuesday, but I now think I'm going to enjoy the weekly day off. I can move things around within reason though.

I'm quite looking forward to some more MTBing in the first 10 weeks for the 'long' Saturday ride.

Bring on tomorrow!

• Options
    I would love to get up and run Xmas Day but couldn't take the flack I would get if I did .....image  so I won't be.
  • Options
    You mean you'll be too pished on martini to even see straight by 9am..................image
  • Options
    Moi?  You must be thinking of another Saffers. image
  • Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭

I know tomorrow is the official start to the 30 week count down to Outlaw, so I was just popping on to wish everyone luck (I also think lots of people started a couple of weeks early - hope it's going well!).

I'm afraid I won't be there. After 6-7 months of thinking I loved it, I realised I do not like the bike much and that really is the key to a good triathlon. I resent spending money on something I struggle to embrace, and would much rather invest in a pair of Kurt Geiger's than a turbo machine, so I'm afraid I'm ooot.

I'm still toying with the idea of the swim and run, and getting someone else to do the bike bit. But there is a lot going on in my life at the moment, so I'm going to put that decision off for a while. I'm going to target a half mara in March and hope it goes better than the one I did in October (which wasn't all that bad, just a bit disappointing)... and will take it from there. Maybe a marathon, but maybe just enjoyable running.

Happy training all!

• Options
    Thanks Jevans......where have you been, not heard from you rof a while.....image
  • Options
    I run every christmas day, its a hour away from the madness! Swimming and running today.
  • Options
    good luck to everyone kicking of their training plans today.

enjoy the journey,
  • Options

Its today!!  Is everyone ready?  On your marks.........get set.......GO!!!!! imageimageimage

A run for me today but I suppose a lot of people are starting with a rest day. image

• Options

Gawd it reached 5th December a bit quick, it was 6 weeks to go last time I checked!

• Options
    hi guys - run for me too today, good luck everyone. have a look at the "something similar to last years competition" for a bit of motivation